Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

Guest AndrewC

Thanks I am on Synology...Dont seem to have Jriver

I was curious about this, so I did some digging for you… If you want to stick with your Synology, depending on your NAS model, you have one or both of the following options;

- Run the Virtual Machine Manager package under your Synology NAS, and install and run MC for Linux on the VM

Or (if your Synology NAS doesn’t have enough VM grunt)…

- Run the Docker package, and install the containerised version of MC

I’ve not tried the above myself, I’m not into JRMC, and I don’t use my NAS for Audio streaming, but seems others have and it works well enough ;)

I was curious about this, so I did some digging for you… If you want to stick with your Synology, depending on your NAS model, you have one or both of the following options;

- Run the Virtual Machine Manager package under your Synology NAS, and install and run MC for Linux on the VM

I’ve not tried the above myself, I’m not into JRMC, and I don’t use my NAS for Audio streaming, but seems others have and it works well enough ;)

.....or just get a cheap 2-drive QNAP NAS..like the HS-251 Fanless NAS.

(Audio)

Guest AndrewC

.....or just get a cheap 2-drive QNAP NAS..like the HS-251 Fanless NAS.

(Audio)

True... Probably the easier choice if he's not into some Linux command-line activity  :P

Guest comfortablynumb

Agree just got myself a qnap 3 Bay wit raid 5 and 3 x seagate ironwolf Pro 6tb hdd for a dedicated music streaming

My other synology NAS is 4 Bay which I m using primarily for dsta backup n movie streaming

If you get a NAS to host your player, you are just dancing around.  End of the day, you will keep yourself a full blown server ....slowly, slowly, it will evolve into that.  Power is everything.

(Audio)

Guest comfortablynumb

If you get a NAS to host your player, you are just dancing around.  End of the day, you will keep yourself a full blown server ....slowly, slowly, it will evolve into that.  Power is everything.

(Audio)

So one shot one kill to. Get a full blown PC with win server OS and running AO

Thanks AndrewC!

• 1 month later...

Lumin (class AB) AMP photos and review (in Chinese) from a Hong Kong web site:

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201905/lumin-amp/

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201905/lumin-t2-amp/

Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avbuzz.com%2Faudio-video%2F201905%2Flumin-amp%2F

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avbuzz.com%2Faudio-video%2F201905%2Flumin-t2-amp%2F

(Note that the google mis-translation "(drum) is really dead" should be "to die for")

There is a promotion with purchase of Lumin X1 + AMP.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Lumin T2, about 30 hours on it now and I am slightly disappointed by the performance.. Or maybe I have set my expectations too high from the online reviews.. find that in my setup even though it has resolution, I losing a fair bit of engagement from music playback. The bass while excellent with the amazing layering, is also getting too much focus.

Just wondering does Lumin require a lot of run in to sound optimal? I currently connecting to my integrated tube amp using the balanced analogue outputs. 

Please burn it in 7x24 for two weeks or more, by enabling repeat mode.  You may also use a mix of different sample rates of PCM / DSD in the playlist.  You may turn off the amp if necessary.

Guest comfortablynumb

The X1 is a beauty

My only gripe is the power switch at the rear

I believe it was rear positioned for aesthetic reasons

The X1 is a beauty

My only gripe is the power switch at the rear

I believe it was rear positioned for aesthetic reasons

In all my many years of owning all 3 Lumins....I never used the power switch.  You switch off the Lumin remotely with your iPads or Mobile phone.

(Audio)

Guest comfortablynumb

In all my many years of owning all 3 Lumins....I never used the power switch.  You switch off the Lumin remotely with your iPads or Mobile phone.

(Audio)

I c

I always do physical power on/off

I c

I always do physical power on/off

One of the basics for great Hi-Fi sound is to keep your equipment on standby whenever you are not using them.  Try it.

(Audio)

Guest comfortablynumb

One of the basics for great Hi-Fi sound is to keep your equipment on standby whenever you are not using them.  Try it.

(Audio)

It has always been my practice to power off mains when not in use

will try it though

(Audio)

in the past i used to leave it in standby mode, but now turn it off more often due to rising electricity cost  and wanting to reduce carbon footprint

in the past i used to leave it in standby mode, but now turn it off more often due to rising electricity cost  and wanting to reduce carbon footprint

Oh dear, don't let PAP and SP determine how Hi-Fi your system should sound....please.  No matter how much of your carbon footprint you managed to reduced, the price of electricity WILL go up once the carbon tax kick in.  You are not directly being taxed.  The electricity supplier will have to pay this tax and it will be pass down to customers.

(Audio)

• 1 month later...