Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

• Volunteer

I understand that. There are only so many open source packages a vendor can test with - that's the downside of being open, I guess.

The Synology Media Server couldn't handle folders with FLAC files where the artwork was embedded in the files, but could handle a folder lever .jpg provided the filename format was specified as part of the ingestion routine for the folder structure in question. MinimServer just did it all and served-up the right info to Lumin.

I'd have to agree with Peter and say you probably need to do some investigation on your upnp service on how to do re-tagging etc. It's not really a Lumin issue as there is a recommended workaround.

You could always run both upnp services simultaneously, but only have the Lumin use the MinimServer instance and not your other one.

for my use case - i only use Lumin app when streaming radio or spotify which i only do for fun.

most of the time im streaming music from my jriver media server which bubble upnp works great. so im not phased as long as one of the two apps work.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 10:22 PM, wklie said:

For new Lumin units with analog outpus, please burn it in 7x24 for a few weeks with repeat playback.  Turn off the amp if necessary.

By the way, as we are working on supporting Radio Paradise FLAC, are there any other free FLAC radio stations that Lumin users are interested in?

I vouch for this. Im on my fourth Lumin and each one needed at least 2 weeks to sound great. With the T2 it was about 4 weeks before i felt it was really cooking!

1 hour ago, EHT007 said:

The android app development and firmware is very good!!  Over the past 12 months it kept getting better and better. Initially i was getting so many issues with phone freezing up, app crashing, now its rock stable !

I've also done custom LPS mod to my T2, i think this has made substantial improvement.

Only reason why i will be selling this incredible streamer / dac is the lack of digital input, cant utilize onboard dac.  I didnt think i would need it, but occasionally i do  especially while playing with REW and umik. :( 

20210314_181102.thumb.jpg.d6c5ccb271cd82d2dfb4832520ba9bb8.jpg

Which power supply are you using?

I also did a diy 12v socket to use with a Hypsos Ferrum supply. 

Beauty about the way I did mine is that the original power supply and iec socket remains. No cutting of any cables so can be put back to factory condition if needed. 

EB6E9F5B-1B9A-493B-B7CD-C9DA2DDE2D37.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, petng said:

I also did a diy 12v socket to use with a Hypsos Ferrum supply. 

Beauty about the way I did mine is that the original power supply and iec socket remains. No cutting of any cables so can be put back to factory condition if needed. 

Oh nice one. 

Clay done custom spec Kraftwerk for me. 

I designed and 3d printed socket that fits like a glove, still reversible but little more work.  

20210314_000032.thumb.jpg.d7c72c97da2be370a030c2d2fdd9559a.jpg

I'm using Minimserver - Synology NAS - Lumin X1 - Gryphon Diablo 300.

Previous setup was streaming from NAS to Marantz AVR using HEOS. Current setup is a big upgrade, I'm very happy with it.

I mostly use the Lumin iPad app but also sometimes use JRiver via my Windows desktop computer. Both do the job but I find using JRiver easier to navigate and find what I want.

• Like 2

On 30/08/2021 at 11:43 AM, Rosco8 said:

As there is quite a 3rd party industry (Teddy Pardo, Pixir power and SPower) now supplying Power upgrades why doesn't Lumin offer one as well or at least offer it as an package option on purchase ?

Relayed this to my boss and a product manager today.  Not happening, as expected.

6 hours ago, wklie said:

Relayed this to my boss and a product manager today.  Not happening, as expected.

Peter, thanks for doing that, and answer was what I expected.

If i was on your product team I would be wary of it eating into the U1's market position.

cheers

Rosco

52 minutes ago, Rosco8 said:

Peter, thanks for doing that, and answer was what I expected.

If i was on your product team I would be wary of it eating into the U1's market position.

cheers

Rosco

Surely there's more to the U1 than just a power supply? 

I don't see how offering an upgrade path be detrimental considering the price difference 🤔

5 hours ago, Gambit 1870 said:

Surely there's more to the U1 than just a power supply? 

I don't see how offering an upgrade path be detrimental considering the price difference 🤔

My comment was based on discussions on other forums where users compare the U1 vs U1 mini + LPS.  I have not heard a U1.

The majority do not say that they are equal but that it closes the gap.  With a price difference of $5, 856 (based on RRP in Australia) between the solutions if one can can achieve 80% (based on others comments) of the capability of the U1 then to me that is cost effective.  (U1 $9900 vs U1 Mini $3290 + SPower $754 = $4044).

Subjectively for me and based on other comments on forums the LPS upgrade does make a noticeable difference to the U1 Mini.

So Product placement and upgrades.  If i improve a lower graded product closer to the next product level then for some, like me, even though I would have preferred the U1 if i can get 80% of the capability for less than half price it was a compelling tradeoff.  In my case, even though I could afford the U1 I I chose the U1 Mini plus LPS, and I see many others on forums making the same decision, if it was purely the U1 vs U1 Mini then there is more reason to buy the U1 or likelihood to upgrade which is where my thinking was for the U1 at some point.

Is it then in Lumin's interest to improve the U1 Mini bringing it closer to the U1 at more x2 the price ?  Will it cause sales leakage of the U1 ?  I assume it would.  But as I don't know the profit margin on each unit, nor the unit sales, or have done a full analysis on competing products in the market for each unit I can only hypothesis that improving the U1 Mini would have a detrimental effect on the U1 sales.  But I also may be smokin' some bad weed when i thought that and talking absolute rubbish so its good to question my logic and statements  😁

Some Audiogon thread comments

'Dealer says 'U1 mini + sps 500 is about 80% of the U1'

'The U1 Mini+S Booster combo is a serious step up from regular computer streaming and it beats most streamers at the same price range currently available on the market but it can’t hold a candle against its big brother, the U1.'

'The U1 Mini already have a “higher” noise floor than the U1'

'For the records the transport section of the U1 Mini and U1 are not the same, the mini has the same digital section as the D2 and the U1 has the same digital section as the S1.'

'Steven Huang of audiosensibility who finds that sbooster + u1 mini is about 80% of the performance of full U1'

Now this review  i feel is over the top  😁

www.whathifi.com/au/reviews/lumin-u1-mini       'And when I say ‘much of the same hardware’, the U1 Mini is a perfect example, because it uses almost exactly the same circuitry as the Lumin U1. Indeed the only differences between the U1 and the U1 Mini of which I am aware, other than, of course, the size, is that the U1 has a very large external linear power supply whereas the U1 Mini’s power supply is a compact switch-mode type that’s actually built inside the chassis. And of course the chassis itself is also different, because whereas the full-sized U1 has Lumin’s ‘classic’ chassis, which is CNC-routed out of solid aluminium'

Edited by Rosco8

4 minutes ago, GMoon8 said:

Is there any difference between a Lumin U1 mini which is new and unit that may be two years old? Has there been any changes or improvements over the years?

No difference.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 2:25 PM, Rosco8 said:

Well i was coming from 2x Node 2i's so can compare with it.  

Now I read a lot of comments on music forums about people upgrading to the U1 Mini.  My subjective review is more stage and more detail, I felt it lacked a bit of musicality at 1st, more detailed technical sound but that improved (burn in and ears adapting ?) and then improved again with the SPower upgrade, so choice in retrospect for me would be U1 vs U1 Mini + SPower kit.  I am very happy where its at now.

Then my main systems are for dedicated and typically lengthy listening sessions.  Would i put it on my secondary systems .. nupe for what they are and used for the Node 2i's do a fantastic job.

Pretty spot on with what I found. I still have to do the PSU upgrade but at this very moment, I don’t feel the Lumin Mini performane (stock) justifies the extra expense over the Node 2i. The Node 2i is heck of a bargain.

On 30/08/2021 at 11:42 AM, wklie said:

Yes, several Lumin users told me that they sold their preamp!

Not to say this is applicable to every Lumin user, but in case going direct sounds better to you (after an A/B comparison - every setup is different), you don't need other inputs from the preamp, and you don't mind using the Lumin app volume (or have purchased Lumin IR remote separately) then going direct should really be considered.

Just wondering what preamps were the several saying to you they sold. $3k, 10K, 18k+ etc pre's ?

How do I get Minimserver. I have tried downloading it but I get to the point of activating the app in Applications directory and nothing happens. I am on Mac. Is there no longer the free version. I am missing something. Am trying to get the version 2 download.

4 hours ago, JD1 said:

How do I get Minimserver. I have tried downloading it but I get to the point of activating the app in Applications directory and nothing happens. I am on Mac. Is there no longer the free version. I am missing something. Am trying to get the version 2 download.

I have not done this installation on Mac before, try following this:

https://minimserver.com/install-macosx-mserver.html

Starter Edition is free: https://minimserver.com/licensing.html

I have had problems installing MinimServer on Mac I get there eventually but the need to have it for Lumin (which seems like an excellent product & I have an existing S Booster to take advantage of the power mod option) has me considering other options.  
My experience with MinimServer is that is somewhat clunky and not especially user friendly & plug n play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer
5 hours ago, wklie said:

Free FLAC radio stations now available with Firmware 14.2.

Jazz Groove (paid) Premium FLAC is also basically working.

Hi Peter,

Think I may have found the first "undocumented feature" 😉

The Idle Sleep value seems to be ignored when pausing radio stations. Still works fine when pausing either Qobuz or local NAS streaming.

I'll retry with other stations, it's repeatable with BBC Radio, but I've yet to try others.

Cheers

Terry