Goodbye NBN - Hello Starlink

Marc

19 hours ago, lemarquis said:

re Uploads - the ISP's don't like people running their connections as servers so this is always below quoted. e.g. I think my Uploads max out at 2MBs...

It should work at 5MBps (40mbps) .... even without a "business plan" .... talk to your ISP.

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

It should work at 5MBps (40mbps) .... even without a "business plan" .... talk to your ISP.

It should. On speed tests it does but real world conditions are different. DL speeds are fine.

The launch was successful. In a leap forward from SN09 and SN08 the landing was successful. (Objectives for success of the earlier units was mid-air turnaround and engine resumption). Starlink promise that considerable improvement in data speed is coming. From time to time I too have made posts to comic effect, however taking your post straight is a great way to ask what's not to like about organisations that learn so swiftly, and make step change? As compared to the Abbott/ Murdoch/ Turnbull crippled NBN which has caused great frustration when we needed it during the COVID emergency.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

The launch was successful. In a leap forward from SN09 and SN08 the landing was successful. (Objectives for success of the earlier units was mid-air turnaround and engine resumption). Starlink promise that considerable improvement in data speed is coming. From time to time I too have made posts to comic effect, however taking your post straight is a great way to ask what's not to like about organisations that learn so swiftly, and make step change? As compared to the Abbott/ Murdoch/ Turnbull crippled NBN which has caused great frustration when we needed it during the COVID emergency.

Exactly. It was all about data gathering and in this mission from that perspective it was a complete success. This is why they do tests. 

No doubt they also got valuable data about their fire suppression systems as an added bonus!

• Like 1

Currently on 1000/50mbps unlimited plan with Aussie as we've fibre to the premises.... Was nice and fast when I first switched to it though seems to now be significantly slower in the evenings when I check the connection speed. Nothing which is noticeable in actual use though. It seems whenever I check I'm only connected a 120-140mbps these days  :(

Running 802.11ax through out the house with 2x Xiaomi ALoT AX3600 and 1x AX1800 mesh routers. I really only have the AX1800 for my HTPC (with Roon) to plug directly into. Roon just works better that way.

Edited by MattyW

13 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I've got FTTH so it doesn't compete/compute.

Even for people on copper connections..... things like starlink are not going to be long term competitors.

Current trials show that over short-ish (say 100m) copper lines, that speed like 1 Tbps are not fanciful.

1 Tbps = 1,000 Gbps = 1,000,000 Mbps ..... ie. ten thousand times faster than the current fastest speeds on FTTN (and most of FTTC).

1 minute ago, davewantsmoore said:

Current trials show that over short-ish (say 100m) copper lines, that speed like 1 Tbps are not fanciful.

Just wait till you have to filter out the rf leakage from that from the unshielded copper wires into your hifi :)  

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Currently on 1000/50mbps unlimited plan with Aussie.... Was nice and fast when I first switched to it though seems to now be significantly slower in the evenings when I check the connection speed. Nothing which is noticeable in actually use though. It seems whenever I check I'm only connected a 120-140mbps these days.

Check that the speedtest site is actually connected to an ABB speed test server.

Don't use wireless to test it  ;)

I'd be very surprised if it is Aussie.....  you can check on their network graphs for your suburb/area to confirm it isn't their bottleneck.    The NBN network stats are also public, so you can be sure the NBN component of the network isn't congested (and if it were, Aussie would (should) have sent you an "outage" notice).

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just wait till you have to filter out the rf leakage from that from the unshielded copper wires into your hifi :)  

The power is too low and frequency too high....   other things in your house would be orders of magnitude more concern  ;)

Guest thethrowback
4 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

The launch was successful.

You are quite correct as the launch was successful, however the landing still requires a bit of finessing.

38 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Check that the speedtest site is actually connected to an ABB speed test server.

Don't use wireless to test it  ;)

I'd be very surprised if it is Aussie.....  you can check on their network graphs for your suburb/area to confirm it isn't their bottleneck.    The NBN network stats are also public, so you can be sure the NBN component of the network isn't congested (and if it were, Aussie would (should) have sent you an "outage" notice).

I always test from the router. That said I suspect that the NBN provided modem performance is quite substandard.  I may have to investigate better aftermarket options at some point.

This sort of thing does not feature in Mr Murdoch's dreams and fancies for his cash cows. So yes, while trivially interesting from a lab sense, it is fanciful in an actual "let's do something to the benefit of wider Australia" sense. Starlink and other disruptors are absolutely essential for us to make headway here.

On 05/03/2021 at 12:40 PM, MattyW said:

I always test from the router.

What is the other end that the router is using to measure the speed? .... It's likely that endpoint isn't well peered with Aussie, and so no representative of your actual connection speed with ABB.

Guest Peter the Greek
On 01/03/2021 at 11:42 AM, proftournesol said:

It's way better than those stuck on SkyMuster NBN can ever dream about

Yep, we're testing 4g optus with an antenna at present. Ditching Skyduster shortly. This Starlink thing looks promising....I'll wait and see how the hardware works first.

Anyone know what cable runs to the dish?

8 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Yep, we're testing 4g optus with an antenna at present. Ditching Skyduster shortly. This Starlink thing looks promising....I'll wait and see how the hardware works first.

Anyone know what cable runs to the dish?

From the Starlink app FAQ

53314803-3081-4F46-AD63-AD85D1AE70C3.thumb.png.546557fbf1ff36d93bf349e00447e3d9.png

I give it a fortnight before someone starts selling an audiophile grade version to people on this forum.

• Haha 2

Guest Peter the Greek

That's annoying. I was hoping it'd be a "normal" coax cable like Skymuster uses or what we run up to our 4G antenna......we live in a lined "shouse" getting cable up onto the roof whilst not impossible can be painful. I was really wanting to just switch out the Skymuster one....bugger

• 4 weeks later...

This will be great for regional users who cannot access broadband internet, let alone a fibre NBN connection. There are hundreds of homes in my area that are in this category, which have to pay $50-100 per month for 5mbps speeds!

4 hours ago, Kinda Deaf said:

This will be great for regional users who cannot access broadband internet, let alone a fibre NBN connection. There are hundreds of homes in my area that are in this category, which have to pay $50-100 per month for 5mbps speeds!

Do you mean NBN satellite? ....  (It's 25 down 5 up)

I guess we're not fussy enuff. Our Telstra give us unlimited @45+/10+Mbps all day and night. And we're happy to not take it on holidays with us...

We're not quite in the 5G area yet (North, South and East it's there, and West is sea), but our 4G is cheap and uses Telstra network for broad coverage when we're not in town (in Aus).