Zu Audio Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I thought I'd kick off a three around the Zu Audio speaker line. I've had two sets so far.

The Omen Mk II [Rev B] which I purchased second hand on a whim. I had these for a couple of years and after a break of around a year I found I was missing the "Zu" sound so I purchased my current Omen Def MkII with the upgraded Radian tweeter without auditioning. It was a bit of a gamble but I'm glad I did!

One thing I've always found is that nothing seems to touch it for clarity and presence, however they need reinforcement in the bass region. The Omens seemed to roll off around 70Hz in my old room and the Omen Defs seem to roll off around 50Hz in my current room. After trying a few different solutions, I found the best combination to date for me was a set of JBL 18's in fridge sized cabinets, however in the new house these weren't practical so have been moved on in favour of an SVS SB16 which does the job ok, but I still haven't been able to achieve the same level of bass drum realism that I did with the JBLs.

I've found that positioning makes a big difference to the sound with these speakers. They like to be forward and into the room almost as much as you dare. Also valve amps are the way to drive them. I went through a lot of respected (and expensive) SS amps and never found something to suit them.

Anyway, enough rambling - some photos below.

IMG_3161.thumb.jpeg.9cbb93344bdac177ac704f90d26c16bb.jpeg

cbe3f0c1ea999921e44e83b0f7cf43c7.thumb.jpg.d864499d9e590dd64254a8f8398caab7.jpg

post-104127-0-80586400-1459052503_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ive had a couple of Zu's also and agree with your comments regarding effortless dynamics but like you also needed to supplement with a sub (in my case REL)

image.png.c749af48fa06dc7c9fae38052eacd5a6.png

image.png.775fcc4cd16bf40d1cce5a2db91a4419.png

image.png.f628c5d8b6b4305922ccf34b7dee2392.png

Latter had my Soul2's refinished in gloss black 9(and I built a sandstone plinth to raise them which I felt was needed)

image.png.957ab0dc1c3b7dbbd2b402f654b307d3.png

image.png.7a05b7ed09a854338ec29c03b8067916.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 06/03/2020 at 11:26 AM, caminperth said:

I thought I'd kick off a three around the Zu Audio speaker line. I've had two sets so far.

The Omen Mk II [Rev B] which I purchased second hand on a whim. I had these for a couple of years and after a break of around a year I found I was missing the "Zu" sound so I purchased my current Omen Def MkII with the upgraded Radian tweeter without auditioning. It was a bit of a gamble but I'm glad I did!

One thing I've always found is that nothing seems to touch it for clarity and presence, however they need reinforcement in the bass region. The Omens seemed to roll off around 70Hz in my old room and the Omen Defs seem to roll off around 50Hz in my current room. After trying a few different solutions, I found the best combination to date for me was a set of JBL 18's in fridge sized cabinets, however in the new house these weren't practical so have been moved on in favour of an SVS SB16 which does the job ok, but I still haven't been able to achieve the same level of bass drum realism that I did with the JBLs.

I've found that positioning makes a big difference to the sound with these speakers. They like to be forward and into the room almost as much as you dare. Also valve amps are the way to drive them. I went through a lot of respected (and expensive) SS amps and never found something to suit them.

Anyway, enough rambling - some photos below.

IMG_3161.thumb.jpeg.9cbb93344bdac177ac704f90d26c16bb.jpeg

cbe3f0c1ea999921e44e83b0f7cf43c7.thumb.jpg.d864499d9e590dd64254a8f8398caab7.jpg

post-104127-0-80586400-1459052503_thumb.jpg

Wow! Nice looking Omen Def with a nice view as well ?? 
Can you comment on the sound of Omen Def mk2 with the standard tweeter? I was thinking of upgrading my Zu Union to Omen Def Mk1 ( NOS speaker ) 

7 hours ago, Acap said:

Wow! Nice looking Omen Def with a nice view as well ?? 
Can you comment on the sound of Omen Def mk2 with the standard tweeter? I was thinking of upgrading my Zu Union to Omen Def Mk1 ( NOS speaker ) 

Thanks! I guess the standard tweeter used in the Def is the same one used in the baby Omens I used to have. I found the little Omens to great for the space they were in which was a room 3.5m x 5.5m. Once you get the positioning right they can throw a big soundstage with a lot of depth.

However, don't expect much bass out of them - I've always reinforced the sound with a sub.

• 4 months later...

Hi there..

I bought. pair of Dirty Weekends in maple..

There are elements that are wow.. but yes they are too bright for me.. I do run a valve amp with them, and am probably going to sell..

relegated to my office .

IMG_2666.jpg

Edited by oksauce

9 hours ago, oksauce said:

Hi there..

There are elements that are wow.. but yes they are too bright for me.. I do run a valve amp with them, and am probably going to sell..

relegated to my office .

IMG_2666.jpg

Unusual for Zus to be described as bright. What are the other components in the system?

17 hours ago, oksauce said:

Hi..

Amp is my Almarro 318b ... 

with an LP12 .. 

Put 100 hrs on them before judging. I had Omens and bright isn’t how I found them.

Even better is to crank them up with a SS amp for even a few hours and I mean at 90dB minimum.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, oksauce said:

Hi there..

relegated to my office .

let me know if you are selling them, I am looking to buy these.

Regards,

RD

• 6 months later...

• 1 year later...

Anyone here own or heard The Zu Audio Union 6 ? I’m interested in buying a pair but there are very few reviews. I currently own the KLH Model 5’s and am looking for  some higher sensitivity speakers to use low power tube amps with .   Cheers for any advice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crakers said:

am looking for  some higher sensitivity speakers to use low power tube amps with .   Cheers for any advice 

Have I got the speakers for you, and I am in Perth.

Feel free to check out my FS listing and see if it is of any interest to you.

I used an 8W SET 300B to sublime effect.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mendes said:

Have I got the speakers for you, and I am in Perth.

Feel free to check out my FS listing and see if it is of any interest to you.

I used an 8W SET 300B to sublime effect.

I checked them out , very interesting , will definitely consider . 

• Like 1

Get some Lii Song Platinum-10 based speakers built. ;)

Then again, might be more than you want to spend. They are expensive drivers. In the Zu range it’s the Soul Supreme which grab my attention. Meant to be fantastic speakers comparable to the DeVore Orangutan O/93 so no slouch at all. That said I’m pinning my hopes on Platinum-10 based speakers to meet my needs.  :D

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 08/04/2023 at 4:12 PM, MattyW said:

Get some Lii Song Platinum-10 based speakers built. ;)

Then again, might be more than you want to spend. They are expensive drivers. In the Zu range it’s the Soul Supreme which grab my attention. Meant to be fantastic speakers comparable to the DeVore Orangutan O/93 so no slouch at all. That said I’m pinning my hopes on Platinum-10 based speakers to meet my needs.  :D

How did the Lii's pan out?

1 minute ago, Phydeaux III said:

How did the Lii's pan out?

Absolutely stunning performance from these speakers. Very happy with the effort.

Not a current pic but it’ll do. ;)

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.25ebf9a1eb5ebc0f2b56599080ca1211.jpeg

@muon* and @dogbite have heard these though not in the current system configuration.

• Like 1

The best I have ever heard. Transparent. Sounds like and reproduces whatever they’re fed so pair with exceptional components and you get exceptional sound. Nothing is lacking for me though many would want the impactful bass the DFH10 headwrecker cabinets give. That would get me in trouble though so the big bass reflex cabs are better for me.

I’ll never want another pair of speakers until it’s time for us to downsize so I’ll get 20 years from them at least.

Absolutely nothing missing sonically but if you want bass you can feel then DFH10 cabinets are a better choice. As I understand those will shake the foundations. ;)

Edited by MattyW