Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

Please unplug the USB thumb drive.  Power cycle the Lumin.  After it is booted up and shows the progress circle on the front panel, then plug in the thumb drive again.

Hi Peter,

My Lumin is unable to detect the thumbdrive every few times after usage and I need to do the above method again and again. Do you have a permanent solution for this issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Seek you advise. I recently acquired an X1.

Streaming 44.1k track upscale to DSD128, the music sound less organic and dynamic than my other setup of redbook CD disc play through a old Theta DAC.

Both X1 and Theta connect to same to a CAT pre/power amp, Focus speaker.

DO you have any recommendation on tweeting the X1?

Looking forward to your advise.

WIM

Some users reported they required hundreds of hours to burn it in.  Please put music of different sample rates to the Lumin playlist, turn on repeat and let it play 7x24 for several weeks.  Turn off the amp if necessary.

Please experiment with both re-sampling off and upsampling to DSD128.  Some people prefer straight PCM, some prefer DSD upsampling.

Since you mentioned streaming, you may try some music files placed on MinimServer freeware on local network, or a USB thumb drive.

Please also try the fiber setup:

http://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

On my system, playback at native sample rate sounds best.  Upscaling or converting to DSDS doesn't improve things for me.  I even tried Audirvana upscaling redbook CD to DSD512 on the X1, playback at native 44.1KHz, still sounds best. 

(Audio)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi , I am new to Lumin app. I found that every time I play a song be it from my music library or Tidal, Lumin app will transfer the song to a Lumin Playlist, and the next song continue Lumin playlist. Can I just play a song & continue from the same album/playlist in Tidal or music library?

Hi , I am new to Lumin app. I found that every time I play a song be it from my music library or Tidal, Lumin app will transfer the song to a Lumin Playlist, and the next song continue Lumin playlist. Can I just play a song & continue from the same album/playlist in Tidal or music library?

If what you are asking is whether it can just keep on playing songs after the first selected song from tidal ends, I believe it can't. It only plays from the playlist, which means you need to consciously select songs or whole albums and add it to the playlist. One of the reasons why I sold my lumin.

• 4 weeks later...

Lumin U1 or U1 Mini does not support Upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512?

Some users reported they required hundreds of hours to burn it in.  Please put music of different sample rates to the Lumin playlist, turn on repeat and let it play 7x24 for several weeks.  Turn off the amp if necessary.

Please experiment with both re-sampling off and upsampling to DSD128.  Some people prefer straight PCM, some prefer DSD upsampling.

Since you mentioned streaming, you may try some music files placed on MinimServer freeware on local network, or a USB thumb drive.

Please also try the fiber setup:

http://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

I think that’s native file playback. For U1 Mini Option screen, the upsampling for PCM is only up to DSD128 option. Unless there’s a new firmware update to allow higher than that?

If you are talking about U1 Mini, then yes, that's the difference between the U1 and the U1 mini, upsampling limited to DSD128.

(Audio)

Also, if you want to upsampling to DSD256 and you have the U1 Mini, you can do the upsampling with the streaming software.  I have managed to upsampling to DSD512 and then sending it to the X1 with Audrivana or Jriver.

(Audio)

Guest comfortablynumb

Suddenly can't stream from Spotify to the Lumin despite being available on my Spotify device list.

Can stream to other devices but just not the Lumin

It was working ok though.

Tidal is ok.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify

Log out and log in again still have problem

Also ran Spotify within the Lumin app also cannot

Maybe your network having issues at that time ?

Did you try to restart your LUMIN by removing the power ?

Suddenly can't stream from Spotify to the Lumin despite being available on my Spotify device list.

Can stream to other devices but just not the Lumin

It was working ok though.

Tidal is ok.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify

Log out and log in again still have problem

Also ran Spotify within the Lumin app also cannot

Lumin U1 or U1 Mini does not support Upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512?

They support upsampling to DSD128 only.

U1 and T2 supports playback of DSD256 file or DSD512 (upsampled from Roon or Audirvana).

U1 MINI supports playback of DSD256 file, but not DSD512 stream/file.

Please power cycle your Lumin X1.  After that, in Lumin app, please turn Spotify Connect to Off, then On.

On iPad, please logout from Spotify.  Reboot iPad, then login Spotify and retry.

If it's still not working, I'll send you a new firmware with the latest Spotify SDK.

Guest comfortablynumb

Did you try to restart your LUMIN by removing the power ?

No issues with network

Will power off and on the X1 later

Would Lumin app be updated to allow upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512?

They support upsampling to DSD128 only.

U1 and T2 supports playback of DSD256 file or DSD512 (upsampled from Roon or Audirvana).

U1 MINI supports playback of DSD256 file, but not DSD512 stream/file.

Guest comfortablynumb

Ok Spotify streaming all now after following steps from wklie and pcking

Thank you, guys !

Would Lumin app be updated to allow upsampling to DSD256 or DSD512?

No.  We do not have a high power processor in Lumin.  Some manufacturers advertise high power processor as a feature, but there is a different school that believes higher power is not necessarily better for SQ so they underclock the CPU in their products.  It's also not hard to find people underclock and undervolt the PC for audio.

Hi Peter thanks for your explanation.

Can you tell me what are the differences for U1 & U1 Mini? Especially in term of sound quality? Is it a significant difference in SQ? The reason I ask is because the price is 3 times difference, try to justify the cost of upgrading :)

No.  We do not have a high power processor in Lumin.  Some manufacturers advertise high power processor as a feature, but there is a different school that believes higher power is not necessarily better for SQ so they underclock the CPU in their products.  It's also not hard to find people underclock and undervolt the PC for audio.