Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest thathifiguy
28 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Copy and pasted my answer from another thread.

I have had the vault 2i in my system since Christmas and I must say I'm very happy with it. I have never really been that keen on the streaming side of things before but being able to explore new music say on Tidal and having all my music at my fingertips won me over in the end.

I got a great deal locally in the boxing Day sales, great local service, advice and ongoing support from West Coast Hifi was an added bonus.

The unit definitely isn't cheap but for an absolute computer numpty like myself it is well worth the extra coin. Unpack, plug it in and chuck a cd in and all the work is done for you. The streaming side of things with Tidal was an absolute breeze as well, I have been looking for and listening to some great new music so I'm stoked.

Yes you could spend a hell of a lot less to get the same outcome, but the convenience and having a onebox plug and play solution is well worth it for myself.

I have been very impressed with the sound quality as well. I'm not running an external dac so only using the inbuilt dac and I think it's a winner. I have a Meridian cd player that I still think sounds better but it is very close. I don't feel that I'm missing much not using the Meridian. An external dac will be on the cards at some stage but it's not a priority.

One last thing is the missus is happy with how it looks and sounds and also has no problem using it. Bonus ?

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers Dave.

This is what got me too, she preferred using it to Sonos.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

Thanks for that.

I don't have any  digital files at all, in my collection, only CDs.

@anandpkumar raises an excellent point that I did not think of, sorry.

Yes the Naim can only allow editing of the meta data if the data is ripped from a CD. If you upload from a thumb drive or some sort of other digital store, you cannot edit the meta data. You cannot even delete the file!

Therefore, I can buy downloads, then I burn to a CD and then rip and edit the metadata if required, a bit of mucking around but still quicker than driving into Jb Hi Fi etc.

I spent over 1k just for back up, I have a Synology 718 bundle from MWave, it works faultlessly and looks nice too-

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-ds718-2-bay-nas-2x-wd-wd40efrx-4tb-red-nas-hdd-ac07604

I also got another Red 4TB HDD for the Naim storage. NAS runs raid one and duplicates itself when programmed to and the main library is in the Naim 4TB HDD.

Once you get everything ripped, you just sit on the lounge, drink, flick through your collection and blast. Something I resisted for years and one of the best things I have done. ;)

The hardest part is ripping the CD's, it's a full time job for some months!!

I, too, have been contemplating all this for some time.  After toying with options involving streamers, nas’s, various special power supplies and so on, I have concluded that simplicity is as key as sound quality in my situation.  I don’t want the family banging on about how they can’t figure it out.  I have a situation where the back lounge has a $20k stereo, and I catch them with a little portable Bluetooth speaker whilst they sit around.  Aaaagh.

So from what I’ve read, I’ll be going for a Bluesound Vault 2i once they come down a little in price and I finish a new entertainment unit to set all the gear in.  It just seems (from what I’ve read) to be the perfect mix of sound, CD storage, and streaming....

• Like 2

Im in the same boat here with ageing CD players and 20th century thinking. Like Rantan I started researching and just got overwhelmed.

I don't even have a mobile phone which a lot of people seem to use as a remote.

35 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Im in the same boat here with ageing CD players and 20th century thinking. Like Rantan I started researching and just got overwhelmed.

I don't even have a mobile phone which a lot of people seem to use as a remote.

Maybe grab an iPad mini as a remote, that’s what I use and they are cheap.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 3:29 PM, rantan said:

OK, I admit this is an old thread revival but I need some advice.

It has come to my attention that I have mountains of CDs that are just laying about everywhere and my CD players are ageing. I don't intend to sell either the discs or the players, but I am looking for something along the line of the Bluesound vault, which I understand has internal storage capability.

Vinyl will still be my main medium.

I don't need multi room capability.

What I want is a very high quality ripper/server/"storer" that does not need any computer involvement and one which will just connect to my existing audio system  and play directly through that system, using my Galaxy tab as a controller.

I admit to being a complete novice in this area and although I obviously understand the way these things work, I am not acutely aware of the nuances involved here.  I just want something that combines great sound quality with elegant simplicity and my Google searches have not come up with many options except the Vault and the "cocktail" brand which I know is not very good at all.

Opinions would be appreciated .

Edit: @Darren69, would your previously listed Naim Uniti Core serve my purpose?

Hi Ranta,

As you have probably noticed there is an abundance of choice.

If your new to this  and not sure what to commit to I would suggest trialing DBpower amp free version. (for Ripping)

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Rip a coupla of discs to a drive , give it a whirl.

I use a paid version as it double checks your RIPS with an online DATA base and will correct any errors if any and lots of other features.

Easy to use as you can direct where you want to send the rips to and in which Format. 

I use Flac because it adds any tagging and artwork to use latter, sometimes certain discs have no meta data info so you can physically add items  yourself (say if it has no artwork).

Now I'm still using the Logitech platform because I have not deemed it necessarily to move from any of my SqueezeBox products.

I have a SB Classic, Touch and Transporter.

The SBs are connected to your stereo just like you would any component and to your computer via either LAN or Wireless if it's strong enough to transmit from your puter to hifi.

They all operate and sound the same via an external DAC , so if you have a DAC you like sound reproduction will not be an issue. If not the Transporter is the best sounding and looking of the units.

Also you can pickup a classic for probable less than a $100   and SBT for under $200 and Transporter for about $500?

Just use their UI Free.

https://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

Lots of options too with setting up Favourites and playlists.

Honestly once your up and running you'll find it to much effort loading a disc to play.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking about connecting a Bluesound Node 2 for Tidal streaming.

My system comprises of Marantz NR1606 AVR with mains powered by NAD C275BEE power amp.

What's the best way to connect the Node 2?

L+R out (in Bluesound) -> L+R audio input (in Marantz nr1606) and then run it "Pure Direct" so the AVR doesn't interfere with processing before sending to power amp?

Eventually I would like to upgrade/replace the AVR and also introduce a DAC into the chain (in essence remove the Node 2 DAC).

But for now I want to dip my toes into the world that is the Bluesound Node 2 as from what I gather it's a good place to start.

I just need to confirm the best connection method?

Thanks!

@JoeZ13

You have it right if you want to use the DAC in the Node which, by itself, is no slouch.

Your alternative is to use a digital cable to your AVR and use the DAC in the Marantz.

I would do both and AB the two. That's the fun in our hobby :)

• Like 1

If you want MQA you have to use the analog out of the Node. MQA won’t get decoded by your AVR if you go in digitally. 

11 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

If you want MQA you have to use the analog out of the Node. MQA won’t get decoded by your AVR if you go in digitally. 

Thankyou!

MQA is one of the reasons I'm going down the Bluesound path. 

So that means I'm back to L+R out from the Bluesound as I originally planned.

3 hours ago, JoeZ13 said:

Thankyou!

MQA is one of the reasons I'm going down the Bluesound path. 

So that means I'm back to L+R out from the Bluesound as I originally planned.

Yes. 

You can still get the first MQA unfold from the bluesound if you are using any of the digital outputs. If you want the full unfold, you will need to use the analog output. Best is to try out both the options and let your ears decide on which sounds better

• 1 month later...

Over the last year or so I’ve been constantly having my Node2 and 2i lose contact with the App on my iPad and iPhone, and when going into my router config, it’s not showing up as a device either. What weird is that if it disappears while playing tidal, it’ll still plays tidal like nothing’s wrong, but there’s no sign of it, so it’s dead in the water as far as controlling it. 

But every single other device in my Van works flawlessly everyday. The only way to get the Node’s to work is to do a factory reset and weekly. Why these Bluesound devices are finicky is beyond me. 

But what their problem is is the firewall settings on the router. I turned mine on my Telstra F@@st router from medium to low and now the Node2i never drops out. So, to keep it happy, everything else has to be put at a higher risk. 

Ahh well, as long as I have tunes. 

Couldn't you whitelist the Node's Mac address on the router and restore your firewall settings? I'd hate for you to lose all of your sensitive data due to lowering the firewall settings. 

It's probably an inconvenient truth, but I think the culprit is your cheap and nasty Telstra router. Replacing it with something better may solve your problem. You could also try giving the Bluesound a static I.P. address. Might help.

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I don’t know how to do that either ?

Networks are the enemy of care free hi-fi, a hi-fi guy should never have to know how to set-up a static ip!

When I had a crud internet connection and the kids were taking all the bandwidth, I'd calm myself down by popping a silver disc into a tray and pressing play, never let me down!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Bluesound stuff is great but sad to say their networking is "prone to difficulties" to put it nicely.  I solved (almost) all my connectivity issues when I assigned static IP's.  You need to make sure your router also allows multicast, and something about IGMT snooping or some such.  Touch wood my system has been very reliable, the main issue I had ended up being with Tidal itself.

I still have a bug with the controller when using Android9, that causes players to disappear for a few minutes when you swap between different wifi AP's.  It is acknowledged but not yet fixed.  The company seems to lack the resources to keep the fixes and enhancements flowing fast enough.  They could have a much better product if half of what I've seen suggested in the 6 months I've owned them had been implemented - much of it simple stuff like 'don't exit the app when you press the back button' etc.

1 minute ago, outdated said:

multicast

I’ve looked for this from the recommendation of Bluesound tech support but out of all the options they gave, only the firewall option that I could find was doable. 

Heres the list list they gave. 

IGMP Snooping 
This should be on as it groups the device broadcasting Multicast traffic ( the Player ) with the device looking for that traffic ( the Controller ) Some devices operate Multicast traffic more efficiently without having this setting on so you will need to see what performs best based in your specific network environment.

Multicast
This should be on and not restricted as this is the network protocol we use for discovery(locating the player in the app).

QOS and WMM 
This should be fully disabled as this can and has caused issues with the Players getting unfavorable restrictions on their network traffic.

Wireless Band Steering

If you are not using a 2i device, this should be fully disabled as this will move certain network devices to the 5GHz or 2.4GHz networks interchangeably depending on the network traffic being used on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, example being if a network device is using a lot of traffic on the 2.4GHz band Wireless Band Steering can force other Players onto the 5GHz band in an attempt to clear the path for the other device as much as possible.
The issue with Band Steering is that our devices are only compatible with the 2.4GHz band and can not operate on the 5GHz band. The Router or access point managing this setting does not take this into consideration, forcing our Players to attempt to connect to a network we can not discovery or connect to.

DHCP Reservations
Creating DHCP reservations will ensure that your players are always assigned the same IP address across your network. This will help to prevent any IP conflicts or discovery issues due to mismanaged IP addresses by the router.

Wireless Isolation
This should also be disabled as this forces network devices to not be able to communicate with their neighboring devices and only be able to speak with the Router/AP.

Network Security / Firewall Settings
If using a heuristic like scan may need to be lowered or disabled outright as our Players will utilize UDP and Bonjour services ; Multicast which can potentially be seen as a UDP Flood or DDOS attack by some Routers/Access Points.