TIDAL Discussion Thread

CHESKY will release this album in 2 weeks. Red book layer with MQA wrapped in there somewhere.

I have been playing it for a few weeks now. I have not been able to access an MQA enabled device, so have only heard red book layer.

It is a dummy head recording of a live performance that has taken some time to get my head around.

Billy.

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, koputai said:

So they're making 14 bit CD's now? :)

If you read any Meridian literature on the subject, they always say that the performance of vinyl is approximately 14 bit.

Actually, yes. Because the MQA encoding is embedded in the lower bits as "noise-like" information, the effective resolution of the 16-bit PCM data gets reduced. In a fully-enabled MQA system a listener might decide that the trade-off is worth it in order to get the phase and impulse "correction" the technology claims to offer. 

@Wavetrain  I wasn't having a go at MQA, rather disputing that you can make a 'better' CD by making it more like vinyl. The measurable facts being that vinyl is lower performance than CD in the first place, as Meridian so often points out.

Cheers,

Jason.

• 9 months later...

Ok, I have now completely changed my tune when it comes to MQA, that or the Brooklyn is just a good DAC. 

Since ive had this DAC al, I have been wanting to listen is MQA stuff from tidal, they just have a nice tone and a groove to them, it’s weird. Whatever this DAC does to them, it’s not being done by the DAC inside the Node2, listening to MQA on the node was boring. I just wish there was more stuff available on tidal. 

Makes me wonder if the detractors of MQA have heard it on a DAC that does hardware decoding instead of software. 

Im sitting here listening to Van Morrison’s Versatile and it’s divine. 

On 04/03/2018 at 7:32 AM, Sime said:

Ok, I have now completely changed my tune when it comes to MQA, that or the Brooklyn is just a good DAC. 

Since ive had this DAC al, I have been wanting to listen is MQA stuff from tidal, they just have a nice tone and a groove to them, it’s weird. Whatever this DAC does to them, it’s not being done by the DAC inside the Node2, listening to MQA on the node was boring. I just wish there was more stuff available on tidal. 

Makes me wonder if the detractors of MQA have heard it on a DAC that does hardware decoding instead of software. 

Im sitting here listening to Van Morrison’s Versatile and it’s divine. 

Can you blind test between mqa and non mqa without headphones? Just wondering how easy it is to pick. 

I also wonder whether MQA from node2 sounds better than non MQA from the Brooklyn?

@Mike13 all I can say about my experience with MQA is that I used to try and appreciate it on the Node2 only (internal DAC) and had to laugh at what a joke it is. 

‘Now since the Brooklyn, all I have been listening to is MQA , why? Don’t care, but it’s enjoyable and that’s all that counts. 

When I visited the Meridian factory last year, our group was split up to visit different parts of the factory which included several listening rooms. As well as the usual showoffs, there was one room set up with an MQA Tidal source, analogue speakers and a very expensive Meridian DAC.

It was stunning, yet very different to the all-digital model I am familiar with.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

different to the all-digital model I am familiar with

Yes, this resonates with me, it’s not the same. 

20 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

When I visited the Meridian factory last year, our group was split up to visit different parts of the factory which included several listening rooms. As well as the usual showoffs, there was one room set up with an MQA Tidal source, analogue speakers and a very expensive Meridian DAC.

It was stunning, yet very different to the all-digital model I am familiar with.

12 minutes ago, Sime said:

Yes, this resonates with me, it’s not the same. 

I have to agree. It is digital done differently.

When I first got my Mytek Brooklyn DAC I couldn't stop listening to MQA from Tidal. It seemed to sound more analog to me than I was used to from PCM. Comparing the MQA albums to my PCM 44.1 files of the same music had me preferring MQA almost every time.

For some reason that early infatuation has worn off. I no longer prefer the MQA version of most tracks from Tidal. I don't know why but my ears have started to find fault with the MQA sound.

Maybe it is due to all the anti-MQA stuff I've read leading me psychologically to prefer plain PCM:ohmy:

@a.dent interesting, I’ll see how long it lives with me. But for the record, I had zero expectations with MQA and the Brooklyn, so I was surprised. 

I'm hoping someone here can help.  I'm wondering what, if any, level of the MQA experience I'm getting playing Tidal MQA files with the following set up :-

Roon running on Mac Book

Roon remote on Ipad

ROON outputting to Bluesound Node 2

Node 2 to PS Audio Stella Gain DAC (not MQA certified) via coax

Stella Gain to power amp to speakers.

Is any form of MQA "unpacking" going on?

Cheers in advance.

On 05/03/2018 at 7:34 PM, Sime said:

@Mike13 all I can say about my experience with MQA is that I used to try and appreciate it on the Node2 only (internal DAC) and had to laugh at what a joke it is. 

‘Now since the Brooklyn, all I have been listening to is MQA , why? Don’t care, but it’s enjoyable and that’s all that counts. 

This makes me want a Brooklyn. Will wait to hear on Brooklyn vs Qutest+MQA. 

On 05/03/2018 at 9:10 PM, a.dent said:

For some reason that early infatuation has worn off. I no longer prefer the MQA version of most tracks from Tidal.

This makes me not want a Brooklyn :lol:

19 minutes ago, Mpr_65 said:

I'm hoping someone here can help.  I'm wondering what, if any, level of the MQA experience I'm getting playing Tidal MQA files with the following set up :-

Roon running on Mac Book

Roon remote on Ipad

ROON outputting to Bluesound Node 2

Node 2 to PS Audio Stella Gain DAC (not MQA certified) via coax

Stella Gain to power amp to speakers.

Is any form of MQA "unpacking" going on?

Cheers in advance.

Nope. You need to run the Node 2 analog outputs to the Stella audio inputs, ie the Node 2 will unpack via it's DAC

Roon keep sayings they are going to do the first unpack but nothing as yet.

1 minute ago, SteveC said:

Nope. You need to run the Node 2 analog outputs to the Stella audio inputs, ie the Node 2 will unpack via it's DAC

Roon keep sayings they are going to do the first unpack but nothing as yet.

Thanks SteveC

That makes sense to my ears.

Problem is that I'm not that thrilled with the Node 2 DAC,  MQA or no MQA.  Sounds a tad lifeless and dull compared to the Stella.

Anyway appreciate you taking to time to help.

Cheers