Will hifi shops in Victoria be closed with State 4?

Hi folks,

would the state 4 mean hifi shops to be closed from Wednesday? Those are not essential business and government wants to reduce workforce to minimum.

I have a few orders from Melbourne and thrilled to see what is happening in Melbourne 

hope you are all safe,

Edited by ikhuong

Bad news, i need some shop change over service too, if technicians are sent home, my orders won’t go anywhere. a headphone back to Addicted to audio In Melbourne for work too

Edited by ikhuong

13 hours ago, Marc said:

Yes, all closed from 11:59 PM Wednesday. Some I am aware of will still ship orders out however.

Marc I'm sure this has likely been discussed amongst the mod team but what are the implications for Vic based classifieds? I for one think that we should suspend any pick up only ads in Vic to support the new round of restrictions regarding travel.

I'm sure people will be tempted to drive across town to pick up equipment if a good deal comes along. Couriers are still operating normally, albeit with possible shipping delays so some form of trade can still occur for most pieces of equipment.

• Like 1

• Administrator

At the end of the day, the restrictions are above and beyond StereoNET and our authority. The rules are clear, you should not be leaving your home.

If someone wants to stupidly run that risk then that's between them and the authorities. I know I wouldn't allow pickup were I selling something at the moment, so I trust other sellers to also do the right thing.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

At the end of the day, the restrictions are above and beyond StereoNET and our authority. The rules are clear, you should not be leaving your home.

If someone wants to stupidly run that risk then that's between them and the authorities. I know I wouldn't allow pickup were I selling something at the moment, so I trust other sellers to also do the right thing.

I agree, people need to follow local rules and I trust most Australians do the right thing when the government is clear and sensible about new rules , SNA is not an enforcement force to approve/disapprove a trade negotiation as people tick on "Pickup available but audition is not available" or "Pickup available and you can audition". You cannot go every private message to see how people arrange.

As this is unprecedented time and event, I would suggest @Marc and moderators to be  diligent to educate people to do the right things in trading activities  (which potentially spread the Covid-19 among households) and this is to endorse seriousness of government demands 

for example: generate an auto message warning in new Ads to ask people to ensure to follow the right rule of local council rule in pickup activities 

Edited by ikhuong

• Administrator

I appreciate your intentions are good.

With all respect @ikhuong - and while I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say, it's not as easy as just "generating an auto message". We don't have the luxury of full-time web developers and you don't just click a button for that to happen. It's custom coding which takes time, and then testing across all devices and browsers. 

We trust the community to do the right thing, and if they don't, then that is between them and the law and authorities. 

I think the message is wide and clear for all about what you are, and are not allowed to do, and via the official channels. While I pledge my personal support behind the current VIC restrictions, StereoNET is not authorised nor has a responsibility to broadcast the message or enforce the rules and restrictions. COVID-19 is already having a devastating effect on the world - and many turn to StereoNET to escape that and for a sense of normality. Let's allow this place to continue without constant COVID-19 reminders and putting what is going on in the world in front of everyone's eyes here as well.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

As this is unprecedented time and event, I would suggest @Marc and moderators to be  diligent to educate people to do the right things in trading activities  (which potentially spread the Covid-19 among households) and this is to endorse seriousness of government demands 

OR,

Sensible and responsible adults can obey the law and understand that visitation to collect or audition gear is unlawful and remain at home. IMO, it is not up to Stereonet or any other website to interpret and enforce the law.

That is the job of the police and the justice system.

With resect, why should moderators and the admin of the site be responsible for informing people about that with which they should inform themselves.

• Like 9

Just checking, does a trip to the local post office to post hifi equipment considered non-essential in Stage 4 situation? 

Only courier can come and pick up or drop off parcel?

Edited by att23

Agree that SNA is at the end of the day a private platform and its not the jobs of the mods to enforce the law. But it is a platform that enables trade and some people will continue to do so regardless of whatever restrictions are in place. Will people do the right thing? If the lines at Bunnings are anything to go by, while there are incentives to get out and about, people will do just that.

Humbly suggest that a good middle ground solution is to place a reminder in the pro-forma for classifieds to follow the local gov restrictions with regards to pick up. What members subsequently decide to do privately is then an issue between them and local authorities.

• Like 1

What are the acceptable reasons for leaving home?

There are four approved reasons for leaving the house:

• Shopping for food or other essential items
  • To provide care giving, for compassionate reasons or to seek medical treatment
  • For exercise (outdoor exercise only, with only one other person or members of your household)
  • Work or study, if you cannot work or study from home

Collecting hi fi does not appear to fit any of the above criteria.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, att23 said:

Just checking, does a trip to the local post office to post hifi equipment considered non-essential in Stage 4 situation? 

Post Offices are open.  I have a PO Box so I assume that I can pick up my post articles.  Whether I can post something is another question?

John

• Like 1

Use sendle. They will come and pick up from your address and deliver to another address and pricing is very competitive with auspost. I understand not everyone has had a perfect experience with them but that will be the case with any well-patronised business. I’ve had only good experiences with them. 

• Like 4

Just now, t_mike said:

Maybe @Marc could also put up a message not to speed between pick up location and home to avoid authorities, as speeding is also an offence. 

Pfft!!!  We're all adults, just do the right thing.

"Well, Your Honour, there was nothing specific on the hifi forum that said I shouldn’t murder him, so..."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

"Well, Your Honour, there was nothing specific on the hifi forum that said I shouldn’t murder him, so..."

in my defense, he was flipping the item and that is frowned upon your Honour

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• Administrator
1 hour ago, rantan said:

What are the acceptable reasons for leaving home?

There are four approved reasons for leaving the house:

• Shopping for food or other essential items
  • To provide care giving, for compassionate reasons or to seek medical treatment
  • For exercise (outdoor exercise only, with only one other person or members of your household)
  • Work or study, if you cannot work or study from home

Collecting hi fi does not appear to fit any of the above criteria.

Unfortunately there are some mixed messages. While retailers are closed, they are allowed to offer click and collect. "Essential" is a grey area.

So can I purchase a new amplifier, pay over the phone, and then travel across town to 'collect' it? I believe, technically this is allowed. 

Again, the 'essential' is grey and I believe this might be intentional, because at the end of the day the gov't wants the economy to continue ticking over as much as possible despite the restrictions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Marc said:

Unfortunately there are some mixed messages. While retailers are closed, they are allowed to offer click and collect. "Essential" is a grey area.

So can I purchase a new amplifier, pay over the phone, and then travel across town to 'collect' it? I believe, technically this is allowed. 

Again, the 'essential' is grey and I believe this might be intentional, because at the end of the day the gov't wants the economy to continue ticking over as much as possible despite the restrictions.

Unfortunately 'grey' means the poor old (generally 'young'!) copper on the beat has to deal with this.

Andy,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I don't think driving across town to pick a amplifier up is allowed Marc. 5km radius from where you live. Most retail businesses will operate online and only allow delivery services. Audiotrends are only doing online orders only. Good time to have shares in Aust post.

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Unfortunately 'grey' means the poor old (generally 'young'!) copper on the beat has to deal with this.

Andy,

Don’t go and get maccas in Point Cook and you’ll be fine Andy.....:D

Unconfirmed Reports saids that Daniel Andrews want people to have a permit to travel for on site and essential services.  Apparently your work  need to put your case forward so a permit can be issued.

The rules remains, you can only travel no more than 5km radius from your place of residence, you’re only allowed out to get food, exercise, essential work etc...   Everything is off limits starting Thurs Morning.

I would hope that all who buy/sell are respectful of the changed conditions in Victoria, and are willing to provide flexibility so that Victorians are able comply with the new restrictions (eg. allowing collection of a purchase when restrictions are eased).  As much as the Victorian restrictions are inconvenient and annoying, we can't loose sight of the fact that this virus has the potential to get out of control anywhere, and there is always the potential that other states will require a similar response at some stage in the future. 

Straight from the DHHS website.  "Stay within 5km from home for shopping and exercise.  Use the map on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website to see how far you are allowed to travel from your home under the stage 4 restrictions."

Use this guideline and common sense to work out if leaving home for purchase or pick up of hifi is reasonable given the dire circumstances we find ourselves in.

Even using delivery services is putting people at risk.  There's COVID19 outbreaks in the delivery warehouse system.  Do you really want some item delivered to your house that's potentially been handled by someone with COVID19? 

Six weeks folks, surely hifi can wait six weeks?

• Like 10