Process to build music room attached to current dwelling

Hi folks,

I am dreaming to build a  new audio room , ideally 5x8m with 3-4m height ceiling. My current  floor plan does not offer this, i need to extend my current house to do this. Which options in NSW I can achieve this on a budget without too much hassle in approval process.

1) hire architecture to draw extension and submit to coucil for approval, get a builder to quote build cost later

2) get a Granny flat builder to have second dwelling 

3) build some sort of retreat studio (no human lives in) wihout complex regulation need.

what realistic cost should I prepare to make this happens?

Also if you know some builders/companies who did similar jobs, please share me, of course they have a bit more knowledge in audio room construction and treatment vs regular builders

any idea or experience are appreciated,

thanks,

Edited by ikhuong

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, almikel said:

If all done by an external contractor - ballpark $30-$50K if done to regulations

Thanks Mike, are you saying just paperwork/design/approval process?

If so, it is very steep, considering build cost is another 50-100k 

Edited by ikhuong

• 3 weeks later...

Ron from New Record Day (YouTube) did something similar at his place in the US.

It may help with ideas, to help you to get ready to approach some builders for estimates/quotes?

On 27/03/2024 at 10:43 PM, almikel said:

Build cost for a room $50-100K?

Things have clearly gone nuts - ignore my post!

Mike

Doing similar ATM, building a granny flat out the back (as part of a major renovation of this place), 9 x 5m and your estimate is correct for a new build with new materials/full approval. Luckily it may be done considerably cheaper if salvaged materials are employed, particularly structure, takes time and know how though. 

Cheers

To the OP, good luck with the job. 

Yes it can be cheaper in a lot of ways  to achieve, identifying the new space being planned as non habitable (my plan). Double glazing, vapor brake and insulation will be the minimum for anything better than a tin shed however. 

• Like 1