Best DAC to revive digital listening

Congratulations on where you find yourself with digital sounds Clive! 

I'd be really keen to hear what your thoughts are on how the Sigma goes in Amp direct mode (if you can bring yourself to experiment a bit) . My old  CD5s you heard at Hugh's has a 'normal' analogue preamp section and R2R dac chip plus extra valve rectifiers and 6h30 output valves. A few reviewers in Europe say that the Sabre chip and digital volume control in the Sigma isn't too far behind though so a few of us would be keen to learn how that Sigma value equation could stack up by ditching a pre in a digital only setup. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, christosd said:

I'd be really keen to hear what your thoughts are on how the Sigma goes in Amp direct mode (if you can bring yourself to experiment a bit) . My old  CD5s you heard at Hugh's has a 'normal' analogue preamp section and R2R dac chip plus extra valve rectifiers and 6h30 output valves. A few reviewers in Europe say that the Sabre chip and digital volume control in the Sigma isn't too far behind though so a few of us would be keen to learn how that Sigma value equation could stack up by ditching a pre in a digital only setup. 

Aahh yes, I was left impressed by it's analog reproduction quality- it was my first encounter with Ayon!

6H30 tubes are very popular and widely used, in fact my CJ pre has them. 

I have indeed planned to use the inbuilt pre and will be happy to give my impressions.

Ideally would like a few extra ears to get a more subjective group opinion, but might have to be solely at present. 

Stay tuned! ?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, evil c said:

Aahh yes, I was left impressed by it's analog reproduction quality- it was my first encounter with Ayon!

6H30 tubes are very popular and widely used, in fact my CJ pre has them. 

I have indeed planned to use the inbuilt pre and will be happy to give my impressions.

Ideally would like a few extra ears to get a more subjective group opinion, but might have to be solely at present. 

Stay tuned! ?

Say no more about it...I would be happy to avail you of my 'golden ear' to give an unbiased opinion/impression of your Ayon's performance...no charge! ??

Edited by BLAH BLAH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

this is an interesting one from WBF - a member posted there. looks good to me

Aug 12, 2018
For 2 Months, I had added DAC comparison test.

So, my subjective DACs ranking list is various.

The way of comparison test is that I visit Korean distributor's HI FI room with my Trinity DAC, Formula xHD, and Terminator, and compare best DACs.

My new DACs Ranking List is include Aries Cerat flagship model.

Kassandra flagship model's score is made by users' reviews.

Here is my [Subjective] Best DACs Ranking List (only PCM comparison) :

Famous DACs Quality Ranking List

1st : Select DAC II Full Option - 100%

2nd : Kassandra MKII Sig LE - 96%

3nd : Trinity DAC - 91%

4th : d1-Twelve - 90%

5th : Atlantis DAC - 89%

6th : Reference DAC Full Option - 87%

7th : Vivaldi 4 Stacks / Vivaldi One - 87%

8th : Pacific DAC - 86%

8th : C1 + X1 + T1 - 86%

10th : d1-Seven - 82%

11th : Golden Gate 2 - 81%

12th : Formula xHD - 78%

13th : d1-Six - 76.5%

14th : Golden Gate - 75.5%

15th : Terminator - 73%

16th : d1-tube-mk II - 72%

17th : La Scala MK II Optologic - 70%

18th : Golden Atlantic - 67%

19th : Venus - 61%

19th : HD DAC - 61%

21th : QX-5 Twenty - 59%

21th : C8 - 59%

23th : MPD-5 - 56%

24th : DA 2 - 55%

25th : Dave - 53%

26th : Manhattan II - 51%

27th : DirectStream - 50%

28th : Spring DAC LV. 3 KTE - 45.5%

29th : DAC 8 DSD - 44%

30th : Yggdrasil - 40%

31th : BDA-3 - 38.5%

32th : Brooklyn + - 35%

This is just my subjective list.

I hope you read for fun~!
  • Love 2

On 05/09/2020 at 8:13 AM, christosd said:

Ok I was motivated enough to switch to the direct into my Bryston 4B3 the other day.

While not a controlled or extended assessment,  my initial impressions are the sound was drier and perhaps leaner than with the CJ preamp in the path.

So with just the one set of tubes of the Ayon and shorter path, it didn't quite deliver what I was hoping for. 

However it is possible it was a more accurate less colored presentation,  and that can often be boring to a lot of people. 

I would suggest it needs more listening and more ears (eventually ) to form an opinion. 

On a side note, right from the start of receiving the Ayon DAC-  I have had ongoing problems with the remote control intermittently not working.

It has now progressed to not working at all, and I have of course tried replacing the batteries and even reversed them as advised in the manual to help re-initialize the microchip.

I am still waiting to hear back from the HiFi dealer I bought it from. ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, evil c said:

So with just the one set of tubes of the Ayon and shorter path, it didn't quite deliver what I was hoping for. 

However it is possible it was a more accurate less colored presentation,  and that can often be boring to a lot of people. 

Bingo!

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Bummer,
I really hope you get that sorted out soon Clive. A really upsetting turn of events  :(

The HiFi retailer has just been in contact and is trying to organize another remote for me.

Very happy with their response so far! ?

31 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Bingo!

Yeah need lot's of tubey distortion to get the seductive quality! ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, evil c said:

The HiFi retailer has just been in contact and is trying to organize another remote for me.

Mmmm, should be interesting to see what you think of the Muji Studio DAC II..... If it's coloured, tubey goodness you're after..... Well, the Muji has it. Rose tinted I call it  ;)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, evil c said:

I am glad they did so. As I mentioned, my remote always worked, so hopefully you can enjoy the full potential of Ayon Dac soon. Without a remote you can't get proper functions from the buttons on the dac itself.

• Like 1

Latest update is my remote is now fully operational  - the problem lay in pressing the right button(s)!

Or rather the only one I hadn't pressed! 

Thanks @Darren69 ??

8 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Mmmm, should be interesting to see what you think of the Muji Studio DAC II..... If it's coloured, tubey goodness you're after..... Well, the Muji has it. Rose tinted I call it  ;)

Really looking forward to trying it out thanks Matt!?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, evil c said:

Latest update is my remote is now fully operational  - the problem lay in pressing the right button(s)!

Or rather the only one I hadn't pressed! 

Thanks @Darren69 ??

Really looking forward to trying it out thanks Matt!?

oops, did you not press "DAC" first??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TDX said:

oops, did you not press "DAC" first??

I caught it off Darren! ?

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

I did this once, got a brand new remote in the cupboard if anyone is looking for one....

Comforting , a back up for when my mind totally goes! ?

So the moral of the story is don't cover up you're an idiot like Darren69 did, be loud and proud like me - and hopefully someone smarter will put you on the right path before it costs you big time! ?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, evil c said:

So the moral of the story is don't cover up you're an idiot like Darren69 did, be loud and proud like me - and hopefully someone smarter will put you on the right path before it costs you big time! ?

The most ironic thing I have ever read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, evil c said:

but Darren was the smarter person who helped...    :)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, scuzzii said:

But I was smarter to be stupid- or was it visa versa??

2 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

But it cost him more! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, evil c said:

I didn't think about this either so not your fault (hopefully) :D 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

'Some of you may die.....

but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make....'

Lord Farquaad. Shrek.

I didn't mean it to come out that way, anyway you have my gratitude Sensei! ?

• Haha 1