Currently Spinning

I did some more couch/sweet spot listening last night with the following LP's:

"So" Peter Gabriel 45rpm half speed reissue. This is a truly sublime reissue.....sonically brilliant! The following is from the 'Audiophile Man':

"As for the sound quality of the Peter Gabriel releases? In a word…beautiful. Compared to the original pressings, the 45rpm speed provides an improved transient response while the half speed mastering allows the instruments to provide a greater tonal realism. High frequency response is better too which enhances the accuracy of the stereo image."

In the 'sweet spot' it was truly an experience.....?

https://i1.wp.com/theaudiophileman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Screen-Shot-2016-11-10-at-16.51.15.png?ssl=1

Supertramp "Brother Where You Bound" Oz 1st pressing.....beautifully recorded album on possibly the best Australian pressing I own.....sonic bliss!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/324/cover_41415852016_r.jpg

....and another personal favourite, Yes "Big Generator" German 1st pressing.....Trevor Horn produced sonic bliss!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/105/cover_5711111642016_r.jpg

It was an enjoyable evening.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

Electric Bossa - V/A. 

1    –Incognito    Fearless    6:13
2    –Al Jarreau & Oleta Adams    Girl From Ipanema    4:26
3    –Akiko & Corinne Drewery    Waters Of March    4:07
4    –Astrud Gilberto    Here's That Rainy Day (Koop Remix) 3:31
5    –De-Phazz    You Stayed (Nicola Conte Flirts & Dreams Version) 8:06
6    –Trüby Trio    A Festa    6:50
7    –Folk & Rovere*    FotiHouse    4:38
8    –Chico Hamilton    El Toro (Mark De Clive-Lowe Remix) 5:20
9    –Elis Regina    Vou Deitar E Rolar (Quaquaraquaqua) (DJ Ze Pedro Remix)
Remix – DJ Zé Pedro
3:53
10    –Willie Bobo    La Descarga Del Bobo (Masters At Work  8:40
11    –Fritz Pauer Trio    Terra Samba (Soulpatrol Album Mix) 7:19
12    –Monday Michuru*    Zurich Samba    5:03
13    –Dave Grusin    Bonita    4:02

images - 2019-10-22T152824.263.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi All,

5 hours ago, stevoz said:

"So" Peter Gabriel 45rpm half speed reissue. This is a truly sublime reissue.....sonically brilliant! The following is from the 'Audiophile Man':

"As for the sound quality of the Peter Gabriel releases? In a word…beautiful. Compared to the original pressings, the 45rpm speed provides an improved transient response while the half speed mastering allows the instruments to provide a greater tonal realism. High frequency response is better too which enhances the accuracy of the stereo image."

In the 'sweet spot' it was truly an experience.....?

https://i1.wp.com/theaudiophileman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Screen-Shot-2016-11-10-at-16.51.15.png?ssl=1

Supertramp "Brother Where You Bound" Oz 1st pressing.....beautifully recorded album on possibly the best Australian pressing I own.....sonic bliss!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/324/cover_41415852016_r.jpg

....and another personal favourite, Yes "Big Generator" German 1st pressing.....Trevor Horn produced sonic bliss!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/105/cover_5711111642016_r.jpg

It was an enjoyable evening.?

An excellent selection :thumb:

JJ

• Like 2

In the 'sweet spot' it was truly an experience.....[emoji108]

Screen-Shot-2016-11-10-at-16.51.15.png?ssl=1&key=687f8fecfe72ed5b2e348751018006818d6181cc71dbe839649b98f3ee78336b

cover_41415852016_r.jpg&key=9da752c5875d9b2f26c765e9b6ea46afc54ae27a528cbd0fb1b45e1fa3eb77c2

cover_5711111642016_r.jpg&key=b97edc4f00d6c28b470766ae86e260e575e5a79046f66e5551add8d2261c8de0

It was an enjoyable evening.[emoji106]
Is that So LP album still available. It's one of those albums that just begs to to be played on a turntable.
  • Like 1

Just finished; Dead Kennedys - 'Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables'

55287-fresh-fruit-for-rotting-vegetables

Just starting; The Dillinger Escape Plane With Mike Patton - 'Irony Is A Dead Scene'

Dillinger_Escape_Plan_'Irony_is_a_Dead_S

Final EDIT: Dillinger Escape Plan must be an intensive album; with my NAD C316BEE v2 amp turned up a little less than halfway (just about as loud as I ever push it) I thought I could smell the neighbour making toast. Turns out it was the amp next to me getting 'quite' warm.. Methinks I should take it a bit easier as I spend the first summer with this amp. The temp is really starting to ramp up here in Dubbo. Don't want the 'magic smoke' to escape anytime soon. ;)

Edited by SkipEsquire
Cover didn't show?
  • Like 1

Sky Flowers & Horse Eggs - V/A

2    –Blackhouse    Halo Trance (Eternal Spirit Mix)    6:58
3    –Étant Donnés    S'envole    8:04
4    –Nocturnal Emissions    Adam Hickson / The War On Drugs    6:43
5    –Randy Greif    The Numbers Cage    7:31
6    –PFN   Sarajevo    6:31
7    –John Watermann    The Golden Anger Of Tearing    6:07
8    –S.F.O.    Raan    6:58
9    –Zoviet France    I Felt The Breath Of My Assassin    7:52
10    –G*Park    Yack    5:02
11    –Shabda    Paramahamsa    7:51

R-316885-1309388968.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Live recording 1961 at best guess.

R-5339430-1390932099-9703.jpeg.jpg

Can't say it's suitable for hifi demo purposes. But is is a good document of the times, and he's a better folk singer than Bob Dylan. At times a light and humorous touch too, but (again with the Dylan comparisons) he's a bit straighter, not so zany nor arch. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Is that So LP album still available. It's one of those albums that just begs to to be played on a turntable.

Well, funny you should ask.....because it's an interesting story.?

When I got mine, it was fairly badly warped but amazingly, still playable....but I was concerned about cartridge suspension. Anyway, I told the seller and they eventually replied and said that the manufacturer had got back to them saying the entire run was being withdrawn from sale due to warping issues and to recall LP's and issue full refunds. I got my refund but they said just keep the record.....so I play it occasionally and it sounds really great!?

In answer to your question, they also said that there will be another run of them in the future, but as yet and to my knowledge, there has been no second run......?......but I have just checked Discogs and this reissue is still listed (link below) even though it was withdrawn from sale and it appears there are still a few out there and on sale.......19 from $62.96 (13 Mint, 4 NM and 2 VG+). Interesting that 13 are mint, as in brand new.

There is indeed no second reissue listed on Discogs either and it's been three and a half years now, so snap one of these first reissues up! Warps and all! ?

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-So-/release/8744459

PS: I have just noticed on Discogs that there was a 33rpm Half Speed mastered version on a single LP released later the same year (link below). There is a lot more copies of these available starting much cheaper......but the 45rpm is probably the way to go if price is not a concern.?

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-So/release/9473337

Edited by stevoz

59 minutes ago, stevoz said:

That's the 33rpm half speed version.

It is. Done a bit of research on it and it comes up favourably. Not sure if the 45s are still avaiable. Some reviewer's say the 45s sound bright.

Might give the half speed ago.

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Well, funny you should ask.....because it's an interesting story.?

When I got mine, it was fairly badly warped but amazingly, still playable....but I was concerned about cartridge suspension. Anyway, I told the seller and they eventually replied and said that the manufacturer had got back to them saying the entire run was being withdrawn from sale due to warping issues and to recall LP's and issue full refunds. I got my refund but they said just keep the record.....so I play it occasionally and it sounds really great!?

In answer to your question, they also said that there will be another run of them in the future, but as yet and to my knowledge, there has been no second run......?......but I have just checked Discogs and this reissue is still listed (link below) even though it was withdrawn from sale and it appears there are still a few out there and on sale.......19 from $62.96 (13 Mint, 4 NM and 2 VG+). Interesting that 13 are mint, as in brand new.

There is indeed no second reissue listed on Discogs either and it's been three and a half years now, so snap one of these first reissues up! Warps and all! ?

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-So-/release/8744459

PS: I have just noticed on Discogs that there was a 33rpm Half Speed mastered version on a single LP released later the same year (link below). There is a lot more copies of these available starting much cheaper......but the 45rpm is probably the way to go if price is not a concern.?

https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-So/release/9473337

Thanks Stev.

Might go the half speed. Money is not a real factor. I quite like the album, but dont love it. That might change though if the SQ is exceptional. Some reviews say that it is. I don't even have an origional copy or even a cd. Did have the cassette. So this will be a vast improvement. Juno Records can ship it to me for $36. Not bad for for a half speed from the UK. Some sellers want twice the amount. So going to order it.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Morning All,

Beginning with Lost and Found, Jonsi and Alex Sumers

Jonsi.jpg.7a3508649fb11d711d7436868cae8cda.jpg

Info from Bandcamp:

To mark the 10th anniversary of their landmark ambient album Riceboy Sleeps, Jónsi & Alex Somers share Lost And Found. “Lost And Found is a sibling album to Riceboy Sleeps,” says Somers. “It falls somewhere between what was, what is, and what will be. Lost And Found was created by Jónsi & Alex Somers in collaboration with friend and producer Sidney Satorsky.

JJ

• Like 2

Playing the 'Solid Gold Supergroups'.....disc 6 from yesterdays 'op shop' score, Solid Gold 2 (Readers Digest Music boxed set - 7 LP's-all pristine condition-for $8)?

https://img.discogs.com/iByvTFqtF1WXzjaE4tC0J5DQrNw=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-5422874-1435310745-3390.jpeg.jpg

Like all compilations, there's some good, some bad but soundwise, it's pretty good.?

Interestingly, it has the pre-Trevor Horn version of 'Two Tribes' by FGTH, which is good but the Horn produced album version is all over it. They indeed needed Horn.....

'Supergroups' Tracklist:

K1 Dire Straits Money For Nothing  
K2 UB40 Red Red Wine  
K3 Fine Young Cannibals Suspicious Minds  
K4 REO Speedwagon Can't Fight This Feeling  
K5 The Dream Academy Life In A Northern Town  
K6 Frankie Goes To Hollywood Two Tribes  
L1 Mr. Mister Broken Wings  
L2 The Hooters And We Danced  
L3 Spandau Ballet True  
L4 U2 Pride (In The Name Of Love)  
L5 Thompson Twins King For A Day