Currently Spinning

Boris Sujdovic ‎– Desperate Girl.  on the back cover - "Please play loud and off your face (that's the way it was recorded) and yes, the Bass side is all done on a bass guitar".   love it!!

Aussie alt rock veteran Boris with his 2011 solo album on Bang Records.   Amazing record. This thing rocks and sonically,  it is one of the best sounding rock recordings I own - the electric guitars sound like they are in the room.       amazon au still have a couple of copies - be quick.

45310890905_a61787be35_b.jpg

• Like 1

Afternoon Lads.  Great to be lazing around on a Saturday. Nice and cool 'round these parts lately.

Didn't know where to start this morning, went through the racks and landed on this one...

Metallica  'Garage Inc.'  1998 Vertigo Records. Polygram Int. Polygram, Aust.

630184480_MetallicaGarageInc.1998VertigoRecords.PolygramInt.PolygramAust_x600.jpg.48d62ed573f3da675843e61f70a685df.jpg  

712335254_MetallicaGarageInc.1998VertigoRecords.PolygramInt.PolygramAust_back.jpg.ad1a3e1dc3c4fa905e39bbc173e8f2c2.jpg

I have never been to a Metallica gig, but they were one of the bands I clicked with from the start when I heard their first recording 'Hit the Lights' on the independent, Metal Blade compilation album 'Metal Massacre', which I bought from Utopia Records when they were downstairs in Martin Place and very small.  The production on all tracks is pretty ordinary, but the energy is fully represented by these bands with the 'do it yourself' ethos, and rawness of Punk, which has always been a link to Metal with the explosion of Speed and Thrash, and also linked to the NWOBHM through bands like Iron Maiden (with Paul Di'Anno) and Motorhead, among so many others moving into Black and Death Metal.  All my opinion only.

While I don't have their first Album 'Kill 'em All', I do have the next three on Vinyl, all original Aust. pressings, which have been played many times.  I also have  'Garage Days Revisited'  1987 Mercury Records. Polygram, Aust. original pressing, not played that much.

If I had to name my favourite Metallica track it would have to be 'One' from '...and Justice for All', when it's cranked it feels great, tight and urgent.

This CD is cover versions of influential music on the band.  From highlighting the Punk influence with bands such as Anti Nowhere League, Discharge and Killing Joke, to a more middle of the road selection from others like Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bob Seger.  Sabbath, Budgie, Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate and a few others round it out for a pretty cool selection, closing with four Motorhead covers. It sounds great too, though I didn't have it cranked on a Saturday morning.

Again, this is just my opinion.  Metallica lost me after '...and Justice for All'.  The growth of the Music and Metal industries led to larger venues and a change in approach to recording production, with sound required to fill bigger and bigger areas.  The band that represented this best (worst) for me were Def Leppard.  But even Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and the American bands Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue and others all experienced this through the '80's as the business of Metal was exploding.  That's one of the reasons I opened up to 'Alternative' bands, to get away from the pompous over production. 

I like Metallica's sense of urgency with early work.  This is a great compilation, the first disc was recorded in 1998, with the second disc containing the 'Garage Days Re-Revisited' EP's from '84 and '87, 'B-Sides and One-Offs', and 'Motorheadache' '95.

The first time I found out about Kyuss was reading a review of a Metallica gig in Australia in 1993, I think it was a Sydney show.  From memory, the reviewer wrote something like "Blew Metallica Off Stage".  I was intrigued by such a band and have been listening to Kyuss and QOTSA ever since, unfortunately never catching them live either. 

Where to go next...  I'm not up for extreme listening today...

Thin Lizzy  'Renegade'  1981 Vertigo. Phonogram, Japan.

516612568_ThinLizzyRenegade1981Vertigo.PhonogramJapan..JPG.fae1f998a8afd1bb8846b3f1dc862b76.JPG

A Japanese pressing picked up at a Record Fair a while back, in pristine nic.  It was a replacement for one I bought second hand years ago.  The only Thin Lizzy Album that I have on Vinyl, it has always been a favourite.  It sounds great. 

For me it has a slickness, or a polish that gives it more depth.  Released in 1981, three years after Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' soundtrack (feat Phil Lynott), 'Renegade' has a dramatic or theatrical feel, especially the Pink Floyd like intro of the opening track 'Angel of Death'.  The album flows very well and sounds like music recorded by a comfortable band.  It gets mixed reviews though...  from wiki...

Greg Prato of AllMusic claimed that Renegade is Thin Lizzy's worst album, with "blatant pop leanings and a production too similar to British heavy metal bands of the early '80s", blaming Snowy White's incompatibility with the group, Lynott's "flat vocals" and the band's drug problems. Prato named "The Pressure Will Blow", "Leave This Town" and "Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)" as the album's better songs.[1] David Fricke in his review for Rolling Stone stated his disappointment for Lynott's performance as singer and songwriter on the album, writing that "only the rousing chorus of "Hollywood (Down on Your Luck)" and the poignant sense of loss in "It's Getting Dangerous" hint at the sensitive yet anthemic writing and hard-rock smarts that usually separate Thin Lizzy from the lunkheads".[3] On the contrary, Canadian journalist Martin Popoff praised the album for its superb production and the professional state-of-the-art sound, calling Renegade "an absolute masterpiece of deeply soulful and richly textured hard rock", whose "fullness and maturity tend to emerge only when played repeatedly".[2]  

I tend to agree with Popoff's last comments above.  I never over play any music these days, and there are many Albums that stand the test of time, for all of us.  But this one has always been a constant in my life since a late teen.  I love the smoother 'flat' vocals and all Hard Rock/Metal is based in The Blues, so Snowy's not completely out of place.

Not sure where I'm heading next... 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 3

In the mood for something more relaxed and sounding great...

Crowded House  'Recurring Dream -  The Very Best Of...'  1996 Capitol Records. Made in Italy.

2146519029_CrowdedHouseRecurringDream-TheVeryBestOf...1996CapitolRecords.MadeinItaly_x600.jpg.07b87fbcb61b13e03c550181af84e651.jpg

Not a band I listen to a lot, but I have great respect for the brother's Finn as musicians and songwriters.  Split Enz are part of my youthful fabric, like most Kiwi's and Aussie's through the '80's, we couldn't help but absorb their infectious melodies.  Perfect selection for a cruisey Saturday night, running through ol' faithful Sharp-Optonica amp and ol' faithful Technics speakers.

1. Weather With You

2. World Where You Live
  3. Fall At Your Feet
  4. Locked Out
  5. Don't Dream It's Over
  6. Into Temptation
  7. Pineapple Head
  8. When You Come
  9. Private Universe
  10. Not The Girl You Think You Are
  11. Instinct
  12. I Feel Possessed
  13. Four Seasons In One Day
  14. It's Only Natural
  15. Distant Sun
  16. Something So Strong
  17. Mean To Me
  18. Better Be Home Soon
  19. Everything Is Good For You
Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

Have not spun this for many years.

Black Sabbath- Back Trackin' 20th Anniversary Edition

cover_215382632009.jpg.d442425cd02c2da32b08dd6634704ea2.jpg

A compilation album with good flow, but typical Sab sq.

Started and ended with albums with a white background.

Started with A Perfect Circle while cooking lunch.  

81YI7X9yubL._SY355_.jpg

And finished with Chelsea Wolfe.  

543382.jpg

Kind of funny with APC.  My favourite song of that album is almost the last one, which is really just a filler.  But maybe that's just that the sort of things I dig.  Oh well.

And I do love Chelsea's sound.  

In between there was a bit of a mix.  Listened to a bit of Michael Jackson.  Listened to a bit of synthwave,   Listened to a random sort of hard rock and metal mix that I felt like hearing.  But it's been a good music day today.  :thumb:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Not a band I listen to a lot, but I have great respect for the brother's Finn as musicians and songwriters.  Split Enz are part of my youthful fabric, like most Kiwi's and Aussie's through the '80's, we couldn't help but absorb their infectious melodies.  Perfect selection for a cruisey Saturday night.

I just spent six months in a leaky boat!

• Like 1

Yeah @Monk 'I Got You' does it for me, like other Kiwi band The Swingers with 'Counting the Beat', songs that always pop into my mind.

Wanting to stay on a relaxed vibe but heading down a darker path...

Primus  'The Desaturating Seven'  2017 ATO Records. flac

1706218712_PrimusTheDesaturatingSeven2017ATORecords.jpg.cb6e3f18e39e0d26e1059edab0d157da.jpg

All too brief magestical adventure of the Goblins who consume the colour from rainbows.  I've tried a few times to get into the Willy Wonka album, but it just doesn't click for me, but this one is a dark and mysterious fantasy, with the Primus sound reflecting the connection between the psychedelic experience and the imagination, making this engaging and entrancing.

Artists like Noel Fielding of The Mighty Boosh who makes psychedelic art with emphasis on the importance of fantasy and imagination in our lives.

Moving back into the light just a little...

The Claypool Lennon Delirium  'The Monolith of Phobos'  2016 Prawns Song, ATO Records. flac

518213092_TheClaypoolLennonDeliriumTheMonolithofPhobos2016PrawnsSongATORecords.jpg.67020bb98bfdc36b9d38ca4401e88941.jpg

I have this on Vinyl, but while the sound is OK, the record itself sounds terrible with rasps, scrapes, click and pops the whole way through. It was one of my first online purchases when getting back into music and vinyl, and I should have sent it back, but I left it too long to return credibly, something I have since learned to do.

Edit - A few words while listening...

It's not Primus, but there is no mistaking Les' distinctive vocals and signature bass sound.  Lennon adds a new dimension of vocals with a distinct Beatles feel, especially on 'Boomerang Baby', with Les just going off on the bass.

For me these are Psychedelic gems, music for listening in the dark with a spark.

New Claypool Lennon Delirium Album  'South of Reality'  ATO Records, out Jan/Feb???

370945287_TheClaypoolLennonDeliriumSouthofReality2019.jpg.ff6746dfb9e4ab33ca926f822510a6f9.jpg

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

JJ CZLE & ERIC CLAPTON: THE ROAD TO ESCONDIDO  When they get together the music is cream. 

BILLY BRAGG & JOE HENRY: SHINE A LIGHT: FIELD RECORDINGS FROM THE GREAT AMERICAN RAILROAD. A beautiful album.

A couple of CDs. Feeling a bit 'chilled out' tonight- day off tomorrow. 

IMG_20181208_215618.jpg

15442703280824209921577037213947.jpg

• Like 3

Dax Riggs- We Sing Of Only Blood Or Love

downloadfile-16.jpeg.407f6ba855c3f3ad54042aba3bb6b87b.jpeg

My mate asked me "who's this"?

"The lead singer of Deadboy And The Elephantmen", I said.

"Of course it is", he said.

Where do you go after something like The Lennon Claypool Delirium?  I wanted to stay on slightly skewed adventure, putting on The Flaming Lips  'Embryonic' CD, but that didn't sit too well, lasting two tracks before landing with this one...

Pink Floyd  'Wish You Were here'  1975 Columbia Records - 2011 digital remaster, EMI, Aust. CD.

2065959846_PinkFloydWishYouWerehere1975ColumbiaRecords-2011DigitalremasterEMIAust_x600.jpg.76cce3f36ac184ef8f28e635266d52a3.jpg

Not my pic, I'm to skewed myself to scan the cover.  Complementing a relaxing day nicely, a smooth finish to wind up with.

• Like 4

Where in deed, Ant?

Julian Cope- You Got A Problem With Me?

downloadfile-33.jpeg.158e79a9c7c7bb82e12e5197f4817ff1.jpeg

Butthole Surfers- Widowermaker

downloadfile-18.jpeg.2e5ec212313c2dfcc707001809d1fa8b.jpeg

Never has such incoherent looseness made so much sense. A sign of the times?

Edited by deanB

To Top