Currently Spinning

Have you heard this one

A sort of greatest hits although if you don't like the ones with Linda maybe just not for you

I like the older ones from the 70's 80's mostly

He is difficult so I understand that not for everyone

I have seen him twice

The last time in Byron at the pub in 90's I think

Could have heard a pin drop

Played every song I really like

The first time he was with Loudon Wainwright

The classics certainly has all the good songs but I am too familiar with the originals

post-141610-0-83147900-1438150635_thumb.

• Like 1

Have you heard this one

A sort of greatest hits although if you don't like the ones with Linda maybe just not for you

I like the older ones from the 70's 80's mostly

He is difficult so I understand that not for everyone

I have seen him twice

The last time in Byron at the pub in 90's I think

Could have heard a pin drop

Played every song I really like

The first time he was with Loudon Wainwright

The classics certainly has all the good songs but I am too familiar with the originals

The Classics CD is ok, but I much prefer the original versions from the albums.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea, and think the voice has a lot to do with that.

But as a guitarist and songwriter he is top shelf. Great in concert, have seen him many times.

As for the Still album, I love it, and don't personally see much of a Jeff Tweedy influence at all. I mean...what can you teach Richard Thompson about guitar playing and song writing. Nothing.

I have all the Wilco catalogue, and 3 or 4 albums by artists produced by Tweedy, for mine his influence on Still is minimal.

• Like 1

I'm not that familiar with Thompson, and so the Acoustic versions are my benchmark. Will have to check out the originals as well.

I'm more familiar with Wilco, and so think that Still has a Wilco edge.

But it seems from all the glowing reviews that Richard probably sounds that way already.

• Like 1

JEWEL - Pieces of You

I haven't listened to this for long time but do remember loving it at the time, 20 years ago!

But rekindled by a post here, I replayed it and heard something very good, very good indeed.

So of course bought the vinyl (Music On Vinyl 2xlp reissue).

The title track alone is worth it.

Beautifully recorded, the vinyl way surpasses the CD I have. Its so much more real and solid, as all good vinyl is...  :)  

Thanks for that C. :thumb:    Same here, been a while since I have played it.   It's on the platter now.  Original US pressing.

Might put her 2nd LP on over the weekend.

61RLuM%2BFVFL._SS280.jpg51qIQnjP6gL._SS280.jpg51luq2136aL._SS280.jpg

Dubmarine - Depth Of Sound -- Brisbane band, a mix of dub and reggae

Dubarray - Ebb & Flow -- Dunno whence they came, maybe the Sunnie Coast like Oka, peddling a hippie dub/ethno/dance vibe.

Salmonella Dub - One Drop East -- more dub/reggae shiz from across the Dutch.

--Geoff

Have caught Dubmarine live a couple of times in Sydney. Great fun band but never listened to their recorded stuff.
  • Like 1

I was referring to the Bob Dylan vocal sample, I think it's from 'Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues'

"I'm going back to New York City, I do believe I've had enough".

I love the way they used that sample. 

Cheers,

Leigh

You are a walking, talking encyclopedia of music Leigh  :thumb: I am in awe of your knowledge. 

• Like 3

Thanks for that C. :thumb:    Same here, been a while since I have played it.   It's on the platter now.  Original US pressing.

Might put her 2nd LP on over the weekend.

Is there an album you don't own Shane?  I'm picturing you owning a large warehouse out Minchinbury way, full of vinyl.  A quick phone call to your butler - "Jeeves, the second Jewel album this weekend.  Bring it on over to the house if you would."

• Like 5

Is there an album you don't own Shane?  I'm picturing you owning a large warehouse out Minchinbury way, full of vinyl.  A quick phone call to your butler - "Jeeves, the second Jewel album this weekend.  Bring it on over to the house if you would."

Ha ha

I wish . plenty.   I don't own any Diana Krall  :P

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the local Sanity store had a small range of vinyl in stock. While most were priced way to high IMO, I did pick this Ryan Adamls LP up for $22.00. Great price, and it's an excellent recording of some of his best songs.

Glad I didn't order the 6 LP set though, I much prefer to hear him with a backing band, rather than him on guitar,harmonica and piano.

91eOp-WPbPL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the local Sanity store had a small range of vinyl in stock. While most were priced way to high IMO, I did pick this Ryan Adamls LP up for $22.00. Great price, and it's an excellent recording of some of his best songs.

Glad I didn't order the 6 LP set though, I much prefer to hear him with a backing band, rather than him on guitar,harmonica and piano.

91eOp-WPbPL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm the opposite. I prefer him more stripped back. :)

Glad you didn't spend more than you needed to.

• Like 2

Chillin' to some chewns on the chewb:

Coldcut - Autumn Leaves (Irresistible Force Remix) -- I have edited versions this on some mixed compilation CDs ... one day I will find the complete unmixed version.

Locust - No One In The World (WFO Mix) -- Karen Carpenter samples and gated keyboards ... bliss.

--Geoff

• Like 4

^ We gotta thread for that  :P  :D

post-105052-0-94649000-1438299171_thumb.

Turned onto the band by their Elephants video.

Amazing album, feels a bit like Radiohead (and The Cure thrown in too) with ethereal female vox, very very noiiiice!  :love

With fantastic cover art by Chris Cunningham, famous for the Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy video among others, and married to the bassist.

Edited by likwidsh0k
  • Like 5

To Top