My System Today

1 hour ago, Batty said:

The Copland just works, does everything right and has 85 watts per channel, this was my main amp until I went with Pass.

The A1 is 20 watts of class A, great little amp but does run hot. Plus it needs a respray, cost me $100.

Denon and Luxman were both roadside finds, Denon is OK and I have not heard the Luxman yet.

You have a Luxman that you haven't heard yet?!:ermm: 

I'm assuming it's vintage.....what model?

On 06/06/2021 at 9:39 AM, Old Man Rubber said:

Finally took the op-shop Hitachi D-500 cassette deck to my tech guy to get repaired, although I own enough decks and didn't really have a use for it.  It's a lovely sounding thing and the wacky half-laid-down cassette mechanism is hugely fun.

But...when I went to pick it up he said "hey have a look at this" and hauled out a Hitachi HA-610 amplifier.  We admired them together for a while and instead of my original intention (to move the cassette deck on) he sold the amp to me for peanuts.  It's surprisingly grunty and has a load of inputs (2 aux, 2 turntables, 2 cassettes), plus the capability to turn it into a pre-amp.

The 2nd turntable input has some kind of gain control on it (not sure, maybe for a low output cartridge?).  I have a solid little technics D212 turntable that needs a cleanup to sit on top.

20210605_150739.jpg

That HA-610 is a great amp, and built like a brick outhouse, I bought one new back in the 70's with one of my first HiFi setup's....about $260 new if I remember correctly.

I remember reading those little Best Buy magazines that Australian HiFi used to produce, one for Amps, others for speakers etc, and the Hitachi got a rave review which was the reason I bought it....The ending comments of the review said ''this is one darn fine amp, highly recommended''

They tested it at putting out 110w into 8ohms and nearly double into 4ohms [it's only rated at 60w ].....they also made a bigger version that was rated at 100w

I eventually sold it, but about 30 years later saw one on Ebay going for a song, so feeling sentimental I decided to get it to see how it compared to more modern amps..it fared pretty darn well TBH, plenty of grunt and surprisingly sweet sounding, plus you can defeat the tone controls....pity I lost the manual, and haven't been able to find one online, as I forgot how to use those three gain control buttons beneath the volume control, next to the obligatory in it's time, loundness button.

I still use it today.

My HT amp had one of the main channels blow [still haven't bothered to get it fixed] so I pulled the old Hitachi and pulled out the U shaped pins that connect the Pre and power sections of the amp, ran the pre out of the HT amp and plugged it into the Hitachi's power section using it to power the front mains, a big improvement over the HT power section TBH.

I just remembered back in the day that I ran a set of VU meters between the pre and power section, totally useless, but looked the part....the things you do in your teens ☺️

EDIT: Old Man Rubber, that little control at the rear near the phono input and ground connector is so you can adjust for using MC cartridges, which reminded me what the gain control buttons on the front panel were used for, you choose one [or several combined] to adjust the gain on the front quickly when changing to line level sources.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jventer said:

I am digressing partly from the question:

Main system for serious listening is pre and monos,

BUT

in the same system I am, at the moment, using a Krell KAV-400xi for daily listening and more importantly for my wife and kids that are more into pop, rock and disco. May I add that the bass from this amp is massive!

(May I add that the monos are 28W Class A which is fantastic, but the Krell has 200/400 W on tap - hence the popularity in the house (And my fear of blown speakers :) ) )

Bedroom system:

Luxman L-430. It is an oldie but a goodie - nice relaxing sound. (I do not need separates here.)

The KAV400xi is the best sounding of the cheaper Krell Integrateds, thats for sure.

• Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber
12 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

That HA-610 is a great amp, ....pity I lost the manual, and haven't been able to find one online, as I forgot how to use those three gain control buttons beneath the volume control, next to the obligatory in it's time, loundness button.

I still use it today.

I just remembered back in the day that I ran a set of VU meters between the pre and power section, totally useless, but looked the part....the things you do in your teens ☺️

HiFi Engine has a copy of the manual, although it's surprisingly hard to understand.  The buttons seem to do something to attenuate the output in stages which is weird and I am sure it's useful to somebody but I can't work it out.  The volume control is also a bit odd - physically stepped instead of using a potentiometer.  From playing with the buttons, it seems that if you want ever more precise control of the volume, you switch in the smaller buttons and that means the volume control operates in smaller increments (although at a lower volume).  At max the amp has quite big steps between the values.  Despite those quirks it's a pretty sweet, punchy amp that doesn't make any excuses for it's age, it must have been something special in the 1970s when you bought yours.

4 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

HiFi Engine has a copy of the manual, although it's surprisingly hard to understand.  The buttons seem to do something to attenuate the output in stages which is weird and I am sure it's useful to somebody but I can't work it out.  The volume control is also a bit odd - physically stepped instead of using a potentiometer.  From playing with the buttons, it seems that if you want ever more precise control of the volume, you switch in the smaller buttons and that means the volume control operates in smaller increments (although at a lower volume).  At max the amp has quite big steps between the values.  Despite those quirks it's a pretty sweet, punchy amp that doesn't make any excuses for it's age, it must have been something special in the 1970s when you bought yours.

I used to use those buttons if I was using a source that had a higher output than something else connected, came in handy when I plugged a CD player into it, which saved on jumping up suddenly when the volume control was set too high and I couldn't get it into a comfortable range.

Which is pretty much as you described it's use.

I read a review of a new amp a few years ago that had the same sort of gain control buttons, and the reviewer said it was a great idea and a pity more manufacturers didn't have them.....everything old is new again as they say.

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.70b6ca8a564e08ab5ce460b3a16fd094.JPGIMG_0045.thumb.JPG.ff97891049cdf9e7df2f44e144dde384.JPGIMG_0044.thumb.JPG.03ccec5e1b44977c9e2df40b5eaab4a3.JPG

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

You have a Luxman that you haven't heard yet?!:ermm: 

I'm assuming it's vintage.....what model?

It's an L-1, I assume lower end of their range at some time in the 80's.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

The kids leave the drivers alone?

Yep never had a problem with any of my of my kids, they just leave them alone. Touch wood coz the youngest is still only 4

• Like 2

8 hours ago, russell66 said:

Yep never had a problem with any of my of my kids, they just leave them alone. Touch wood coz the youngest is still only 4

My daughter, now 29, was the same. Never had a problem. 

• Like 1

The Luxman was a bit rusty as it was a roadside find, so I decided to clean it up a bit....

Only had white enamel paint though.

I think it looks quite good, Mrs. B likes it.

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.4ce98f0ed86882f1c4869b68b67d873f.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.ed2b524724b62a46ec97a2cf64623893.JPG

• Like 11

On 07/06/2021 at 6:30 PM, Batty said:

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.70b6ca8a564e08ab5ce460b3a16fd094.JPGIMG_0045.thumb.JPG.ff97891049cdf9e7df2f44e144dde384.JPGIMG_0044.thumb.JPG.03ccec5e1b44977c9e2df40b5eaab4a3.JPG

It's an L-1, I assume lower end of their range at some time in the 80's.

Nice little amp from the very early 80's.....it'll still sound nice. My second amp was an L3, in fact I still have it. :)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 11:58 PM, stevoz said:

Nice little amp from the very early 80's.....it'll still sound nice. My second amp was an L3, in fact I still have it. :)

I may try out the L-1 today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickstuh said:

@Steever Can you tell me - what is the vertical rack, holding the Cyrus gear? Looks very handy.

It’s a Cyrus Hark stand. The original version. I love the design and it’s very compact. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 8:43 PM, tripitaka said:

Which speakers are these?

They are Nuforce S9 speakers.  They only made a few pairs because they said the cost of production was too high. I never really understood why they didn't start selling them for more, they retailed at around $5.5k USD.  I guess they thought there wasn't a market for them.

• Like 1

https://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/07/retro-6l6-se-ul-mkii-power-amp.html

I started, some years back, on this metal tube 6L6 amp but didn’t finish it straight away. I started a second one and finished that first. It had glass tubes and Mundorf silver and oil interstage. Both wine box amps. 

The metal tubes tested well but were scuffed and a little rusty. I sanded them back and repainted in high temperature paint. It has Solen interstate and all 1W carbon film Rs. 

Never been played with my horns but WOW what a sound. A complete  surprise. This amp has only ever been used in my system two as a background music setup. I just can’t believe how good it sounds. 

CE859894-41A0-4105-828B-29A97DB0E65E.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 11

How good is SNA?! Without it, I probably would have never discovered that I can make the display any colour on my amp. Pretty cool. I stumbled upon this fact by chance, when looking for some other info. I assumed the oled display was white only. Changing the colour never crossed my mind tbh. I like the white, but it is good to change it up. Pictured is green obviously.

19924FA1-6414-4A75-B7B9-7CE57241A787.jpeg

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

How good is SNA?! Without it, I probably would have never discovered that I can make the display any colour on my amp. Pretty cool. I stumbled upon this fact by chance, when looking for some other info.

19924FA1-6414-4A75-B7B9-7CE57241A787.jpeg

Any chance of doing the same to your Hi-Fi rack there?!?! It's as rough as guts! :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Any chance of doing the same to your Hi-Fi rack there?!?! It's as rough as guts! :) 

hahaha it came like that! Bought many years ago, so I don't even notice it anymore.

It's made from recycled Indian boats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2