Linn LP12 Owners & Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

Yes ATBTase.

the Univector is almost the same effective length of the Linn arms . i don't know anything's about the Keel or the Kore Sub chassis so i have no comment on that .

regards

Duc

OK @@lovetube.......time to get serious...

Your Univector arm is "almost" the same effective length as Linn arms which means......it isn't!!!

Therefore to my way of thinking to successfully mount a Univector arm onto a Kore/Keel subchassis you are going to need one setup with a cirkus bearing and inner platter ( no plinth or top plates ) to obtain the correct effective length, then modify the Univector arm as you would feel fit or as needed.

The Kore has the normal 3 point fixing arrangement  with collar, though the Keel is all machined from solid.

Again I think you would have to modify the Univector arm to suit the Keel.....kind of a bespoke affair.

I also think you would need the Keel/ kore in your hands to perform such tasks...

Am I correct in my assumptions??......If so we need to talk......

ATBTase.

Edited by Tasebass

OK @@lovetube.......time to get serious...

Your Univector arm is "almost" the same effective length as Linn arms which means......it isn't!!!

Therefore to my way of thinking to successfully mount a Univector arm onto a Kore/Keel subchassis you are going to need one setup with a cirkus bearing and inner platter ( no plinth or top plates ) to obtain the correct effective length, then modify the Univector arm as you would feel fit or as needed.

The Kore has the normal 3 point fixing arrangement  with collar, though the Keel is all machined from solid.

Again I think you would have to modify the Univector arm to suit the Keel.....kind of a bespoke affair.

I also think you would need the Keel/ kore in your hands to perform such tasks...

Am I correct in my assumptions??......If so we need to talk......

ATBTase.

Hi Tase.

yes you are correct . when I made the Univector , I never intended to be specific to replace the Linn arm in the linn LP12 to be honest . i intended to optimise each of the Univector arms effective lengh to have the best lowest distortion geometry i can . this might explain why the Univector never met the exact Linn arm mounting .

now to your sugesstion and interest , i can then make the Univector to suit the Linn mount either the Keel mount or the Kore and optimise for that .

yes I would need the that chassis to perfom the task . PM me if you're interested on doing so .

regards

Duc

PM sent!!  :)

And why are you going down this path, Tase?  You know damn well that no non-Linn arm can ever sound as good as a Linn arm, on an LP12! :P  :P 

BTW, Duc has already fitted a 9.5" Univector to an LP12 ... but this didn't have a Kore or a Keel.

Andy

PS: BTW, a 12" Univector can be fitted to a 'SkeletaLinn' ... but not an LP12. ;)

And why are you going down this path, Tase?  You know damn well that no non-Linn arm can ever sound as good as a Linn arm, on an LP12! :P  :P

BTW, Duc has already fitted a 9.5" Univector to an LP12 ... but this didn't have a Kore or a Keel.

Andy

PS: BTW, a 12" Univector can be fitted to a 'SkeletaLinn' ... but not an LP12. ;)

hehehehe Andy .

don't shake thing's up :) . don't worry , if it is a Kore or a Keel it can only sound better than the upgraded vintage Linn .

cheers

Duc

• Like 2

Andy

We are sure gonna find out!!!

Like I said before  a Keel/Univector combo could be quite something.......

We are sure gonna find out!!!

Like I said before  a Keel/Univector combo could be quite something.......

You sure are, Tase! :thumb:  It will certainly "be something"!  :D   Just be man enough to post here when you realise it sounds better than the arms you are familiar with. ;)

Andy

You sure are, Tase! :thumb:  It will certainly "be something"!  :D   Just be man enough to post here when you realise it sounds better than the arms you are familiar with. ;)

Andy

Sure will........however its something a little different that I'm after.......

Oh.....and it will be driven by a Radikal!!!! :P  :lol:

Sure will........however its something a little different that I'm after.......

Oh.....and it will be driven by a Radikal!!!! :P  :lol:

C'mon, Tase ... different ... schmifferent!  What you want is something better!  (Whether or not it's driven by a Radikule. :P )

Andy

If I wanted something better I'd eschew the lot, rob a bank, get an Air Force one or something.

Tase. 

Nono ... seriously, Tase ... you can make what you have, sound better.  Just wait and see what Duc can produce. ;)   (Then we can move on from there. :P )

Andy

• Like 1

You probably don't need a subchassis in your hand, just to know what the distance between deck and arm bearings, and the arm bearing diameter.

Not going to take any chances Warren. If Duc has the subchassis in His hands He can make measurements and procedures for future reference methinks!! ;)

ATBTase. 

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 1

Nono ... seriously, Tase ... you can make what you have, sound better.  Just wait and see what Duc can produce. ;)   (Then we can move on from there. :P )

Andy

Andy.....  The Ekos SE on a top spec Sondek is a stonker of an arm. It has an extremely "Youthful character" that ,say, Naim's ARO lacks IMO.

The way the arm can "swing on a sixpence" ( no pun intended ) is beguiling to say the least . It's stop and start ability with notes is stunning too.......indeed I wonder what one might sound like on  your Skeletalinn!!!!

But the ARO has it's own set of qualities that differ from the Ekos SE. Naim don't make the ARO anymore and Duc's Univector seems like a viable alternative.

What I am saying is I want a Gimbal bearing and a Unipivot too.... :thumb:

ATBTase.

Andy.....  The Ekos SE on a top spec Sondek is a stonker of an arm. It has an extremely "Youthful character" that ,say, Naim's ARO lacks IMO.

:D  I've just upgraded to an xdem Ekos SE.  For quick fitting simplicity I've so far gone from Ekos 2/new Kandid cartridge to Ekos SE/old Akiva cart.  So less detail from the older cartridge, but what an arm upgrade, so much solidity in terms of notes planted on a wider stereo stage.  The cartridge is clearly held with much more stability.  Overall it's a bit like going from listening to the record to going to a concert and hearing a half decent tribute band.

The way the arm can "swing on a sixpence" ( no pun intended )

Yeah, we'll believe you.

The way the arm can "swing on a sixpence" is beguiling to say the least . It's stop and start ability with notes is stunning too.......indeed I wonder what one might sound like on  your Skeletalinn!!!!

I'm happy to give it a try.

But the ARO has it's own set of qualities that differ from the Ekos SE. Naim don't make the ARO anymore and Duc's Univector seems like a viable alternative.

AROs do come up second hand very rarely apparently.

When I heard an Aro against the Ekos SE, I thought the Aro was incredibly musical, with perhaps a little lack of precision. It was also very naturally real sounding, and in some ways the Ekos SE wasn't.

Edited by warrengday
  • Like 1

Tony, the Aro was a great UP arm ... for those days.  But it has a severe deficiency IMO - which means I have never been interested in one.  I am confident Duc's 9.5" Univector outclasses it from a musical POV - and it offers what the Aro doesn't ... the ability to move the cart in the headshell, to properly align any cartridge (not just those with the same bolt-hole-to-stylus distance that the old Linn MC which the Aro was designed for, had).

And the Magnepan Unitrac (which I also have on my rig, as well as a 12" Univector) is also a brilliant piece of design.  A shootout between one of those and an Aro - same deck, same cart - would be a very interesting exercise! :D

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

You probably don't need a subchassis in your hand, just to know what the distance between deck and arm bearings, and the arm bearing diameter.

yes that is all i need . but having the sub-chassis and the arm mount for measurement is always better and more precise.

regards

Duc

Edited by lovetube
  • Like 1

And the Magnepan Unitrac (which I also have on my rig, as well as a 12" Univector) is also a brilliant piece of design.  A shootout between one of those and an Aro - same deck, same cart - would be a very interesting exercise! :D

Regards,

Andy

Andy...

Go and have a listen to Warren's EKOS SE'd deck if He is willing...

As you say....in their day Ittok's and ARO's

were great arms but time moves on....

Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

Interesting comment Andy--I sort off agree ha!-- not so much the early arms from Linn -ie the Aro outperformed the ittok---but the latest Ekos SE is excellent--I set one up with the Kandid on a full house LP12 in Cairns for a friend

having owned 5 versions of the LP 12 --in my case the Arm I used and preferred-and still the champ in my book was the Breuer

I must admit not having heard  Duc's Arm--but the kudos gained from reports would definitely make it a strong contender for audition

Good Listening

Willco

As long as you noticed my 'tongue out' emoticons, Willco!

(I posted that comment bcoz Tase is such a Linnie .. yet he was leaning towards straying from the path of righteousness!)

Andy

(I posted that comment bcoz Tase is such a Linnie ..

Andy

Aaahhh!!.....misreading Me again Andy!!! ;)

I'm certainly a "Sondekie" but no full on "Linnie" as say Warren is though would Lurv to hear His system.......

ATBTase.