Combined Music / Cinema Room

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Martykt said:

I'm almost surprised you haven't been tempted over to the warm glowy side.

I don't like distortion ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Still using the Triangle Art Carts?

Yes but only as I haven't got around to advertising/selling yet.

Will be upgrading to a Lyta Etna soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marc said:

Those with a keen eye might remember the K2 were previously woodgrain (rosenut) finish.

Shown now in their new clothes.

They do look good in their shiny new clothes Marc. :thumb: 

It looks like you're going for a monochrome colour scheme now (except for the yellow power cables of course).  Are you thinking of adding a little colour later or is that the theme you're going for?

BTW I still want to be convinced by you on just how good these K2s can be !! :D 

Guest Eggcup The Daft
12 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

You're missing a big screen!?

Ceiling mounted projector screen in the "up" position, by the look of it.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Martykt said:

They do look good in their shiny new clothes Marc. :thumb: 

It looks like you're going for a monochrome colour scheme now (except for the yellow power cables of course).  Are you thinking of adding a little colour later or is that the theme you're going for?

BTW I still want to be convinced by you on just how good these K2s can be !! :D 

Until a fortnight ago, I hadn't heard the K2s at their best myself. Room positioning is key and I completely overlooked all that I have learned about rear-firing ports. Having such a capable (output) high end is useless without the reinforcement of the bottom end and I'm afraid I just hadn't been doing the K2s justice.

Very happy with what I am getting out of them now though. I think even Warwick Freemantle was impressed when he heard the last week.

4 hours ago, yamaha_man said:

Your room is sounding (and looking) superb Marc, credit to you.

Thanks Joe. You've heard plenty of good systems so I do take that as a compliment.

37 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

You're missing a big screen!?

Motorised 100". Though a fixed screen might make its way in soon, with motorised acoustic panels instead of a motorised screen. Toying with ideas now.

36 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Is that a JBL K2 centre channel?

No. JBL don't make a matching centre channel technically. The JBL Array 880 is the best match I could find (without going custom install range) but it's well and truly up to the task. As it only comes in a gloss black timber grain finish, I also had this vinyl wrapped to match the K2s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Until a fortnight ago, I hadn't heard the K2s at their best myself. Room positioning is key and I completely overlooked all that I have learned about rear-firing ports. Having such a capable (output) high end is useless without the reinforcement of the bottom end and I'm afraid I just hadn't been doing the K2s justice.

It appears you have them a lot closer to the back wall than you usually have speakers.

Knowing how much work you've put in I reckon they would be well worth hearing.

It's a valuable lesson for anyone reading that learning and putting in the extra effort pays dividends in this game.

Your room has to be considered a prime example of this, makes me wonder where I can get more out of my system and room !! :thumb: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Thanks @Martykt

Now I have the positioning from wall to speaker correct, I'm still tweaking with width and toe.

It's a slow process with just one person and I measure the positioning to within 10mm of one another to ensure they are correct.

I also have these handy Kralk Kalsu lasers which help the process a little.

• Like 2

• Administrator

They're improving every single day @mtf. They haven't been here long and only get use in between other amps that are coming and going.

I purchased these after hearing them at @sonic_purity - but also after seeing them feature in the rooms of loudspeaker manufacturers at shows around the world more and more.

So far they appear very versatile with an array of varying demand speakers, with stacks of control and of course musical finesse and detail.

Now that they're getting close to 100 hours on them I'll soon sit down for a day with my usual playlists and see what they're truly capable of.

I tend not to judge too much at these early stages.

Cheers for that  @Marc

I have the PAM with the EPX and it is such a fantastic combo.

There was such a significant improvement with over 100 hours of them being left on, I was truly amazed and delighted at the amount of change that occurred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The room as it is today. Getting very close to not wanting / needing to make any changes now. Very, very pleased and I've found the elusive 'Synergy' I've been hunting for years ever.

DSCF5961.jpg

DSCF5972.JPG

DSCF5964.jpg

DSCF5965.jpg

DSCF5972.jpg

DSCF5979.jpg

DSCF5985.jpg

DSCF5989.jpg

DSCF5995.jpg

DSCF5997.jpg

DSCF5999.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
I wouldn’t even need to turn it on to enjoy it . . . looks sensational . . . can only imagine it sounds even better.
Think we have progressed even further if possible - time for an update@Marc [emoji6]
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

And just like that - the K2s are gone and have taken residence at another StereoNET members home to enjoy.

And somewhere between Singapore and Melbourne at the moment, these are on a slow boat. These are my endgame ... please remind me of this post if you ever see them posted for sale on here!!!

image.png

• Like 6

Brilliant stuff - congrats Marc. To think I've been admiring your "system progress" from a distance for two decades now: CAA to SNA. What a journey you've been on my good man! 

Can't wait to see the Everest's in situ, and if possible, even hear that incredible system one day.

I can make-out most of the components in the picture but am curious as to the brand of interconnects and speaker cabling you've got in place, and lastly whether or not you've deployed any power-conditioning? 

Finally, what's your ratio split by way of vinyl vs digital playback these days? 

• Like 1

• Administrator

Last pic before I packed up the K2s for their journey to the new owner.

L1000242-2.jpg

Thanks GS. It has been a journey of discovery that's for sure. I've learned an awful lot about diminishing returns too!

The components have changed since the last updates which you can see in the pics below. Cables have been Tellurium Q and Analysis Plus. I'm currently trialing Transparent also, which I'm likely going to commit to as with the JBL's, silver seems to bring out an abrasiveness that I can't tame. On regular speakers (not horns), the TQ brings out a ridiculous amount of detail that is absolutely stunning, but not so with horns.

I did try power conditioning and it killed all life. As you can see from early on in my build thread, I ran dedicated circuits and special power cable (whether that helps or not I don't know as I had nothing to compare with previously), and at my rack I simply use a Gigawatt distribution board. Power cables are all my own build - nothing special just some Belden cable, Furutech and Clipsal plugs.

As for 2-Channel/Cinema - with a young family now that split is probably 60/40 favoring Cinema. As for Vinyl/Digital, that's probably 80/20 favoring digital just for convenience. Vinyl still gets the nod for best sound quality and engagement though.

The new rack was designed and built by my father and I only a few months ago. It's been powdercoated and finished with Isoacoustics and Caeserstone shelves.

L1000499.jpg

L1000501.jpg

L1000502.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 1