Stereonet's first saint

ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE BY JA .... NOT POSTED

so the thread starts off as (THOMO's 1st post).

Do we have any prospective saints here?

I know that there are a few DIY projects that have been finished only due to a miracle.Many more await such a miracle of course.

Others here seemingly perform miracles by replacing a few capacitors in their Hello Kitty Personal Pink CD player and turning it into the best sounding player they have ever heard.

I have also witnessed some of the more technically knowledgable among us send other members into an induced coma [or perhaps a zombie state].

All this points to some likely candidates for Saint Stereonet.But what we really need is a patron saint of upgradeitis.

Innocent enough I suppose, but subsequently the subtext or agenda is clear .... one of villification.

A friend showed me a large book about the Saints he was given by a strict Catholic aunt when he was eleven years old.Not quite the birthday present most eleven year olds would desire.

It is full of graphic descriptions of the grisly deaths of martyred Saints .Like one being babequed on a hot metal grid.Mainly for refusing to renounce allegience to a fat,greedy and corrupt church establishment.Lovely stuff for an eleven year old!Really sick stuff. Such books sustained a cult of "suffering for you faith"which persists today.Like desperately poor Third World women denying themselves contraception and ending up with a tribe of hungry children.

Religious or for that matter racial villification is not acceptable on SNA and is infact against the law.

If in doubt refer the law:

Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 - SECT 8

Religious vilification unlawful8. Religious vilification unlawful(1) A person must not, on the ground of the religious belief or activity ofanother person or class of persons, engage in conduct that incites hatredagainst, serious contempt for, or revulsion or severe ridicule of, that otherperson or class of persons.Note Engage in conduct includes use of the internet or e-mail to publish ortransmit statements or other material.(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), conduct- (a) may be constituted by a single occasion or by a number of occasions over a period of time; and (:D may occur in or outside Victoria.From:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/rarta2001265/

JA

Edited by JA
added references and quotes

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To whom it may concern,

Religious and other forms of villification are not acceptable (or legal for that matter). There is a very fine border between discussion and inappropriate comment. Be aware of where you are going or taking others.

One inappropriate post removed as was another post that quoted the same post.

Best

JA

Edited by JA

I reckon hired goon would be a saint; giving up his SGR's for two years to work in the US. I go cold turkey on my system if I go away for the weekend.

On the other hand we might all be saints for resisting some of the temptation that has been placed in front of us by other forum members posting unbelievable bargains in the private classified section in the last few months.

Jeff

Edited by JeffK

Speaking generally, and not with reference to any decisions which have been made, for a post to amount to "vilification", it needs to actually vilify.

Some religious beliefs appear to be fair game (perhaps JA would include belief in anthropomorphic climate change in that category, though I consider it to be based on science), such as a belief that the earth was made in 7 days and is maybe 10,000 years old, and that the theory of evolution is incorrect, or that women should be stoned to death because they had intercourse out of wedlock.

Others, such as a belief that God is opposed to condoms and homosexuality (perhaps, based on his AIDS performance, not necessarily in that order), or that the process of Sanctification is profoundly corrupted and absurd given our current level of knowledge of things (and illogical and unscientific; one hasn't "proved" a miracle occurred upon the invocation of an individual because;

a.) Someone prayed to that individual for the event to occur;

b.) It did occur;

c.) No-one has yet explained it in another way)

appear to be sancrosanct.

JA is right to say that it can be "hard to draw the line". Particularly when some beliefs actually cause a lot of harm.

On the other hand we might all be saints for resisting some of the temptation that has been placed in front of us by other forum members posting unbelievable bargains in the private classified section in the last few months.

Jeff

Go on, be a devil, buy my Avantgarde Solos. I know that you can't resist the temptation. If you're going to sin, then make it a big one that will make you very happy:)

I cant believe no-one has nominated the moderators and those who do so much work behind the scenes to keep this place running !!!!

Good point but you need two miracles to become a saint. We need to find candidates who have:

- Converted cable non-believers to believers

- Convinced the killer DAC followers to give up their digital NOS God and covert to vinyl

- Converted a valve and full-range speaker devotee to solid state

- Convinced active speaker devotees to go back to passive speakers

- other unspecified miraculous events (feel free to add to the list)

I'd add one more in there - convince Kajak12 to buy off the shelf and leave it alone!

Good point but you need two miracles to become a saint. We need to find candidates who have:

- Converted cable non-believers to believers

- Convinced the killer DAC followers to give up their digital NOS God and covert to vinyl

- Converted a valve and full-range speaker devotee to solid state

- Convinced active speaker devotees to go back to passive speakers

- other unspecified miraculous events (feel free to add to the list)

I cant believe no-one has nominated the moderators and those who do so much work behind the scenes to keep this place running !!!!

HAR HAR HAR!! Sorry, big belly laugh there. If you have met any of us you would change your mind very quickly. Well, except for JA perhaps ... he is a good Catholic boy. Marc is a Collingwood supporter (therefore no saint), Jake is a sailor, and I drink too much wine.

G'day,

Has no one watched Spinal Tap? Lead singer David St Hubbins is named after "the patron saint of quality footwear".

Personally I would second the nomination of St Jude, the patron saint of lost causes, or St Meriadoc, the patron saint against deafness.

--Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Heres a nomination -> http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/29707-Which-Parts-Units-of-Audio-Sys-most-important?p=436042&viewfull=1#post436042

_________

Originally Posted by andyr

So how do you deal with (ie. compensate for) your room modes, kajak?

Regards,

Andy

Kajak12 replies with:

resistors,caps,valves i feed my speakers the right combination to suite my room

_________

At the risk of making many of you stick your fingers down your throats, I think if there are any saints around SNA, it's the wives/partners.

I know mine is.

Okay, okay . . .

Does she look like your avatar? If so, well!!!!!

Heres a nomination -> http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/29707-Which-Parts-Units-of-Audio-Sys-most-important?p=436042&viewfull=1#post436042

_________

Originally Posted by andyr

So how do you deal with (ie. compensate for) your room modes, kajak?

Regards,

Andy

Kajak12 replies with:

resistors,caps,valves i feed my speakers the right combination to suite my room

_________

i think your god not just a saint if you can get quality sound out of a sb transport you beat me i cant get quality even out of a modded sb like lampizator

Edited by kajak12