My System Today

22 minutes ago, La scala said:

Looking back at vintage gear, there was a knob and attenuator for everything to tailor the sound to ones liking.

Nowadays minimalist designs only allow you to tune via interconnects, speaker cables, room treatments, valves, front end components swaps etc. to achieve audio nirvana however at a significant cost $$$.

Some of us are bold enough to use DSP room/speaker correction which gives us infinite ability to tweak the sound. I couldn't imagine a system without it now.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Some of us are bold enough to use DSP room/speaker correction which gives us infinite ability to tweak the sound. I couldn't imagine a system without it now.

What are you using? I’ve been considering trading in my pre for this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

Just now, furtherpale said:

What are you using? I’ve been considering trading in my pre for this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

The minidsp is the darling of the affordable room correction and DSP solution for the home. However it has some limits because it can only operate at a fixed sample rate which means anything that isn't 96 is resampled to 96 (or 48 depending on the device). Additionally, all except for the SHD studio and OpenDRC-DI do the final DA conversion for you, so you're obliged to use that as your DAC. Whilst the DACs in them are very good value for money, they're not going to come close to the quality of good standalone DACs. I use a DSPeaker X4 in my system, which does preamp, room correction, crossover (to subs), and DAC at the native resolution coming in - 44,48,88, and 96. Most importantly for my setup, it also has digital out so I can use an even better DAC after it. Mind you the X4 is an expensive reference quality device, but their dual core is much more affordable but only does 44/48 internally. The nice thing it offers is automation of the room correction, followed by your ability to manually tweak it how you like, a lot more like Dirac Live.

9 hours ago, gat474 said:

How good is Joey Defrancesco?  Saw him earlier this year at Generations in Jazz in Mt Gambier.  Morrison puts on a big jazz comp for school kids there and part of that is a nightly concert.   Joey was sensational.  Preferred him on the Hammond B3 rather than the sax but either way what a talented guy.

I have recently bought two Joey DeFrancesco albums. 40 and Paesanos with Tony Monaco trio.

Both fantastic. Will certainly test your system bass capabilities.

Edited by BAM
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Additionally, all except for the SHD studio and OpenDRC-DI do the final DA conversion for you, so you're obliged to use that as your DAC.

I see digital outputs on the back of the SHD: https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

And the specifications have the following:

Digital Audio Outputs

Four channels of digital output.

• 2 x SPDIF on RCA connector / Isolated with digital audio transformer.

2 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I see digital outputs on the back of the SHD: https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

And the specifications have the following:

Digital Audio Outputs

Four channels of digital output.

• 2 x SPDIF on RCA connector / Isolated with digital audio transformer.

Ah yes, sorry, the SHD studio is the one with ONLY digital outs. Both SHD devices have digital out. It will still resample though.

Edited by Ittaku

4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Ah yes, sorry, the SHD studio is the one with ONLY digital outs. Both SHD devices have digital out. It will still resample though.

I wonder if you feed it 96kHz will it still bother to do so?

Digital Signal Processor

32-bit Floating point Analog Devices SHARC ADSP21489 / 450MHz

Internal sample rate: 96kHz

Just now, Satanica said:

I wonder if you feed it 96kHz will it still bother to do so?

Well of course it won't. The issue is if your material isn't ALL 48/96/192, you have to resample it somewhere; either before the SHD or within it.

2 hours ago, BAM said:

I have recently bought two Joey DeFrancesco albums. 40 and Paesanos with Tony Monaco trio.

Both fantastic. Will certainly test your system bass capabilities.

Just listening to Parsanos on Tidal now, great album. My Atc’s don’t go that low but the JL Fathoms are filling in the bottom end nicely.

• Like 2

Saturday’s day to install a new Garrott K1 cartridge which completed my overhaul of my office system from this

9934805B-5289-4BDF-BC04-C6A6E2CA6645.thumb.jpeg.48187bfbbd42c3f065cd76dd0b6729b5.jpeg

to this (with MF A3.5CDP out of picture)

FC80E264-D7CC-424B-A771-7EB9B61C3CB2.thumb.jpeg.bcba81ccc9ab812a5780d39b1bb20a27.jpeg

Much better sound and looks and an enjoyable journey in which I learnt a lot, had a lot of fun and dealt with some great and talented SNA members. 

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Made a few changes for the better  :wub:

1809168663_Systemsmall.jpg.c39525063a8a9ddb2e4876e1a6d3524f.jpg

Visually looks no different though :D

Need more CD racks :(

I would think it easy to get second hand CD racks with many getting out of CDs or ripping them so no rack required. It could look cluttered with more racks. Maybe move all CDs to some nice draws somewhere, out of sight. Could be a better WAF!

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

I would think it easy to get second hand CD racks with many getting out of CDs or ripping them so no rack required. It could look cluttered with more racks. Maybe move all CDs to some nice draws somewhere, out of sight. Could be a better WAF!

Was thinking of removing those that rarely get played :thumb:

I do see used racks around, though on a limited budget and needs...rather than wants taking preference, I often pass on them....that's life!...and as some marketing department coined said phrase, life is good! :D

11 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Saturday’s day to install a new Garrott K1 cartridge which completed my overhaul of my office system from this

9934805B-5289-4BDF-BC04-C6A6E2CA6645.thumb.jpeg.48187bfbbd42c3f065cd76dd0b6729b5.jpeg

to this (with MF A3.5CDP out of picture)

FC80E264-D7CC-424B-A771-7EB9B61C3CB2.thumb.jpeg.bcba81ccc9ab812a5780d39b1bb20a27.jpeg

Much better sound and and an enjoyable journey in which I learnt a lot, had a lot of fun and dealt with some great and talented SNA members. 

I miss the simpler days....bet it sounds lovely 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

3 months after moving, tried every combination on every wall and I have a winner.

If you have nil WAF factor (ty Ange) larger speakers can work in a small room.

35DDCF00-9EA4-4F9A-8006-249EC8497FB0.jpeg

9E48B54B-A747-488A-9707-D9672FFFDC01.jpeg

FFD0C291-CFD6-49B6-9A78-144A03701E23.jpeg

How’s the new place going?

3 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Was thinking of removing those that rarely get played :thumb:

I do see used racks around, though on a limited budget and needs...rather than wants taking preference, I often pass on them....that's life!...and as some marketing department coined said phrase, life is good! :D

Hers a thought. Two rotational sets of CDs. Swap them out every six months.