Currently Spinning

600x600.jpg600x600.jpgthestills.jpg

Back in 2003.

Two of my fav indie debut by Longwave and The Stills.

They sounded so promising, unfortunately they both didn't quite make it on their 2nd and 3rd albums and faded away...

Their debut are still sounding great to me, today!

Longwave

Strangest Thing

Got the UK vinyl, usually the SQ for indie bands such as this doesn't impress, but this is exceptionally good!

The Stills

Logic Will Break Your Heart

Don't have this on vinyl, have to listen to CD rip, argh! Vinyl is too expansive now, who wants to sell me your vinyl copy?

The Stills 

Oceans Will Rise

Got the vinyl recently, sounds pretty good.

600x600.jpg600x600.jpgthestills.jpg

Back in 2003.

Two of my fav indie debut by Longwave and The Stills.

They sounded so promising, unfortunately they both didn't quite make it on their 2nd and 3rd albums and faded away...

Their debut are still sounding great to me, today!

Longwave

Strangest Thing

Got the UK vinyl, usually the SQ for indie bands such as this doesn't impress, but this is exceptionally good!

The Stills

Logic Will Break Your Heart

Don't have this on vinyl, have to listen to CD rip, argh! Vinyl is too expansive now, who wants to sell me your vinyl copy?

The Stills 

Oceans Will Rise

Got the vinyl recently, sounds pretty good.

Sorry YB but you can't have mine. :sorry:    Thanks for the mem jog, might spin Logic tonight :)

More buys off Ebay and I discovered a new band that I like.

So much music out there I have not heard it amazes me. Maybe spent to much time listening to the radio instead of discovering music that was not meant for radio.

For simple tons like me the albums are King Crimson in the court and Larks tung in jelly

post-143289-0-21689100-1448001356.jpg

post-143289-0-20412700-1448001368.png

Edited by Tony ray
  • Like 1

51Z%2B8EreH5L._SX425_.jpg

Not sure what rock I have been living under but I have just found this band.   :unsure: :unsure:

I love my melodic rock and IMHO European bands are the kings at it.    I had seen the name around for years but for some reason I just thought they were a glam, pop band.   Man they rock the house. :thumb: :thumb:

Great harmonies and some thunderous production that is crystal clear.

Loving this CD. 

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

51Z%2B8EreH5L._SX425_.jpg

Not sure what rock I have been living under but I have just found this band.   :unsure: :unsure:

I love my melodic rock and IMHO European bands are the kings at it.    I had seen the name around for years but for some reason I just thought they were a glam, pop band.   Man they rock the house. :thumb: :thumb:

Great harmonies and some thunderous production that is crystal clear.

Loving this CD. 

Regards Cazzesman

This looks interesting. I love European melodic metal... I'll check it out, thanks.

M

Very nice sounding German pressing of The Best Of The Doors. 804321154f7b737e3834bfa222750558.jpg

Planned on seeing Shining Bird tonight at the Union in Newtown but after a few after work drinks and now a couple of bottles of bubbles at home with friends I will just be staying home and playing DJ and waiting for the temp to drop.

• Like 3

@@Viognier

Bubbles? That's because you have an over supply don't you...

Now, I'm listening to one of those albums that really does need repeated listenings to make a mark on your aural taste buds.

The last album by this guy and his band garnered a few album of the year awards and I know a small group of us here have that particular album from 2013 and it regularly elicits 4+5 stars.

So I ordered a copy and held back from the deluxe special and limited edition...idiot's act in hindsight.

I'm on only my second listen since picking this up in Melb and also I didn't open it so the mob there didn't get a listen to it either, I hope they don't mind(some really liked the OTPMD btw Mark, it was well worth the hassle of taking the vinyl down to play on @@evil c 's fabulous system).

I'll need an extended session to comment more on the album but already I'm finding a couple of go to tracks and this experience is just like the last album in that respect.

There are a heap of earlier albums I bought on the strength of the 2013 release and they're rubbish imo and I really really have tried with them.

This one will be a keeper too I think.

Destroyer-05-545x545.jpg

A snippet of a review/interview

After eight albums of labyrinthine art rock under the name Destroyer, Dan Bejar experienced an unlikely breakthrough four years ago with Kaputt. The record untangled Destroyer’s knotted delivery and arrangements while retaining the project’s cryptic mystique, and all the spoils of modern semi-success followed: late-night TV appearances, trippy music videos, bigtime summer festival slots. Many artists would be thrilled with such a reception. But, in ways big and small, Dan Bejar is not like many artists. When I ask him if he took some time over the last few years to bask in the long-deserved attention, he deadpans, “It became clear pretty quickly that there wasn't too much to bask in.†For Bejar, who originally found his artistic voice under the sway of ‘90s anti-materialists like Pavement and Guided By Voices, acceptance could only be met with healthy skepticism and disgust. So instead of reveling in the boom, he had another plan: “I was just trying to lie low and make sure that the world at large forgot Kaputt ever happened.â€

That strategy extends to Destroyer’s forthcoming 10th long player, Poison Season, which once again blows up the idea of what a Destroyer record should sound like while sounding like nothing but a Destroyer record. (Kaputt II it is not.) The album’s 13 tracks switch between—and oftentimes combine—two distinct styles: chamber-music balladry and vamping, jazzed-up ‘70s rock. “It’s like a strange mashup of 20th century classical and, like, Destroyer at the Sands,†offers the 42-year-old Bejar, citing Frank Sinatra’s classic 1966 live album. “I was never sure if it would make any sense as music—and I'm still not really sure it does—but it was something I wanted to do, and it's what’s closest to my heart right now.â€

Edit: There is a fabulous video of the song 'Times Square' it's in stop motion animation just like Peter.Gabriel's Sledgehammer...great stuff...yes I'm too lazy to supply a link.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 3

@@Viognier

Bubbles? That's because you have an over supply don't you...

Now, I'm listening to one of those albums that really does need repeated listenings to make a mark on your aural taste buds.

The last album by this guy and his band garnered a few album of the year awards and I know a small group of us here have that particular album from 2013 and it regularly elicits 4+5 stars.

So I ordered a copy and held back from the deluxe special and limited edition...idiot's act in hindsight.

I'm on only my second listen since picking this up in Melb and also I didn't open it so the mob there didn't get a listen to it either, I hope they don't mind(some really liked the OTPMD btw Mark, it was well worth the hassle of taking the vinyl down to play on @@evil c 's fabulous system).

I'll need an extended session to comment more on the album but already I'm finding a couple of go to tracks and this experience is just like the last album in that respect.

There are a heap of earlier albums I bought on the strength of the 2013 release and they're rubbish imo and I really really have tried with them.

This one will be a keeper too I think.

Destroyer-05-545x545.jpg

A snippet of a review/interview

After eight albums of labyrinthine art rock under the name Destroyer, Dan Bejar experienced an unlikely breakthrough four years ago with Kaputt. The record untangled Destroyer’s knotted delivery and arrangements while retaining the project’s cryptic mystique, and all the spoils of modern semi-success followed: late-night TV appearances, trippy music videos, bigtime summer festival slots. Many artists would be thrilled with such a reception. But, in ways big and small, Dan Bejar is not like many artists. When I ask him if he took some time over the last few years to bask in the long-deserved attention, he deadpans, “It became clear pretty quickly that there wasn't too much to bask in.†For Bejar, who originally found his artistic voice under the sway of ‘90s anti-materialists like Pavement and Guided By Voices, acceptance could only be met with healthy skepticism and disgust. So instead of reveling in the boom, he had another plan: “I was just trying to lie low and make sure that the world at large forgot Kaputt ever happened.â€

That strategy extends to Destroyer’s forthcoming 10th long player, Poison Season, which once again blows up the idea of what a Destroyer record should sound like while sounding like nothing but a Destroyer record. (Kaputt II it is not.) The album’s 13 tracks switch between—and oftentimes combine—two distinct styles: chamber-music balladry and vamping, jazzed-up ‘70s rock. “It’s like a strange mashup of 20th century classical and, like, Destroyer at the Sands,†offers the 42-year-old Bejar, citing Frank Sinatra’s classic 1966 live album. “I was never sure if it would make any sense as music—and I'm still not really sure it does—but it was something I wanted to do, and it's what’s closest to my heart right now.â€

Edit: There is a fabulous video of the song 'Times Square' it's in stop motion animation just like :P.Gabriel's Sledgehammer...great stuff...yes I'm too lazy to supply a link.

Great write up @@Luc Yep plenty of bubbles here though we have an engagement party (btw not mine but the gf's daughter) tomorrow for 100+ people. I think we have about 10 dozen bottles of bubbles in preparation. The good stuff is hidden away.

I haven't heard that Destroyer album. Will check it out. Mr Darko kindly gave me a copy of Five Spanish Songs at a gtg I had here a few months back.

Well done on trying to educate those southerners regarding OPTMD. I am surprised they got it.

• Like 1

There was one comment along the lines of; "Where do you find this stuff?" I managed to squeeze them in, in between Iron Maiden and T.Dolby or some such and also told them to pipe down or perhaps I said shutup . No easy task let me tell you.

The 2013 album Kaputt is fantastic although he know seems to want to disown it due to it's popularity.

• Like 2

muzyczne-nowosci-25-adele-1_300x225_1.jp

It will sell a squillion.   Hard to fault it in her genre.

Regards Cazzesman

Bought her last album, don't know why now but her wailing and overcompressed recording just doesn't do it for me. Nice MOR radio muzak but little in the way of longevity for mine.

there are far better contemporary female artists to listen to.

Cheers

M

Sorry YB but you can't have mine. :sorry:    Thanks for the mem jog, might spin Logic tonight :)

Oh no Shane, I can't believe you have The Still's Logic... too! Where is my invite to Northern Beaches? Or bring it over to the East side... soon... Or else, don't forget to lock your door! :)

Latest arrival at doorstep - new limited release white (ish) vinyl from Boy and Bear, holographic cover as a bonus too.

Sounds really good on first play, always a good sign ! post-116153-0-58422700-1448017543_thumb.

Played this as well, one @@Luc gave me to update my "archaic collection of yesteryear living in the past shite" (his words)  :(

post-116153-0-58186100-1448017599_thumb.

Title is pretty close - did occur to me to destroy it on first play.

Starting to grow (like a fungus) on me !  :P

• Like 1