Duntech Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

After using newly made interim crossovers for the past year and having the rebuilt originals sitting in a cupboard waiting, I finally had them installed yesterday. Rather than attempt it myself, I thought I’d try something. So I placed a request in the local notice board thread on Facebook for an electronics expert who could solder these in for me. Lo and behold, I got a response from a guy who happened to be coming here from Melb this weekend. He’s had 50 years experience and suggested that this would be a simple task. He came over yesterday morning and, armed with Kiat’s specific instructions, he went about the job. About 90 mins later it was done. I reinstalled the crossovers into their little drawer space and nervously played some music. All speakers firing... so far so good. Once Chris had gone I settled into some initial listening. Oh dear, three hours later I decided to get on with the other jobs I had planned for the day. I had a smile from ear to ear. I’ll post some more detailed impressions later, after I dress them up with their new socks. I’ll take a couple of pics too. For now here’s a crappy shot of the xover in place. cd8a7b86a7b84e0ddc5b32fd48ab1b5c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

About time too slack@rse!
I would've had them soldered in within the first few days of getting the crossovers - you always had the option of inviting a few SNAers up like frednork to have a go ! [emoji3]

• Like 1

Sorry I've been slack as having family in Bairnsdale I could have easily swung by your joint to do the job but it sounds like it's all good now. Throw on some Weedeater fot the "true" test. Look forward to hearing the mighty Duntechs once again somewhere down the line....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unclemack said:

I had a smile from ear to ear

A mate of mine visited Kiat from Duntech/Orpheus last year and listened to a pair of his $80 000 huge speakers... he tells me the experience was amazing.

I'll have to arrange to see these in person sometime too and hear what he was talking about I think, as I hear nothing but praise for both brands.

From what I am told, all Duntech/Orpheus speakers have custom hand built crossovers using quality components and Kiat is very particular in ensuring pairs have a perfectly matched sound... none of this + or - 3dB variance cr@p.

@unclemack good to hear you are enjoying them immensely and the sound is back on track. :D

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

I like the grey socks look good.

Bit hard to design a large speaker to look good but l reckon the Duntechs do it well.

Thanks mate. I like the grey. Did the same with my last pair. A bit less imposing than the Black given their height. M

Wow, Mack, those are fantastic and look fantastically large in your room, you must have low ceilings? Be sure to have a chat with Paul on Saturday about room treatments as he has a lot of experience to offer having down a few commisions in community halls and pub venues across Victoria. I am sure you could benefit greatly from some treatments :)

I always saw a pair of Sovereigns in my future, but alas, that ship has sailed. I would love to hear your Crown Princes some day.

• Like 2

One of my first jobs was working for an American international freight forwarder (Emery Worldwide - bought out by UPS some years back).

I remember seeing these HUGE boxes in the warehouse that were going to the US by air and asking what they were.

They were Duntech Crown Princes and Sovereigns and the staff told me sometimes they had all sorts of problems getting them delivered to residential addresses. One delivery in New York had to be performed via crane through windows into an apartment as this was the only way to get them in!

Then a couple of years later I went to Duntech on a sales call and sat in their listening room and was mesmerized and saw some outer space CD player made by Krell. Had no idea of the brand. As a young lad I was mesmerized! 

Great sounding speakers!

• Like 6

Wow, Mack, those are fantastic and look fantastically large in your room, you must have low ceilings? Be sure to have a chat with Paul on Saturday about room treatments as he has a lot of experience to offer having down a few commisions in community halls and pub venues across Victoria. I am sure you could benefit greatly from some treatments [emoji4]

I always saw a pair of Sovereigns in my future, but alas, that ship has sailed. I would love to hear your Crown Princes some day.

Thanks Mate. Yes the ceilings are quite low and the room isn’t very wide. But, somehow the CPs sound great. I get really solid bass, perhaps not as wide a soundstage as I’d like but very nice overall. Look forward to speaking with Paul re treatments. Cheers. M
  • Like 1

About time too slack@rse!
I would've had them soldered in within the first few days of getting the crossovers - you always had the option of inviting a few SNAers up like frednork to have a go ! [emoji3]

I know I’ve been terribly slack but the wait has been worth it. To be honest I’ve had so much else to do around the house it got pushed down the priority list. Asking an SNA’er to help out was out of the question due to being out in the sticks. I got lucky with reaching out to the community here. Have to say though the wait has been worth it. Attila’s crossovers worked really well but these rebuilt ones have brought back the top end which was a bit soft with the Attila’s. The bass is still superb but there’s better detail and balance now. I’m a happy boy. For what these have cost me it’s almost criminal that they sound so good. You’re welcome over anytime Clive. M
  • Like 2

UM, I cant remember exactly, are the new crossovers "refreshed" with modern equivalents or a different design?

Well, I guess they’re redesigned. Quite a bit smaller and with fewer caps than the originals. But Kiat knows his stuff and the proof is in the listening. Which is very pleasant btw.
  • Like 1

I know I’ve been terribly slack but the wait has been worth it. To be honest I’ve had so much else to do around the house it got pushed down the priority list. Asking an SNA’er to help out was out of the question due to being out in the sticks. I got lucky with reaching out to the community here. Have to say though the wait has been worth it. Attila’s crossovers worked really well but these rebuilt ones have brought back the top end which was a bit soft with the Attila’s. The bass is still superb but there’s better detail and balance now. I’m a happy boy. For what these have cost me it’s almost criminal that they sound so good. You’re welcome over anytime Clive. M
Will have to coordinate with a few others and make it a proper party weekend! [emoji4]
Although you work Saturday's from memory?

Will have to coordinate with a few others and make it a proper party weekend! [emoji4]
Although you work Saturday's from memory?

Yeah either sat or sun every week. With enough notice I could have the weekend off though. Once I’ve finished up inside I’ll work something out. M
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, unclemack said:

Well, I guess they’re redesigned. Quite a bit smaller and with fewer caps than the originals. But Kiat knows his stuff and the proof is in the listening. Which is very pleasant btw.

Kiat mentioned to me that the upgraded crossovers use different caps and resistors of the same values as the originals.

Although there is a bucket load of felt shrouding the tweets and mids in these, my 5m x 6m small room  improved stage width and detail with just 50mm of csr martini panels on 1st side reflection points.....in black for mine... But maybe you could use the same grey over your treatments :) The same panels on the front wall surprisingly made things far too dead rather than improving depth... Every room is different though of course. 

Congrats on the sounds you are getting with these UM. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 8:15 PM, Sub Sonic said:

This would have to be the smallest Duntech speaker ever, the MRM 1 Contessa. It runs a single wide range Scan Speak 13m driver in each cabinet with a correction network. I have to replace a cone in one of the units due to being open circuit, fortunately I have a genuine spare.

There is almost zero information on the internet about it, I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has come across them.

I've had a pair since new. I also have the original blurb sheets, the original one is attached below. DN

Contessa1.pdf

• Like 3

I bought a pair of Marquis recently which came with some Duntech paperwork.

Will attach photos over the next week or so. Hoping to build up the reference material on this thread.

Marquis:

DSC04751.JPG

DSC04752.JPG

• Like 2