Money no object digital front end

I agree with you entirely in a real world-- but if we get to the original post intention- it was a fantasy theory at best

I may be a dumbass but at least I have heard them-- and with my own demo CD and whether it was viable comparison or not is open to conjecture--thats all

I dont mind reading speculations on what's 'the best' CDP out there, I did start reading just for entertainment value, but I maybe wrongly took the original post intention ("This is not a theoretical conversation") to mean it wasn't a fantasy thread, that the OP might be in the market and wanted concrete input.

I'm always interested to read your impressions of high-end systems Willco, you luckily get to hear more of them than most of us, but I do still feel a need to promote sounder reasoning on hifi this forum even if it's not very entertaining. But people do love a bit of disagreement too, and I'm happy to do my bit  :)

Btw, if they manage to sort out world hunger between now and me making my millions, I'd probably also go for a DCS stack. 

I'm more interested in people's impressions of high end digital sources than debates about double blind testing or effective review methodology, so keep em coming! The discussion is "not theoretical" in the sense that I am in the market. 

• Like 2

I'm more interested in people's impressions of high end digital sources

Me too...is why I'm pointing out that you're getting an impressions of a high-end system, not a source. But carry on.

Alistair

I think most of us just have impressions - that is thoughts - of this type of gear. 

We would love to have it, but have not heard it and even more, can't afford it.

Willco, I think is one of the few with a "valid" opinion.

May I please make a suggestion: based on the $'s involved why dont you travel to Switzerland and the UK etc and listen to some of these products in the flesh?

Apart from giving you a first hand experience you can give us your honest opinion  :D .

I think Jventer makes a good point and the main reason I suggested the Naim CD 555 is that it is the best CD player I have actually heard for myself. There are probably better sounding products out there but if I have not heard them it serves no purpose to recommend them.

I also do not aspire to that end of the market, but I like it that many members do and that should be celebrated.  It's the yin/yang of remaining as an individual while also being part of a community.

well i was lucky enought to hear both the dcs stack and esoteric stack, the dcs on 2 occasions, once with B&W nautilus snails, and the other time with Verity audio lohengrin.

I wouldnt say no no either one

Alistair

I think most of us just have impressions - that is thoughts - of this type of gear. 

We would love to have it, but have not heard it and even more, can't afford it.

Willco, I think is one of the few with a "valid" opinion.

May I please make a suggestion: based on the $'s involved why dont you travel to Switzerland and the UK etc and listen to some of these products in the flesh?

Apart from giving you a first hand experience you can give us your honest opinion  :D .

That is certainly a great idea. However, my reality at this stage is that a wife and kids make travel difficult and that the time away costs as much or more in lost work than the actual travel, which all makes it tough. I should think about working something into the family holiday! 

Generally, I'm continually surprised at just what top end gear the SNA community has heard. We have an incredible collective knowledge here and I have been through several wonderful journeys discussing potential purchases and always enjoy hearing what SNAers have to say - whether from cold hard listening, double blind testing, hearing it at a show or general impressions about house sounds. To me, all are valid and interesting opinions. 

More generally, I've been reading a fair bit on these top end digital systems and the two brands that seem to come up time and time again and to always be at the top of the digital genre are DCS and Esoteric.

More recently, MSB and CH Precision seem to have joined the top echelon, but they're johnny come lately in the very top end (although I know MSB has been around for decades) and it remains to be seen whether they remain there in the same way that DCS and Esoteric have. 

Some who were previously at the very top of the digital game seem to have fallen away from the leaders - Audio Aero, Accuphase and Playback Designs to name a few. 

These lists are not - of course - exhaustive. 

One thing I should have mentioned is that Redbook playback is very important to me. Almost to the point where if I could get an older Redbook player that was the duck's nuts on Redbook & a bit more organic than the DCS I'd just do that and keep the DCS for SACD and computer streaming - two areas where I am continually amazed by the DCS Puccini & u-clock and have no desire to upgrade. So, if that opens up some intriguing new options, please throw them into the mix! 

Thank you to everyone who is getting involved in this thread and please keep your suggestions, thoughts, musings and cheerful involvement going! 

• Like 1

CH Precision is VERY impressive. The real deal.

The engineers have great experience and backgrounds. Look for my writeup in the coming week or 2.

See the succinct show reports at www.parttimeaudiophile.com

Light Harmonic DaVinci is a top tier Dac too.

Send me your email by PM to discuss more in depth...

Edited by wis97non

alistairm,

Having lived in Singapore for 10 years (and still pop back there 1-2 times PY), I would highly recommend you fly to SIN.

All the high end brands are represented.

You could be done and dusted in two days and flight costs ex SYD are quite low.

My 2 cents on your thread and being a fellow dCS Puccini owner with U-Clock - dCS Vivaldi floored me and I also loved the CH Precision.

I don't think there is any BEST as no one can hear everything and of course the best way to evaluate equipment of course, is in your own system.

Not always possible of course!

Best of luck with your search - it's all fun!  :D

• Like 4

Yep, it's an SCD-1.

It's a tank. Pity Sony didn't match the circuitry skills with the casing!

A modded one from Joe in SYD (http://www.customanalogue.com/) (I had mine done by the late Allen Wright in Switzerland) will compete up to the very high end players.

I used to own one so I am talking through first hand experience!

Yep, it's an SCD-1.

It's a tank. Pity Sony didn't match the circuitry skills with the casing!

A modded one from Joe in SYD (http://www.customanalogue.com/) (I had mine done by the late Allen Wright in Switzerland) will compete up to the very high end players.

I used to own one so I am talking through first hand experience!

Yep me too with Richard Kern US Mods--great players mine below --but with no Sled Motors now if it spits the dummy you are toast

I've owned both the 777ESD and SCD1 deservedly a place in Digital history --if you can find one with spares-grab it.

caveat--you can make a cuppa while they load :P

Those with them will understand 

Willco

S2.jpgSCD1.jpg

Edited by Willco

CH Precision is VERY impressive. The real deal.

Light Harmonic DaVinci is a top tier Dac too.

Both pictured at show last weekend

The CH  Demo was superb bested only by the Vivaldi stack in my opinion--both top shelf systems--interesting newTT from Switzerland--the Holborn with the terrific Jan Allaerts Finish Cart in the pic top.

The Light Harmonic (bottom)is getting Kudos as well-absolutely superb in the  Sopranimo ESL Room

A poster above mentioned the CH in the same echelon as MSB-umm sadly no--

I can categorically state no way are the CH Precision and indeed the Light Harmonic equal of the MSB--the Digititus Horrendus of the latter I heard into the Harbeths I heard at CES a couple of years back is still fatiguing

even at this show with Vince using the big Sound labs-- better but still no cigar from Moi!

The CH is on another planet

Willco

CH_P.jpgLH1.jpg

Edited by Willco
  • Like 2

For my money it's the Accuphase gear. I bought the DP-700 - one model down from their 2 box top of the range ( but it has the identical DAC array). In terms of build quality it would be difficult to find one that comes close. Don't let photos fool you. I have seen quite a few big buck shiny models up close and things like the drawer mechanism are quite agricultural compared to the Accuphase. The Accuphase transport is completely developed in house these days and has the smoothest mechanism and is totally silent. The timber outer case, solid persimmons, is finished better than most pianos. Opening the cover reveals the quality goes all the way through .

Sound wise it's sublime, but as suggested by another member, I will post a review at some point after the hifi show.

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

Willco,

I was with the CH guys recently. Look for a webzine writeup soon. Their tech is awesome. Colour me impressed and this is even without a listening demo (that will happen in January when they get a demo room setup).

I got detailed explanation of their breakthru tech innovations and examples of the quality they apply to their design process. Plus, some thoughts on future developments both concrete and conceptual.  Directed intelligence and passion wrapped up as one. What an enjoyable time spent!

Edited by wis97non

Naim NDS and two 555 DR power supplies. I would drive it with a CJ GAT/ART monoblocks into Vivid G2s with an all Nordost Odin cable loom.

Why? It's all up the chain from what I have. Naim nDAC and XPS 2 DR, is already pretty darn nice, in fact all you could really want from digital, but you did say money be damned. The interface and macbook I use ain't that pretty.

I run an NDS with a 555PS DR. We chose the NDS over a Linn Klimax DS and a bunch of super-duper DACs,the most memorable of which were the top of the range Chord and Audio Research models. I did not demo the DCS gear for fear of causing a supernova in my wallet. Here is a photo of the KDS vs NDS demo early last year:

8116931451_2da0616c75_z.jpg

We are now running the NDS with a single 555PS DR to great effect. The additional 555PS DR is just icing on what is already a superb cake. My dealer has been hassling me to take a second PS to home demo. At present I am being very firm about not letting in the house. He has already done pretty well in the last 18 months, what with new pre-amp, This is the current state of play:

10123249703_ec7ccab071_z.jpg

I can heartily recommend the NDS/555PS DR as the front end on a active Naim system. The KDS is great too, but we marginally preferred the Naim. The Chord DAC is a stunner sonically, but is a bit OTT in its blingy casework. I the end, we decided we couldn't live with it as it was a bit too "Look at me! Look at me" for our tastes. The Audio Research Reference DAC and DAC8 were really nice, but just did not do it for us.

• Like 4

I run an NDS with a 555PS DR. We chose the NDS over a Linn Klimax DS and a bunch of super-duper DACs,the most memorable of which were the top of the range Chord and Audio Research models. I did not demo the DCS gear for fear of causing a supernova in my wallet. Here is a photo of the KDS vs NDS demo early last year:

8116931451_2da0616c75_z.jpg

We are now running the NDS with a single 555PS DR to great effect. The additional 555PS DR is just icing on what is already a superb cake. My dealer has been hassling me to take a second PS to home demo. At present I am being very firm about not letting in the house. He has already done pretty well in the last 18 months, what with new pre-amp, This is the current state of play:

10123249703_ec7ccab071_z.jpg

I can heartily recommend the NDS/555PS DR as the front end on a active Naim system. The KDS is great too, but we marginally preferred the Naim. The Chord DAC is a stunner sonically, but is a bit OTT in its blingy casework. I the end, we decided we couldn't live with it as it was a bit too "Look at me! Look at me" for our tastes. The Audio Research Reference DAC and DAC8 were really nice, but just did not do it for us.

Woowww,

Nice System, Htm, that pic looks like it cost more than the my house :o !

So neat and tidy. :)