Rega RP8 - whats next?

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

I have a long time query. Why do Linn owners upgrade so much?

Do Linn actually make a fully upgraded deck that someone can buy outright and not HAVE to upgrade or is Linn's 'economic model' to get you involved with their product and then hook one into the expensive parts upgrade gravy train......a gravy train for Linn that is......because their initial product, at least to some, screams out to be upgraded, ie: is substandard to what they can actually and reasonably produce in the first place?

There clearly are people out there who buy the top line klimax LP12, and never think about it again, as there are others who buy the entry level majik model and are happy. There is an attraction to being able to buy something for 1x dollars and being able to spend in increments when you can afford it to get to a higher spec, rather than having to pay 5-10x  at the outset. I am sure it works well for Linn, as they get people into their ecosystem, and many are happy to do it. A lot of it is the story of the deck, and the tribalism, more than simply just the sound.  I am sure if someone put $25000 in my pocket today, I would buy something else like a brinkman or a kuzma, but I don’t know if I would trade to ups and downs of the journey of owning the LP12. Probably I would like to have both! 

For the OP, I agree with the prospect of going MC- carts make a big difference- along with optimising the phono stage- you could talk to Wyndham audio about trying the MC accession.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwbasement said:

I think upgrade the cart and phono would be better upgrade than upgrade the TT because once you upgraded tt, you will also need to upgrade the cart and phono... rp8 can handle many higher grade cart than 2m black and with a good phono, you will be happy for a few more years or more?!

Indeed I ran my p25 years ago with jubilee and arc phono stage and  both  took deck to different levels. But this like most decks

the decks are a basis ie foundation ...have a good one and bring out best from cart and phono stage which are what extract signal and where magic happens :)

but then op has been clear no looking at rega so not really relevant are looking at some other deck which of course will also benefit with updates of both cart and phono stage :)

56 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Rega is the same with the various sub platters etc. :)

I don’t think so. Can take a basic linn and build it up with bits to top line 

I don’t think a p3 going to turn into a rp10 without selling the p3 and buying rp10

ofcourse can buy aftermarket bits from rega or otherwise but I think linn are unique in their approach :)

Has anyone got MC cart recommendations for the RP8?

Last time I replaced the black I was considering an Ortofon Quintet Black however as it necessitated a new phono stage I decided against it. Perhaps it’s time to revisit that decision.

2 hours ago, dwbasement said:

I think upgrade the cart and phono would be better upgrade than upgrade the TT because once you upgraded tt, you will also need to upgrade the cart and phono.

This.

You will definitely make superior sonic gains in your system by upgrading your cart and phono stage instead and although I am not a huge Rega fan the RP8 is more than good enough to allow you to spend a decent amount of cash cash on a  phono stage and cart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, astormsau said:

Last time I replaced the black I was considering an Ortofon Quintet Black however as it necessitated a new phono stage I decided against it. Perhaps it’s time to revisit that decision.

Ortofon Cadenza is a good match with the RP8. A Benz Glider or Ace would also work well. The Hana SL is a nice cartridge at a reasonable price.

However, a Dynavector 20X2 would be my personal preference. It is a great cartridge at an excellent price and well suited to the Rega.

• Like 3

I used to have 2m black, and changed to mc30 super ii, then move on to 20X2, Cadenza blue m, now XX2.
IMO, ortofon and dyna carts are best suit rega TT.
I am happy with All the mc above on my rega.

19 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

I think someone was selling a 20x2 on here recently? Could be a cheap way to try it over a new deck

Yes.

Here you go.

Was thinking of buying it myself but I am saving cash for a future plan.

• Like 2

Problem with Rega is you have limited choice of arms...hence limited choise of carts. 
Look beyond popular brands....there are plenty of better alternatives including arms, carts and Phonostages....

Yes that’s why I was looking at something like a Michell or Linn so I can do some experimentation [emoji106]

4 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Yes that’s why I was looking at something like a Michell or Linn so I can do some experimentation emoji106.png

Go the Linn then mate. A lot you can do with that. Just need a bit of science to go buy. Cartridge/Arm resonant frequencies etc.

Yes.

Here you go.
Was thinking of buying it myself but I am saving cash for a future plan.

Oh cool and being high output I wouldn’t have to change phono stage.

Is the general consensus that this is better than the 2M black?

I had this before but LO version, I wouldn't say it is much better than 2M black but it is a bit better SQ with 20X2 being a decent MC. And 2M black is a very good MM cart.

Is the general consensus that this is better than the 2M black?

11 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Indeed and that is why I thought it would be ideal.

I think the main difference here is that the 2M Black is somewhat forward in character and the Dyna is less so and IMO, more balanced. I do own a 2M Black so I am very familiar with it but being honest, I have only had very limited (recent ) experience with Dynas. Even so, I can say that they sounded better to me.

Others with better familiarity on both carts may (or may not ) disagree.

Edited by rantan

If you currently have a MM phono stage (40dB gain or thereabouts), you can accommodate a move to a LOMC (which requires a gain of 60dB or thereabouts) by putting a 10-20 times gain stage in front of the MM phono stage.  This can be either:

• active - ie. a 'head amp', or
  • passive - ie. a SUT.

Andy

• Like 1

If you like dyna, try XX2 which is a lot better than 20X2 which I had before, if you want to stick to Ortofon, I wouldn’t get the quintet series, I would go for the cadenza blue or above.

Certainly not married to Ortofon however I am trying to avoid selling my Graham Slee Accession or having to buy a SUT which is why a high output MC may be a good option.

Does anyone have a feel for the tonal differences between say the Benz Micro Glider and the Dynavector 20X2H?

18 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Does anyone have a feel for the tonal differences between say the Benz Micro Glider and the Dynavector 20X2H?

The Glider is warmer, richer and smoother, but a bit less dynamic. The Dynavector is more neutral, a bit faster and more dynamic, but not as lush.

however I am trying to avoid selling my Graham Slee Accession or having to buy a SUT which is why a high output MC may be a good option.

You have an ss phono stage ... so why are you thinking of a SUT?  The way I see it - given the cart loading limitations which are inherent in using a SUT (the load becomes the phono stage input resistance - typically 47K - divided by the square of the turns ratio) - only those who are 'ss-phobes' (who won't contemplate  having a solid state device polluting their vinyl signal! :lol: ) would use a SUT rather than a head amp ... given the head amp allows complete flexibility in cart loading.  :)

1 hour ago, rossb said:

The Glider is warmer, richer and smoother, but a bit less dynamic. The Dynavector is more neutral, a bit faster and more dynamic, but not as lush.

I'd agree with those descriptions, Ross ... however, another description is perhaps that the Dynavector - whilst more dynamic - is leaner in the mids than the Glider ... and so would ideally partner with a tube phono stage.  :)

Andy

In my case XX2 is great, but I have tube phono on that cart and full range speakers, mid is fantastic.
That proves it is always depending on what your setup is. For example Hana SL I bought couple of years ago, sold it within a week as it doesn't work with my setup.