Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

xbox does though yeah ? 

Its going to get a lot better Al for x box series x and s with the new VRR 2.0 . in conjunction with the new unreal 5 engine we are just starting to lose the cross gen titles and shift to the new  architecture :classic_smile: No more being confined to 30fps if you want ray tracing for a start ..

VRS 2.0 Promises More Performance Gains On Xbox Series X/S - SegmentNext 

Heres a technical summary;

game stack events are where coders etc interact with others to collaborate on the future i believe

Edited by cwt
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Stood in front a A90J OLED and X95J LED full-array dimming, side-by-side same scenes yes I could see black levels and colour saturation improvement (who knows if the latter was due to picture adj?), but not sure if the $3k premium was worth it. We already have Lg 77" OLED so another OLED wasn't on the cards as this tv is for bright living room, ordered 85" X95J - I think the miniLED X95K pricing will be too close to OLED. What is important to us is XR processing (we still watch some FTA TV, DV and Netflix optimised modes as that is the only subscription service we have and the rest is HDR 4K or HD SDR local files.

• 1 month later...

Have had a 65" A1 for the last 4 years and love it, but want to upgrade.  Mainly watch movies via streaming and sport, with occasional gaming. Was close to pulling the trigger on a 83" A90J but then starting getting fomo with regard to the upcoming A95K.  Given where I'm coming from with the A1, will the upgrade to the larger A90J blow my socks off so much it will more than compensate for what I think I might miss out on with the A95k, especially as it is only at 65" ?? Thanks!

Edited by pabs
Additional info

23 hours ago, pabs said:

Have had a 65" A1 for the last 4 years and love it, but want to upgrade.  Mainly watch movies via streaming and sport, with occasional gaming. Was close to pulling the trigger on a 83" A90J but then starting getting fomo with regard to the upcoming A95K.  Given where I'm coming from with the A1, will the upgrade to the larger A90J blow my socks off so much it will more than compensate for what I think I might miss out on with the A95k, especially as it is only at 65" ?? Thanks!

Depends.

You will gain more impact with either, but in different ways.

A larger screen will always have more impact than a smaller one, and the picture on the A90J is already really good.

But from reports from those who have seen it, and are currently testing it [HDTVTEST], the A95K improves on the A90J in being able to reproduce brighter more saturated colours, and the rendition of highlights are supposedly better, plus overall the light output [Nits] is higher.

The panels from the A95K are being made by Samsung, and they are having problems manufacturing enough of them to supply them to both SONY for the A95K, and for their own Samsung S95B, which uses exactly the same panel, that's part of the reason both TV's currently have a biggest screen size of 65".

It's also reason why neither of these TV's are in the shops yet, release has already been delayed 3 times......last update was SONY has said mid to late July before they hit the shops in the USA, if that is the same in Australia, who knows.

But, and here is another FOMO situation, word has it there are plans to release larger screen sizes of both TV's once things have settled down, which seems to make sense since the demand for them would be high.

It's a tough decision, get a 83" A90J while there are still some around, or take the gamble and wait around a guesstimated 18 months [going by current production problems] for a larger screen size to A95K to appear, that's is it actually does. it's not 100% certain that it will happen.

There is something else that needs to be factored in, the SONY A90J is a proven winner, the A95K is the first of a new generation

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

Depends.

You will gain more impact with either, but in different ways.

A larger screen will always have more impact than a smaller one, and the picture on the A90J is already really good.

But from reports from those who have seen it, and are currently testing it [HDTVTEST], the A95K improves on the A90J in being able to reproduce brighter more saturated colours, and the rendition of highlights are supposedly better, plus overall the light output [Nits] is higher.

The panels from the A95K are being made by Samsung, and they are having problems manufacturing enough of them to supply them to both SONY for the A95K, and for their own Samsung S95B, which uses exactly the same panel, that's part of the reason both TV's currently have a biggest screen size of 65".

It's also reason why neither of these TV's are in the shops yet, release has already been delayed 3 times......last update was SONY has said mid to late July before they hit the shops in the USA, if that is the same in Australia, who knows.

But, and here is another FOMO situation, word has it there are plans to release larger screen sizes of both TV's once things have settled down, which seems to make sense since the demand for them would be high.

It's a tough decision, get a 83" A90J while there are still some around, or take the gamble and wait around a guesstimated 18 months [going by current production problems] for a larger screen size to A95K to appear, that's is it actually does. it's not 100% certain that it will happen.

There is something else that needs to be factored in, the SONY A90J is a proven winner, the A95K is the first of a new generation

Thanks, you make some very good points, and I've been leaning to purchasing the A90J to take advantage of the peak of current (old) tech and wait a bit longer for the new tech to bed down.  Apprecite the response.

On 19/06/2022 at 1:55 PM, JohnL said:

YES

I have a ISF calibrated  65" A80J and love it.

I would definitely recommend the bigger Masters Series A90J.

thanks...I'm definitley leaning towards bigger is better!

4 minutes ago, pabs said:

Thanks, you make some very good points, and I've been leaning to purchasing the A90J to take advantage of the peak of current (old) tech and wait a bit longer for the new tech to bed down.  Apprecite the response.

TBH I can't see the technology used in the A95K/S95B being around in it's current form for more that maybe one update in 2023.

Mainly because of Phosphorescent OLED that should be hitting in 2024.

34 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

TBH I can't see the technology used in the A95K/S95B being around in it's current form for more that maybe one update in 2023.

Mainly because of Phosphorescent OLED that should be hitting in 2024.

woah, that's outrageous!

Remember that if you watch in less-than-daylight conditions, more nits won't usually make a difference. 

My current A80J is more than bright enough for my use, and I already have the brightness and contrast at less than maximum.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Remember that if you watch in less-than-daylight conditions, more nits won't usually make a difference. 

My current A80J is more than bright enough for my use, and I already have the brightness and contrast at less than maximum.

agree.. 

you cant fight nits with nits :D 

my a90j is more than fine in our lounge room which his surrounded by windows and we do tend to open a few up... its not like we have sun blasting onto screen or anything...but the sony oled seems totally fine in these conditions

• Like 2

I agree, why the manufacturers put such a value of having brighter screens [Especially Samsung] for each new model seems a bit of a waste of time IMHO.

I watch in a light controlled room, so having a really bright screen doesn't appeal to me that much, as the current models can already hurt your eyes with some 4K material.

Seems more of a marketing driven thing to me, much like in the 70's when audio manufacturers were trying to top each other with the most powerful Receiver....showing my age there 😂

A really bright screen is OK, if you have a big open plan room surrounded with wall sized windows, but for most people 800-1000 nits peak output is more than enough, probably a bit too much in most cases.

A new Blue dye has been in testing for the last 6 or 7 years, and it has been found to be very stable, and light fast, as in doesn't fade over time.

What's held it back being used up until now has been making sure that is passes all safety tests, as in no way being poisonous, like the original formula of Cadmium based dyes and pigments, as it will also find its way into being used in colour printing, paints, clothes etc

It only got passed for use a few months ago.

Now if they could only create a colour fast Rose Madder, which to date can only be created from the Madder plant [Rubia tinctorum] and is the least colour fast of all the colours.

[I do Watercolur painting]

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I agree, why the manufacturers put such a value of having brighter screens [Especially Samsung] for each new model seems a bit of a waste of time IMHO.

I watch in a light controlled room, so having a really bright screen doesn't appeal to me that much, as the current models can already hurt your eyes with some 4K material.

My daughter has said more than once she much prefers watching our projector for movies as easier on eyes even though a larger screen.  So last thing we are wanting is a brighter screen with our tv 

41 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Seems more of a marketing driven thing to me, much like in the 70's when audio manufacturers were trying to top each other with the most powerful Receiver....showing my age there 😂

Seems that way doesn’t it .. have to have some way to keep the tills tuning over … have some way to have folk turn over their perfectly good sets … their business model depends on it :D

OK, mind made up, will wait for a sale (current $7995) on a A90J 83"...should have taken the leap when JB were offering an extra 10% Click Frenzy deal ☹️

Thanks for the input all!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pabs said:

OK, mind made up, will wait for a sale (current $7995) on a A90J 83"...should have taken the leap when JB were offering an extra 10% Click Frenzy deal ☹️

I wouldn't be holding your breath waiting for a sale on the A90J 83", you might not be able to get one pretty soon.

What with delays on the 2022 model SONY's and the fact that the A90J has probably stopped production already, add the fact that it's replacement A95K won't come larger than 65", I imagine what stock is left would be pretty low.

I just visited the AVS forum to see what the current ETA is with the A95K as reported from different countries.

France - 29th July

Germany - 13th July

USA - 13th July

TBH I'd be surprised if anybody from those countries actually got a A95K sitting in their lounge room before August.

As for Australia ???

Depends how far down the pecking order we are seen by SONY.

Edited by Tweaky

On 21/06/2022 at 7:49 AM, Tweaky said:

I think you re right.  Exaggerated  light output and colours do make a TV stand out from the others in the lineup at your local HN.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 9:12 AM, pabs said:

$6396 at JB this weekend, in stock

• Like 1

I have a 65in A90J as well as a 65in A80J. Bought the 90 after getting  the 80 as we had use for both and was influenced by all the reviews. Yep, I think getting the 90 was worth the extra cost...but not, as it turns out, for the brightness. I think the 80 is bright enough and have actually turned the 90 brightness down a bit. I don't like movies to look like cartoons, and I think that is how a very bright picture starts to look. A personal view, of course.

In terms of specials, Sony had the 55in A80J on special for a very short time for under $2,000, so ordered a second one of those as well. Now our bedrooms in both houses have 55in A80Js. I expect they will last longer than we do. 

• Like 3

On 10/07/2022 at 8:11 PM, curiousgeorgenz said:

Sony 65" A95K available for pre-order in NZ, NZD8499.95 whereas the 65" A90J is on special for NZD4553.00.

Personally, A95K isn't affordable whereas the A90J is definitely a consideration.   

Using a currency converter, and deducting the 5% difference in GST between Aus and NZ, that now make the 65" A95K AUS $7302, which is close to nearly AUS $1700 more than the original price given when that information was released earlier this year.

If there any other factor that I am not taking into consideration when comparing NZ and Aus prices ?

What place was taking the pre orders in NZ curiousgeorgenz ?

Sony Australia still doesn't have the A95K listed, or the X95K, where Sony NZ does.....sort of speakers volumes about Sony Australia, they have always been a shocker with their website.

The only 2022 OLED model Sony Aus has listed is the 55" A80K at Aus $3899

As for 2022 model LCD/LED its only got the X75K, X80K, X85K and X90K, all are listed as the biggest screen size available of 65" ATM, except the lone X80K which is available at 75"

If that price hike on the A95K is correct, I think I'll give it a miss.

My suspicion is that Sony know the A95K is the hottest TV ATM, and has whacked the price up to cover the loss in sales of their TV's generally, that would have occurred if their product line had been in the stores in March/April, like previous years for newly released TV's.

Seems to me Sony are asking you to pay for their production delay issues, and increase in transportation costs.....OK, I can understand a price increase to a point, but not a AUS $1700 increase on a 65" TV, that's just price gouging IMHO.

I'm not desperate enough to buy a Samsung, doubt I ever will be TBH,

But the LG G2 is looking very tempting ATM [ A 77" G2 is currently AUS $9500 ], except for that ridiculous wobbly plastic stand that they want a extra AUS $500 for [I can't wall mount 🙁 ], and there are none available anyway, I've checked.

I'll give it until mid August before I make a decision, who knows, Sony Australia might have updated their website by then.....I'm not holding my breath.

On 14/07/2022 at 2:54 PM, Tweaky said:

<snip>My suspicion is that Sony know the A95K is the hottest TV ATM, and has whacked the price up to cover the loss in sales of their TV's generally, that would have occurred if their product line had been in the stores in March/April, like previous years for newly released TV's.

Seems to me Sony are asking you to pay for their production delay issues, and increase in transportation costs.....OK, I can understand a price increase to a point, but not a AUS $1700 increase on a 65" TV, that's just price gouging IMHO.

The way pricing is done these days is using mathematics. You build a differential equation that maximises profit—generally it's a combination of costs, availability and demand. You work out the maximum cost such that the downturn in sales doesn't decrease the total profit.

I remember when it was different.