Luxman Amps Owners Thread

Razuu

2 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

I had a Luxman L507uX II for a time paired with a matching SACD player and while the build quality was fabulous on both, the amplifier turned out to be quite disappointing. Especially disappointing was the built in phono stage as it didn’t have enough gain for LOMC carts. Also, it lacked dynamics and couldn’t match any phono stage that I’d used previously. That ranged to an old ME preamp with an inbuilt MC board to a stand-alone Musical Surroundings phono stage. As a vinyl lover it was disappointing and left me quite cold towards Luxman. So I gave it the boot. 

Now running a Gryphon Diablo 120 integrated amp with built in phono and it’s meets my expectations. The build quality of the Gryphon is leagues above Luxman as well. So, happy man. 

If you’re a vinyl lover, I’d be auditioning either other amps with built in phono stages or consider pairing an external unit to the Luxman. The inbuilt one is nothing to write home about. 

Just my opinion. 

Interesting, I find the phono stage on the L590 superb and with plenty of gain for LOMC.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chill3 said:

Interesting, I find the phono stage on the L590 superb and with plenty of gain for LOMC.  

Definitely agree 100%.

I have been using the phono stage in my Luxman for years with several different carts ,both MM and MC and it always sounds great.

Another thing is that it betters many stand alone phono stages that I tried.

With that said, it can probably be beaten if you spend$2K+ on a phono.

The big qualifier here is that everybody will have their own (valid ) opinions and circumstances.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

I had a Luxman L507uX II for a time paired with a matching SACD player and while the build quality was fabulous on both, the amplifier turned out to be quite disappointing. Especially disappointing was the built in phono stage as it didn’t have enough gain for LOMC carts. Also, it lacked dynamics and couldn’t match any phono stage that I’d used previously. That ranged to an old ME preamp with an inbuilt MC board to a stand-alone Musical Surroundings phono stage. As a vinyl lover it was disappointing and left me quite cold towards Luxman. So I gave it the boot. 

Now running a Gryphon Diablo 120 integrated amp with built in phono and it’s meets my expectations. The build quality of the Gryphon is leagues above Luxman as well. So, happy man. 

If you’re a vinyl lover, I’d be auditioning either other amps with built in phono stages or consider pairing an external unit to the Luxman. The inbuilt one is nothing to write home about. 

Just my opinion. 

To be fair I don’t how how many integrated amps could/should have phono stages that compete with seperates.

Everything needs to be built with end costs in mind and not everybody buying an integrated needs or wants a first rate phono stage. Shocking as that may sound to us vinyl nerds!!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have had the 509x running for a couple of weeks. It is currently being used as part of a secondary system with the fantastic (and very small) Elac BS312 speakers and a REL No 25 sub. 

End goal will be to purchase some ESL speakers to use with the 509x.

Initial thoughts are that the 509x has excellent detail retrieval. It also seems very neutral and of a whole, ie I’m not sitting here thinking the treble or bass is pronounced or recessed etc. listenability is very high, ie can listen for long periods without fatigue. It seems to have good levels of current, the little 312’s are a bit of a current sink. Soundstage is accurate, ie big when required or realistic size as per the recording.

Final feeling right now is that it is a beautiful amp to listen to, which is reinforced by the excellent detail retrieval, ie these two things don’t necessarily come together in one package all that often IME. Am I glad I purchased it ? Very.

16F3C99F-8A57-4B82-9526-FBDE8B3CAD10.jpeg

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2019 at 6:00 PM, Razuu said:

Hi

This is actually a reply to another SN member's review of his Luxman 509X Int Amp.

After replying, I thought it would be nice to share it with other SN members. Just my thoughts on the three Luxman amps I have owned over the last few years.

I have been lucky enough in the last few years to have own the 550AX Class A as my first Luxman Int Amp, then due to a house move, needed more power, I got the 590AXII Class A, now living most of my time in Thailand, I am enjoying the 509X Class AB. I have also listened to the 507uX Class AB extensively.

My gear from the 550AX to 590AXII and 509X haven't changed - Macbook > JRiver or Roon App > Chord Hugo TT DAC (Cable = Audioquest Diamond USB from Mac to Hugo TT) > every Luxman Amp (Cables = MIT SL8 RCA interconnects) > Spendor D7 SPEAKERS (Cables MIT SL 9). 

Quick rating of each amp:

1. 550AX Class A 20 watts pc. (Build - 8) - (Look - 10 - if you like the Retro style) - (Power/Drive - 8 - ONLY if you have a small room, efficient speakers & don't listen loud) - (Clarity/Details - 7) - (Quietness - 7) - (Soul/Emotion - 8

2. 590AXII Class A 30 watts pc. (Build - 9) - (Look - 10 - if you like the Retro style) - (Power/Drive - 8 - ONLY if you have a small/medium room & efficient speakers) - (Clarity/Details - 8) - (Quietness - 8) - (Soul/Emotion - 9

3. 509X Class AB 120 watts pc. (Build - 9.5) - (Look - 10 - if you like the Retro style) - (Power/Drive - 9.5 - Most room sizes and most speakers) - (Clarity/Details - 9.5) - (Quietness - 9.5) - (Soul/Emotion - 8)

Quick summary of each amp:

1. 550AX Class A 20 watts pc. Fantastic Class A Int Amp. Low power, which leads to other limitations. Only buy if you don't have enough money to buy the 590AXII for more Power and Soul/Emotion.  

2. 590AXII Class A 30 watts pc. Great Class A Int Amp. Still low power for larger rooms. BUT simply amazing tones that ooze Soul and Emotion especially in vocals and acoustic music. Luxman Class A Masterpiece.

3. 509X Class AB 120 watts pc. Stunning Class AB Int Amp. Tons of power and punch. So quiet, so much details, so clean, etc. Only negative against the 590AXII - doesn't have that Luxman Class A Soul and Emotion. Against Class AB Amp in this price range, the 509X has very few to no rivals. 

My "Ultimate" Amp:

*A Luxman because of the build quality, features and acceptable price. Compared to nearest & equal rival, Accuphase, Luxmans are a bargain.

*A Luxman Class A Int Amp for the tone, soul and emotions that they produce.

*A Luxman Class A 60 watts pc Int Amp!! - maybe impossible and imagine the heat!

Play more music!

To the 2 SN members who bought my 550AX and 590AXII, hope you are enjoying them.

Photos of 550AX, 590AXII and 509X 

5ac5d46941bef_170915OOLLUXMAN5EDIT-02025.thumb.jpg.dcd13f8535e1b60cfe7a960eccef206d.jpgLuxman-590AX-II-Front-3.thumb.jpg.5fe56789e3e434b9b33f87d255957bbe.jpg751631789_Luxman509X.thumb.jpg.0547071190c2a5f7b393473023bd6a90.jpg

Hi. I just bought a brand new L509x and I would like to check with you whether the holes in the top grille looks raw and unfinished? Mine looks like this (see attached). It is a little shocking to see such finishing in a flagship amplifier.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-05 at 8.14.05 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-05 at 8.14.06 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-05 at 8.32.41 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-06 at 1.49.52 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-06 at 1.50.16 PM.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry for very late reply.

Have you sorted the grills/holes problem. 

Doesn't look right.

Can't check as I have sold the 509 for a SET tube amp, which I live but wish I still have a Luxman 550ax or 590ax as a second amp.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

@douggie

These pics are from my M700u. Couldn't be bothered pulling it out for you. Just jammed the camera in, and took some snaps. Looks about the same. Never really noticed it before and tbh don't really care.

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.3a1f009ef993e040fee256e2a25df006.JPGIMG_0004.thumb.JPG.ce4a90f1da48f0c919123c8f09bbe834.JPG

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 10:18 AM, Razuu said:

Hi. Sorry for very late reply.

Have you sorted the grills/holes problem. 

Doesn't look right.

Can't check as I have sold the 509 for a SET tube amp, which I live but wish I still have a Luxman 550ax or 590ax as a second amp.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. The dealer brought in another brand new 509 to the shop and asked me to go down to compare. As expected, the other unit was much better (see the attached photo). Did a swap and it's all ok now.

I only wished they have done it earlier and not keep saying "it's normal", forcing me to ask around forums like a madman to see whether it is really "normal". The experience was not that pleasant.

CollageMaker_20201011_193924394.jpg

On 26/09/2020 at 10:35 AM, John Doe said:

@douggie

These pics are from my M700u. Couldn't be bothered pulling it out for you. Just jammed the camera in, and took some snaps. Looks about the same. Never really noticed it before and tbh don't really care.

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.3a1f009ef993e040fee256e2a25df006.JPGIMG_0004.thumb.JPG.ce4a90f1da48f0c919123c8f09bbe834.JPG

Thanks for the help in taking the pictures. Yes, yours is what I consider "normal".

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading through this post.

I am thinking upgrade my Luxman 350a to either 590axii or 509x.

still dunno which one consider.

my room size around 15sqm using ATC SCM11. Mainly listen to pop music and nearly never classical or orchestra. Any idea?

thanks

Guest thethrowback
21 hours ago, MosesLi said:

either 590axii or 509x

It really depends on the speakers that you intend to use with the amp. I recently took delivery of a bouncing baby L-509X and I did consider the L-590axii, but it doesn't have sufficient output to drive my B&W 802Ds. Another factor is the volume that you are accustomed to.

I am very happy with the performance of the L-509X. I listen to all sorts of music, but for jazz I like using Martin Logan ESLs as I find they are the best at reproducing the sound of wind instruments. The combination works well and the instrument separation and soundstage is superb.

After reading this Forum, I had a look at the grille holes on my amp and I can report they are much neater than the example shown above, but admittedly close up they don't match the rest of the build quality.

Edited by thethrowback

• 5 months later...

• 2 months later...

Hi Luxmen, can I pick your brains please. I'm considering a 590ax-ii to replace a Marantz PM KI Ruby but it's giving me the anxiety being such a big purchase and I don't want to regret moving away from the Ruby. The only thing in common is they're both all analogue. The Ruby is 100w class D but I've read it measures closer to 170.  

Speakers are Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend II and reputed to match easily with just about any amp

Bandwidth: 35 ~ 25 kHz
Efficient 97 dB-SPL 1W, 1m
Impedance: 12 ohm
Power Amp Range: 4 ~ 300 watt 

Can you think of any reason the 590 might be a poor match with my speakers? I can't, and I really like them so would hate to change. Also my room is not huge but I do like it loud sometimes.

Any comparisons to the Marantz amp? I'm not unhappy with it at all, it's an amazing piece of kit but the opportunity to try the Luxman is so very tempting (those VU meters!) and I haven't read anything bad about it. Would you consider it likely to be a big step up or more of a sidegrade?

Ta for any help. 

20 minutes ago, NADCRUSHER said:

Any comparisons to the Marantz amp? I'm not unhappy with it at all, it's an amazing piece of kit but the opportunity to try the Luxman is so very tempting (those VU meters!) and I haven't read anything bad about it. Would you consider it likely to be a big step up or more of a sidegrade?

Ta for any help. 

As a previous Luxman L-550AX owner, the Luxman will crush the Marantz. More organic, more liquid, more musical.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, Hydrology said:

Good stuff. Hope you get a unit, we haven’t had stock for months.

Lucky enough to pick up a virtually new one on here which arrived today and has been in my ears for an hour or so. It's everything the KI Ruby wasn't, and that was a beautiful sounding amp make no mistake. The L590AX-ii walks all over it.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, NADCRUSHER said:

Lucky enough to pick up a virtually new one on here which arrived today and has been in my ears for an hour or so. It's everything the KI Ruby wasn't, and that was a beautiful sounding amp make no mistake. The L590AX-ii walks all over it.

Great! Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread. 

I have a Luxman 507u. I’m thinking about adding a sub to my system.  I understand something like a REL connects differently.. 

but say a SVS sub or similar. How would one go about adding that. The amp has a pre out but I’m not sure if it’s active all the time or just when the separate button is used.  
The manual isn’t clear about this.  

thanks all. 

46 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Just resurrecting this thread. 

I have a Luxman 507u. I’m thinking about adding a sub to my system.  I understand something like a REL connects differently.. 

but say a SVS sub or similar. How would one go about adding that. The amp has a pre out but I’m not sure if it’s active all the time or just when the separate button is used.  
The manual isn’t clear about this.  

thanks all. 

I previously had a 507ux. The pre-outs were always active, and ran a sub fine.