Anything you considered snake oil AFTER you bought it?

Ittaku

As the topic says, I'm not asking what people here think is snake oil, so this is quite a different question. We all have our own preconceived ideas about what does and does not affect the sound quality, but thanks to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias, chances are the vast majority of our purchases will make us believe there's a difference there regardless. This is not a question for those who've auditioned something and didn't hear a difference and therefore refused to buy it, or those who purchased something already not believing there'd be a difference and then didn't hear one - this is a question for those who bought something expecting a difference, and then disappointed because they did NOT. My gut feeling is choice supportive bias will mean that it is close to zero. However if there IS anyone out there that's had this experience, I would love to hear about it (and especially what the component was!)

• Like 3

OK I'll start with a couple:

1. Schuman Resonance generator   - I  know some swear by them  and I kinda thought I could hear differences. But when I asked my wife to randomly turn the unit on and off without telling me when she was doing it I couldn't pick any differences.    Of course those more attuned or with better hearing might think otherwise. 

2. CD Disc balancer -  A disc that sits on top of the CD -It was cheap so I tried it to no avail.   However, the Audiodeske Disc improver /lathe does make a positive difference but  its expensive.

3. Bybees - I partook in a group experiment  and was underwhelmed to put it mildly.  

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, Tasso said:

OK I'll start with a couple:

1. Schuman Resonance generator   - I  know some swear by them  and I kinda thought I could hear differences. But when I asked my wife to randomly turn the unit on and off without telling me when she was doing it I couldn't pick any differences.    Of course those more attuned or with better hearing might think otherwise. 

2. CD Disc balancer -  A disc that sits on top of the CD -It was cheap so I tried it to no avail.   However, the Audiodeske Disc improver /lathe does make a positive difference but  its expensive.

3. Bybees - I partook in a group experiment  and was underwhelmed to put it mildly. 

Thanks. Very interesting. I've only ever ventured into no. 2 of the above and I have to agree I couldn't hear anything. That and the green texta which was the craze 20 years ago.

• Haha 1

Almost all the cables and accessories - after the honeymoon period I don’t hear anything different. I don’t bother experimenting anymore but then the curiosity kicks in again every once in a while because so many people ramble about it.

The only ‘tweaks’ that I felt made actual improvement has been the springs for isolating tts.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Happy said:

Almost all the cables and accessories - after the honeymoon period I don’t hear anything different. I don’t bother experimenting anymore but then the curiosity kicks in again every once in a while because so many people ramble about it.

The only ‘tweaks’ that I felt made actual improvement has been the springs for isolating tts.

Wow that's a big category. So how do you decide on which cables and accessories to keep? Do you end up keeping the "better ones" just in case they actually do sound better? I personally do hear differences in cables - interconnects and speaker cables, but usually it's just "different" rather than necessarily "better" which makes it frustrating so I stopped cable rolling a while back.

As for the TT, isolating a mechanical device is a no-brainer :P

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Wow that's a big category. So how do you decide on which cables and accessories to keep? Do you end up keeping the "better ones" just in case they actually do sound better? I personally do hear differences in cables - interconnects and speaker cables, but usually it's just "different" rather than necessarily "better" which makes it frustrating so I stopped cable rolling a while back.

As for the TT, isolating a mechanical device is a no-brainer :P

Yes some minuscule differences when you’re feeling picky but nothing that get me worried. I just stick with specification matching when I can. When I can’t be bothered I don’t care. Where there is a cheap choice for fancier stuff why not. But some fancy ICs piss me off due to their fragile construction. Rather prefer the cheapest spaghetti cords. Same with optical cables. Cheapest light stuff is the most convenient and wouldn’t damage the input connection easily. Expensive heavy ones can damage them.

Re isolation many believe isolating amps etc yield sonic improvement but to me not really. Maybe tube amps sometimes but that might be because I’m partial to them. But isolation devices look cool so I don’t mind them.

Room treatment, speaker placement and crossover tampering actually make meaningful difference IME. No need to be an audiophile to tell the difference. Even amp matching is overrated IMO. 

But then again I change my mind often and like to participate in experiments :)

• Like 1

I used to run big thick welding cable type speaker cables (quad core linear crystal) but 30 years later and some broken amp speaker terminals later - I just use normal reasonable speaker cable these days. Any deficiency in bass/sound etc is down to amps, speakers and speaker placement/ room acoustics etc ;) 

• Like 2

I’ve played with dedicated power lines, interconnects and speaker cables a fair bit. I wouldn’t call the results ‘snake oil’ but I would say they are subtle and it is a lot of work to make the comparisons doubt free. 

I am lucky that I have been able to afford to undertake the comparisons without worrying about having to keep only a single product. 

Once I made my choice I don’t usually return to the comparison.  Except for amplification.

• Like 4

I tried those green, plastic Sound Improvement Discs (or SIDs) on top of my cds and couldn't detect a whit of difference.  Tried a few trimmed cds too, couldn't hear anything there either.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
On 13/08/2018 at 10:57 AM, Tasso said:

Bybees - I partook in a group experiment  and was underwhelmed to put it mildly.  

Same here. 

Also, I bought into the whole R2R ladder dac thing. Reality for me is that the benefit (for me) is not worth the money if it even exists at all

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Same here. 

Sure, but did you believe that particular one would make a difference beforehand? I certainly wouldn't have... Though now I'm showing my biases.

• Volunteer
16 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Sure, but did you believe that particular one would make a difference beforehand? I certainly wouldn't have... Though now I'm showing my biases.

I see your point. No, it met my expectations so strictly I guess it should not be included. Oops 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

I have found that marriage doesn't live up to the promise but that's just me, and I assume me ex's would agree. :D 

We're not discussing snakeoil in the bedroom bro ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
30 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I have found that marriage doesn't live up to the promise but that's just me, and I assume me ex's would agree. :D 

I knew in my brain it wasn’t gonna work on a long run right from the beginning so I wasn’t totally biased I guess damn. I’d still call it a large bottle of snake oil.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Never feel alone in believing that statement Daz.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Snakeoil , cables & cable lifters?   I suggest that the differences cables make can be audible ( under certain conditions) but  we often don't realise how small the difference is in the overall scene of things. It seems that you need to be very tuned in to your system listening critically over a period of time to pick the difference new cables can make.  Where I have done that and asked others to hear the differences with blind testing,  they could pick up a slight difference - particularly if they were familiar with my system.   Those same people had no chance of picking differences if the new cables were auditioned on a different day or time from the original.   

As far as cable lifters go, I did some unscientific trials where i thought I could hear something positive with speaker  cables off the ground. I couldn't really repeat that with blind testing on the day but since I made my own for zero cost, I kept them  as a talking point.  I'm not saying that there is nothing to them  but for the cost of some at $150  for each lifter, someone is having a go.

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 2