Best DAC to revive digital listening

In the current lockdown,  I like many others have struggled to maintain my enthusiasm for my system. 

More than happy with the analog side after a few tweaks , but my Chord Qutest while a very nice DAC - just can't help feeling I'm missing something! (Besides golf and fishing!) ?

So after a brief investigation and talking with someone in the audio industry - it seems there are certainly better DACs out there than the Qutest. 

So I would appreciate input from more knowledgeable/ enlightened people on a good update path and brands / models to consider. 

Know @MattyW likes R2R and Phillips chips plus a few Holo fans out there. 

Valves in the DAC stage are certainly welcome. 

Budget is yet to be decided but most likely sub 5k.

Anyway please let me know your thoughts. 

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I have been listening to this one for a while now and it is really nice indeed. Very smooth and linear but not at the expense of detail. Good value as well.

https://line-magnetic.com.au/portfolio-item/lm-32dac/

Have a chat to our mutual good  friend @Grizzly

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2

I have had a  Qutest in my system briefly.

Of the dacs that I have heard in my system, if you are willing to buy second hand, I would suggest considering any of the following which I found more "engaging": 

Schiit Yggdrasil (perhaps not as clean as Qutest, but more detailed and better imaging)

Holo Audio Spring (cleaner and punchier with a bit more bass)

PS Audio Directstream or Junior (noise floor is higher, but otherwise an excellent allrounder that sounds very fluid, without losing detail. Perhaps warmer than the others

(All subjective impressions, as my ears don't measure)

• Like 1

Ive haven't heard it but his one has its fans.

personally, I'm not convinced it's worth spending a bucket of dosh on a dac. So often it comes down to minor flavours rather than big quality differences.  I don't think you get anything like the same variation changing a dac as, say,  changing a cart, a TT mat, or an amp.  

Why not pick up a used Gieseler Gross or Fein dac, they come up every now and then in the classifieds. Similar RRP to a Qutest but much better bang-for-the-buck and it will give you another reference point. I found it to be more natural sounding and less etchy.

I listen to my system for at least 3-4 hours a day and haven't lost any enthusiasm for it. Toys are nice but refreshing your music is the key.

What are you feeding it with these days?

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 7

@buddyev lots of fans of the Denafrips Ares II. Apparently very smooth, detailed and plenty of "analogue" wetness in the sound. And less than 1/2 the price of the Denafrips Terminator.

However agree that Gross and Fein from Geiseler would be worthy mid-priced 2nd hand contenders.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, evil c said:

In the current lockdown,  I like many others have struggled to maintain my enthusiasm for my system. 

More than happy with the analog side after a few tweaks , but my Chord Qutest while a very nice DAC - just can't help feeling I'm missing something! (Besides golf and fishing!) ?

So after a brief investigation and talking with someone in the audio industry - it seems there are certainly better DACs out there than the Qutest. 

So I would appreciate input from more knowledgeable/ enlightened people on a good update path and brands / models to consider. 

My top vote would be something from Abbas Audio.  I believe his PCM56-K and 63 offerings are meant to be excellent also :)

If performance per dollar is the top consideration though there's a particular TDA1540D DAC out of China is unbeatable ;)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeddie said:

How about  one of Clays?

https://www.gieseler.com.au/

I'm pretty sure Clay allows a free home demo on his Dacs.  

Appreciate your suggestion. 

Always happy to support Aussie products and well acquainted with him! ?

1 hour ago, rantan said:

I have been listening to this one for a while now and it is really nice indeed. Very smooth and linear but not at the expense of detail. Good value as well.

https://line-magnetic.com.au/portfolio-item/lm-32dac/

Have a chat to our mutual good  friend @Grizzly

Cheers for the suggestion. 

40 minutes ago, buddyev said:

personally, I'm not convinced it's worth spending a bucket of dosh on a dac. So often it comes down to minor flavours rather than big quality differences.  I don't think you get anything like the same variation changing a dac as, say,  changing a cart, a TT mat, or an amp.  

Why not pick up a used Gieseler Gross or Fein dac, they come up every now and then in the classifieds. Similar RRP to a Qutest but much better bang-for-the-buck and it will give you another reference point. I found it to be more natural sounding and less etchy.

I listen to my system for at least 3-4 hours a day and haven't lost any enthusiasm for it. Toys are nice but refreshing your music is the key.

Hi Russ,

Nice to hear from you. 

Well that is the million dollar question,  whether an upmarket DAC  will lift my digital collection to a level where I say "stuff it I'll just give the vinyl a rest"! ?

I'm a realist and pragmatist at heart, when I'm not being swept up by the latest whim! 

I just want to lessen the insurmountable gulf so I get more use from both. ?

But lot of DACs at 10k plus leave me questioning the value of occasional digital listening, would want to be pretty sizable for that level of investment !

Certainly have been extending my range of music, but it's an itch I feel I need to scratch.

Always good to try before buying in an ideal world, so I'll see what comes up and try and narrow it down.

Still have the Meridian 506 and 508.24 CD players plus a Bluesound node 2i streamer. 

Whether they're up to the task, with a kick@rse DAC is another matter! 

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, andyr said:

@Ittaku, why don't you tell Clive the make and model of your DAC?  :)

Um, best I don't Andy, as my DAC costs $70K (though I'd highly recommend it as the best DAC available anywhere.)

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Well, I have done exactly that, WFH was getting a bit of a drudge and I wanted to spruce it up, so I went for a new DAC with streaming capability in the form of an Auralic Vega G2.1. Maybe not cheap, not made in Oz, but I have to say it has completely reinvigorated my music listening. Doesn't fit in your sub 5k range, but I started off looking at more modest DACs and just seemed to go upwards from there, quite funny really, but I am glad I did. The ease of streaming stuff is an added bonus and I'm not playing anywhere near as much vinyl as I used to. Currently using it as a pre into my ME850.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

My expertly curated music stream   ( "I listen to my system for at least 3-4 hours a day and haven't lost any enthusiasm for it. Toys are nice but refreshing your music is the key." )

keeps me informed with new music every day. It's called FM radio, largely a diet of PBS with a side helping of RRR.

Band's bandcamp pages have plenty of FLAC to buy, support your artists!

regards Ian

ps: buddyev, Oz jazz purchases of late:

Mike Nock, Julien Wilson: This World

https://lionsharecords.com/album/this-world

higher res if you want it

https://lionsharecords.com/album/this-world-hd-24bit-96khz

JK Group: The Young Ones

https://joshkelly.bandcamp.com/album/the-young-ones

regards Ian

• Like 1

I recommend this DAC over a few of the others you mentioned.

https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=97

Myself and a few other forum members have this and we are loving and enjoying it.   Tube rolling gives you that missing feeling that you're not getting with solid state DACs.   One tube can change the sound just like that...  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, muon* said:

New one from Denafrips, the Pontus.

So many choices, so many flavors, It's a DAC jungle out there :fear:

Having heard the little Denafrips Ares I'd say any of those is a pretty safe choice as well. 

I still prefer a well implemented Phillips TDA though. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Having heard the little Denafrips Ares I'd say any of those is a pretty safe choice as well. 

I still prefer a well implemented Phillips TDA though. ;)

Yeah, I couldn't advise someone as my listening is limited where different DAC's go, but I'm a fan of the two original Philips chips too.

I only know the Denafrips by reputation.

All the best in the hunt, Clive.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

My expertly curated music stream   ( "I listen to my system for at least 3-4 hours a day and haven't lost any enthusiasm for it. Toys are nice but refreshing your music is the key." )

keeps me informed with new music every day. It's called FM radio, largely a diet of PBS with a side helping of RRR.

Band's bandcamp pages have plenty of FLAC to buy, support your artists!

regards Ian

ps: buddyev, Oz jazz purchases of late:

Mike Nock, Julien Wilson: This World

https://lionsharecords.com/album/this-world

higher res if you want it

https://lionsharecords.com/album/this-world-hd-24bit-96khz

JK Group: The Young Ones

https://joshkelly.bandcamp.com/album/the-young-ones

regards Ian

Thanks @Ian McP, downloading as we speak. Can't remember the last time I saw Mike Nock live, but it yonks ago.

How about replacing your Bluesound Node with something like the Auralic Altair G1? Same basic functionality and you can also use the internal dac for your CDP via a bunch of digital ins. I don’t own one but based on the press they are getting, I’d bloody well like to :) 

Roon ready or I use their lightning DS app with an Aries mini and I really rate it. Plus it’s in the budget and you can even sell the node to help fund

Recently reviewed by a very prestigious publication

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/auralic-altair-g1-streaming-dac-preamplifier-review

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Clive, I reckon if you're contemplating a high end $10k dac you really should rethink the whole digital chain. I'm pretty sure that bluesound would be a bottleneck. 

I said at that level it left me cold , hence why I'm more in the sub $5k bracket.

It could however be a $10k DAC selling for my price level 2nd hand! :)

47 minutes ago, petng said:

If you only playing Redbook I would suggest a AN dac. Timeless musicality. There is a 2.1x in the classifieds.

Have a tendency to stream a lot from Tidal, Radio Paradise,  and a smattering of high res.

Hardly used my CDP in the last 6 months.

49 minutes ago, andyr said:

@Ittaku, why don't you tell Clive the make and model of your DAC?  :)

@evil c the issue will be ... can you afford the purchase?  (Of course, if you sold your vinyl gear ... it might just about cover it!  :lol:

Andy

Vinyl stays till I did Andy! ?

I can sell the Qutest to add to my modest bugetet.

51 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Um, best I don't Andy, as my DAC costs $70K.

Nah that's fine,  oh well a loan is out I spose! ?

51 minutes ago, Marc said:

Just a cheapie MSB (it's in your sig!) :)

Huh??? ?