Bridging bars for speaker binding posts

Hi all

Probably a very silly question but I’m looking for a pair of the gold ‘bridging bars’ that go between two sets of binding posts on speakers.

I’ve searched on a few websites like Selby Acoustics, CableChick and Jaycar but can’t actually find what they’re consistently called so nothing is coming up.

Can anyone assist?

I had an excellent set of Speaker Jumper cables (22cm long or shorter/Longer) made by Geoff Maloney (Aurealis Audio) for my new KEF R3's . Much better than the bars and plates you see around. Contact Geoff for a price. His workmanship is superb.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

I had an excellent set of Speaker Jumper cables (22cm long or shorter/Longer) made by Geoff Maloney (Aurealis Audio) for my new KEF R3's . Much better than the bars and plates you see around. Contact Geoff for a price. His workmanship is superb.

Cheers

Definitely better than those metal plates that come with speakers.

Thanks for the replies all. I’ve actually got some DIY short speaker cable bridging the posts now but wanted to grab a set of the brass metal bars for ease of use. Surely places stock these bars as spare parts cheaply?

1 hour ago, OzJustin said:

Thanks for the replies all. I’ve actually got some DIY short speaker cable bridging the posts now but wanted to grab a set of the brass metal bars for ease of use. Surely places stock these bars as spare parts cheaply?

I have found that decent cable has always been an improvement over those bars. If you’ve got that, stick with it. If you’re on the fence about your current cable, PM Bill as above!

$40, bananas at one end, spades the other.

cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Ruffter
Add link
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Thanks all. Does anyone know where the standard metal plates are available though?

You may have to contact you speaker manufacturer. As said, they come in many different angles/widths/lengths.

Edited by blakey72

47 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Ok thanks all. I may just bite the bullet and make up a set of better jumper cables myself then. 

Good move, brass plates are a horrid idea where sound quality is concerned, and brass in general is best avoided.

1 hour ago, OzJustin said:

Ok thanks all. I may just bite the bullet and make up a set of better jumper cables myself then. 

Assuming you are asking for your vaf speakers , do they carry spares? 

14 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Assuming you are asking for your vaf speakers , do they carry spares? 

Yes for my VAFs. I’m just missing the brass plate on one of my DC-Xs. Using a bit of speaker wire presently. I haven’t actually enquired with VAF as I had thought the plates would be readily available at many local stores. Apparently not.

If the plates are good enough for VAF then I’m surprised there’s such a push here for custom speaker jumper cables. Surely there can’t be much difference?

I’ve got some high quality 12AWG speaker wire I can test the difference with.

2 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Yes for my VAFs. I’m just missing the brass plate on one of my DC-Xs. Using a bit of speaker wire presently. I haven’t actually enquired with VAF as I had thought the plates would be readily available at many local stores. Apparently not.

If the plates are good enough for VAF then I’m surprised there’s such a push here for custom speaker jumper cables. Surely there can’t be much difference?

I’ve got some high quality 12AWG speaker wire I can test the difference with.

Price, they are usually cheap gold plated price. 

On 24/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, Jone5y said:

I've got vafs. Think I still have the plates. Can send them to you to see if they fit

Thanks for the offer. Given people seem to be strongly suggesting jumper cables over the binding plates, I might make a cable first to see if I can hear a difference.

37 minutes ago, Jone5y said:

No problem, I'd be surprised if a Diy cable version didnt sound better than the standard connectors

Yes it’s a slippery slope with small incremental gains isn’t it! I may have to make a couple more jumper cables for my other VAF speakers now too.

• Like 1