Australian Jazz Museum

7:45pm Wednesday 20th September

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

It is my pleasure to announce that Dan Kellett from Australian Jazz Museum (AJM) will be presenting at the September 2023 general meeting.

The AJM is located in Wantirna on Mountain Highway, just off Burwood Highway and Eastlink. It was founded in 1996 and collects and preserves all things Australian Jazz and has a large range of memorabilia from many of Australian's jazz legends. The AJM also digitise music collections and sells CDs to the public through it's website of various Australian jazz artists.

The Australian Jazz Museum preserve all manner of articles, from instruments, records and tapes to ephemera such as quilts, posters and a handkerchief signed by Louis Armstrong and his band! The collection at AJM also includes interviews, images and printed material, such as posters, tickets and newspaper clippings.

The website is very comprehensive and has a great deal of information to start your Australian jazz experience.

Dan will also be bringing along some CDs for purchase and some membership forms if you are interested in joining the AJM. He will play some samples of the CDs of Australia's most brilliant jazz artists.

Also there is a possibly that Dan will be accompanied by a four-piece jazz band, however that was still to be confirmed at the time of writing. Stay tuned!

Please let your friends now about this meeting, especially those who have a yearning for jazz! It will be entertaining and also a great way to learn about the history of jazz in Australia.

See you there!

Dave Polanske
Programme Coordinator

Ken Tripp

Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The museum is worth a visit if you are interested in Jazz.  I spent an afternoon there, and of course made some purchases in their store!  Had a very interesting chat with the audio engineer that does the audio restoration work. 

https://www.ajm.org.au/

Edited by audiofeline

9 hours ago, audiofeline said:

The museum is worth a visit if you are interested in Jazz.  I spent an afternoon there, and of course made some purchases in their store!  Had a very interesting chat with the audio engineer that does the audio restoration work. 

https://www.ajm.org.au/

Agreed.

My father-in-law had some rare Australian Jazz recordings and other memorabilia which we donated after he passed away.  Was invited to have a look around when I dropped them off and was very impressed with what I saw.

• Like 1