Best Confronting/Controversial Movies....

Off the top of my head...

Schindler's List

127 Hours

Battle Royale

Taken

The Wolf of Wall Street

War Dogs - great movie based on true events but made bigger in true Hollywood fashion

my fav, Leon the Professional

Edited by WasM
typo

Se7en

The Sixth Sense

The Others

Shutter Island

Twelve Monkeys

Dreamcatcher

Wind River

The Crimson Rivers

The Revenant

some are less some more confronting, for me these are most memorable, next round with sci-fi horrors :) 

54 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

Ghosts of the Civil Dead. Aussie cult flick with Nick Cave from '88. Couldn't believe this was shown on TV (on SBS) one night in either '91 or '92 which was when I first saw it.

20 years later another brutal and vicious Oz offering emerged --The Horseman

Willco

On 22/11/2018 at 2:54 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

An Inconvenient Truth. 

All the more terrifying because it’s a doco

It's a "left wing" fantasy propaganda dystopian reality of the highest order

• Like 2

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, GSO-ROB said:

The politics section of SNA has been shut down. Let’s not get this thread shut down too ...

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 2

On 22/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, Dave O))) said:

No Country for Old Men

It took me about half a dozen attempts to make it through No Country For Old Men as I found the violence really hard to stomach and until I watched the whole film thought it was all gratuitous. Since managing the whole film though I reckon I've watched it a dozen times and it's become one of my favourites. Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs made me feel the same.

• Like 2

It took me about half a dozen attempts to make it through No Country For Old Men as I found the violence really hard to stomach and until I watched the whole film thought it was all gratuitous. Since managing the whole film though I reckon I've watched it a dozen times and it's become one of my favourites. Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs made me feel the same.
One of my favourites too. It blew me away the first time. Did you notice that the violent episodes become less and less graphic as the film progresses? The last one you only know what has happened because Chigur checks his boots as he leaves the house. I think the way that the Coen bros build tension is far more subtle and intense than anything Tarantino can do. They are on another level of the craft.

Man Bites Dog is one that I struggled with. I couldn't get past the callousness of the lead character to enjoy the black humour aspect. The best scene in that was the final one.

Cook Thief Wife Lover my god that was a piece of work. Only saw it once over 20 years ago, it still haunts me.

Bad Boy Bubby is gold, I love that film.
  • Like 1

Not sure I would call Eraserhead confronting. Weird, definitely, and claustrophobic. Surreal. I used to have unexplainable abstract monochrome nightmares as a child and when I saw Eraserhead I realised that it was the closest thing to those dreams I had, in terms of the feelings it evoked. Feeling trapped, claustrophobic and hopeless. Locked in to a pointless repetition.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anything by Lars Von Trier, Michael Haneke or Gaspar Noe is quite confronting. I've liked movies from the former, especially Dogville. Noe's movies are **** though.

There was a movie called Creep from a while back that I thought was confronting and nihilistic, pretty gruesome horror. But I remember thinking it was quite well done

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2018 at 11:55 AM, GSO-ROB said:

??.....Oh dear....a believer in fake news.?

I think we know who is living in a fake news 'fantasy'.'

Fake news' is like a fart. Those who deny it, supply it.