Post Pictures Of Your Headphone Setup

On 16/06/2021 at 3:44 AM, Pashmeister said:

I'm part of the speaker-amp-for-headphones subset. Primarily because to drive the Abyss or Susvara to the level I want, I will require either a powerful headphone amp (that's typically very expensive) or a very good speaker amp (which are a dime a dozen in the used market). 

4A0AF623-D30B-48EB-A22C-97017FB94D69_1_105_c.jpeg.85f260a6b45afe56d28ba1049ac8f824.jpeg

Lovely.

Where did you find your Mac Mini stand?

20210623_142046.thumb.jpg.7573dc5c4c1904c74c931edb7addd1d8.jpg

Speaking of, these just rocked up in the mail - pretty much pristine condition. My head-fi journey begins. 

I plugged them into the headphone jack on my Rotel RA-1592, but will reserve judgement until I have my A90 in hand. Rotel provide absolutely no info on whether it's a proper headphone stage or just resistors off the speaker output, so it may not be a good representation. All I'll say is that they're a fair bit warmer than I'd anticipated. Not bad by any means, but toasty warm sounds. Also I lot less sound leakage than I thought there might be.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

They need a bit of juice. And do scale ok with better gear. And do pair best with a OTL tube amp.

Enjoy!

I'll definitely give them a fair shake. The OTL amp thing seems a bit tricky, though. My research on the Dark Voice suggests it's extremely powerful but a bit cobbled together, and the Bottlehead involves the sort of time and skill that I just don't have. I haven't found any other options for OTL - are they something bigger companies just don't touch?

I also have a couple of other headphone options in the works, just to get a bead on what I like the sound of.

Woo Audio make some sleek versions.

And Bottlehead Cracks come up for sale fairly regularly here. You can also pay Bottlehead to make it for you. Or there is a guy on Etsy that makes very nice ones.

3 hours ago, twofires said:

Okay, so who's the favourite child?

Well, the PM-1 and HD600 are equal favourites. Mainly use them balanced out of the HA-1.

I Use the Fidelio L2 or X2HR with the Fiio M11 if I can't be bothered swapping cables on the above.

The HD238 or KPH30i with the Sony NWZ-A15 when I'm out walking the dog and stuff.

The KSC75 are good for cycling - no headband and don't block out ambient sounds.

ATH-M50x if I need something sealed (rare).

Sony WH-1000XM2 for travel (theoretical at the moment).

Fidelio M1 and Fiio M5 I have passed on to my wife to use.

The rest don't get much action.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twofires said:

I'll definitely give them a fair shake. The OTL amp thing seems a bit tricky, though. My research on the Dark Voice suggests it's extremely powerful but a bit cobbled together, and the Bottlehead involves the sort of time and skill that I just don't have. I haven't found any other options for OTL - are they something bigger companies just don't touch?

I also have a couple of other headphone options in the works, just to get a bead on what I like the sound of.

PM me if you want to listen to them paired with a Bottlehead crack or Woo amp, happy to let you have a play

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spamnoj said:

PM me if you want to listen to them paired with a Bottlehead crack or Woo amp, happy to let you have a play

Very generous offer, thank you. 😁

I'm no longer in the Greater Metro area so it might not be an easy thing, but I'll keep it in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Indie Hi-Fi said:

And new stock just arrived yesterday!

Might be something to also advertise, maybe, say, in your own dedicated sponsor forum that's blank Hugo! Show the peeps what you sell!

Couldn’t help myself...wanted to try some open backs.  Also move up the amp chain a little. 

520C2A1B-7678-4C2C-A73B-EA35F8AAA5D0.thumb.jpeg.9f905927fd8c669b83e9a01b5b01913b.jpeg

40927EE8-557E-4DAB-8D66-F02D0AE8BAA4.thumb.jpeg.19defd1574a84916634841bb5e1c7307.jpeg

The amp is a definite improvement over both the iFi DAC and CAN starter kit.  Have been unable to move away from the Aqua DAC after adding it into the mix.  A quality DAC certainly makes a difference and since finding the R2R sound...well it’s for me. 

The 660’s are...different...to the Meze classics. Vocals and higher frequencies are more pronounced and very clean. I am missing some bottom end though. The slam that the Meze have has gone and the Meze seem a more relaxed headphone possibly due to less emphasis on the top end 

Wondering if this lack of bass is the nature of the beast in 660”s?  I don’t consider myself a bass head and sometimes find there is too much in the Meze Classics. I guess the search now begins for something with the mid to higher frequencies and detail of the 660”s and some of the low end found in the Meze....

On the comfort front, both the Classics and the 660s are comfy in their own way. Prefer the Classics fit myself as it doesn’t feel as wrapped around my head. 

The journey continues. Recommendations welcomed. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back folks.

"I gave up expensive headphones....was the longest few weeks of my life" - Me. 2021.

20210707_144640.thumb.jpg.288c06e82639f7b0c2f6403f7b725c06.jpg

Looking forward to buying a 3 month old set early October 😁

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, franky995 said:

My current system. Had the upgrade bug for a long time and finally showing signs of getting it under control (ask me again in six months ;)).

824390D0-AFAC-4FF2-8A8E-ED06A6005263.jpeg

Heaps of room for any upgrades. Love the Benchmark combo.

26 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Heaps of room for any upgrades. Love the Benchmark combo.

Thank you, after tinkering a lot I really like the Benchmark / Empy combo. Empys can certainly cope with a neutral pathway. 

Still room for upgrades but having had this system for a couple of months and not feeling the need to change components yet is somewhat of a record for me.