Currently Spinning

6 hours ago, Hensa said:

Hard to beat the Speakers Corner pressing of Eye In the Sky.

Start saving......:P
 PS: An interesting excerpt from the 'About Speakers Corner Records' blurb on the Sound Stage Direct website:
   " We should like to emphasise that Speakers Corner Records on principle only uses the original master tape as the basis for the entirely analogue cutting of lacquer discs. In addition, the pressing tool is newly manufactured as a matter of principle. We have one digital recording in our catalogue (Alan Parsons / Eye In The Sky), but even in this particular case we used the analogue tapes for cutting."  I didn't realise 'Eye In The Sky' was a digital recording.:)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, YCC said:

After initial disappointment, this newish Ray Davies LP is growing on me, the more I listen the more I like it. The SQ on CD is very good too.

download.jpeg

:thumb:Albums that grow on you can turn into favourites! This is what annoys me about a lot of negative album reviews, do the hacks even listen to the release a second (or third) time, just let it grow on them a little? Like you with the above experience, I have a lot of albums that I have not been impressed with on first listen but after three or four listens, find myself warming to them, even loving them. With a lot of music, familiarity breeds only positive reactions and loving acceptance.:) Surely reviewers know this.....or are they just too cool?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4

@stevoz...I guess with so much music out there, sometimes they sound samey, it doesn't stand out. This LP has strong melodies (which I like) and the lyrics are above average too. Also, Ray's backing band the Jayhawks sounds good too, especially their vocalist who duets with Ray on couple tracks. Now I'm gonna check out the Jayhawks music!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

We have one digital recording in our catalogue (Alan Parsons / Eye In The Sky), but even in this particular case we used the analogue tapes for cutting."  I didn't realise 'Eye In The Sky' was a digital recording.:)

Eye In The Sky was I think the first record I bought when they started sticking these damn stickers on the sleeve that would spoil the cover if you tried to lift them off.

5a7569847ae34_eyeinthesky.jpg.2eb63f671545583967ab07541910c3e4.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

:thumb:Albums that grow on you can turn into favourites! This is what annoys me about a lot of negative album reviews, do the hacks even listen to the release a second (or third) time, just let it grow on them a little? Like you with the above experience, I have a lot of albums that I have not been impressed with on first listen but after three or four listens, find myself warming to them, even loving them. With a lot of music, familiarity breeds only positive reactions and loving acceptance.:) Surely reviewers know this.....or are they just too cool?

If ever there was a music fan that implored people to give an album more than a cursory single spin, it would be me. I have been trying to convince people that it is just not possible to "Know" an album sufficiently enough after one spin to be able to determine if you like it or not. Many people say it didn't light a fuse or it was not my type of music or whatever. Sure, if you played rap music to someone who really hates rap music, you'd probably have a hard time convincing them that the album was worth hearing and thus persevering with. However, with so many sub genre now littering the lists of possible musical categories, it behooves people to give something a fair listen. I would hate to have to count the number of albums that were put aside temporarily after only 1 or 2 spins but after repeated plays, the song structure and patterns developed an awareness in my brain to the point that the album could easily become a real favourite.

Playing an album once and then discarding it does not really make sense to me as repeated plays often turns up a real winner as you alluded to before.

Having been a music reviewer for many years, I was sent material from all around the globe and gave each album a fair listen before even contemplating putting pen to paper. I am SO glad I did as I discovered a heap of amazing bands and artists that were totally unknown to me before receiving the CDs.

My formula is 4-6 plays then make a decision. If it doesn't work after 6 then you probably have reason to move on. Other people will have a different set of criteria by which they determine what works best for them but I know my formula works really well for me.

Case in point, I obtained the latest album by Dutch band Kayak, entitled "Seventeen" recently and after one spin had to put it aside due to more pressing issues around the house. It wasn't until a full week had passed before I had time to properly get stuck into it again and after another 3-4 spins, it has worked its magic really well. (The album is a stunner BTW). Not only can I can sing along to parts of the songs that I now know, the choruses and general structures are well enough entrenched in my cranial void that I almost know what song comes next. That level of familiarity would simply not be possible after only one spin.

I think we did a poll on this some time ago with some interesting results but I was amazed at how many members made a decision to ditch  after only one play.

My other issue I have however, is that as a serious music fan, I find it increasingly annoying that I need to spend so much time listening to new music before it does become familiar. If I was able to eliminate the time required to endure the first 4 spins so that I knew it after the 5th, then I would have time to rate and review more music. As it is now with so many titles, I simply don't have that time.

Glad you mentioned this subject again but each to their own as I always say.

Y.M.M.V.

• Like 5

@YCC Can one have enough of Mariachi?;-), not quite Mariachi, but some tracks have a synth Mex like trumpet!

For me the answer is yes, these dynamic sound records should be administered in small quantities only! I do have a soft spot for King Records though, but generally don't end up keeping them all.

DSCN2113.JPG

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, stevoz said:

I hear ya.        Teenage Fanclubs new album is a classic example of this.  First few listens I just said boring - I think I was expecting them to sound like their youth, although they are now in their 50's.

Spinning it this morning, and its just started to click - I am now digging this album.    Its full of subtleties and slight chord changes with a more laid back musical style that bypassed me at first.

39168329745_bc5384836c_b.jpg

• Like 4

image.png.aaef7b4ae47254196392019d9de2fbc2.png

Dynamic Duo knocks it out of the park again.   Cracklin CD.  Everything about flies.   Recorded pretty much live in the studio apparently.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
double image
  • Like 3

rickspringfield-thesnakeking.jpg

Rick does Blues and Rock n Roll.    Rick has been nothing but consistent over his 17 Albums.  At 68yrs old he is still turning out some grand tunes.   This one is Rockin fun.   A song entitled 'Jesus was an Atheist' should go down a treat in the USA :lol:                           

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman