Anything you considered snake oil AFTER you bought it?

7 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Wow, nice offer! I have always enjoyed listening to your systems, sadly beyond my means...

However, maybe you are going about it the wrong way - maybe Trevor should bring his sub $1k front end to your room at some point and then lots of people can compare and hear the ?differences.

Nah, we tried to engage Trev with the cd demagnetiser and he bolted. Shot through with George saying it's all pointless, and without testing, what's the virtue in listening to it, I just thought he might like the music.

at this stage the other Trev has come back indicating a reluctant willingness to put it into his system for a few hours Sunday evening and might have a few rabble along with him. I might have scared him off though when I mentioned it was just over the $100k mark, I think it might have been the extra $570 but we shall see. Just a bit of fun, nothing serious and I won't be hurt if he doesn't lay down a deposit. Insert smiley face here.

cheers.

• Volunteer
44 minutes ago, guru said:

Trev has come back indicating a reluctant willingness to put it into his system for a few hours Sunday evening and might have a few rabble along with him. I might have scared him off though when I mentioned it was just over the $100k mark, I think it might have been the extra $570 but we shall see. Just a bit of fun, nothing serious and I won't be hurt if he doesn't lay down a deposit. Insert smiley face here.

Bryan is a very generous chap. 

I’m concerned about wasting his time, particularly as he’s likely to be tired and shagged out after a long hifi show. 

But yes, maybe I’ll host a small gtg so that others can have a listen (subject to spousal approval as it will be a school night) 

4 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Yep...that has been known around the traps for a while now...

Its why I have not purchased any Capilano honey for over 18 months...

Supposedly to identify conclusively what is maybe in pure honey that should not be there, has until now has been very difficult or impossible to do .  Now these special tests done in Germany have identified other significant "ingredients" in some honeys especially from you guessed it primarily China.  It is not in all honey from Caplilano.  Only their Allowrie label.  Other honeys from Aldi etc are also suspect

John

24 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Supposedly to identify conclusively what is maybe in pure honey that should not be there, has until now has been very difficult or impossible to do .  Now these special tests done in Germany have identified other significant "ingredients" in some honeys especially from you guessed it primarily China.  It is not in all honey from Caplilano.  Only their Allowrie label.  Other honeys from Aldi etc are also suspect

John

What, baby formula in honey B)

On ‎3‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Eddierukiddingvarese said:

What I want is a Valve powered DAC:)

On ‎3‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Ittaku said:

Well, you can get a DAC with valves in the output stage or as a power source rectifier. The former are not that rare. But making an actual DAC out of valves only would make it about the size of a tall building...

Or this, a genuine valve DAC:-

HD Valve Digital input (HD-VDi)* This is AMR's atypical brainchild of using a New Old Stock (NOS) 6N11 high-speed valve designed to operate into several 100Mhz to amplify and purify the high-definition SPDIF signal with zero feedback. Clearly visible on an oscilloscope, with HD-VDi, the signal changes from a blurred to clean and sharp SPDIF signal. Any deficiency in the incoming SPDIF is completely removed.

I know this thread is supposed to be about discovering that something is snake-oil after purchase and I've found the sound from the AMR DP777 to be excellent, but having valve digital input sure comes across as a bit snakey. (not that it hisses or anything like that) 

No, I know that it's not valves that do the converting.

Edited by Grimmie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grimmie said:

Or this, a genuine valve DAC:-

HD Valve Digital input (HD-VDi)* This is AMR's atypical brainchild of using a New Old Stock (NOS) 6N11 high-speed valve designed to operate into several 100Mhz to amplify and purify the high-definition SPDIF signal with zero feedback. Clearly visible on an oscilloscope, with HD-VDi, the signal changes from a blurred to clean and sharp SPDIF signal. Any deficiency in the incoming SPDIF is completely removed.

I know this thread is supposed to be about discovering that something is snake-oil after purchase and I've found the sound from the AMR DP777 to be excellent, but having valve digital input sure comes across as a bit snakey. (not that it hisses or anything like that) 

No, I know that it's not valves that do the converting.

As long as it cost less than $100K ;)

3 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Bryan is a very generous chap. 

I’m concerned about wasting his time, particularly as he’s likely to be tired and shagged out after a long hifi show. 

But yes, maybe I’ll host a small gtg so that others can have a listen (subject to spousal approval as it will be a school night) 

i have thought long and sharp about this Trev and have prepared the following on your behalf.

Dear Teacher,

Rather than incriminate either of my parents in the reason for my poorly executed weekend homework assignment, my dilemma centres around a number possible scenarios that I was faced with last night.

Initially I was briefly disturbed by my father asking how much was in my university future fund bequested by my late uncle. Only later did I venture out from my room to find the living room casually scattered with men who seemed very comfortably at home with glasses of red wine and chatting about "isolation devices". When asking my father WTF, he proceeded to introduce me to his internet "friends" and insisted I sit in the sweet spot.

At this point in time I decided there was one of 3 choices.

A. Run away from home and join a travelling brew craft hipster bus.

B. Run quickly out the door and find the nearest Glen Iris tattoo parlour and convert the shock of it all to black ink pain.

C. Suck it up Princess and fulfill my dads dream of engaging in the love of music and hifidelity.

please may I be excused from swimming this afternoon as I still have the gladwrap on and Tony from Tony's Tats said that I need to not get it wet for at least 4 days otherwise my arm will drop off.

yours sincerely,

student.

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Sure ... but consider that the different room could easily produce such a different response (+/- many dBs or more) that the presentation of the sound might be so different that he could not clearly tell the difference.

The effect of the room, and positioning of the sources/listener produce differences which are enormous compared to electronics.

@davewantsmoore

I wonder whether we are confusing each other.  Are you trying to say that a high quality room may not enable a listener to differentiate the benefits between a high and low quality DAC?   Surely high quality electronics in a high quality room should be even better again still, than low quality electronics in a high quality room.  The overall synergistic benefits of all the inputs into the total system experience would prevail.

The reverse would also be the case with high quality electronics in a low quality room.  The full potential would not be achieved.  Hence the comments in this thread about some not good experiences with high quality electronics in low quality rooms at shows. 

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, guru said:

i have thought long and sharp about this Trev and have prepared the following on your behalf.

Dear Teacher,

Rather than incriminate either of my parents in the reason for my poorly executed weekend homework assignment, my dilemma centres around a number possible scenarios that I was faced with last night.

Initially I was briefly disturbed by my father asking how much was in my university future fund bequested by my late uncle. Only later did I venture out from my room to find the living room casually scattered with men who seemed very comfortably at home with glasses of red wine and chatting about "isolation devices". When asking my father WTF, he proceeded to introduce me to his internet "friends" and insisted I sit in the sweet spot.

B. Run quickly out the door and find the nearest Glen Iris tattoo parlour and convert the shock of it all to black ink pain.

C. Suck it up Princess and fulfill my dads dream of engaging in the love of music and hifidelity.

please may I be excused from swimming this afternoon as I still have the gladwrap on and Tony from Tony's Tats said that I need to not get it wet for at least 4 days otherwise my arm will drop off.

yours sincerely,

student.

gold :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Assisi said:

@davewantsmoore

I wonder whether we are confusing each other.

Probably, sorry. :)

I was trying to say that if you listened to a DAC in one room... and another DAC in another room ..... then you might not be able to really tell the difference between the DACs.   Or similar versions of this conundrum.

51 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Surely high quality electronics in a high quality room should be even better again still, than low quality electronics in a high quality room.

I see what you mean.   Yes, sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Volunteer
On 04/09/2018 at 5:26 PM, Guest guru said:

Dear Teacher,

yours sincerely,

student.

Anyone know where @guru is?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a HDMI cable worth $4,50 5m at office works thinking to replace it once i get better ones..

Since than iv never changed it, picture is perfect & sound , mind you its connected to a full home theatre surround, power amps, 120 projector screen 1080p, dedicated av and oppo 105

• 7 months later...

Audio Desk Disc Improver, from non believer to believer. One of my main reasons I went to streaming, and HDD storage.

Power cables, from non believers to non believer.

Speaker cables and IC's, from believer to non believer, to educated believer.

Power filters, from believer to non believer to, subject to change. *

Computer software tweaks, from believer to non believer.

High end computer audio hardware, from non believer to, subject to change. *

* Subject to change; first impression is a change for the better, once I start comparing A vs B I can't find a difference. Realistically I can't tell a difference , subjectly I do notice a difference. But the realist in me refuses to spend a lot of $$$$ on a vague believe.

• Like 3

On 02/09/2018 at 11:50 AM, Ittaku said:

There's no doubt of the price/improvement relationship being stacked against DACs. 10x the cost in speakers is dramatically obvious, 10x the cost in amps is quite obvious, 10x the cost in DACs is very subtle... 

The difference between my Chord 2qute and Naim ND5 XS DACs is the same or greater than the differecne between my ATC SCM 19 and my old PMC Twenty.23.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2018 at 8:27 AM, davewantsmoore said:

Sure ... but consider that the different room could easily produce such a different response (+/- many dBs or more) that the presentation of the sound might be so different that he could not clearly tell the difference.

The effect of the room, and positioning of the sources/listener produce differences which are enormous compared to electronics. 

I can tell the difference when moving my speakers around in the room, but I still can't tell the difference when I move around the room less than 1m. I hear a difference in bass only when moving between 0cm and 50cm from a wall, and a slight change when moving more than 1.5m closer or further from the speakers, but moving less than 1m I hear no difference.

• Like 1

Guest DarkNark

Curious usb cable

Luckily I auditioned it and could bring it back, so possibly not entirely in keeping with the thread. I struggled to hear any difference between it and a generic cable. Taught me a very valuable lesson regarding internet hype/internet reviews.