What in Analogue Have You Bought Today?

4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Another 'show' purchase at the recent record fair. Already own all these but are different pressings so will be interesting to do a comparison between them.

20181015_070843.jpg

Wow, wonder how those APs LPs will sound? the friendly card one is amazing 

15 minutes ago, hlov said:

Wow, wonder how those APs LPs will sound? the friendly card one is amazing 

Have the 200g classic records release of robot so that will be interesting as according to this man was the best version of this album ever until the 2LP moFi came along.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Have the 200g classic records release of robot so that will be interesting as according to this man was the best version of this album ever until the 2LP moFi came along.

Cool, who is this guy? the Amazon owner :) ? fantastic rig. I have the I Robot OZ copy and it sounds very nice 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

TB, I assume you have an Australian 1st pressing of I Robot? If so, how does it's SQ stack up against the 200g 2004 version that this guy raves about? I also notice on Discogs that the 'outstanding' UK 1st pressing (and also the Australian 1st pressing) were mastered by Chris Blair (Abbey Road) but the "muddy" US version is mastered by Ted Jensen (Sterling Sound), making me hopeful the Oz pressing stacks up.?

Edited by stevoz

7 hours ago, stevoz said:

TB, I assume you have an Australian 1st pressing of I Robot? If so, how does it's SQ stack up against the 200g 2004 version that this guy raves about? I also notice on Discogs that the 'outstanding' UK 1st pressing (and also the Australian 1st pressing) were mastered by Chris Blair (Abbey Road) but the "muddy" US version is mastered by Ted Jensen (Sterling Sound), making me hopeful the Oz pressing stacks up.?

Na not anymore. Sold it of after comparing it to the Classic reissue which destroyed it in every way (however it must be said my Oz copy was not mint)

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, stevoz said:

Today at the record fair....the first three were desperate LP 'wants' (all up $45), the fourth was a $5 down to $4 last minute throw in.?

NM US 1st pressing of 'Song For America'......Kansas.?

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/630/cover_24536862016_r.jpg

Ex Aust. 1st pressing of 'The Roaring Silence'.....Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

https://img.discogs.com/D8q5ov7asW8s4jEMEnE8uW8K3ic=/fit-in/596x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5551803-1398659799-1160.jpeg.jpg

VG+ Aust. 1st pressing of 'See Ya Round'......Split Enz.

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/376/MI0002376878.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

.....and the unknown graded but to me looks ok 'After Hours'......LRB.

https://www.rarerecords.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/LITTLE-RIVER-BAND-After-Hours.jpg

Nice way to top off a great day at the HiFi Show.?

Ahh memories. Saw the Earth Bands concert at the Rainbow in78.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2018 at 12:50 PM, hlov said:

Chicago VI, there’s something about UK records, all of them I have sound amazing and the First Steely Dan’s album ;)

361EAFA2-621B-4688-AEAA-E3526CB53F7B.jpeg

FA2A954B-BD4C-4FCA-8933-DA176A004A4F.jpeg

The Chicago double Album is one of the best records I've heard.

21 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Bought this due to Kerrie Biddell and it being Australia’s “first digital album”. Sounds wonderful. $15 at the record fair yesterday. I’m happy with this even though I didn’t have the $125 for Carson’s Blown LP. Damn!

We saw that LP while my brother was looking for Chain LP's and I said to him "that's what you'll be paying if you even find a Chain album!"..... he didn't.? That Carson LP looked in fine condition too.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, wasabijim said:

Alex lathey - I love you like a brother 

Tash Sultana - Flow State

2yg-9tnyqumk9IK5BW8FlBFYIpwwZQ5t6JwfFmX_

Scored Flow State on release and after half a dozen spins rate it as one of the most refreshing debuts I've heard in a long time.

Don't know what that splatter one is you have there, but I got the 45 rpm EUR press and the bass is phenomenal. Highly recommend 

running it through for its first spin just now

JB HiFi "exclusive" 

have to agree, it's really taking me -  her artistry and the pressing, it just put her to the top of my 2018 list. 

dynamics really contrasting the different movements of each track with good clean wax between them. it really makes my vinyl chain shine

Harvest Love - hauntingly reminiscent of Jeff Buckley live, minimal but dripping in effortless tension and emotion

She is pronominal on the guitar, maybe not the most technical but the maturity and ability to take you on the journey is a standout, i.e. not just jamming for the sake it. although there's not much left on the table once you get through Blackbird.

-ixA6pX6vql0ylECnN5GLm0SwaGVGlxtY5ydiOGd

Edited by wasabijim
  • Like 1

this is ridiculous.

i was supposed to pick up 2 copies of this 3 weeks ago. at the time, the agreed price with the retailer was SGD$270 per copy. but it got delayed. then i missed it when it arrive 2 Saturdays ago. i then went down to collect it the following Tuesday. and guess what - the price has shot up to SGD$520 per copy! and i could only buy one...

s-l500.jpg  

OK, the retailer (whom i go out dinner every week) gave me a discount down from SGD$520... (not very much down, but it's a secret)

then the next few days news continued to come in - prices are going up, up, and up.

i think now USD$800 (more than SGD$1000).......

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
5 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

this is ridiculous.

i was supposed to pick up 2 copies of this 3 weeks ago. at the time, the agreed price with the retailer was SGD$270 per copy. but it got delayed. then i missed it when it arrive 2 Saturdays ago. i then went down to collect it the following Tuesday. and guess what - the price has shot up to SGD$520 per copy! and i could only buy one...

s-l500.jpg  

OK, the retailer (whom i go out dinner every week) gave me a discount down from SGD$520... (not very much down, but it's a secret)

then the next few days news continued to come in - prices are going up, up, and up.

i think now USD$800 (more than SGD$1000).......

Why so much?

Big analogue day for me, I upgraded from a Pro-Ject Classic with a Ortofon Blue MM to a Project 2Xperience with a bronze quintet MC cartridge - wow what a difference!  Im using the internal phono stage inside the 340i so had to open up the internals and switch the jumpers for resistance loading/gain/capacitance over to MC. 

Also my original 3LP pressing of Orbital 'Insides' arrived today as well, along with a copy of Arcade Fire's 'The Surburbs' - two of my absolute favourite albums of all time. 

IMG_1818.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mrbrown66 said:

Big analogue day for me, I upgraded from a Pro-Ject Classic with a Ortofon Blue MM to a Project 2Xperience with a bronze quintet MC cartridge - wow what a difference!  Im using the internal phono stage inside the 340i so had to open up the internals and switch the jumpers for resistance loading/gain/capacitance over to MC. 

Also my original 3LP pressing of Orbital 'Insides' arrived today as well, along with a copy of Arcade Fire's 'The Surburbs' - two of my absolute favourite albums of all time. 

IMG_1818.JPG

Nice rig and I know what you mean, I have managed to upgrade to a Thorens TD 160 with Ortofon Black and Yamaha CA 810 and it sounds great but this is a never ending thing, because of your post now I'm keen to get an MC :)

1 minute ago, hlov said:

because of your post now I'm keen to get an MC :)

Its hard to know for sure given all the other changes in this new setup, but the extra detail and more nuanced bass is very noticeable on first listens.  I managed to get a good deal with the Bronze MC bundled so it was a no brainer.   

• Like 1

I just installed a new Idler Wheel made by Audiosilente on my Garrard 401.

To say I am gobsmacked is an understatement.

Rumble gone and platter stability is rock solid. Infact the platter comes up to speed in under a second compared to about 3 seconds with the old wheel.

Very worthy upgrade for any Garrard owners. 

20181018_124842.thumb.jpg.10295f7d87b9422c26f4d62b3ca22d6c.jpg

• Like 2

I just installed a new Idler Wheel made by Audiosilente on my Garrard 401.

To say I am gobsmacked is an understatement.

Rumble gone and platter stability is rock solid. Infact the platter comes up to speed in under a second compared to about 3 seconds with the old wheel.

Very worthy upgrade for any Garrard owners. 

20181018_124842.thumb.jpg.10295f7d87b9422c26f4d62b3ca22d6c.jpg

Very interested. Did you buy it directly from their web site?
I’m a novice, was it hard to install?