Goodbye NBN - Hello Starlink

Marc

On 02/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, Marc said:

Mine's somewhere between LA and Sunbury - excited. Will be using it with the UniFi USG Pro as WAN2 and configured for failover initially.

Yeah I’ll be deployed in a similar manner. I’ll have it set to primary with one of my NBN fixed wireless links as backup. My Telstra connection will get the flick

On 06/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, Marc said:

Seeing 200Mbps+ speeds most of the time now.

Works well, minimal dropouts so far :)

NBNCo should just have paid Elon to develop a system for them 😛

• "Starlink launched in Australia and New Zealand back in April 2021, and now features around 400 Australian customers."
  • "having 100,000 active customers"

I'd be surprised if those speeds and connection stability holds as the network loads up, but cool for now!

What's the upload speed like?

It's like you're driving down an empty freeway right now.

Melbourne toll road nearly empty during coronavirus crisis - ABC News  (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BagelM said:

I'd be surprised if those speeds and connection stability holds as the network loads up, but cool for now!

What's the upload speed like?

It's like you're driving down an empty freeway right now.

Elon is putting more and more satellites up for this service each month.  Uploads are about 30ish Mbps for now, but both up and downloads are scheduled to grow as the satellite fleet gets more densely populated in space. 

At the moment less than 2,000 satellites out of a proposed 12,000 are in the air and they are stating that when complete, 10 Gbps is the intended maximum access speed. You can read more here: https://www.makeuseof.com/starlink-vs-viasat-vs-hughsnet-satellite-internet-compared/

It will be very interesting to see if 10Gbps comes to fruition, but where we are in regional Vic, it is already far superior to NBN fixed wireless or that dreck Sky Muster.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

It will be very interesting to see if 10Gbps comes to fruition, but where we are in regional Vic, it is already far superior to NBN fixed wireless or that dreck Sky Muster.

Indeed.

Sure you can get about 10 or 20gbps out of a 5G radio .... but whether you do, is another thing.

The general hate for NBN is kinda sad..... pretty prime example of modern politics/media.

People shouldn't forget that FW is oversubscribed because we voted in the guys who said they would do that.

It's possible.... if the government instructs it do be done.   We could have this "world record".

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/nbn-sets-5g-long-range-transmission-world-record

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BugPowderDust said:

At the moment less than 2,000 satellites out of a proposed 12,000 are in the air and they are stating that when complete, 10 Gbps is the intended maximum access speed. You can read more here: https://www.makeuseof.com/starlink-vs-viasat-vs-hughsnet-satellite-internet-compared/

apparently they are painting them black to reduce light pollution in the sky.  There’s talks that most observation telescopes will be useless and talks that most will have to be implemented in space above and beyond the net of starlink.   But who gives a crap if you can’t see the heavens anymore….. as long as you have super fast online internet connection.   😂

• Haha 1

Come to think of it, ABB reduced the service from 100/40 to 100/20 about 12 months back citing the cost of nbn.   A few months ago they returned it back to 100/40 citing nbn cost competitiveness….  Hopefully more uptake on Starlink putting pressure on the monopoly of nbn to be more competitive and striving for better service for the new kid on the block.

I’m a part owner of a telco that is a structural infrastructure provider (read alternative to nbn for new developments). Developers hate dealing with nbn and are often very happy to look at better outcomes for themselves and their customers.

nbn’s remit has changed so many times over the journey that it’s laughable.  From originally being a mandated residential internet infrastructure provider to now as a direct competitor to all enterprise telcos, there’s nothing they won’t try to make a buck.

it really is a great example of how to not run a project on nearly every level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I’m a part owner of a telco that is a structural infrastructure provider (read alternative to nbn for new developments). Developers hate dealing with nbn and are often very happy to look at better outcomes for themselves and their customers.

nbn’s remit has changed so many times over the journey that it’s laughable.  From originally being a mandated residential internet infrastructure provider to now as a direct competitor to all enterprise telcos, there’s nothing they won’t try to make a buck.

it really is a great example of how to not run a project on nearly every level.

Very interesting.  My beef with NBN is that they do not consider themselves responsible for any pro-active maintenance of the physical integrity of their network,  in as much as they refuse to trim trees and other things threatening their cables and wires. Mine has been wiped out twice now, and I expect it to happen again come this storm season (and I am in a very normal suburb, not out in the country). Does your Telco deal with these problems?

• Like 1

• Administrator

I don't believe they are that big - I've read anywhere between 15 - 30kms on the User Groups. 

However, soon you will be able to travel with them and the cell restrictions will be removed I am led to believe.

• Like 1

At $130 a month and living in St Kilda I am getting comparable 250mps for less money with TPG.

For me the difference from 250 to a possible 300 wouldn’t shift me just yet as it’s bloody quick at 250.

Is there other advantages that I’m missing? 
Is Starlink expected to reduce per month when more subscribe? 

17 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's not designed for you. It's designed for those that can't get anywhere near the speeds you are attaining already.

Yeah, people like me that live in a large regional town but still get nothing.

NBN only offers us satellite. 

New houses along our back fence all get fibre. 

Our neighbours on northern side (further away from exchange) and houses further on get fixed wireless. 

NBNCo quoted us $25K to connect us with fibre - yeah right.

But up until recently we were considered "urban/metropolitan" by ACMA so no Starlink either.

Now Starlink is available Aus-wide (I think) it may be an option after the beta testing period.

[Using the Optus 4G network with a data modem at the moment (with half bar reception!)]

• Like 2

• Administrator

It's supposed to be out of beta this month according to Elon.
Hundreds of dishes are shipping out daily now.

As each cell has a max capacity currently though, if you are considering Starlink I would get your order in.

Some people procrastinated and are now finding their cell is full already.

3 hours ago, Jakeyb77_Redux said:

Is there other advantages that I’m missing? 

None.... it's not designed to compete with fixed line connections.

Fixed line copper connection speeds will (or at least can) increase speed by 10x now, and 100x in the next decade or two.... and if you have fibre then, it's virtually limitless.

• Like 2

I got my dish up yesterday morning. So far pretty decent results though I have a minor bit of shadowing from a nearby tree. I’m running it for a few days to see how much of a problem this is before potentially relocating.

E2456AC3-5E7A-41D5-B120-11A5020282F7.thumb.jpeg.7e0a4bf58dc6a4c7f438ab4cf233412d.jpeg

it’s only showing a little obstruction to the east. Perhaps time to prune the top of that gum tree.

A6B6463A-93CF-4501-84FE-76E1B73BED9A.thumb.jpeg.7d9451218c8811ce231513342ba82d90.jpeg

Edited by BugPowderDust
  • Like 3