Some thoughts and comparisons of andyr's speaker cables ;)

I did promise @andyr this quite a while ago now and since I've had Covid, been in hospital and had a million other things that have prevented me from relaxing for a decent listen to Andy's cables (and my whole system). My ears have been on a musical Keto diet which has been painful and unsustainable...

So these are DIY cables meticulously made by Andy and kindly sent to myself to try out and maybe compare to some other brands I have about the house. Some expensive ones such as Tara Labs and Audioquest, some mid-range but good brands, VDH and QED and some cheaper brands such as Bunnings offerings. 

I think I will use the most neutral, resolving gear I have, maybe the Plinius 9200, CD101 and the PMC Tb2S+ speakers. I also plan to pair his cables up with a number of different amps and speakers to see how they react. It will be purely a subjective point of view. Yes I do have a 4 year science research degree but no it's not in this field so no measurements will be taken. Will be done purely from a few years of experience and enthusiasm in this hobby 🤪

I'm hoping to soon find the time but have had a bit of  listen using my ME24 pre, Exposure Classic XXVIII Power amp, HIFi Rose RS250 streamer and Harbeth SHL5P XD's. Initial impressions 🤔 :shocked::D👏

More to follow....

blakey72

• Like 8

Thank you, Blake.  :thumb:

I look forward to reading about your thoughts on these solid-core spkr cables.  ME24, Exposure amp and Harbeths should be an excellent system to listen to them with.  :)

I hope your spell in hospital solved whatever issue it was that sent you there!

Andy

• Like 2

On 15/05/2022 at 9:41 PM, andyr said:

Thank you, Blake.  :thumb:

I look forward to reading about your thoughts on these solid-core spkr cables.  ME24, Exposure amp and Harbeths should be an excellent system to listen to them with.  :)

I hope your spell in hospital solved whatever issue it was that sent you there!

Andy

What's the speaker cable that you've made?

1 hour ago, Misternavi said:

What's the speaker cable that you've made?

Simple construction ... but a lot of labour.  :)

Belden 1585A, teflon-coated, solid core 24g wires - as many strands as are needed for the current draw of the spkr & the length.  Typically 8 wires to the +ve terminal and 8 wires to the -ve terminal, for a 3m length - one wire from each twisted pair for +ve and the other for -ve..  (So 32 strands to be stripped for each spkr!)

Then a braided shield over the top, for WAF reasons.

Andy

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, andyr said:

Doesn't sound simple.  that's a lot of cable to strip.

24 minutes ago, andyr said:

Then a braided shield over the top,

Is it a metal shield or just woven insulation?

What did you use before this cable? 

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Belden 1585A, teflon-coated, solid core 24g wires - as many strands as are needed for the current draw of the spkr & the length.  Typically 8 wires to the +ve terminal and 8 wires to the -ve terminal, for a 3m length - one wire from each twisted pair for +ve and the other for -ve..  (So 32 strands to be stripped for each spkr!)

Then a braided shield over the top, for WAF reasons.

Andy

So do you still keep it in the cat5e jacket or do you strip it out and do you leave it bare or terminate?

8 hours ago, klm said:

So do you still keep it in the cat5e jacket or do you strip it out and do you leave it bare or terminate?

No - I remove the jacket;  Yes, I normally install banano plugs or spades at each end, depending on customer requirements.

9 hours ago, Misternavi said:

Doesn't sound simple.  that's a lot of cable to strip.

Haha - yes it is!  :(

Is it a metal shield or just woven insulation?

Sorry, I should've said "sheath" - not shield.  (Ie. its not metal.)

What did you use before this cable? 

I've been using it for over 20 years.  I think I had Naim cable before - to go with my Naim amps then.

Andy

So the classic cat5 cable without the braiding of the wires?

I used a simple version (none braided) at one point using the alternate wires in the twisted pairs for negative and positive, it was OK.

I tried the braided style too, wasn't a fan of that.

This was normal solid core type but not the Belden teflon type.

Edited by muon*

On 20/5/2022 at 5:45 AM, andyr said:

No - I remove the jacket;  Yes, I normally install banano plugs or spades at each end, depending on customer requirements.

Are they Spanish banana plugs? 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattyW said:

Interesting.... I look forward to reading about your impressions of these. Every piece of gear I've bought from @andyr in the past has been rather brilliant. 

They are very good indeed. Just have a trip to Melbourne today/tomorrow then will start the review Friday ;)

• Like 2