Successful Sequels

A recent video discussed the reasons why many movie sequels failed. Bad sequels appear to be the norm but there are notable exceptions. What are some sequels that matched or surpassed the original (either commercially and/or critically)? 

It is not always clear cut - for example was 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' a successful sequel? I would argue 'yes' but I may be in the minority.  

Guest thethrowback

Godfather Part II was an example of a successful sequel. I think the later Harry Potter movies (and the books) were better than the first in the series.

Godfather_part_ii.jpeg

Rubbish movie

Idiotic

I just saw it at the movies last year for the first time since I saw it originally 

On the other hand The Godfather part 2 is arguably better than One

Taken together may be the best movie I’ve ever seen

There is also a trilogy of French moveies Manon Of The Spring although I think I’ve got the name wrong

I would have to google that one though

And of course there are the Star Wars movies

Toy Story, without a doubt, was a successful series.  I wanted it to end with Toy Story 3, and for a long time, did not watch 4, for fear of wrecking the magic.   Fortunately, it didn't...

• Like 1

Guest thethrowback
3 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

There is also a trilogy of French moveies Manon Of The Spring although I think I’ve got the name wrong

There are two movies in the series: Jean de Florette (1986) and Manon des Sources (1986). The movies were shot back to back as they are one story.

Edited by thethrowback

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

Godfather Part II was an example of a successful sequel. I think the later Harry Potter movies (and the books) were better than the first in the series.

Godfather_part_ii.jpeg

If quality is the definition of success then Godfather II must be up there. It was the first sequel to win an Oscar (not sure if it’s the only one). 

If box office revenue is the definition of success there’s any number of very ordinary movies that are successful

Just now, thethrowback said:

There are two movies in the series: Jean de Florette (1986) and Manon des Sources (1986). The movies were shot back to back as they are one story.

That’s them

Great movies 

• Like 1

Guest thethrowback
38 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Great movies 

You might know this already but there are two movies adapted from the autobiographies of Marcel Pagnol whose film Manon des Sources (novelised as L'Eau des collines) was adapted for Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources.

La Gloire de mon père (My Father's Glory) - 1990

Le château de ma mère (My Mother's Castle) - 1990

I also think they're good movies.

Edited by thethrowback

24 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

You might know this already but there are two movies adapted from the autobiographies of Marcel Pagnol whose film Manon des Sources (novelised as L'Eau des collines) was adapted for Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources.

La Gloire de mon père (My Father's Glory) - 1990

Le château de ma mère (My Mother's Castle) - 1990

Didn’t know that

Long time since I saw them

Pity there is Nowhere to see movies like that now

Lot of great trilogies by European Chinese and American  directors not linked by storyline’s but more the  style of the director although not exactly what @LHCwas getting at

14 hours ago, keyse1 said:

There is also a trilogy of French movies Manon Of The Spring although I think I’ve got the name wrong

Thanks for reminding me of these. I wanted to watch them years ago but they never played near me. They get great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Now I've found copies. Thanks again.

14 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Lot of great trilogies by European Chinese and American  directors not linked by storyline’s but more the  style of the director although not exactly what @LHCwas getting at

I guess Three Colours is an example of such trilogies. Happy to consider those as well as the challenge of successful film making is not dissimilar to the typical sequels and series. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If a Movie is really really bad , then does that make any sequels that are even badder , more successful at being badder?

The Original

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was quite BAD.

The Sequels

Return of the Killer Tomatoes was also quite BAD

Killer Tomatoes Strike Back was even BADDER

Killer Tomatoes Eat France was BADDEST

Edited by Saxon Hall
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Top Gun: Maverick has cracked the code for producing a successful sequel. There is no debate, and the only question is whether other film makers will follow this blueprint to success. Certainly nostalgia is a key ingredient for leveraging that fan base of the '80s (arguably the greatest decade for iconic music and movies). What movie from that era could respond well to a sequel treatment? Unfortunately one classic that won't get a sequal is Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Nevertheless, a sequel of sort was actually made and released in 2019 as a commerical. 

• 2 months later...
On 14/08/2021 at 4:40 AM, Guest thethrowback said:

Godfather_part_ii.jpeg

Undoubtedly way better than Godfather I. Although Mario Puzo's novel contains scenes from both films. Still one of my favorite films of all time.

• Like 1

On 14/8/2021 at 9:44 PM, Guest thethrowback said:

Now on SBS streaming if anybody interested

• Like 2