A surfeit of tuner riches

Ok I will change the as yet unanswered question

Well no I won't i will just turn it on its head and litter it with personal examples.

I once had a tuner addiction I've whittled it down to about 5 all am fm

Accuphase !7

Amber 7

Sansui 417

Hitachi 5500 mark11

Kenwood 30 xxx!

Am I going to get any substantially improved SQ by moving to 1 of the 3 FM only tuners in the classifieds?

It's a long time since I've compared tuners. I remember going in Soundcraftsman in Caulfield many many years ago with the plan of buying a $200 Yamaha tuner. It sounded terrible so I started moving up the range. I was about to buy the top of the Yamaha range until I heard the Tandberg. I can't remember what Yamaha model it was though. It's my longest lasting component, everything else in my system has been replaced at least once, it holds its own against the rest of my sources. Other tuners could be better, I don't mind or care really.

Tandberg has a tuning knob but it hasn't moved in over 20 years, Its set to 3RRR.

I bought my Yammie T2 from Soundcraftsman.  Its also where I compared the Tandberg.  Spent 3 years wages there on the upgrade journey.  I still have the LP12/ittok combo that I purchased brand new.  Greame the owner gave some great trade in prices thats why I kept going back.  Then I discovered DIY and I a kid was in the oven, the rest is history.

BTW: Both you guys (georgehifi and pchan) should listen to a Denon TU1500 or TU1510 sometime. Cheap, cheerful and blows away most vintage tuners (including the Yammy T2 - and I own a T2 and a T7). Best of all, the Denons have a tuning knob. Gotta love that.

Ive given up listening to Tuners, all the FM listening I do these days is in the car.

I've accumulated a few decent tuners:

• Audiolab 8000T
  • Meridian 504
  • Kenwood KT-5020
  • Accuphase T-101

I tend to cycle through them. I'm using the Kenwood KT-5020 at the moment. Little shy in the bass, but incredibly quiet with a good signal and great mid range and treble. Voices on ABC Classic FM sound just right.

Dedicated external FM antenna makes a huge difference as well.

Regards, David.

It's a long time since I've compared tuners. I remember going in Soundcraftsman in Caulfield many many years ago with the plan of buying a $200 Yamaha tuner. It sounded terrible so I started moving up the range. I was about to buy the top of the Yamaha range until I heard the Tandberg. I can't remember what Yamaha model it was though. It's my longest lasting component, everything else in my system has been replaced at least once, it holds its own against the rest of my sources. Other tuners could be better, I don't mind or care really.

Tandberg has a tuning knob but it hasn't moved in over 20 years, Its set to 3RRR.

What will you tune it too when you move up to Upper Kumbuckta West?

Don't see many kenwood tuners in OZ

My kenwood has similar 4 digit # but it's with family a fine tuner in stock form

The Hitachi is my best

But Sansui probably most used this year

@ quieter now ;)

Cyclical maintenance of Ageing machinery

had a small operation yesterday arvo and was still high on anesthetic

Yes I went home on the train :)

Have I offended anyone other than you?

Edited by djb

I also have a from what I gather a fairly rare again FM only Kenwood KT-3300D, it has A & B arial inputs also. said the be the best sounding PPL tuner Kenwood has made, it sounds a bit like the Yamaha T2.

It gives the Tandberg 3001 a good run, but with the tweaks I've done to the Tandberg, better coupling caps and better output opamp it's so much richer and full bodied sounding.

But I must say as good as they are I hardly listen to these tuners anymore they sit around collecting dust, one day I'll get around to selling them and many other things I've collected like the Magnat plasma tweeters and make some room in my listening room. 

Cheers George   

post-106386-0-64443300-1407452133_thumb.

Edited by georgehifi

@ quieter now ;)

Cyclical maintenance of Ageing machinery

had a small operation yesterday arvo and was still high on anesthetic

Yes I went home on the train :)

Have I offended anyone other than you?

Trolls have to work occasionally @@djb - you really are the supreme "master baiter"!  :P

Thought you seemed even more (if that's possible) cantankerous - all is forgiven, drugs and alcohol together are a bad mixture for you!  :cool:

Never?? - you haven't lived!  :D

Back on topic - I had a Yamaha tuner I bought new in 1980, manual tuning but can't remember the model but I ended up selling to a friend and regretted it when I went over and listened to it again!

It just sounded so right, smooth detailed and dynamic from memory.

@@Warren M warren no one has ventured an answer to my questions re FM ONLY tuners being (possibly) superiority to dual AM/FM tuners.

I have 5 good am/fm tuners

2 that rate quite high in perhaps the second rank of 80s tuners

Hitachi 5500 mark 11

Amber model 7

Are there FM only tuners that equal or out class these or similar?

If so do they better them BECAUSE they are without the AM tuner?

Feel free to vary the question ;)

Ie @djb buy this FM tuner it will knock socks off what you have for only$ 101

Better PM that last bit @pPhan @ @Third Drawer Down @et al Can not be trusted

Edited by djb

@@Warren M warren no one has ventured an answer to my questions re FM ONLY tuners being (possibly) superiority to dual AM/FM tuners.

Are there FM only tuners that equal or out class these or similar?

If so do they better them BECAUSE they are without the AM tuner?

Well, David, I think I can answer that one! :D

I bought a Yamaha T-1 from "The Soundcraftsman" around 1980.  This was AM/FM.  Graeme Rodwell said the Yam T-2 sounded better ... but this was FM only and, at that stage, I wanted to experience the full richness of the tuner experience - ie. AM as well as FM. ;)

About 10 years ago (long after I had stopped listening to AM), I found a second-hand T-2 so traded in my T-1 for it ... and, yes the T-2 was better. :thumb: The case was the same size and the two looked very similar ... so I must assume that it was the 'missing' AM section that made it sound better.

Andy

Just discovered this thread and I'm still not recovered from moving on my heavily modded Troughline. :(

Ended up buying a Sansui T80 which is OK but I do lust after a higher end Sansui.

Also have a Nakamichi 430 in a vintage system which plays background music from abc classic FM

Oh the NAK is FM only and gets a acceptable reviews online.

Still, would like to invest in a nicer unit, not sure what........

@@Kensell21

There are 3 FM only on sna classifieds page 1-see OP

Troughline was so early it required considerable upgrades to meet the standard required :(

I suspect the non sale of these 3 indicates lack of interest in FM in preference to ease of DAB/Spotify over the SQ of FM.

And as a consequence the prices being asked are too high

For am/fm Sansui TU *17 217-717 would be a good place to go

Been some 217s go for $125 ish.

I'd begin by moving the FM Nag to the main system

Edited by djb