Currently Spinning

On board the Hippie express, first stop Nimbin, then express to Byron Bay (I wish).

alt.j 'This is All Yours' 2014 Infectious Music.

1363152795_alt.jThisisAllYours2014InfectiousMusic..jpg.62f101ea9982494a1d3970d25f0df854.jpg

Most of you should know about this Album.  Lossless digital on the hard drive.

• Like 2

'Mystic Chords of Memory' 2004 Rough Trade Records. Made in EU.

423328448_MysticChordsofMemory2004RoughTradeRecords.MadeinEU_x750.jpg.1e9b21931508ba34e0f28baaed3e65cb.jpg

A lovely Album.

AllMusic Review by Tim Sendra  [-]

Mystic Chords of Memory is Chris Gunst of Beachwood Sparks, and Jen Cohen of the Aislers Set. This album grew out of Gunst's frustration with his band, the music industry, and music itself, so it is no surprise that it is a more intimate, muted affair than a Beachwood Sparks disc. It has the feel of a classic bedroom/basement recording -- which is to say, relaxed and free of pressure. Gunst sounds happy and mellow. He still manages to evoke the sprawling, cosmic sense of grandeur that the Sparks did but on a much smaller, more personal level. A track like "Golden Dome," with its spiraling violins, toy-town keyboards, and searching vocal from Gunst sound like B. Sparks boiled down to its very essence. The sweetly chiming "Sure Bert," the tripped-out and spacy "Eyes on Sides of Heads," and the Joe Meek-on-Mars "Mongo and Arky" are highlights as well. Gunst's wispy vocals sound less affected in the low-key context. He never seems to be straining as he sometimes did in Beachwood Sparks. He doesn't miss his old mates much either as Cohen's role throughout is subtle but very important as she adds lovely backing vocals and helps out on bass, keyboards, and drums. Beachwood Sparks fans may have been saddened by the demise of the group, but with the Tyde and now Mystic Chords of Memory, they should rejoice because there are now two bands born of the split, each as good as if not better than the original group.

The Album Leaf 'Into the Blue Again' 2006 Sub Pop Records, Seattle, USA.

2126352476_TheAlbumLeafIntotheBlueAgain2006SubPopRecordsSeattleUSA_x750.jpg.caf454854bd438655c2d0f507ea74ab5.jpg

This one gets mixed reviews, from bland to engaging.  I really like it for the mellow vibe, so I'm posting a positive review...

Jordan Rogowski (Punknews.org)

The vocals are kept to a minimum, but the beautiful instrumentation is held at a premium. The combination of violin, Rhodes piano, organ, synthesizers, and drum programming is one that weaves an intricate and engaging story, often without having to utter a single word. "Red-Eye" immediately evokes an eerie and unsettling feeling with the combination of dark, brooding piano keystrokes and some Telefon Tel Aviv-esque synth work. It's a simple recipe, but one that's able to evoke more feeling and emotion than most bands with ten times as much going on. Sometimes, simplicity truly is the best road to travel. Throughout the song's winding course, the Album Leaf tinker with a variety of tempos to add diversity to what could otherwise grow stale. At just over seven minutes, not a single instance is wasted, not one twist or turn comes without commanding full attention.
And they're able to do just as well with a much shorter template.
"Wherever I Go" is one of the handful of tracks that brings vocals into the fray, and it's such a smooth and effortless transition you're liable to not know one was made at all. Jimmy Lavalle's deep baritone calls the late Ian Curtis to mind, and the striking piano work in the background brings it all full circle. The Album Leaf is just as comfortable with a more traditional song structure as they are with ambient and instrumental pieces, and that versatility speaks volumes for their character.
A gorgeous sensory experience from beginning to end, this record holds you in its grip and makes sure you'll never even try to leave. It evokes emotion, it evokes beautiful imagery, it evokes a full feeling that few bands could even attempt to replicate. All that's left is for you to lay back, close your eyes , and let it all soak in.

...next up, another band most will be familiar with...

The Flaming Lips 'Transmissions from the Satellite Heart' 1993 Warner Bros, USA. Warner Music, Aust.

1467209743_TheFlamingLipsTransmissionsfromtheSatelliteHeart1993WarnerBrosUSA.WarnerMusicAust_x750.jpg.bd376e7c903cecd0f49dc2a6d8486b7c.jpg

I found these guys through the video for 'She Don't Use Jelly', many years ago on Rage.  A band that get mixed reviews in general, but I really get into them, I've never caught them live but I imagine the gigs are quite special.  They are very artistic with video clips and movies.  Great music for tripping the light fantastic too.

CarSeatHeadrest-TwinFantasy.jpg.7edfbfa233583a58c340153d1a069d5f.jpg

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

They got a lot of good praises for their last album Teens of Denial. I couldn't get into it that much but I really like this one. 

It's a really good sounding album for an indie band. Very well recorded, great mastering and great EU pressing by Optimal. A lucky dip, $25 from last week's BOGOF deal!

Diverting my senses from cerebral space rock to my feet and the dance floor....(Dutch 1st pressing)

Michael_Jackson_-_Thriller.png.0468998938af531fe60ce0413690209b.png

Outstanding SQ on this one.?  Actually, I'm not dancing...... just doing some funky foot tapping.?

• Like 2

RoyalBlood.jpg.ecb63ec5199de8794f0ad0947815a983.jpg

Royal Blood

This is slamming good! Their second album just pale in comparison. I have always got such a thrill out of listening to this album, even after so many times. Tight and punchy! 

Also $25 part of the BOGOF deal. This album is very cheap at the normal price, I should have bought something else which is of a higher price, plus the fact that I already have a copy. I am so glad I included this to make up the number. My old copy is 140g, it has quite a bit of surface noise and quite a few pops although not too annoying. The new pressing is 180g,  it adds or subtracts nothing to/from the SQ, however it is almost silent from start to end. Very happy with the new copy!

1 minute ago, Y B said:

RoyalBlood.jpg.ecb63ec5199de8794f0ad0947815a983.jpg

Royal Blood

This is slamming good! Their second album just pale in comparison. I have always got such a thrill out of listening to this album, even after so many times. Tight and punchy! 

Also $25 part of the BOGOF deal. This album is very cheap at the normal price, I should have bought something else which is of a higher price, plus the fact that I already have a copy. I am so glad I included this to make up the number. My old copy is 140g, it has quite a bit of surface noise and quite a few pops although not too annoying. The new pressing is 180g,  it adds or subtracts nothing to/from the SQ, however it is almost silent from start to end. Very happy with the new copy!

Will have to give it another listen, I got both at once and found them a bit clichéd after a few spins, might have been in a crap mood, will give it another go.

I hope you like it more on another listen, it did take me a few spins at the beginning not wanting to be sucked into the hype.

They were hugely popular when the album was released.

Guest deanB
2 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Dean, my favourite Zeppelin Album, nice one.

Mine too. But my cd copy is an Australian pressing from way back, late '80s. It has the disclaimer regards "limitations of the original tape", blah, blah. Listening to it on headphones last night certainly shows up those flaws.

Is there a cd pressing that is an improvement yet avoids the the pitfalls of the modern Led Zep remasters that has Plant is screaming over top of a musical mash?

Edited by deanB

46 minutes ago, deanB said:

Mine too. But my cd copy is an Australian pressing from way back, late '80s. It has the disclaimer regards "limitations of the original tape", blah, blah. Listening to it on headphones last night certainly shows up those flaws.

Is there a cd pressing that is an improvement yet avoids the the pitfalls of the modern Led Zep remasters that has Plant is screaming over top of a musical mash?

Hey Dean, not sure about the CD's mate, I have an Australian Vinyl pressing, not sure which one though, I've never looked it up.

Led Zeppelin 'Houses of the Holy' 1973 Atlantic Records. Made in Aust.

1098285017_LedZeppelinHousesoftheHoly1973AtlanticRecords.MadeinAust.JPG.43017e6a0720a68c85b78b6d5e4bb6bc.JPG

Pristine copy, sounds lovely.

• Like 4

This is the album where The Eagles had finally completely severed ties with their traditional long term fans, and all their brains had been infected with the weirdness of Joe Walsh. It was probably the begining of their demise (before they reformed, and separated, and reformed, and...). It's a shame really, they were getting less mainstream and more creative.

1531206267894803475508.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Ahh...   Memories of a wasted youth.

This copy is in a condition that would indicate it has enjoyed as many parties as I have. Must find a good copy one day.

1531207485710321137700.jpg

Hey Man, I still have that one is great shape.  Way too short but a great record, love a live audience that respects the recording.

Lou Reed 'Live' 1981 RCA Record Division.

1085544992_LouReedLive1981RCARecordDivision.JPG.f7debc7089758e8071a43af1af5d8a52.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deanB said:

The first press Japan cd sounds fantastic, i've had mine for years

but they are going for silly money these days.

ledzeppelinjapanwea32xd154cd.jpg

Edited by kab