Currently Spinning

I really like this maxi single from the short lived Melbourne band 'The Sharp' They seemed to be everywhere at the time and then disappeared just as quickly. Might have to find their first album

R-5149715-1385879018-7292.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

post-133926-0-65716800-1427075893_thumb.

A couple of songs in and my wife makes the sage comment of "WTF is this Catalano ****". Whatever that was supposed to mean I don't know because I noticed her foot tapping just a minute later. My 4 YO daughter spontaneously gets up to dance by herself, my twin boys are just sitting quietly (a highly unusual occurrence) nodding along to the beat and I'm thinking - well done Mr Liebert.

I don't know what it is but this album sounds mint on my stereo. Wide and spacious soundstage, detailed yet not fatiguing and some great playing. I google it up this morning and discover the legend is it was recorded for $3k in a tin shed on a junky old tape machine - maybe I have cloth ears :confused:

I really like this maxi single from the short lived Melbourne band 'The Sharp' They seemed to be everywhere at the time and then disappeared just as quickly. Might have to find their first album

I don't have their second, but their first is excellent :thumb:

From allmusic

Both were well-received in Australia and resulted in a period of constant touring around the world, typically playing over 300 gigs a year. Burnout was blamed for their breakup, announced in 1995 -- the same year as the release of their best-of album, Single File -- though health problems were rumored. When interviewed they were evasive and Catlin jokingly claimed to have been visited by a pair of ghostly black skivvies, which thanked him for all he'd done and explained that the band's work was finished.

:lol:

• Like 2

Courtney Barnett

Now trending on SNA

Really is a rock and roll record

geez....she looks like that young actress that plays Arya in Game of Thrones.

Edited by ortofun

I really like this maxi single from the short lived Melbourne band 'The Sharp' They seemed to be everywhere at the time and then disappeared just as quickly.

I don't think The Sharp recovered after The Late Show did "Skivvies Are Back" in parody.

--Geoff

• Like 2

Tom Jones; Spirit In The Room

Picked this up from the local Salvo's today for $2. I have been listening to this on Spotify recently, and always meant to pick it up. Now I have it sorted.

One of the great male vocalists IMO, and this disc of mostly covers is a gem.

51WwJdgyTVL.jpg

• Like 2

MI0002014805.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

OK, so after seeing numerous posts for 'The Church', I finally randomly gave this a spin!

VERY amazed and impressed!

I always have reservations about the sound and songs of Aussie bands. Sure they're great when you see them live, BUT their recorded music doesn't do them justice (for some reason) to me anyway!

This band have had numerous posts here, and now I'm beginning ti see why!

It's only the first album I have listened to so far, but after this I am going to delve deeper into this band. The thing that gets in the way of some of these good bands is there 'hit' songs! It's a two-edged sword. I don't like 'mainstream' music, and when I think of a band like 'The Church', I think of Ungarded Moment and I'm almost with you as their only worthwhile songs.

How wrong I can be and how good is this band?

They played at our local theatre a little while back and I didn't go, a friend of mine is good friends with one of the band and was talking them up. I should have listened!

• Like 4

MI0002014805.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

OK, so after seeing numerous posts for 'The Church', I finally randomly gave this a spin!

VERY amazed and impressed!

I always have reservations about the sound and songs of Aussie bands. Sure they're great when you see them live, BUT their recorded music doesn't do them justice (for some reason) to me anyway!

This band have had numerous posts here, and now I'm beginning ti see why!

It's only the first album I have listened to so far, but after this I am going to delve deeper into this band. The thing that gets in the way of some of these good bands is there 'hit' songs! It's a two-edged sword. I don't like 'mainstream' music, and when I think of a band like 'The Church', I think of Ungarded Moment and I'm almost with you as their only worthwhile songs.

How wrong I can be and how good is this band?

They played at our local theatre a little while back and I didn't go, a friend of mine is good friends with one of the band and was talking them up. I should have listened!

Good on ya surfie, it's always great to discover music you love, even if it's been on the fringes for a long time.

Some critics argue that The Church are a strong contender for being one of the greatest bands ever formed.

Just read reviews of all their albums, they consistently release high quality work.

I envy your journey.......should you continue to hear more from this great Aussie band.

• Like 3

Some critics argue that The Church are a strong contender for being one of the greatest bands ever formed.

Just read reviews of all their albums, they consistently release high quality work.

I envy your journey.......should you continue to hear more from this great Aussie band.

I can't believe I have never realised how good this band is, until now!

• Like 1

Yet to make a dud album Surfie, tho some are merely excellent, whilst others are brilliant. You just need the time and the correct mindset.

The time- clear an hour for just sitting and listening ( they sequence well).

The mindset - think paisley, brocade, twelve- string, class A enhancers( not you, Steve) and absinthe.

The mood- lava lamp, open fire.

ZM.

• Like 2

I love the Bedhead vinyl box that I purchased a few months ago. All their 3 albums, and another double lp of singles, outtakes etc.The records sound incredible, and the box contains a first class booklet.

I actually recently went and purchased the same box in CD format too, for those times on the road in the car.

Listening to the vinyl of this ATM:

post-103759-0-26565700-1427188651_thumb.

• Like 1

Tom Jones; Spirit In The Room

Picked this up from the local Salvo's today for $2. I have been listening to this on Spotify recently, and always meant to pick it up. Now I have it sorted.

One of the great male vocalists IMO, and this disc of mostly covers is a gem.

51WwJdgyTVL.jpg

Damn good album. Should have done something like this a lot earlier in his career.

• Like 2

Having a few beers and listening to this...

480px-Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg

Probably only going to be the first CD though as I want to watch the latest The Walking Dead  ep tonight.  Also I need to cook dinner.  And err, I might be playing it rather unsociably loudly at the moment.

• Like 1

Guest Willow

Finally some free time to spin some recent buys :

Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong

MFSL2-276-2.jpg

A totally un-gimmicky album that flies in the face of what usually happens when mainstream success comes calling , and to top it off everyone gets a turn on the mic.

Natalie Merchant  -  2014 S/T

natalie-merchant-new-album-500x500.jpg

Another masterclass in singing , then again she could probably sing me the phone book and I'd be happy.

Guest Willow

That Natalie Merchant disc was one of my fave albums from last year.

I do remember you posting it up many times , with all the top shelf recommendations trotted out here I'll be lucky to catch up with this year.

Well after a couple more beers, and finishing the second CD of To Be Kind, I wanted more.  Not sure what, and to be honest this was something I saw first.  But it did hit the spot nicely.

On with Secret Chiefs 3 then.

480px-Book_of_Souls_Folio_A_cover.jpg