Antipodes Owners & Discussion Thread

Craig

Had a look at the DS a few months ago and at that time it was going to cost me extra to add an SSD for the Roon database. Now Mark has added it as standard (believe it's 120Gb) and hence don't have that extra cost. Actually the units may have went up in price but Warwick true to his word hasn't charged me for that as I've part paying for the last 6 months prior to getting it (this is my first time getting something from Warwick at PureMusic and he's been an absolute pleasure to deal with and wouldn't hesitate in highly recommending him). So now the DSS has the SSD, and have put the cost saving into a larger HDD (4Tb). I may not need all of the 4Tb now, but thought I may possibly regret in the future if I don't do the upgrade now. In a few years when SSD costs come down maybe then could look at an upgrade to the GT DS (with SSD), or even a 2nd hand DX.

Would make sense if I can scrape the pennies together and upgrade to a 1000Pro, and if I can do this prior to end of Year then will get the additional Streamer-board next year (no one knows how the streamer board will go, but can't see it making things worse, and if it's a big hit then get this thrown in as part of the 1000Pro upgrade now for nothing).

I've already got a pair of 1.0m & 0.2m Curious Cables (part of deal when getting my ML3's from Mike), and have bought a Regen as part of deal with Martin for his Longdog PSU, so yes already set-up with the Curious's.

I know when I get the DS I won't be able to wait for the burn-in to give it a good listen, but if it sounds good from the start then only better things can happen after that (a bit like my ML3's, which are now 8 months old and should be close to having done enough hours for burn-in).

• Like 1

I have just loaded Tidal (3 months free trial through the Sennheiser cap app) onto my Antipodes DS Reference and after much angst (a convoluted process with Linux) it's now working well. I am looking forward to using Tidal over the next few months before making a final decision. Must say when up and running the Antipodes is hard to beat (IME) compared to PC.

Edited by Nap250
correct typo

I managed to grab a 3 month free coupon for Tidal after my trial period ran out so am waiting until I've more time to listen (due to be laid of soon, so will have plenty of time then).

Thought the integration of Tidal within Roon was 1st class (for me) and really is a +++ for Roon (now if they could only get Spotify onboard that would be the best, but can't see this ever happening).

Nap250, so take it you're still enjoying your DS Ref (and upgraded to Antipodes 2, since you've got Roon onboard), can't wait to get my DS and see (hear) what improvements it adds to the SQ of my D-Premiers (and possibly in the future 1000Pro) :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2016 at 1:27 AM, Celts88 said:

Craig

Had a look at the DS a few months ago and at that time it was going to cost me extra to add an SSD for the Roon database. Now Mark has added it as standard (believe it's 120Gb) and hence don't have that extra cost. Actually the units may have went up in price but Warwick true to his word hasn't charged me for that as I've part paying for the last 6 months prior to getting it (this is my first time getting something from Warwick at PureMusic and he's been an absolute pleasure to deal with and wouldn't hesitate in highly recommending him). So now the DSS has the SSD, and have put the cost saving into a larger HDD (4Tb). I may not need all of the 4Tb now, but thought I may possibly regret in the future if I don't do the upgrade now. In a few years when SSD costs come down maybe then could look at an upgrade to the GT DS (with SSD), or even a 2nd hand DX.

This is interesting to me...since I have a DS with HDD and was wondering about the benefits of swapping to SSD. I was trying to work out how SSD might create benefit if I spend most of my time streaming Tidal and not listening to CDs on the HDD. I guess the small SSD helps buffering, and thus improves the SQ.

On 07/10/2016 at 10:53 PM, Celts88 said:

I managed to grab a 3 month free coupon for Tidal after my trial period ran out so am waiting until I've more time to listen (due to be laid of soon, so will have plenty of time then).

Thought the integration of Tidal within Roon was 1st class (for me) and really is a +++ for Roon (now if they could only get Spotify onboard that would be the best, but can't see this ever happening).

Nap250, so take it you're still enjoying your DS Ref (and upgraded to Antipodes 2, since you've got Roon onboard), can't wait to get my DS and see (hear) what improvements it adds to the SQ of my D-Premiers (and possibly in the future 1000Pro) :)

I'm not running the upgraded DS. Mine is the original version and just using Tidal through the Vortexbox software. It is a major pain in the butt to set up and I spent a more than a few hours. In the end I needed to configure ickstream to get it to work. I would have liked to upgrade but can't really justify the cost. 

4 hours ago, tfj100 said:

This is interesting to me...since I have a DS with HDD and was wondering about the benefits of swapping to SSD. I was trying to work out how SSD might create benefit if I spend most of my time streaming Tidal and not listening to CDs on the HDD. I guess the small SSD helps buffering, and thus improves the SQ.

tfj100

Guess that's one benefit of myself taking a long time to pay off the DS, as now comes standard with small SSD, which appears to have been a 'prompt' from Roon to ensure no issues with playback. As the database is on the SSD this takes care of Roon's recommendations for SSD preference. Wonder how much a difference the small SSD plus HDD is over the older SSD (now the GT takes over the SSD mantle with a better PSU). As the Antipodes sends the music to RAM before being played how much of a 'disadvantage' is the HDD to SQ (discounting the obvious benefit of the GT's new PSU).

Regarding the GT's PSU, hoping my Longdog PSU helps to add similar improvements over the standard PSU brick.

3 hours ago, Nap250 said:

I'm not running the upgraded DS. Mine is the original version and just using Tidal through the Vortexbox software. It is a major pain in the butt to set up and I spent a more than a few hours. In the end I needed to configure ickstream to get it to work. I would have liked to upgrade but can't really justify the cost. 

Nap250

Also another benefit of taking so long time to pay off the DS, as now comes standard with Antipodes 2 software. I've got Roon membership so this is a real bonus being able to play Roon on the Antipodes, and if I want to pay the subscription for Tidal then this will be fully integrated within Roon (Tidal integrates pretty seamlessly.

Edited by Celts88
  • Like 1

I might add my own experiences with the Antipodes DX with a 1 Tb SSD holding the high res music and the rest of my collection on a 6Tb NAS (FLAC standard CD rips). First it is a beautiful thing. Sound, design and backup. More about those later.

Sound is really good. I am comparing it with sound from an Aires Mini and Squeezbox Touch, going into a Classe pre-processor which doubles as the input for multi-channel A/V, into bi-amped Belcanto ref stereo power amps into VAF i66s. I assessed two other streaming/server devices that I borrowed (not wanting to cause any negativity to the providers of those devices so I am not mentioning them) as well. I will not go into great depth on the sound quality apart from saying that this is a level of sound quality, detail and impact that I have hoped for over many years. I enjoy listening to my old music just to hear things I had missed before.

Initially, I had a few technical issues with Roon and the Classe pre-processor. The problems were solved after the people at Antipodes provided diagnostic information to Roon. It was resolved in the next Roon update. I was impressed with the way Antipodes approached my problem and worked through it methodically. The problem was esoteric and highly likely to be an interaction with the Classe USB port.

Apart from that technical problem and the LONG time it took for Roon to index and "organise" my collection the installation was remarkably simple for a piece of technology. So close to turn it on and play music that I almost thought something was wrong ... So Roon has its problems. It has its strengths too. It works with the DX to present music very conveniently and with high quality. I do not use much of its discovery or streaming from services like Tidal. I cancelled the Tidal after the free usage period. I have a little over 2100 albums in my collection and there was not a lot I needed to listen to streamed.

The real problem that caused me to spend a lot of time was the way Roon decided to insert its own metadata overriding the well managed metadata I already had on my FLAC files. For instance, they decided that the Melbourne 1970s group Cybotron was from Northern USA and put their albums under that artist. Spectrum was not recognised and the albums mucked up by putting them under individual musician's names. Classical music collections were incorrectly identified and covers incorrectly chosen even when I had the correct ones included in the folder structure for the albums. Anyway I had a great deal of "fun" (not) reverting the metadata to my original and learning how to get the albums to restructure under the correct artist name. Once sorted out, everything is good.

I was told it would take 50-100 hours operation for the sound to reach its peak. This was absolutely correct. You notice it improve in little increments and the sound was genuinely significantly better after leaving the DX permanently on for a month. I often think the sound improves after the DX has been on (from standby) for an hour or two as well. It is hard to be sure but it seems that way.

Structuring my music the way I have put some 600Mb of high res music on the SSD where IMHO, it sounds better than from the NAS. Worthwhile improvement but not startlingly so. I have kept all my music on the NAS which ensures that all the music is backed up and on a RAID 5 array. It took so long to transfer the CDs and vinyl to digital format that I need to protect that work. Also the downloads from HD Tracks etc (when they allowed it) need to be kept very safe. I am still wondering about the legalities around ownership of the file downloads if I ever sold my collection but downloads are where you get the high resolution music. Copying the high res music to the SSD means that there are duplicates in Roon and I had to hid the ones on the NAS so that I play the SSD copy - another time consuming task but worth while in the end. I have suggested that Roon might build in some automation for handling this task - and to allow a global override to the metadata source to NOT prefer Roon for those of us anal retentive enough to get our metadata right.

Last thing. I think I now listen to more music than I have ever listened to in my life. It is certainly better than watching electioneering and I can read a book at the same time (but it can be hard to read too long because something in the music keeps catching my attention).

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

The DX Gen 3 was launched 6th October '17

Running a V4 platform - details of which are rather vague.

"The introduction of the Antipodes V4 platforms is the most significant technology event in our 13 year history. "

"Full details of what is included in the upgrade, the process, additional options and pricing will be available close to the time that the upgrades become available."

Antipodes V4 platform upgrades starting in October '17 (?)

Details of my first gen DX upgrade not yet announced but expected to be sometime in Nov.

Does anyone have any information to share?

Hello Antipodes owners.  

At the recent hifi show I listened for an hour to the Active Kii 3 speakers.  The music source was the Antipodes media server via USB to the Kii Controller/preamp.  I presume it was a current model but didn't look.

My home system is basically a DIY Antipodes of sorts.

System - CAPS (Lagoon - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with AudiophileOptimizer v2.20 beta 5 in Ultimate Core mode - 128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) - Synology NAS DS411 Slim - JRiver 18 - Elijah Quad Braid Mk4 USB Cable (Aqvox Low Noise Power Supply at each end of cable) - into Mutec MC 3+ USB - Lifatec Glass Optical Cable into JLTi Oppo 105D (Level 4 Upgrade)

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/computer-audiophile-pocket-server-c-a-p-s-v3-lagoon/

My question is -  Has anyone compared what the Antipodes does vs a Similar set up to my DIY version.

Now my system wasn't easy to put together and took some perseverance and persistence to build for a relative PC novice.   But now I have had it for about 3 years I am comfortable with tinkering with the setup.   I will be the first to admit it is not for those lacking some computer skills and it does take some occasional tweaking to maintain.

Obviously Antipodes is a slick, just push play, component of high regard.     Can anyone suggest if the Antipodes component package could/would/should provide a better level of SQ than my current set up.     I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but I am curious to know if an A/B comparison has been made.    No doubt my Lagoon PC and NAS could be improved with improved external Power supplies but that is in the future. 

If anyone in Melbourne owns an Antipodes and wants to have a GTG to pit it against my DIY set up I would be interested.     The issue though is my JRiver may probably require driver installation for whatever DAC it is plugged into unless I use my Modded Oppo 105.   

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

Not a real answer but when I was in that room the Gauders were hooked up and the PMG boys were alternating between digital and vinyl - which was cool in itself. I assume the vinyl rig was decent. I felt that Antipodes well and truly kept up with the vinyl and was a great example of how good digital audio can be. I was captivated by the sound and put it down to the speakers but I guess you heard the same thing on the Kiis.

• 3 weeks later...

Antipodes Edge as Roon endpoint/Renderer

Shopping for a renderer. Looking at the the Edge, the Sonore units - the Ultra Rendu and Signature SE, and the Innuos Zenith MKII. 

Has anyone heard any of these used as a renderer and especially has anyone compared them to any other quality renderers? I don't have any practical way of doing comparisons.

• 2 months later...

DX Gen3 Upgrade

I had a power failure in mid-November when my Antipodes DX was on and working.  Afterwards it did not boot up and it ultimately ended up back in NZ for a fix.  It came back and still did not boot up for me so it went back to NZ again in January.  Whilst it was there and fortuitously timing wise I was offered and agreed to an upgrade to the V4X circuit to become the DX Gen3 Upgrade model.

It is now back and working.  I have only listened to it briefly this afternoon.  I have not yet connected my Intona or the Berkeley Alpha USB converter or tried Roon DSP.  My initial impression is that the sound stage is more three dimensional.  The front to back separation especially is more noticeable.  The sound is smoother and possibly there is more emphasis on the higher frequencies.  There is overall more musical life in the sound.  Rather nice actually.

My DAC is a very serious SACD/CD player as well as a DAC.  Previously playing a CD seemed to be a tad better than the DAC side.  Now it will be interesting to compare the two.

I have been listening to my system to files from a NAS for the past three months.  Previously I thought that the difference between the NAS and the DX was not significant.  Now with just the USB connection the difference is very pleasing. I have to say that based upon things said in a couple of threads lately there may be an aspect of bias in my perceptions.  Nevertheless, I am very happy with the outcome.

Using a tablet to control Roon was frustratingly problematic sometimes and slow prior to the upgrade.  Now it seems to be very solid and fast.  This is a benefit of the upgrade for me.  I just have to learn to drive and navigate  Roon again especially as there have been some changes since I last used it.

John

Hi John - thanks for posting your experiences. I am fortunate to be running and Edge and I mostly use it as a streamer running Roon and loading titles from Tidal. I haven't done a lot of A/B testing recently, but the sound is very musical. I think my record player still can sound better but also with a smoother approach to detail, which provides a tradeoff since I like a sharp and detailed presentation. My impression is that the Edge is as good as anything in the bottom-middle end of the range.

Good to hear you are getting some positive experiences and an improvement with the upgrade...upgrading is dangerous!

Edited by tfj100

21 hours ago, tfj100 said:

upgrading is dangerous!

@tfj100

For me upgrading has not been dangerous and has on a cost Vs performance outcome been a definite positive. 

To me well executed upgrades can be beneficial.  I have undertaken a few upgrades of equipment.  Each has resulted in a beneficial improvement outcome in SQ.  Recently by pass capacitors were added to the crossovers of my speakers.  Fantastic result.

I once owned a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC that was then upgraded to a DS DAC.  Each new version of the the OS for the DS is an upgrade that the majority of owner’s report is better than the one before.  I sold my DS and have not had the pleasure of hearing the last two versions of the OS.

With the Antipodes DX this is the second upgrade since new and I have been very pleased with the outcome each time.

To me companies that have upgrade paths should be supported.   It means that the equipment remains up to date.  Plus, the cost of the upgrade is probably cheaper than the difference of the loss on the obsolete model and the cost of the new model.

John

Edited by Assisi
word deleted
  • Like 1

Further to my previous post about the DX3. 

I have played the Antipodes DX3 for 10/12 hours over the last two days.  I could repeat a four letter word a few times to sum up my impression. At this time, it is all about the sound stage.  The sound stage is incredible in terms of the holistic impression and the precision of the placement of the instruments and voices.  You could put a knife between every detail.  I am not sure that there is any more detail than before.  It is just that the separation enables each aspect of the detail to be more individually discernible.   It is all in the presentation.  Overall it is addictively wonderful and engaging.  It doesn’t matter where you sit.  The mental visual image of the sound  stage is just incredible.

I still haven't added the Intona or the Berkeley Alpha to the equation yet.  To me pleasure delayed is pleasure enhanced.  I use ROON and I haven't yet tried any DSP features.  As well on the Antipodes it says that there is an extended settling in period.  So who knows where this will end.  Nevertheless at this time it shows to me how critical is the source in the grand scheme.  This upgrade investment for me is worth very cent.

John

• 8 months later...

Hi all.  Through following research breadcrumbs I have gone through Auralic Aries G1, to Lumin U1 Mini, to Aurender N100H, and now as a result of that have arrived at the door of the Antipodes EX.

I am currently running from Netgear NAS (~50,000 files) to [streamer] to Chord Hugo TT and on to integrated amp. etc.

Some questions for those with their head in the Antipodes space:

• Looks like Antipodes a little more complex to set up than Aurender - what is the experience and why do you think it is worth it?
  • has anybody had meaningful experience with the Antipodes EX yet, and if yes, what are your thoughts ?
  • Antipodes support - Aurender is well regarded....what has been user experience in the Antipodes camp?
  • MQA - I am not a Roon user....but just in case in absence of Roon does that mean Antipodes is MQAless?  Does use of Roon in the EX provide the MQA decoding? (that question will probably appear appropriately naive as i have largely avoided Roon due to $ and i don't stream from other sources)

Thanks muchly for those who can help 

Edited by Dilettanteque

hi there Dilettanteque,

It sounds like an interesting journey - have you auditioned an EX?

I have a Antipodes Edge, which is the predecessor to the Edge. Mark Jenkins claims a big SQ improvement, and in the past, I have been able to trust what he says when he makes these claims, however I don't currently have the time or money to trade-up. In fact, I am looking for a Core instead to add to my system as they sound better when you split the functions between Edge and Core. I will try and answer your questions as best as I can:

• Looks like Antipodes a little more complex to set up than Aurender - what is the experience and why do you think it is worth it? I haven't heard an Aurender, so I can't comment, but I have always felt that Antipodes rank amongst the best SQ out of the digital brigade. Only thing is that I am now almost exclusively streaming, and I wonder if that makes less difference compared to competitors.
  • has anybody had meaningful experience with the Antipodes EX yet, and if yes, what are your thoughts ? I'm happy with my Edge, it is very musical...however I am certain that it can get better again. An EX would be nice
  • Antipodes support - Aurender is well regarded....what has been user experience in the Antipodes camp? Top drawer. Always available when you need it, always obliging and so far, always successful. In regards to the hardware, one of my earlier units developed a fault and it was immediately replaced, no questions asked. 
  • MQA - I am not a Roon user....but just in case in absence of Roon does that mean Antipodes is MQAless?  Does use of Roon in the EX provide the MQA decoding? (that question will probably appear appropriately naive as i have largely avoided Roon due to $ and i don't stream from other sources). I use Roon, so not sure about what happens without it. It is a pretty good interface. I'm not that much of an MQA addicianado - my DAC doesn't handle it natively. Does yours? Reminds me of my TV not handling 4K...
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Looks like Antipodes a little more complex to set up than Aurender - what is the experience and why do you think it is worth it?

The Antipodes DX is the only server I have ever had so I cannot reflect on the the setup complexity compared to any other server.  I have had minor operational matters from time to time.  That is more to do with my lack of understanding of how tings should work.  Overall the unit is very stable and works exceptionally well with no fuss or bother.  

has anybody had meaningful experience with the Antipodes EX yet, and if yes, what are your thoughts ?

I have briefly heard a CX and EX together.  I am contemplating a step up as funds permit.

Antipodes support - Aurender is well regarded....what has been user experience in the Antipodes camp?

The service and support of Antipodes is exemplary. I would be surprised if there is another audio company that is their equal.  The Australian agents are also very supportive.  My unit has been upgraded twice as part of the ongoing support albeit there has been a price.  Much cheaper than a new unit though.

When I have had operational difficulties which relates to point one above the response and solution from Antipodes support has been almost immediate.  Tony must never sleep

MQA - I am not a Roon user

I am not a MQA user and I am not overly interested in becoming so.  I predominately use ROON and sometimes Bubble. 

The performance of ones system starts with the source which for me significantly is power and the treatment thereof.  After that it is the Server.  For me in relative terms I consider that the performance of my system is seriously good.  The Antipodes is a significant contributor to the performance.

John

• Like 1

Thank you @tfj100 and @Assisi  so much for your inputs and responsiveness.  

No, I have not auditioned an Antipodes product yet (I appear to be in the wrong city).  I may get to hear an Aurender next week but I think the subtleties of testing this kind of product in a context that does not include my set up or room acoustics will be kind of pointless (apart from assuring it sounds good). I sense I will be making choice on specs, slim availability of reviews (well, at least for EX as the N100H/C is comparatively well covered), $ and the kind contributiosn of SNAers

23 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

Hi all.  Through following research breadcrumbs I have gone through Auralic Aries G1, to Lumin U1 Mini, to Aurender N100H, and now as a result of that have arrived at the door of the Antipodes EX.

....snip

• MQA - I am not a Roon user....but just in case in absence of Roon does that mean Antipodes is MQAless?  Does use of Roon in the EX provide the MQA decoding? (that question will probably appear appropriately naive as i have largely avoided Roon due to $ and i don't stream from other sources)

Thanks muchly for those who can help 

Dilletanteque, for MQA playback from an Antipodes server you either need to use the Roon Server software, which can MQA-decode, on the Antipodes or connect the Antipodes to a DAC that is MQA-capable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I haven't posted for a while, but time for an update. I have been using an Antipodes Edge for the last couple of years and been very pleased with its musicality. I managed to get a long demo of a CX/EX when I was in NZ recently and I can report that it is Absolutely Amazing!

This review popped up recently and I can say that from my experience, it seems very accurate:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/antipodes-cx-ex-part1/

Conclusion is: 

"The EX is a great Music Server and an even better Renderer. Just the same, the CX is an amazing Server. But when combined, the two perform at an unprecedented level. All the qualities of the EX remain present but are enhanced with the qualities of the CX and then taken to an even stellar level.

There comes a time when a reviewer just lacks the superlatives to describe the latest experience and for me, this is it. How do I describe the CX+EX delivery if I have already used all the superlatives that I can think of for earlier reviews? This combination is, quite simply, the very best digital front end that I have heard."

My experience is that it was clearly better than my Edge...it has a much more analogue feel to it, with smoother mids and uppers and punchier lows. Much more air around the instruments and voices, and much better imaging. 

Pricing is a bit higher as well - I would guess that there would be a lot of high-end vinyl junkies who would move to digital if the quality was the same as their vinyl rig, and if you are Antipodes Audio, you may as well aim for being the best in the market (or maybe retaining you position as best in the market) to pick up all those consumers.

Has anybody on this thread been upgrading recently?

Torben

• Like 1