New Stereo integrated Amp

Hi all first proper post on the page, after thoughts and recommendations.

My Yamaha Aventage av receiver died a year ago, so I’m having withdrawals, my speakers are a pair of B&W 805D2, B&W PV1D, with a Pro-Ject 1xpression Carbon TT. 
I’m going stereo Amp this time as it was only ever 2.1ch, so having an 11.2ch amp was kinda overkill, only reason I went AV receiver is due to far too many devices

All of these would also have a Bluesound Node 2i on top for tidal and Airplay.

my shortlist is so far, 

- Rotel RA1592

- Musical Fidelity M6si with M6s DAC

- Electrocompaniet ECi6D

- McIntosh MA5300

i require the DAC due to wanting to also have the TV audio through the system. 

Thanks in Advance!

I am confused, I am reading the OP’s post as wanting an integrated amp with 2.1 channel capability?  I.e. Want to connect subwoofer to integrated amp? 

Not aware of Hegel amp with subwoofer connection.

From memory, Parasound integrated amp can. Not many has this capability.

Is it a must to stick to one box? I personally prefer to use a entry/mid level AV receiver with preout option connected to a nice integrated amp with HT bypass option. So total 2 boxes but has best of both worlds.

Excuse me, if I read the post wrong.  In which case OP’s just looking for any integrated amp.

• Like 1

I use a standard stereo amp with A and B speaker outs (selectable). A speaker outs connect to my L+R bookshelf speakers and B speaker out to high level inputs of the sub. Voila: 2.1.

Can use it as stereo only or combine with the sub. Note - only valid if the sub has high level inputs.

My sub has the high level outs too which I've used to connect a center speaker. Beautiful.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies! Yeah 2.1 it is, so the integrated amp must have a Line level out for the Sub, have seen the Parasound gear, haven’t had a chance to hear it yet, may have to check it out

The B&Ws respond to plenty of power / current and they will really open up if you get it right.I know watts isn’t everything but I’ve had several lower power amps on my 805d3 - they all sounded ok but it took power to make them really sing. 

I tend to think McIntosh are overpriced - though they do look good - and at  100 watts into 8 ohms, 160 into 4 ohms they are at the lower end of what I think you need to get the best out of your 805s. For that money you could have an Elektra pre/power combination and have plenty of change to buy a very nice dac. I suspect this combo would show the Mac a very clean pair of heels - and it’s locally made so you get serious bang for the buck.
On this list I’d be looking closely at the electrocompaniet and the MF.

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=Elektra

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@ChupaChups thanks for clarification. Learned something new. I never knew I can connect subwoofer to line outs. Thought only dedicated ones like the Parasound Halo is the only option.

How embarrassing because I actually own and love my Hegel amp, highly recommended.

• Love 1

Interesting, hadn’t heard of the Hegel, looks nice, , I’m going next Saturday to my nearest store in Hobart now that travel in tassie has eased to listen to the MF, being in tas its tricky to demo other brands haha, only one Hi-Fi store in the state Now.

Do explore what you ears preferred as much as possible. As @buddyev has mentioned (and I do concur with the man - has great taste in music ;) ) you do need an gutsy amp to drive the B&W 8 series. If an integrated with a inbuilt DAC is a must, what's a better time to try Hegel with 7 days return policy. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/hegel-launches-7-day-home-trial-program-in-australia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChupaChups said:

Do explore what you ears preferred as much as possible. As @buddyev has mentioned (and I do concur with the man - has great taste in music ;) ) you do need an gutsy amp to drive the B&W 8 series. If an integrated with a inbuilt DAC is a must, what's a better time to try Hegel with 7 days return policy. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/hegel-launches-7-day-home-trial-program-in-australia

ChupaChups - What kind of name is that! ?

• Like 1

I recently bought a Cambridge Audio CXA-60 (superceded), current model would be CXA-61 or 81 more in your price range.

This has digital input and a sub output, new model has built in bluetooth, mine is optional, I did not really feel it was necessary.

I stream through my smart tv from home server, digital radio from tv etc.

Very happy with results.  Good luck.image.thumb.png.e9b197dcb232a983cb8b9d463f3c0e52.png

• Like 1

This is the second post in a many weeks  from a fellow Launceston  SNA member. Maybe consider Yamaha A S-1100 which is on special at Audiotrends at present. It has pre-out. Good luck with the decision making.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone, heading to Hobart tomorrow to demo the Musical Fidelity M6Si, I’m thinking to pair it with the Yamaha CD-S2100 as it also has a good DAC built in for digital use, plus has SACD capability, 

O.P.

Excited! ordered the MF M6Si with the Yamaha CD-S2100, Bluesound Node 2i, Panasonic UB820 4K player for the new TV, and some new cabling, move in to the new house in 2 weeks so will have fun setting that up, also – I do own a few SACDs and hybrid SACDs, plus a large regular CD collection, so figured may as well have the option there.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally (sort of) alive! Only running the Bluesound at the moment, XLR cables we went with for CD player to Amp are about 25mm too short, ? haha, first track listened to was MQA of Bloody Well Right - Supertramp!

0A9C9185-E6BC-49F0-B05D-534916253915.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY got the complete system set up, aside from the Subwoofer, as I’m finding I don’t need it, cranking the MFSL gold disc of Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel as the first spin on the CD player! 

MF M6Si, B&W 805D2, Yamaha CDS2100, Bluesound Node 2i, Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon with Ortofon 2M red, Xbox 1, Panasonic DP-UB 820, Panasonic GZ1000, QED Reference AE XLRs, Chord Epic speaker cables with Spades, QED COAX, optical, Bluesound HDMI

33341FB4-95F1-4F79-B1C0-5B57D7FBA318.jpeg

Edited by ezeikiel23
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ezeikiel23 said:

FINALLY got the complete system set up, aside from the Subwoofer, as I’m finding I don’t need it, cranking the MFSL gold disc of Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel as the first spin on the CD player! 

MF M6Si, B&W 805D2, Yamaha CDS2100, Bluesound Node 2i, Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon with Ortofon 2M red, Xbox 1, Panasonic DP-UB 820, Panasonic GZ1000, QED Reference AE XLRs, Chord Epic speaker cables with Spades, QED COAX, optical, Bluesound HDMI

33341FB4-95F1-4F79-B1C0-5B57D7FBA318.jpeg

Nice. Are you running the Bluesound into the Yamaha?