My System Today

34 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I love the layout. I've been tempted by the Leak CDT as the wood looks good.  has it been easy to use? any issues so far?

Thanks mate. I’m pretty impressed with the Leak I must say. Easy to use. My only gripe is if you leave it paused for too long it resets back to the first track. Pretty minor. 
I forgot to list the DAC which is an SMSL M300mk2 and seems to work very well with the Leak. 
I made the cabinets to match the wood surround too ;) 

On 02/06/2021 at 2:10 PM, W47ty said:

My current listening iteration.....

Thorens TD150MK2 - Grace 707/F8

Leak CDT

Akai GX 210D RtR

SMSL M300 mk2 DAC

NAD C160 Preamp

Schiit Vali Headphone amp

DENON POA 4400 Monoblocks

JBL L100 Century

MS 309 Subwoofer (bit of an experiment which I like so far but will no doubt change to a smaller sub)

Shure SRH1540 and Grado PS500e headphones

I have an Audiolab 8200A on way which I will give a go on preamp duties.

Chord connects and Van den Hul Clearwater speaker cable

I am really enjoying this setup but I can't help myself so it will keep changing although at this stage the Denons and JBL are keepers.  :)

cheers

chris 

Heard the L100's at the Hi Fi Show and loved them! Also Grace arm and cart......definitely love that.....I'm a Grace man!! Nice set up.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Heard the L100's at the Hi Fi Show and loved them! Also Grace arm and cart......definitely love that.....I'm a Grace man!! Nice set up.:thumb:

Thanks mate.  I have a TD165 with an RB300 and a Garrett Brothers P77 cartridge. I prefer the Grace combo I think :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W47ty said:

Thanks mate.  I have a TD165 with an RB300 and a Garrett Brothers P77 cartridge. I prefer the Grace combo I think :)

Rega 330 arm and Garrett P77i myself. Just love it. Most unpretentious with a DIY tube phono stage. 

Edited by mwhouston

8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Rega 330 arm and Garrett P77i myself. Just love it. Most unpretentious with a DIY tube phono stage. 

Nice. My problem is I keep changing my mind on which I prefer :) 

• Like 1

Guest Old Man Rubber

Finally took the op-shop Hitachi D-500 cassette deck to my tech guy to get repaired, although I own enough decks and didn't really have a use for it.  It's a lovely sounding thing and the wacky half-laid-down cassette mechanism is hugely fun.

But...when I went to pick it up he said "hey have a look at this" and hauled out a Hitachi HA-610 amplifier.  We admired them together for a while and instead of my original intention (to move the cassette deck on) he sold the amp to me for peanuts.  It's surprisingly grunty and has a load of inputs (2 aux, 2 turntables, 2 cassettes), plus the capability to turn it into a pre-amp.

The 2nd turntable input has some kind of gain control on it (not sure, maybe for a low output cartridge?).  I have a solid little technics D212 turntable that needs a cleanup to sit on top.

20210605_150739.jpg

Guest Old Man Rubber
3 hours ago, misternavi said:

@Old Man Rubber I love the Hitachi gear from the past. Well made and super reliable. I still have Hitachi Receiver from the 70's still going strong after over 40 years.

Honestly I hadn't come across a lot of it - It's a bit confusing researching things due to the strange brand name "Lo-D" they used in the US for a while.  I am very impressed with this gear though, I have it in my workshop for music duties and it's probably far too good for that.

Who uses an integrated amp rather than a preamp/amp combo? 

If you do please state make and model. Integrateds have been make a come back for some years. Wondering how many members have them in their main system. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

If you do please state make and model. Integrateds have been make a come back for some years. Wondering how many members have them in their main system. 

I have both pre power and integrated. 

I have a McIntosh MA2275. 

Also previously had a Marantz Pm15s1 which I wish I never sold 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I have both pre power and integrated. 

I have a McIntosh MA2275. 

Also previously had a Marantz Pm15s1 which I wish I never sold 

I have two DIY tube amps i wish id never sold. I think we all have sale regrets. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have two DIY tube amps i wish id never sold. I think we all have sale regrets. 

Haha as long as they outweigh the gear we regret buying 

• Like 1

I have a Copland CSA29, a Musical Fidelity A1, a Denon DMA250mkII and a Luxman integrated, but I must admit my main uses an Elekit TU8500 and Pass ACA for amplification atm, and a DIY Pass M2X on standby for repair.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Batty said:

I have a Copland CSA29, a Musical Fidelity A1, a Denon DMA250mkII and a Luxman integrated, but I must admit my main uses an Elekit TU8500 and Pass ACA for amplification atm, and a DIY Pass M2X on standby for repair.

Thanks mate for the info. Wow you have a few. Do you have a fav? 

The Copland just works, does everything right and has 85 watts per channel, this was my main amp until I went with Pass.

The A1 is 20 watts of class A, great little amp but does run hot. Plus it needs a respray, cost me $100.

Denon and Luxman were both roadside finds, Denon is OK and I have not heard the Luxman yet.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I am digressing partly from the question:

Main system for serious listening is pre and monos,

BUT

in the same system I am, at the moment, using a Krell KAV-400xi for daily listening and more importantly for my wife and kids that are more into pop, rock and disco. May I add that the bass from this amp is massive!

(May I add that the monos are 28W Class A which is fantastic, but the Krell has 200/400 W on tap - hence the popularity in the house (And my fear of blown speakers :) ) )

Bedroom system:

Luxman L-430. It is an oldie but a goodie - nice relaxing sound. (I do not need separates here.)

Edited by Jventer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Could you plse elaborate for those of us, like me, that cannot spot the unicorn.

I like Cyrus and I like Cyrus' silver quartz finished products. The trouble is, Cyrus only produce their gear in the brushed black finish now unless you live in the UK, where you can special order something in quartz silver. In Australia, we aren't given the quartz, even as a special order. I asked.

I put out my feelers for an older model Cyrus phono stage which strangely enough, was mostly produced in quartz. I would have purchased the newer Phono Signature version but 99% of them (that's a guess right there) were in brushed black. BUT, on the weekend, I closed a deal on a lightly used Phono Sig in quartz and a PSX-R, also in quartz. I was also lucky to sell my current phono stage and moved my TTPSU to under my turntable. This is why there are now gaps on my shelves. The new stuff will be arriving from the UK in a few weeks but I had some time spare y'day for some housekeeping. And it's kinda a big deal for me to find this as they're really hard to get and some people just don't like international postage. 

So, it's not here yet but I'll post up pics when it is.

Edited by Steever
  • Like 4
  • Love 2