Please help - 2 channel stereo setup

I’m hoping you knowledgeable people can help me out.

I originally posted a thread seeking help on selecting a suitable AV receiver and speakers (fronts and centre) for a 3.1 setup. I was originally planning on getting a 7.2 receiver as I may (a very unlikely may) end up getting some surround L/R built into the wall.

The other day I went into a local Hi-Fi store and demoed a number of speakers and decided to buy the Wharfedale D320 bookshelf speakers (we were very impressed with the sound from such tiny speakers) and the Wharfedale D300c as I was initially set on a 3.1 setup through an AV receiver.

However, upon reading up on a few forums and receiving advice from knowledgable people on other AV forums, it sounds like I’d be better off going for a stereo amplifier and buying two bookshelf speakers. I never considered this as I always thought a 2 channel setup would result in poor audio quality for film/TV, especially dialogue.

I currently use a JBL Cinema SB 450 (soundbar) hooked up to my TV via optical (the Arc HDMI input has gone - either on the SB or my TV). I only have a PS4, 4K player and Apple TV 4K hooked up to my TV.  For music I use a Bose Wave SoundTouch.

I’m looking to buy a setup to replace the soundbar and Bose Wave to improve on the sound quality, the major issue with the soundbar is the dialogue.  My partner has hearing problems so we’re having to have subtitles on all the time. We don’t want the setup to be too big (ie floor standing speakers) as the room it will be in is used a lot for having friends over, so we don’t want the setup to be a dominant feature of the room.

Whatever setup I get I’ll be using it equally for music and film/TV. I haven’t got a turntable yet but will be looking to get one soon.

I may cancel my speaker order tomorrow and use advice from members to buy a suitable system.

I do have a reasonable budget for the system, but was hoping not to go above $3k. If I do go for a 2 channel stereo system, I’d probably need a sub too so that would need to be factored in.  Is $3k going to be enough to buy me a 2 channel stereo setup that will out perform my current soundbar? If so, what amp and speakers should I consider - will the D320s be ok to keep? We don’t want floorstanding speakers and the bookshelf speakers will sit on top of our entertainment unit on either side of the TV.

As most of my music listening is done via streaming, should I get an amp with Wi-Fi or can this be done through phone / computer? Or would it be best to get a stereo amp and a DAC with streaming capabilities? 

Or should I stick with an AV receiver with a 3.1 setup?

If it helps my living room is 5.8m x 3.8.  About 2m x 3.8 is not used for entertaining as it is an empty space with some wall furniture and one seat that we use for reading.  We sit about 2.5 metres from the TV. The room is also carpeted.

Edited by YippeKiYay
Added a question - streaming centre

Guest Mick80

I'm in a similar position, I'd chose 'real' speakers any day over a soundbar though- "there's no replacement for displacement" as they say.

Check out these 3 way Wharfedale Evo 4.2s bookshelves for example:

https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/evo4-2/

They're what I'm looking at picking up for around AUS$1700

Combine with a decent sub on a 2.1 and it should easily fill that room size.

I stream/play CD's via an AVR with a hp elitedesk mini PC on WIFI and a single CD player. I also have a PS4 hooked in.

On 01/06/2020 at 8:17 PM, YippeKiYay said:

The other day I went into a local Hi-Fi store and demoed a number of speakers and decided to buy the Wharfedale D320 bookshelf speakers (we were very impressed with the sound from such tiny speakers) and the Wharfedale D300c as I was initially set on a 3.1 setup through an AV receiver.

However, upon reading up on a few forums and receiving advice from knowledgable people on other AV forums, it sounds like I’d be better off going for a stereo amplifier and buying two bookshelf speakers. I never considered this as I always thought a 2 channel setup would result in poor audio quality for film/TV, especially dialogue.

I currently use a JBL Cinema SB 450 (soundbar) hooked up to my TV via optical (the Arc HDMI input has gone - either on the SB or my TV). I only have a PS4, 4K player and Apple TV 4K hooked up to my TV.  For music I use a Bose Wave SoundTouch.

I’m looking to buy a setup to replace the soundbar and Bose Wave to improve on the sound quality, the major issue with the soundbar is the dialogue.  My partner has hearing problems so we’re having to have subtitles on all the time. We don’t want the setup to be too big (ie floor standing speakers) as the room it will be in is used a lot for having friends over, so we don’t want the setup to be a dominant feature of the room.

Whatever setup I get I’ll be using it equally for music and film/TV. I haven’t got a turntable yet but will be looking to get one soon.

I may cancel my speaker order tomorrow and use advice from members to buy a suitable system.

I do have a reasonable budget for the system, but was hoping not to go above $3k. If I do go for a 2 channel stereo system, I’d probably need a sub too so that would need to be factored in.  Is $3k going to be enough to buy me a 2 channel stereo setup that will out perform my current soundbar? If so, what amp and speakers should I consider - will the D320s be ok to keep? We don’t want floorstanding speakers and the bookshelf speakers will sit on top of our entertainment unit on either side of the TV.

As most of my music listening is done via streaming, should I get an amp with Wi-Fi or can this be done through phone / computer? Or would it be best to get a stereo amp and a DAC with streaming capabilities? 

Or should I stick with an AV receiver with a 3.1 setup?

If you get speakers that give you clarity and great timing it will be easier to hear details in dialogue. 

I would vote for good stereo setup over 3.1 .

If you buy some things second hand then you could get a better deal.

If you buy new then here is an option for speakers:

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-13322-bowers-wilkins-606-bookshelf-speakers-open-box-special.aspx 
Get a price match locally if you can after auditioning them. 
There are other good options.

Get an integrated amp with optical in.

If you get an amp that no streaming built in then look around for something like bluenode or wxc-50.

There are a fair few options and suggestions on the forum recently for similar budgets and setups.

The key point is that to get good dialogue you need good speakers and you need to place them well. Most of the time I prefer a good stereo setup over ok 5.1. 5.1 is nice for effects but not all movies are about effects so better amp and speakers win if it's not about effects. At least for me.

• Like 2

Thanks @Mick80

So, the store was very accommodating as OK with me cancelling the order and using the money towards better speakers. I think I'm going to go down the path of an integrated stereo amp with a decent DAC to put everything through. 

I spoke with the guy over the phone and as I'm keen to get an integrated amp with streaming capabilities he's suggesting a Primare i15 Prisma. It sounds like a great piece of equipment but that's what I was expecting to pay for stereo amp and speakers. He also suggested the Hegel 90 (he admitted he is a bit biased when it comes to this brand). Luckily they will allow me to test a couple of amps with speakers to listen to music and a movie - I just need to give them a heads up before showing up at the store. 

As I don't want to rush and buy an expensive system, I'm considering buying a cheaper stereo receiver for now, which I can sell on when I decide on a system I want for the long-term. Admittedly I'm very 'green' when it comes to Hi-Fi related stuff so I hope I don't get hoodwinked into something I'm going to regret. 

• Like 1

Both Hegel and Primare are great brands. For music it's more about personal taste but for movies I would go with Primare because it has clearer sound with plenty of details. 

+

DAC: AKM AK4490

RCA: 1 x stereo analogue pair

3.5 mm: 1 x stereo analogue/digital

RCA: 1 x digital input

Toslink: 3 x digital inputs

USB-B: 1 x digital input

RCA Outputs: 1 x stereo analogue pair line output, 1 x stereo analogue pair PRE output - can connect 2 subwoofers

pismaconnectivity and control

USB-A x 1

Ethernet x1

WiFi

AirPlay

Bluetooth

Chromecast built-in

Spotify Connect

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

I spoke with the guy over the phone and as I'm keen to get an integrated amp with streaming capabilities he's suggesting a Primare i15 Prisma. It sounds like a great piece of equipment but that's what I was expecting to pay for stereo amp and speakers. He also suggested the Hegel 90 (he admitted he is a bit biased when it comes to this brand). Luckily they will allow me to test a couple of amps with speakers to listen to music and a movie - I just need to give them a heads up before showing up at the store. 

Trust your ears.  If you like them during the audition, and within your budget, go for it.  Music is often a personal preference.

• Like 1

Primare i15 Prisma is your budget, without speakers :)

Marantz PM 7000N is another option to audition for an all in one.

If you are looking at that price range then really make sure you test a range of speakers with each amp.

One thing I listen to during auditions is music of live recordings. There tend to be tracks with crowds cheering or making noise. Good amp and speakers will result in the listener being able to make out the band, the singer, the other singers, the crowd. Bring your own music and listen to see how well you get the detail that you want to hear, and what sounds best to you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irek said:

Both Hegel and Primare are great brands. For music it's more about personal taste but for movies I would go with Primare because it has clearer sound with plenty of details. 

+

DAC: AKM AK4490

RCA: 1 x stereo analogue pair

3.5 mm: 1 x stereo analogue/digital

RCA: 1 x digital input

Toslink: 3 x digital inputs

USB-B: 1 x digital input

RCA Outputs: 1 x stereo analogue pair line output, 1 x stereo analogue pair PRE output - can connect 2 subwoofers

pismaconnectivity and control

USB-A x 1

Ethernet x1

WiFi

AirPlay

Bluetooth

Chromecast built-in

Spotify Connect

Yes the Primare looks like a great product. I understand the streaming is done through their app, however, I was concerned after reading some of the reviews of the app on Google Play store. Apparently, they updated/replaced a previous app for the Prisma range, which left people with no ability to use the streaming function on the prior models. The reviews were from 2019, so who knows if the matter has been resolved. 

Stupid question. Do you know if hi-res audio can be streamed directly through the Primare system, or do I need another device?

11 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Trust your ears.  If you like them during the audition, and within your budget, go for it.  Music is often a personal preference.

I agree. I don't want to rush into this, so I'll make sure to take my time.

4 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Primare i15 Prisma is your budget, without speakers :)

Marantz PM 7000N is another option to audition for an all in one.

If you are looking at that price range then really make sure you test a range of speakers with each amp.

One thing I listen to during auditions is music of live recordings. There tend to be tracks with crowds cheering or making noise. Good amp and speakers will result in the listener being able to make out the band, the singer, the other singers, the crowd. Bring your own music and listen to see how well you get the detail that you want to hear, and what sounds best to you.

There aren't many places to test equipment out over here. And the issue is the speakers I want to try aren't in the same place where the amps are.  I will definitely take some music to test out. 

11 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

Stupid question. Do you know if hi-res audio can be streamed directly through the Primare system, or do I need another device?

Do you mean wireless streaming or wired streaming?

Edited by gwurb

17 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

Yes the Primare looks like a great product. I understand the streaming is done through their app, however, I was concerned after reading some of the reviews of the app on Google Play store. Apparently, they updated/replaced a previous app for the Prisma range, which left people with no ability to use the streaming function on the prior models. The reviews were from 2019, so who knows if the matter has been resolved. 

The best sound quality from Primare you can get by connecting laptop with USB cable. Foobar 2000 is pretty good as well. External CDP would be even better. 

At the beginning the speakers - amp synergy is more important than the source of music. You can easy buy speakers in one shop and take it to another to try different amps.   

36 minutes ago, gwurb said:

Do you mean wireless streaming or wired streaming?

Wireless streaming. 

21 minutes ago, Irek said:

The best sound quality from Primare you can get by connecting laptop with USB cable. Foobar 2000 is pretty good as well. External CDP would be even better. 

At the beginning the speakers - amp synergy is more important than the source of music. You can easy buy speakers in one shop and take it to another to try different amps.   

Thanks Irek

If I were to go for a simple stereo receiver initially so I can take my time to find the right system I want to spend a long time with, would it be worth considering something like a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR-20? I can be quite a procrastinator, so I figure I can always sell this when I decide on a system. 

Edited by YippeKiYay
Include response to Irek

An option to consider and audition at Douglas Hifi are NAD products

https://www.douglashifi.com.au/collections/vendors?q=NAD

The C658 is excellent with many fans here, but you will need add a power amp.

The M10 is also excellent but way beyond your budget new. But there was an expired Classifieds in Perth, maybe it is still available?

Guest DrSK

Heaps of good advice on here already. 

My wife has moderate to severe hearing loss (one ear worse than the other) and uses Phonac Marvel 90s.

I'd recommend good tight clear bookshelf speakers over towers. It is technically more difficult to get clarity on towers compared to book shelfs and you won't achieve it for the same money, all things being equal. Both you and your partner will benefit from the clarity. 

It is also most common for people with hearing problems to have greater loss at mid to high frequency compared to low frequency and there is only so much compensation hearing aids can do. There is a high chance that towers, with the extra low frequency ability, will make it harder for them to hear dialogue as this provides more content that is unrelated or unimportant to speech in the frequency region where they already hear much more compared to where their loss is. This can become unwanted noise in a sense where the aim is instead to improve dialogue and reduce the reliance on sub titles.

Subs etc can also make dialogue harder to pick up for the same reason.

Edited by DrSK

56 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

An option to consider and audition at Douglas Hifi are NAD products

https://www.douglashifi.com.au/collections/vendors?q=NAD

The C658 is excellent with many fans here, but you will need add a power amp.

Thank you for sending me this thread. It has made me realise I know very little about all of this. I guess nows the time to learn. Right? :) 

2 minutes ago, DrSK said:

Heaps of good advice on here already. 

My wife has moderate to severe hearing loss (one ear worse than the other) and uses Phonac Marvel 90s.

I'd recommend good tight clear bookshelf speakers over towers. It is technically more difficult to get clarity on towers compared to book shelfs and you won't achieve it for the same money, all things being equal. Both you and your partner will benefit from the clarity. 

It is most common for people with hearing problems to have greater loss at mid to high frequency compared to low frequency and there is only so much compensation hearing aids can do. There is a high chance that towers, with the extra low frequency ability, will make it harder for them to hear dialogue as this provides more content that is unrelated or unimportant to speech in the frequency region where they already hear much more compared to where their loss is. This can become unwanted noise in a sense where the aim is instead to improve dialogue and reduce the reliance on sub titles.

Subs etc can also make dialogue harder to pick up for the same reason.

Thanks @DrSK. We're not keen on towers, so  this is good to know. 

• Like 1

Guest DrSK
10 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

Thanks @DrSK. We're not keen on towers, so  this is good to know. 

I'd ring Lenehan Audio and see if by any chance they have some 2nd hand ML1 speakers that have been traded in.

The older shape often go for just under $2k.

They are serious hifi that sold for at least double or potentially triple new and were designed with TV viewing in mind as well as music. 

They can sit second hand as they are in some ways odd ball as they are high spec but not full range given their size, many in the hifi market instead prefer the bigger ML2s or his towers. The ML1s do however have good base response for their size. 

Edited by DrSK

On 01/06/2020 at 6:17 PM, YippeKiYay said:

Just a couple of observations.

You pulled the trigger on a set of speakers that "we were very impressed with". Now you have cancelled the order to upgrade without actually taking the original speakers home?  Buying products on advice from members is pure folly! 100 members will have 100 opinions. Certainly seek guidance from forums, but that advice along with online reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone has their pet brands or sound signature that they prefer in their room.

19 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

So, the store was very accommodating as OK with me cancelling the order and using the money towards better speakers. I think I'm going to go down the path of an integrated stereo amp with a decent DAC to put everything through. 

He also suggested the Hegel 90 (he admitted he is a bit biased when it comes to this brand). Luckily they will allow me to test a couple of amps with speakers to listen to music and a movie - I just need to give them a heads up before showing up at the store. 

As I don't want to rush and buy an expensive system, I'm considering buying a cheaper stereo receiver for now, which I can sell on when I decide on a system I want for the long-term. Admittedly I'm very 'green' when it comes to Hi-Fi related stuff so I hope I don't get hoodwinked into something I'm going to regret. 

Sounds like a decent salesman, laying his cards on the table and notifying you of any bias he may have for a product. (My bias is Luxman and Elac) Ultimately letting you decide. Allowing you to test different speakers with different amps is called good service. Nothing to do with luck. Seems like you are in a decent store that ultimately wants you to be happy with your purchase and they seem to be very accommodating. From what I have read I am not sure their motives are to "hoodwink" you.

As Snoop said, buy with your ears. Bringing your own music is a good idea as well. But keep in mind the gear you listen to is not in your room.

I think ultimately you need to read lots of threads, start lots of threads ask lots of questions and come to an understanding of what you want. Is your budget reasonable? Could you get a system that suits you better for a few more dollars? 

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Just a couple of observations.

You pulled the trigger on a set of speakers that "we were very impressed with". Now you have cancelled the order to upgrade without actually taking the original speakers home?  Buying products on advice from members is pure folly! 100 members will have 100 opinions. Certainly seek guidance from forums, but that advice along with online reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone has their pet brands or sound signature that they prefer in their room.

Sounds like a decent salesman, laying his cards on the table and notifying you of any bias he may have for a product. (My bias is Luxman and Elac) Ultimately letting you decide. Allowing you to test different speakers with different amps is called good service. Nothing to do with luck. Seems like you are in a decent store that ultimately wants you to be happy with your purchase and they seem to be very accommodating. From what I have read I am not sure their motives are to "hoodwink" you.

As Snoop said, buy with your ears. Bringing your own music is a good idea as well. But keep in mind the gear you listen to is not in your room.

I think ultimately you need to read lots of threads, start lots of threads ask lots of questions and come to an understanding of what you want. Is your budget reasonable? Could you get a system that suits you better for a few more dollars? 

I cancelled the order as I originally planned on a 3.1 system and they were the only speakers with a small sized centre. Being a Hi-Fi store they also didn't have many speaker brands with a centre speaker. Now I'm looking at a 2 channel setup I am no longer need to worry about the centre speaker.  

I'm seeking opinions from other members with more experience with Hi-FI equipment, and those who own similar products. I don't see this as 'pure folly'.  After all isn't this what the forum is about?

I'm not sure how you saw my post as me being negative about the service I received. I was merely expressing my feelings. I was extremely happy with the service.  I also appreciated his honesty about him being biased re Hegel, it is refreshing rather than a sales rep trying to sell you every product. Also, my comment about me being lucky that they will allow me to try is not a criticism either. There aren't many Hi-Fi stores in Perth, as you would know, and a large Hi-Fi store I went to before this one was not able to let me test the system and speakers with film.  So, yes 'luckily' I've been able to find a store that will accommodate this.

My comment about being hoodwinked was not in relation to this sales rep either. It was more of an acknowledgement that I am going to have to go to other stores. The store before this one advised that unlike AV receivers the speakers will sound almost identical on a $600 stereo receiver or a more expensive one. 

I definitely plan to listen to as many speakers and systems as possible. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

I definitely plan to listen to as many speakers and systems as possible. 

Sounds like a plan! ?

14 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

The store before this one advised that unlike AV receivers the speakers will sound almost identical on a $600 stereo receiver or a more expensive one. 

That advice....

Amplifiers have a lot of influence on sound reproduction. I can see how that comment could be true in very specific situations but it is mostly not true. You may want to talk to another person ;) plus just listen and find out if you hear the difference yourself. The limit may be the amp or the speakers and thus listening to various combinations is helpful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

I'm seeking opinions from other members with more experience with Hi-FI equipment, and those who own similar products. I don't see this as 'pure folly'.  After all isn't this what the forum is about?

No, seeking opinions is not, however ...

if you asked me I would steer you towards Elacs. :P

I went from surround sound, which I never really exploited, back to quality 2 channel stereo (now have 2 systems since I bought 2 sets of identical speakers, using Rega and Naim amps). Never looked back, and never been happier. Also had a sub with the surround setup which I tried with the 2 channel, and was ultimately happier without.  Not required IMO, save your $$. 

Small, monitor speakers (Legend Joeys in my case) are very clear and do project dialogue nicely in a balanced system with good speaker placement. I use ISO-Acoustics (ISO-155) desktop speaker stands, which work very well on top of an entertainment unit and are height adjustable to lift the tweeter up to ear level if necessary.  

For streaming, unless you already have a spare laptop computer, consider a dedicated streamer that can connect to an external DAC if you want to upgrade later.  Something like the Bluesound Node 2i. 

In all all other respects, Hi-Fi is not an academic or theoretical exercise.  It is about listening to sound and deriving pleasure from that. So in short, trust your ears, and if you like the sound, and can afford it, buy it and be happy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DrSK said:

I'd ring Lenehan Audio and see if by any chance they have some 2nd hand ML1 speakers that have been traded in.

The older shape often go for just under $2k.

They are serious hifi that sold for at least double or potentially triple new and were designed with TV viewing in mind as well as music. 

They can sit second hand as they are in some ways odd ball as they are high spec but not full range given their size, many in the hifi market instead prefer the bigger ML2s or his towers. The ML1s do however have good base response for their size. 

Thanks for the suggestion @DrSK

1 hour ago, Mute-on said:

I went from surround sound, which I never really exploited, back to quality 2 channel stereo (now have 2 systems since I bought 2 sets of identical speakers, using Rega and Naim amps). Never looked back, and never been happier. Also had a sub with the surround setup which I tried with the 2 channel, and was ultimately happier without.  Not required IMO, save your $$. 

Small, monitor speakers (Legend Joeys in my case) are very clear and do project dialogue nicely in a balanced system with good speaker placement. I use ISO-Acoustics (ISO-155) desktop speaker stands, which work very well on top of an entertainment unit and are height adjustable to lift the tweeter up to ear level if necessary.  

For streaming, unless you already have a spare laptop computer, consider a dedicated streamer that can connect to an external DAC if you want to upgrade later.  Something like the Bluesound Node 2i. 

In all all other respects, Hi-Fi is not an academic or theoretical exercise.  It is about listening to sound and deriving pleasure from that. So in short, trust your ears, and if you like the sound, and can afford it, buy it and be happy!

I'm definitely leaning more towards a dedicated streamer as I don't have a pare laptop. Eventually I'll probably go down the NAS route. 

Since the Wharfdales originally fitted your size, price and sound requirements, why not get something similar, but different....let me explain.

Since HiFi as such doesn't have the following it once had, specialist HiFi speakers in the lower price braket don't always tend to be the bargains they once were.

The big bargains [if found suitable for purpose] are now found in the blooming Home Recording Studio / Pro audio sector.

For the same price of a pair of Whardale D320's, you could get a same sized pair of Presonus ERIS E5 monitors, these speakers have built in amplifiers, plus you have some adjustment on the rear that can help with bass response.

https://www.storedj.com.au/presonus-eris-e5-xt-5-active-studio-monitors-w-wave-guide-pair

If you have a pair of headphones listen to this YouTube channel demoing the Presonus.

There happens to be a brand new Manny's store that has just opened at 7 Loftus st West Leederville, Perth where you should be able to audition them.

Anyway, my thinking is if you bought these, you save money on getting a amp, that money could be spent on a streaming pre amp, and you could plug all your other gear into that.

Something like the NAD C658 would seem perfect.

https://klappav.com.au/products/c-658-bluos-streaming-dac

It has balanced outputs [direct to speakers-] two optical input [one from your PS4 the other from your TV since the ARC is shot], USB input [for PC or DAC- ] both WiFi and Blutooth- , Phono input - for later got Turntable, two line in - so if you want to add a CD player you can, 1 X coaxial out, and also provision to add a subwoofer, which Presonus also makes a matching powered sub for the E5's.

https://www.storedj.com.au/presonus-temblor-t8-8-active-studio-subwoofer

You should have enough over from 3K to buy some decent balanced cables for the NAD to Presonus speakers.....I'd give it some serious thought if you want to keep it simple and on budget, sometimes you just have to think out of the box to get there.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Since the Wharfdales originally fitted your size, price and sound requirements, why not get something similar, but different....let me explain.

Since HiFi as such doesn't have the following it once had, specialist HiFi speakers in the lower price braket don't always tend to be the bargains they once were.

The big bargains [if found suitable for purpose] are now found in the blooming Home Recording Studio / Pro audio sector.

For the same price of a pair of Whardale D320's, you could get a same sized pair of Presonus ERIS E5 monitors, these speakers have built in amplifiers, plus you have some adjustment on the rear that can help with bass response.

https://www.storedj.com.au/presonus-eris-e5-xt-5-active-studio-monitors-w-wave-guide-pair

There happens to be a brand new Manny's store that has just opened at 7 Loftus st West Leederville, Perth where you should be able to audition them.

Anyway, my thinking is if you bought these, you save money on getting a amp, that money could be spent on a streaming pre amp, and you could plug all your other gear into that.

Something like the NAD C658 would seem perfect.

https://klappav.com.au/products/c-658-bluos-streaming-dac

It has balanced outputs [direct to speakers-] two optical input [one from your PS4 the other from your TV since the ARC is shot], USB input [for PC or DAC- ] both WiFi and Blutooth- , Phono input - for later got Turntable, two line in - so if you want to add a CD player you can, 1 X coaxial out, and also provision to add a subwoofer, which Presonus also makes a matching powered sub for the E5's.

https://www.storedj.com.au/presonus-temblor-t8-8-active-studio-subwoofer

You should have enough over from 3K to buy some decent balanced cables for the NAD to Presonus speakers.....I'd give it some serious thought if you want to keep it simple and on budget, sometimes you just have to think out of the box to get there.

Thanks Tweaky.  

The NAD streamers look very good. Snoopy also recommended the C658, so I'll definitely see if I can check out somewhere. One local Hi-Fi store has the C368 but they don't seem to have the C658.