TIDAL Discussion Thread

Listening to Lianne La Havas 'Blood' played back in Audirvana and the MQA version is surprisingly better than the standard version despite having no unfolding decoder in A+ yet. More impact, more dimensional, more lively and engaging. 

This seems to be consistently the case with the MQA versions, so I guess that makes it already a win. I'd be interested to know if the MQA file played back at 44/48khz is benefiting from the increased bit depth or whether those bits are where the 'folded' data is hidden and the better sound is a mastering refresh/manipulation? I mean they can't be equivalent to straight 24/44 or 24/48 PCM given the folded data(?). 

On 01/02/2017 at 11:09 AM, a.dent said:

So the Bluesound app gives a separate MASTERS list?

Yeah it does now, click on the Tidal icon then a new section comes up as Masters. Still not ideal to scroll through to find the albums you like, a search inside of Masters would be good

im listening to In my time of dying, zeppelin, mqa through bluesound and loving it

edit: seems you can search for albums/artists in Masters, through bluesound. Happy now

Edited by Andrews_melb

Being as I had no spare RCA's left over, I just scored myself a 1m pair of wireworld eclipse 6 cables for $240 new. 

I'll use these to connect my Node2 via analog so I can use its dac for MQA. i heard the difference between my 2qute and the nodes dac playing the same track with an instant ABing session, and there's was enough difference to explore the nodes MQA dac at home. 

Guest thathifiguy
54 minutes ago, Sime said:

Being as I had no spare RCA's left over, I just scored myself a 1m pair of wireworld eclipse 6 cables for $240 new. 

I'll use these to connect my Node2 via analog so I can use its dac for MQA. i heard the difference between my 2qute and the nodes dac playing the same track with an instant ABing session, and there's was enough difference to explore the nodes MQA dac at home. 

So you feel as though the Masters running via Node 2 analog out gives noticeably better sound than digital out? Might have to do the same if that is the case... 

@thathifiguy ok, the best way I can describe it is that the difference between the 2qute and the Node2 dac with MQA files is that the Node2 is less aggressive. And they are very different sounds, which one is the "True" sound, well who knows. 

But listening to Phil Collins album Face value, I'm preferring the Node2. 

Edited by Sime

Guest thathifiguy
1 minute ago, Sime said:

@thathifiguy ok, the best way I can describe it is that the difference between the 2qute and the Node2 dac with MQA files is that the Node2 is less aggressive. And they are very different sounds, which one is the "True" sound, well who knows. 

But listening to Phil Collins Face value, I'm preferring the Node2. 

Wow! Yeah, I think I definitely need to give it a crack then!

But then I go over the an Immortilized album and the 2qute is more open with that on both HD and MQA. 

Its one of those things to judged on an album by album basis 

Just listening to Steely Dan Gaucho in HD and comparing the Node2 to the 2qute, and in that test, 2qute kills it. 

So it will be interesting to see if over time, the Node2 gets used for MQA over the 2qute. Time will tell. 

Here's my brief conclusions from the small amount of listening today. 

Now that I have decent RCA'S and coax all round, I can now play these files with a more truthful and honest opinion, especially with a A/B comparison that's instant. 

Firstly, it's a given when playing anything non MQA, the 2qute owns the Node2's dac, easily. 

But when  it comes to MQA, the 2qute playing MQA does an ok job, but even a lackluster standard dac that's in the Node2 that can play MQA will beat it in the MQA realm.

it makes me wonder what a dac like a Mytek Brooklyn or Meridians own MQA dac will be capable. 

So it's simply a  case of using the Node2 on its own for MQA until I can source a better capable dac. And if indeed the level of sound with a capable dac is achieved, jebus, it will be nice. 

Edited by Sime

@Sime  if you can source a higher level Meridian dac, I would give it a go, they are a big full beautiful sound and would team up well with your B&W's methinks. The dac in my 808.3i sounds better than any stand alone dac I have heard to date. Well, other parts of that component may be helping as it is a 'player' ahem, but I still think the Meridian dac would be worth a shot and shouldn't be as exxy as a lot of the currently trending stuff.

You might have trouble finding a silver one.

@Darren69 I won't have any trouble finding a silver one, my system is black ;)

And I'll look into it, a MQA dac is on the cards this year. It'll be either a meridian or the Brooklyn. 

@Darren69 There's a thread Marc started with their new supplier, but that supplier has no mention of the brand on the site from what I can see. I need to find out who sells meridian in Sydney I guess. 

11 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Darren69 There's a thread Marc started with their new supplier, but that supplier has no mention of the brand on the site from what I can see. I need to find out who sells meridian in Sydney I guess. 

Give the new supplier a call if you're keen.

Glad the Clearer Audio cable is a positive outcome for you, I really loved them and only sold because I had no further use for them, was sad to see them go.

27 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Darren69 I need to find out who sells meridian in Sydney I guess. 

Len does. Since we are in the Tidal thread, I'm assuming you're looking for a digital endpoint? You'll probably want to look at the MS200 and MS600 (the 600 is better) - but neither support MQA. You'll be into the flagship 818, which is similar to @Darren69 but without the spinner.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I just found an album that has some tracks playing in "master" mode and some in "hifi" mode. 

Wilco - The Whole Love. Tracks 1,3,5,7,9,10 & 12 are Hifi only, the rest play as Master. 

I'm using the Tidal app on a Windows 7 PC. The app just updated for me this morning, but not sure if that makes a difference. I tried a handful of other albums in the Masters section, all played as Masters for all tracks. My DAC doesn't show rates, so I can't verify what is coming out bit-wise.

Sloppy remastering?