• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Full Range said:

The easy Turntable to use is one with onboard phonostage 

The one I’m thinking of is one of the Audio Technica offerings 

https://audio-technica.com.au/products/at-lp60-usb/

Has an onboard phono 

Has a USB port 

But can go for a better model if funds are left over 

It's a saving of $150 over the Music Hall (which also has in-built phono), but it's plastic'y and not as visually appealing as the Music Hall which is a consideration here.
I dare say the MH would sound a lot better too IMO.

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Marc said:

I strongly disagree mate :) Hi-Fi stores are seeing a resurgence in walk-in customers off the back of the vinyl revival. Thinking vinyl is not thinking audiophile. Turntable is absolutely a necessity, and just as important as digital streaming, bluetooth connectivity etc.

The system outlined here does ALL that, within the budget.

The phono stage in inbuilt in the model I suggested, so no further components are required, and it will plug right into the aux input of the Node2.

Seriously, most of these people are interested in vinyl because the "vibe" is that you need a turntable for good sound.

You know as well as I do that that is a big fat myth.

In one room only, you should have a great sounding system for "everyone else". Easy to set up in most rooms and robust enough for family living. This room, as I suggested before, should not be just another demo room - it should be about what everyone else can use and get really good sound.

You should be able to stick a Naim Mu-so in the back of the room and the system you choose should be as versatile and sound better than that. Otherwise what's the point? And what $500 turntable in a $2000 system can pull off that trick?

I wouldn't rule out opting for the power node 2 and using a pair of passives.

I would also think that maybe it should be 2k for the steaming setup which would be used 90% of the time considering TV sound and Spotify convenience etc.

The turntable could then be the added extra to an already great sounding system for (insert your turntable budget here) if vynil is required.

• Like 1

@marc I’d be happy to man the room for an hour or so. I don’t consider myself a true audiophile anyway and my living room system is really what we are looking at here but on steroids, integrated with streaming, tt, speakers and single sub

• Love 1

Reading through the posts, I get the feeling that we are devolving the original idea back to the "phone plus bluetooth speaker"  that we want to avoid.

For me,  a hifi system should be made up of components that we might choose and upgrade as wont and budget permit.  I think, as much as possible within the budget, we should aim to do this.  For example, use passive speakers and a separate amp.  Separate preamp/power amp maybe.   A turntable is very much desired, to move away from only source being digital via the phone , even if replaced by a digital streamer/mp3 player.

• Like 3

Just now, aussievintage said:

Reading through the posts, I get the feeling that we are devolving the original idea back to the "phone plus bluetooth speaker"  that we want to avoid.

For me,  a hifi system should be made up of components that we might choose and upgrade as wont and budget permit.  I think, as much as possible within the budget, we should aim to do this.  For example, use passive speakers and a separate amp.  Separate preamp/power amp maybe.   A turntable is very much desired, to move away from only source being digital via the phone , even if replaced by a digital streamer/mp3 player.

Exactly. Thank you.?

4 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Seriously, most of these people are interested in vinyl because the "vibe" is that you need a turntable for good sound.

You know as well as I do that that is a big fat myth.

In one room only, you should have a great sounding system for "everyone else". Easy to set up in most rooms and robust enough for family living. This room, as I suggested before, should not be just another demo room - it should be about what everyone else can use and get really good sound.

You should be able to stick a Naim Mu-so in the back of the room and the system you choose should be as versatile and sound better than that. Otherwise what's the point? And what $500 turntable in a $2000 system can pull off that trick?

Spot on!  I got over the myth that you need vinyl for "good" sound way back at the end of the 1960s when I was making tapes on my Reel to Reel.  It's a myth and has been for at least the past three decades, if not more.  Today it's a bit like saying that you need a film camera to take decent pictures.  Absolute nonsense!

IMHO, a $2k or less system is a completely viable proposition.  To be so, it should consist of active speakers coupled with a dac/streamer split something like 60/40 price wise with ancilliaries (cables, speaker stands etc.) taking up no more than 10% of the budget.  Eggcup's specific recommendations are good here too.

• Like 1

Interesting!

If you are using Roon as a source can I suggest using REW (free) and a cheap USB microphone (? Phone mic) to generate room correction filters. Easy to switch on and off in Roon.

I would also ditch the turntable for a subwoofer......

Another interesting thread!

Might I suggest:

• Krix Equinox Mk3 $795 (Australian content, genuine hifi sound)
  • Yamaha R-N303D Network Amplifier $599 Eastwood Hifi (Phono in, digital in, WiFi, Bluetooth, Musicast, DAB+, Spotify, Tidal etc)
  • Pro-ject Essential II TT $240 JB Hifi with cart
  • Sony UBP-X800 player $450 Eastwood Hifi (Bluray, SACD, CD, DVD-A, digital out to N303D)

TOTAL $2086

Equinox_Mk3_Black_Woodgrain-500x500.jpg

11E0827C73354C648BB044AF7A69D930_12073_3

bc9a72dcfd7796920d68955f62dc0589?fmt=pjp

essentialii.png?v=1401257476

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Another interesting thread!

Might I suggest:

• Krix Equinox Mk3 $795 (Australian content, genuine hifi sound)
  • Yamaha R-N303D Network Amplifier $599 Eastwood Hifi (Phono in, digital in, WiFi, Bluetooth, Musicast, DAB+, Spotify, Tidal etc)
  • Pro-ject Essential II TT $240 JB Hifi with cart
  • Sony UBP-X800 player $450 Eastwood Hifi (Bluray, SACD, CD, DVD-A, digital out to N303D)

TOTAL $2086

I was just looking at the price reduction on the Project Essential II last night.  Makes it very attractive.  A great basic belt drive TT that can be upgraded to a better cart down the track.

I am in two minds about the CD player though.  Maybe spend some of that money on a large hard drive to store ripped CDs on.

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
12 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Interesting!

If you are using Roon as a source can I suggest using REW (free) and a cheap USB microphone (? Phone mic) to generate room correction filters. Easy to switch on and off in Roon.

I'd be wary of this as well. When the customer for this room turns up, they don't want to be told "oh, all you have to do is spend several hours learning about EQ curves...". If it's a five minute long jargon free process that's different, giving someone a thing to do to improve the sound could be like the "just add an egg" cake mixes, an introduction to being involved.

13 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Small steps tiger ?.

It is not about what the converted feel a HiFi system is, it's about showing how easily one can achieve better results than a bluetooth speaker, without breaking the bank. My wife and kids couldn't work out a pre/power combo and DAC despite cheat sheets. We want to make this a painless transition into the world of hifi, not a headache they will quickly give up on.

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
13 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I've argued against the turntable, but I see what you're getting at.

There are two holes to fall into here. One is that phone plus bluetooth speaker thing. We avoid that by having the ability to stream from a phone, but also having a higher fidelity source. I'd argue for Tidal in that role but a cheap store of CD and a bit of high res music could also do the job.

The second hole is building a dem room with a system that doesn't sound as good as the others. This room should be about how someone in the street can quickly, and relatively cheaply, introduce great quality sound into a "normal" living room. It's an adjunct to a hi-fi show, and it should also say "here's where to start, and there is a whole world of top quality sound available to you in the manufacturers' demo rooms to explore as well".

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

This room should be about how someone in the street can quickly, and relatively cheaply, introduce great quality sound into a "normal" living room. It's an adjunct to a hi-fi show, and it should also say "here's where to start, and there is a whole world of top quality sound available to you in the manufacturers' demo rooms to explore as well".

This was always what is what solely about.

Sadly, it's turned it's trending into a traditional Hi-Fi system and the anti-vinyl voices are very loud.

I'm losing a tad of enthusiasm by allowing the StereoNET community to decide upon this system, as I feel there are very few that actually understand where the market for non-enthusiasts actually is, and what they want.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I talk to retailers across Australia on a daily basis.

Not sure if I've already said this in this thread, but at last year's show there were just two products that were constantly asked about by attendees at the ticket desk on their way out of the show. "Where can I buy that Bluetooth speaker (Studio19.london Solo), and the BenQ GS-1 projector?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of some high end sales at and following the show, but those buyers is also not what this is about.

Whether it's my marketing and the new, young audience the show attracts, or whether its the bigger picture of where the industry is at, those two questions say it all. Or perhaps they were just two of a very few products that attendees could actually afford.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey there, stumbled across this thread almost by accident as I'm actually trying to build an actual system to a $2K budget. Here's what I'm considering buying - actual retail price at bricks and mortar hifi stores in Sydney. 

1. Speakers: Elac Debut B6 - $649 at Sydney Hifi Mona Vale

- Having auditioned in the real-world, these are the real-deal

- All the sound + bass extension I need for a Sydney small-ish apartment 

2. Amplification: NAD D3020v2 Hybrid Digital Amplifier - $699 at Apollo Hifi 

- On-board MM DAC with USB/coax/Optical

- On-board phono-stage

- AptX Bluetooth

- Sub-out

- Pre-out (for later addition of a power amp, if desired)

- Headphone amp

3. Digital Source: Google Chromecast Audio - $59 at JBHifi 

- This one's a no-brainer - bit-perfect hand-off of 1's and 0's up to 24-bit/96kHz (which is more than most people SHOULD ever need)

- Hooked-up to the NAD D3020 via Optical

- Streams Tidal/Spotify/GPM/Whatever from Wifi

4. Turntable: Pro-ject Essential III w/ Ortofon OM10 cartridge - $550 at Sydney Hifi Mona Vale

- Bullet-proof, reliable, proven

TOTAL: $1957 (real-world, retail price).

This leave $43 to duck into Jaycar Electronics on the way home, and grab:

- 2 x 2m lengths of Extra Heavy Duty Speaker cable at $2.70/m = $10.80

- 4 x Black Gold banana plug @ $4.95 each = $19.80

- 1 x 1m Optical Toslink cable = $9.95

GRAND TOTAL = $1,997.55

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I talk to retailers across Australia on a daily basis.

retailers often do this kind of thing. eg I remember a Heos based system CAV did. I also remember an utterly gorgeous sounding system I heard many years ago at Tivoli where they partnered around a budget nad amp. these guys do this kind of thing day in day out I suspect got ears to ground and listening to customers to come up with stuff that suits. I am sure they might have come ideas.

I know have plans already afoot. but another approach might be a bit of a room with participating dealers let to setup some base systems. and have a bit of a sound off at end and give winning system away to people who vote .... anyways just a thought... probably last thing you need is just more thoughts on this I suspect :D 

just go with what you think is right at end of it :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, barn door said:

I’d say we may all be missing a major driver to purchase for this particular demographic . . . And that’s aesthetic . . .

Whether a speaker sounds “better” will mean little if it looks like a pig in someone’s lounge room . . . And let’s face it, we’re not talking sensational sound at this price point.

I see this demographic drooling over a “retro” looking system with a wooden finish turntable and similar bookshelf speakers and hidden streamer

OR, alternatively something all in white . . . turntable, Node 2, bookshelf speakers

Maybe set up 2 systems and have the public vote for which they prefer for some market research on what floats people’s boat (those that aren’t in search of audio bliss, but more an addition to their lifestyle).

I think the Audioengine look the part and if better than my 5+'s then sound is pretty surprising. To my mind the timber finish makes them stand apart from all the other black (or white) active monitors and more "homely". YMMV

audioengine_hd6_02.jpg?itok=fllcUiWr

But there are also other established HiFi brands doing actives that may offer more desirability. Dynaudio BM5 MkIII can be had for under $1000, the Kef's Marc mentioned, JBL LSR308 MkII $745 , Focal Alpha 80 $849

The Music Hall mmf 1.3 TT is virtually a re-branded and tweaked Project so can expect more than adequate sound quality and visual aesthetics from that. Personally I'd spend the extra $200 for the mmf 1.5 and get a timber veneer, but that its just me.

@Marc, how'd the Triangle package stand up last night?

29 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm losing a tad of enthusiasm by allowing the StereoNET community to decide upon this system, as I feel there are very few that actually understand where the market for non-enthusiasts actually is, and what they want.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of some high end sales at and following the show, but those buyers is also not what this is about.

I think that trying to be democratic about the process was asking for trouble. There have been, to my mind, a good number of great suggestions put forward in this thread which would likely appeal to the target audience. 

At the end of the day though, it's (presumably) your coin being spent Marc so completely your final decision. There will always be some that think the choice is poor but, considering you have your finger on the pulse to a greater degree than most, your component selection will likely be the one closest to that "mass appeal" requirement.

48 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm not surprised @Marc.  We're into 3 pages of comments and there's barely more than a handful of actual system suggestion and even less that have managed to incorporate a turntable.

More importantly though, did you get to listen to a demo of the Triangle setup you mentioned yesterday because that all white setup (including the Bluesound) is likely to have a lot of lounge room appeal to the iDevice generation?