Linn LP12 Owners & Discussion Thread

Excellent Tase

Now swap cartridges. :)

The Kandid will have a more detail and extension than the smooth operator dyna, abeit less body.

It would be interesting how much of these personalities are retained with the change in tonearms.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

Great stuff there Tase!

--thank you for the insights/tests/etc

Just to ask the Azimuth adjustment for both arms--did you implement any on either?

I gather Ducs has two methods--the Ekos--of if I have read correctly --has none

What is you take on this regarding the sonics of both presentations you concluded

Thank you

Willco

Hey Wilco.

I sent the Linn Keel down to Duc to Have Him mate His Univector to the Keel. He did all the adjustments and kept notes for future reference ( I think ) He did a superb job.

Linn have done all the hard work regarding the Keel/Ekos SE/Kandid. basically it all just bolts together....basically!!!!

OK Ill stick my neck out here.......if the EkosSE/Kandid gives 100% the Univectoer/TKR gives about 85-90%.........and is around $A8k cheaper...

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

Excellent Tase

Now swap cartridges. :)

The Kandid will have a more detail and extension than the smooth operator dyna, abeit less body.

It would be interesting how much of these personalities are retained with the change in tonearms.

That's up next.......should have your platter done soon Shane..

cheers Tony.

• Like 1

Ekos SE/Kandid......V......Univector/Dynavector TKR...

This shoot out has been a long time coming i know,due to myself being in and out of hospital with complications ....however all seems to be good and I am on the road to recovery which will take quite a while....

Both arm/carts are mounted on the 2 pimped Sondeks i fabracated. Both are secured to a Linn Keel. The Ekos SE deck has the Radikal motor and PSU, the Univector/TKR has the Naim Armageddon PSU. This may come across as unfair but the differences or similarity between the 2 when music reproduction is concerned is quite close.......Yeah this kinda shocked Me too!!!

Both carts fed their signals into a Naim Superline/Supercap DR phono stage with a100R + 1nf loading.......probably not optimum for both carts but they performed well with such loading.

various Rotel vintage amps and home brew speakers using Vifa and JBL drivers did the rest.

Albums from Stanley Clarke,Sting,Michael Buble,Rush,INXS,AC/DC,Whitney Houston,Dave Grusin, George Benson and others were used for evaluation....

After giving this some thought I'll present my findings as placed below....

Ekos SE/Kandid.......The CSI...                                                                                                                                                                                          Univector/DV TKR.........Inspector Morse....

If your after a "Smooth operator" this arm/cart combo ain't for you!!!                                                                                                                 Fancy a Pint.....!!

The combo is incredibly fast sounding..."Gung Ho" even, its analytical almost but not narcissistic.                                                         The Univector/TKR is more laid back in its presentation....but don't let put you off!!

The dynamic range that is captured on some vinyl i have played through these two components                                                           This combo is surprisingly "funky" and has its own set of strengths, detail may not be as good as the

is phenomenal and palpable..                                                                                                                                                                    Ekos/Kandid however the treble is less incisive with less vigour but is more relaxed and smoother

My copy of Clapton's "Cocaine" has a snare drum hit 40 secs into the track, with the Ekos SE/Kandid                                                     this brings its own virtues and is very enjoyable to listen too. Vocals are great aswell but as a  

its a "CRACK" just like a drummer hitting the snare right next to you...stunning and real.                                                                       whole this combo kind of struggled with AC/DC and some Rush albums. This I found quite strange

Ditto The Police and "Roxanne" at the start when someone hits the piano and laughs,                                                                         as the Bass seems fuller than the Ekos/Kandid with excellent bass-guitar edge definition and a 

again with this combo you just hear this...you FEEL it!!....there's a re-verb and you can place the piano within the studio walls !!!!        slightly wider sound stage!!! Indeed when I was listing to Micheal Buble, Whitney Houston and vocal

I'll just quickly mention AC/DC and i think you get the picture......those bells on "hells Bells".....Wow!!                                                    orientated work the chose between the 2 combo's would come down to how I felt that day!!!

Just like being at a concert where sitting at the front row might just be a bit to much of a good thing

Vocals are superb too. Detail is Top notch. The treble is incisive and there is excellent instrumental timber. As a whole                      sitting a few rows back gives a better balance overall. I can certainly feel that some would prefer this

the combo portrays what vinyl is capable of regardless as if you are sitting in the front row of a concert. All is very cohesive               Univector/TKR prresentation over the EkosSE/Kandid. There is more "air" overall though the TKR

does need good warm up!!

I'm a lucky bugger I know. The Ekos SE/Kandid is a Supercharged F-Type. Whilst the Univector/TKR is a fully restored E-type V12 road star.Both have strengths and weaknesses and both are immensely enjoyable.

The Univector TKR doesn't have the overall dynamic range and clout of the EkosSE/Kandid this pays dividends with especially with Rock music  .........but the Ekos SE/Kandid lacks the Univector/TKR's smoothness and relaxed appeal that mixes it with a boogie factor!!...Indeed its no slouch with dynamics but the Linn combo just shows the way better in this department....

@@andyr @ @@lovetube

TTFN off to play some more!!! :P  :P

Tase.

thanks T .

great work you have done here . i'm mucking around with similar combo at the moment but with the ZYX cart,

enjoy

Duc

post-109335-0-99883000-1440308725_thumb.

post-109335-0-69355100-1440308739_thumb.

post-109335-0-38319800-1440308751_thumb.

post-109335-0-19012900-1440308769_thumb.

• Like 4

Ekos SE/Kandid......V......Univector/Dynavector TKR...

This shoot out has been a long time coming i know,due to myself being in and out of hospital with complications ....however all seems to be good and I am on the road to recovery which will take quite a while....

Both arm/carts are mounted on the 2 pimped Sondeks i fabracated. Both are secured to a Linn Keel. The Ekos SE deck has the Radikal motor and PSU, the Univector/TKR has the Naim Armageddon PSU. This may come across as unfair but the differences or similarity between the 2 when music reproduction is concerned is quite close.......Yeah this kinda shocked Me too!!!

Both carts fed their signals into a Naim Superline/Supercap DR phono stage with a100R + 1nf loading.......probably not optimum for both carts but they performed well with such loading.

various Rotel vintage amps and home brew speakers using Vifa and JBL drivers did the rest.

Albums from Stanley Clarke,Sting,Michael Buble,Rush,INXS,AC/DC,Whitney Houston,Dave Grusin, George Benson and others were used for evaluation....

After giving this some thought I'll present my findings as placed below....

Ekos SE/Kandid.......The CSI...                                                                                                                                                                                          Univector/DV TKR.........Inspector Morse....

I'm a lucky bugger I know. The Ekos SE/Kandid is a Supercharged F-Type. Whilst the Univector/TKR is a fully restored E-type V12 road star.Both have strengths and weaknesses and both are immensely enjoyable.

The Univector TKR doesn't have the overall dynamic range and clout of the EkosSE/Kandid this pays dividends with especially with Rock music  .........but the Ekos SE/Kandid lacks the Univector/TKR's smoothness and relaxed appeal that mixes it with a boogie factor!!...Indeed its no slouch with dynamics but the Linn combo just shows the way better in this department....

Tase.

Great write-up, Tase ... but I agree with Shane - you need to swap carts on the arms and do a re-comparison.

I have moved on a bit further with my 2-motor SkeletaLinn;  I'm waiting for Steve to make a software change for the chip in the motor-controller ... but that should be happening soon.  In the meantime I have:

• bought a second motor.
  • had Duc turn me a second motor pod.
  • figured out where the 2 motors need to be placed on the TT base (so they are diametrically opposite each other).
  • bought some slightly longer silicon O-ring belts, to enable this pulley placement.  (The pulleys are slightly further away from the spindle but still do not 'foul' the outer platter.)
  • drawn up the dimensions of a new perspex base; I will take this dwg to the plastics place tomorrow so, hopefully, will be able to collect it Monday 31st.  Once I get it, I will be able to post a pic! :thumb:  (I'm not gonna do this with the current, interim chipboard base - coz it looks crap!)

So the 'shootout' is coming closer. :thumb:

Andy

Edited by andyr

thanks T .

great work you have done here . i'm mucking around with similar combo at the moment but with the ZYX cart,

enjoy

Duc

cheers Duc...

must ask though, on the Sondek you posted the arm board gaps look pretty awful. The front left hand side looks like its touching the top plate!!!

Any reason for this??  How is the bounce??  I doubt the deck will be giving off its best the way She is...

Just my 2 pees worth.

Tase.

So the 'shootout' is coming closer. :thumb:

Andy

Andy....

I have at least 2 months post op rest not including the second bout of Chemo I have to go on.....probably will not be happening before the end of the year......but it will happen and be a load of fun.

Cheers Tony.

Andy....

I have at least 2 months post op rest not including the second bout of Chemo I have to go on.....probably will not be happening before the end of the year......but it will happen and be a load of fun.

Cheers Tony.

Been lurking, and just wondered how your health was (like 5 minutes ago)Tony. Hope your recovering and my thoughts are with you on this battle.

• Like 1

Been lurking, and just wondered how your health was (like 5 minutes ago)Tony. Hope your recovering and my thoughts are with you on this battle.

Thanks Luc.

Yes I'm finally on the mend.

Cheers Tony.

P.S.

cant believe you still have the Sondek and ittok for sale at your asking price....bargain IMO!!

Edited by Tasebass

Andy....

Cheers Tony.

And I certainly won't be ready to go till the new year, Tase! :lol:

All the best with the chemo; I hope you get the better of it.

All the best,

Andy

And I certainly won't be ready to go till the new year, Tase! :lol:

All the best with the chemo; I hope you get the better of it.

All the best,

Andy

I have Andy.......this bout of chemo is an insurance policy so to speak...

Incidentally my issues were all surgery related....its some story let me tell ya!!!....everyone including my surgeon were.... :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: what the problem was but we got there in the end..........( f$#ckin scary though!! )

Tase.

I'm listening to The Human Leagues "Dare" album through the Univector/TKR deck as I type this and its just sublime mate..... :thumb:

Thanks Luc.

Yes I'm finally on the mend.

Cheers Tony.

P.S.

cant believe you still have the Sondek and ittok for sale at your asking price....bargain IMO!!

Cant shift it. Off to Flea bay shortly

I agree with Shane - you need to swap carts on the arms and do a re-comparison.

Definitely worth doing, having played with all 4 combinations of Ekos2, EkosSE, Akiva, Kandid.

PS I have a spare 2007 stainless-steel top-plate, 2007 AC motor and Akiva MC for sale---must stop listening and put up proper posts complete with all details.

Edited by warrengday

cheers Duc...

must ask though, on the Sondek you posted the arm board gaps look pretty awful. The front left hand side looks like its touching the top plate!!!

Any reason for this??  How is the bounce??  I doubt the deck will be giving off its best the way She is...

Just my 2 pees worth.

Tase.

good eye sight T .

the first cople photos i did the deck isn't balanced yet . after the balance the gap is fine and normal.

cheers

Duc

I don't know much about Linn TT but if I could have one that looks like this I probably wouldn't care how it sounded, well maybe I would but...

attachicon.gif13887842608_7fcd8503b5_b.jpg

Yes, that's a beaudifull plinth ... but Tase's plinths look fab, too. :thumb:  However, I suggest you would want to replace the Aro arm with a  Univector (from Duc). :D 

This - as well as IMO  sounding better - would give you:

• adjustable cartridge alignment (the Aro only has holes in the headshell - not slots), and
  • adjustable VTA "on the fly".

Regards,

Andy

• Like 2

Yes, that's a beaudifull plinth ... but Tase's plinths look fab, too. :thumb:  However, I suggest you would want to replace the Aro arm with a  Univector (from Duc). :D

This - as well as IMO  sounding better - would give you:

• adjustable cartridge alignment (the Aro only has holes in the headshell - not slots), and
  • adjustable VTA "on the fly".

Regards,

Andy

Yes indeed and Duc's arms have the all important Azimuth adjustment capability

I wouldn't entertain an Arm without it --particularly for todays myriad of Stylii profiles.

Willco

• Like 1

Yes indeed and Duc's arms have the all important Azimuth adjustment capability

I wouldn't entertain an Arm without it --particularly for todays myriad of Stylii profiles.

Willco

Duc's Univector and TKR in action.........Totally agree with Wilco paying attention to the all important set up parameters is vital for performance.....especially when you have spent some coin!!

post-109454-0-76499200-1440468500_thumb.

Tase.

• Like 2

Yes, that's a beaudifull plinth ... but Tase's plinths look fab, too. :thumb:  

Regards,

Andy

@@andyr

Mate if the dollar keeps falling and when I have recovered I might start a business venture...... ;)

Have a few more Ideas....

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

@@andyr @@Tasebass @@Willco

Andy(and you too Tony or Warren or Des if your here), if you take an Ittok off a Linn and your restrained by both budget& accumulated knowledge what would you try out? Keeping in mind your flogging an arm that's about $700 or so(forget the cart for the moment) and your not made of bucks like a lot of Linn owners are.

Your up for a new armboard of some description and some wiring for the arm and then...

Well obviously its cart time after that.

What are you thinking?

And no I'm not remotely interested in the virtues of a skeletal Linn or any other hybrid, just a good ole standard LP12 plinth with ...whatever.

Don't want to get bogged down in detail if that's possible.

Just curious.

Budget has to be the 1K mark or thereabouts and the cart and wiring ...would be another 6 hundred to a K.

what are we looking at here?

Andy(and you too Tony or Warren or Des if your here), if you take an Ittok off a Linn and your restrained by both budget& accumulated knowledge what would you try out? Keeping in mind your flogging an arm that's about $700 or so(forget the cart for the moment) and your not made of bucks like a lot of Linn owners are.

Your up for a new armboard of some description and some wiring for the arm and then...

Well obviously its cart time after that.

What are you thinking?

And no I'm not remotely interested in the virtues of a skeletal Linn or any other hybrid, just a good ole standard LP12 plinth with ...whatever.

Don't want to get bogged down in detail if that's possible.

Just curious.

Budget has to be the 1K mark or thereabouts and the cart and wiring ...would be another 6 hundred to a K.

what are we looking at here?

@@Luc

Will be interested to see the replies. From personal experience, I am more than happy with the Roksan Nima. Pic below.

Also see other views on the Nima on a LP12 here.

IMG_4458.JPG

• Like 1