Combined Music / Cinema Room

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

This thread is so out of date it's not funny. There's been so many changes to the system since the last update. At least now, in the B&W's place are my own JBL 4367s which have been a lot of fun.

But right now, below is the best sounding speaker that has graced this room. So much so, I'm really, really, going to have a hard time letting these leave :(

After what I've read of feedback from this speaker at shows, it's obvious from photos the rooms they have been exhibited in have been way too small. What a glorious speaker!

_DSC0743.jpg

_DSC0739.jpg

• Like 7

Nice room and photos Marc, I always wanted to hear those Meridian flagship active DSP'd speakers ...sounds like they live up to their reputation.

Are these the limited edition DSP8000 model @ $65K USD?

Steve. 

Edited by Steve M

• Administrator

DSP8000se, around $100K locally.

10 minutes ago, Newman said:

Well... in that case, maybe I had better not write up my report on them in the Oct Melb Show thread. :unsure:

My room is almost too small for them, and I have serious Bass Traps & Treatment, I don't know WTF they were thinking displaying them at the Melbourne show in that room. It would have done them no justice, and honestly, probably did more harm than good.

The thought has crossed my mind how I could finance such speakers. They're that good. Easily the best in my room and among the best I've ever heard.
Maybe an experience that comes close, but still a different system again, is the Kharma system at Munich - but that was well over $500K from memory, perhaps closer to $1M.

• Like 1

This thread is so out of date it's not funny. There's been so many changes to the system since the last update. At least now, in the B&W's place are my own JBL 4367s which have been a lot of fun.

But right now, below is the best sounding speaker that has graced this room. So much so, I'm really, really, going to have a hard time letting these leave [emoji20]

After what I've read of feedback from this speaker at shows, it's obvious from photos the rooms they have been exhibited in have been way too small. What a glorious speaker!

>Can

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

^^ ??

Something very strange going on - can see my typed words in edit but not there !

Unable to edit either.

Must be a censorship bug imposed on me ! :unsure:

I will repeat : Must be a Closed invite room now ! :(

Not surprised with the Meridians, have been a long time fan from my youth, ( yes pre Transistors :P),

Have had a fair bit of Meridian gear taking up residency here - can't anticipate ever getting rid of my current Meridian CDP..

Superb analog quality sound.

Edited by evil c
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Woo hoo!

:sarc:

Edited by Luc

3 hours ago, evil c said:

Something very strange going on - can see my typed words in edit but not there !

Unable to edit either.

Not surprised with the Meridians, have been a long time fan from my youth, ( yes pre Transistors :P),

Have had a fair bit of Meridian gear taking up residency here - can't anticipate ever getting rid of my current Meridian CDP..

Superb analog quality sound.

Wish you were closer Evie, I could drop around with the 808.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

Meridian do sound 'right', in my short but very sweet experience.

The company manages to make components that make a sound that is balanced perfectly.

A shame that they have not had an importer, until now. ;)

They did have an importer /distributor back in the 80's. I worked for him at the time, for about 5 years, but after he retired the brand virtually disappeared from these shores. it's nice to see it return and grace more listening rooms. I have many fond memories, particularly related to the early active speakers and I sold a pair to someone who wandered into the shop, whom nobody else would serve....................but that's a story for another day

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rantan said:

They did have an importer /distributor back in the 80's. I worked for him at the time, for about 5 years, but after he retired the brand virtually disappeared from these shores. it's nice to see it return and grace more listening rooms. I have many fond memories, particularly related to the early active speakers and I sold a pair to someone who wandered into the shop, whom nobody else would serve....................but that's a story for another day

definitely in the 80s, but I remember them in the 90s as well. am sure tivoli used to stock the brand. remember them demoing at one of the hifi shows back then. secher audio here used to stock it too. but slowly the brand disappeared ...

glad its back though and getting some attention :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rantan said:

The importer at that time was mike Bartlett and then audio works took over the agency and then they merged their business with amber technology and that's when it became a non event.

Just now, guru said:

The importer at that time was mike Bartlett and then audio works took over the agency and then they merged their business with amber technology and that's when it became a non event.

Yep. I worked for Mike for about 5 years . As you would know he had the shop at Drummoyne and imported Rogers, Heybrook and Monitor Audio as well

Happy days.

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

Yep. I worked for Mike for about 5 years . As you would know he had the shop at Drummoyne and imported Rogers, Heybrook and Monitor Audio as well

Happy days.

I remember him well as I worked for ceto at the time he purchased the building in Drummoyne when mike retired. Audio works ran the import business out of the offices upstairs and took over most of mikes lines except for heybrook from memory. I bought my first pair of ls3/5a speakers from them, a custom pair of rosewood veneer units, wish I still had them but ended up selling them to Lee kernaghan.

I also remember when Ceto had the shop at Pymble and I lusted after the Audio Research amps that I couldn't possibly afford, but being the gentleman that he was Ceto never denied or begrudged a decent demo:)

Just now, rantan said:

I also remember when Ceto had the shop at Pymble and I lusted after the Audio Research amps that I couldn't possibly afford, but being the gentleman that he was Ceto never denied or begrudged a decent demo:)

I used to work Sundays at pymble and worked full time when he moved to Drummoyne. I owned a few audio research pieces, d70 and sp11. Ran those ls3/5a's with an acoustic research etl-1 turntable, grado signature tonearm and a koetsu black goldline cartridge. Simple days but great sound.

11 hours ago, :) al said:

definitely in the 80s, but I remember them in the 90s as well. am sure tivoli used to stock the brand.

Yes they did. I bought a few bits from Tivoli in the early 2000s. @guru I actually thought the Ambertech years with David Small were very strong, especially the support techs, but it fell off after he retired. I think Meridian were happy to let it drop through, they were working on their marketing strategy and were moving away from head to head hifi store comparisons into installer HT fitouts and dedicated shops.

If anyone wants to check out the DSP8000s, I have a pair. I have to disagree with @Marc in that they scale into smaller rooms beautifully - I had to have it proved to me though before I bought. Bob Stuart, the brains behind Meridian, was once asked the best Meridian speaker for a phonebox. He said 8000s.

• Like 1

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

If anyone wants to check out the DSP8000s, I have a pair. I have to disagree with @Marc in that they scale into smaller rooms beautifully - I had to have it proved to me though before I bought. Bob Stuart, the brains behind Meridian, was once asked the best Meridian speaker for a phonebox. He said 8000s.

That comment was only based on reports I had read about their sound at recent shows. I can only put it down to the size of the room.

There is loads and loads of bass output from the DSP8000SE, I imagine they would load up a small room very quickly. Good thing we have a volume control :)

Out of interest @Mr_Gimlet, do you have any forms of room treatments?

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

do you have any forms of room treatments?

I use Meridian's MRC on my 861v6 and have put a lot of effort into it (though not as much as @Keith_W with his Acourate). I agree dropping them into a small unfamiliar room won't be great.

@Marc what sources are you/ were you using with them?