Australian Pricing of Hi-FI. The JBL L100

I am looking to downsize my home so was looking for smaller speakers and am interested in the JBL L100. These have had good reviews in Stereonet 2019 and more recently in Tannhäuser Gate. Then the pricing caught my eye. The retail price in the US is $4000

AUD $5700

AUD $A570 GST

AUD $A? for transport. Remember the US RETAIL price already includes transport from Indonesia (where they are made) Surely that cost would also be in that converted Australian price?

So total so far is

$A6270 let's round up to $A6500

BUT in Australia the RRP is AUD $8499!! Remember this AUD$2000 markup is on the retail not the wholesale price!

WTF - the more things change the more they stay the same!

It's very frustrating observing these price differences, and easy to feel that we are being ripped-off along the way.  The difference between Australian retail and overseas prices for audio gear is something that is periodically discussed on SNA

Below is a link to a recent thread, and several posts on the first page includes links to some other threads with similar content.  Some posters in these discussions are or have been Australian audio retails who share their experience/knowledge.  I've become aware that the reasons for the pricing differences are more complex than it initially appears. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

This "Australian pricing" topic has been discussed ad nauseam and at times, comments have been made in a context where the poster may have honest intent,but may not understand the realities of doing business in the audio trade in Australia.

Suffice to say that it is far,far more than just the exchange rate and shipping.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, rantan said:

This "Australian pricing" topic has been discussed ad nauseam and at times, comments have been made in a context where the poster may have honest intent,but may not understand the realities of doing business in the audio trade in Australia.

Suffice to say that it is far,far more than just the exchange rate and shipping.

Indeed, and never mind the fact that the wholesale buy price often varies from country to country so all bets are off when it comes to trying to base things just on exchange rates shipping and taxes.

10 hours ago, rantan said:

Yeah, once every few weeks it seems   🥱

Anyway, I look at it like this.  I'm either happy to pay the price for the item, or I'm not.  Who cares what someone else pays, good luck to them if they save money.  At the end of the day, if they're not paying what I'm paying, then they're not living in Australia...poor buggers.

It's either good value to you, or it ain't.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 4

• Volunteer
22 hours ago, valvedog said:

I am looking to downsize my home so was looking for smaller speakers and am interested in the JBL L100. These have had good reviews in Stereonet 2019 and more recently in Tannhäuser Gate. Then the pricing caught my eye. The retail price in the US is $4000

The US price might be quoted without state tax. Not sure on this as their taxes vary from state to state. 

AUD $5700

AUD $A570 GST

AUD $A? for transport. Remember the US RETAIL price already includes transport from Indonesia (where they are made) Surely that cost would also be in that converted Australian price?

there will also be duty which is paid on the item’s price + the cost of shipping. 
and regarding shipping, I imagine shipping costs from Indonesia to the USA would be cheaper because JBL has a significantly bigger market there and would be able to reduce the cost per unit. 

So total so far is

$A6270 let's round up to $A6500

BUT in Australia the RRP is AUD $8499!! Remember this AUD$2000 markup is on the retail not the wholesale price!

WTF - the more things change the more they stay the same!

Not a huge difference but I’ve seen them for $8k and if you walk into a bricks and mortar store you will almost always be able to negotiate a discount. Even if you only get 10% off you’re at around $7,200

True, you’ll still probably pay more but I reckon a decent chunk of your $2k price difference goes away pretty quickly and you get local warranty and support. 

Wasn't gas from Australia shipped all the way to Japan and South Korea for less than half the price than what Australian consumers paid? I believe even the ACCC mentioned price gouging.

Wasn't there a Senate inquiry into pricing in Australia, eg where Apple couldn't explain why songs downloaded here were much dearer than elsewhere? A download, no storefronts or local customer service staff there.

There may well be reasons that justify such things.

Or there may not be.

Yes, there are other factors at play than currency rate, GST and a bit of shipping... A local warranty is nicer than having to send back a faulty item to far-flung destinations... But there IS often a substantial mark-up for locally bought products that allows the distributor to make a profit. How much of a markup depends on manufacturer and distributor. Sometimes we have the advantage: Chinese products in Europe are ridiculously expensive compared to Australia. But on the whole we do get stung.

There are some local distributors who really try to keep prices down and they will always be in the front page of my blackbook...

If I was a manufacturer promoting my brand to overseas customers, I would ensure that prices were competitive and perhaps make a little less profit in doing so.

Edited by was_a

I remember the discrepancy with Mission 753 speakers back in the mid 90's and the gouge was truly breathtaking at that point.

We are a small market, a long way from the US or UK.  Shop rents are high, freight costs are high, staff wages are high...  Supply demand...

But in Australia, yes, we expect that we will bleed for our hifi purchases.

That said, look at any second hand hifi stuff listed on ebay coming from Japan.  Seems to be double if not triple what everyone else is selling things for...

• Like 1

Yes @rantan these threads are tiresome.

To the OP, JBL represent themselves in America (i.e, there is no middle-man wholesaler bringing the product into the country and selling to retailers).

So by definition, with less mouths to feed, the price will always be "better".

It works both ways - take the Krix MX-10 speaker system. AUD$10K here, but TEN THOUSAND POUNDS in the UK. You work out why that may be.

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1

OK, sorry I mentioned it - only did a perfunctory search and will not comment further - but if it does cost $6000 to sell a $2000 product but the end result is "no sale" who wins?

5 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

In fairness to the OP, he(/she?) is new to SNA and would not have seen the other threads on this topic that are familiar to longer-term members.  🙂

Thats what the search function is for.

1 minute ago, valvedog said:

OK, sorry I mentioned it - only did a perfunctory search and will not comment further - but if it does cost $6000 to sell a $2000 product but the end result is "no sale" who wins?

No need to be sorry, but how do you expect it to work otherwise? Are distributors expected to commit to product for the good of the planet and make no money but incur all the costs, headaches and responsibility associated with being in business?

It's simple - if you're unhappy with the cost, dont spend the money. That is your right to do so.

• Volunteer
18 minutes ago, valvedog said:

I’m trying to understand this. Why does it cost $6k to sell a $2k product?