2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

On the other end of the spectrum, the BenQ W2700 will arrive in February. Improvements over the W1700 include more glass/elements lens with 10% vertical lens shift, 96% DCI P3 (lumens rating drops to 2000 vs the W1700), better dynamic contrast (20/30k:1) and auto tone mapping! Pretty feature packed for a projector with an intended RRP of $2499! 

now this is an interesting development !  note this is for the pana ub9000 to work with jvc, I understand the 820 doesnt have this,

from purpleX who is in japan... 

"JVC Japan has just updated the marketing blurb for the new projectors to include a new section on Auto-tone mapping in conjunction with the new Panasonic DP-UB 9000 UHD player. This player is basically a 820 in an oppo like case.

Essentially the Japanese text says that there are two new settings on the Panasonic player, High bright Projector (emphasizes highlights) and basic bright Projector (emphasizes color reproduction) that are designed to specifically work in conjunction with JVC auto tone mapping.

Decoding what this means I would guess than the Panasonic player sends meta data to the JVC when these modes are on which results in correct settings in the JVC so it doesn't screw things up..

Edit: 
The title implies this, but it is unclear in the blurb if it means that that the Auto tone mapping in the JVC was developed in conjunction with Panasonic (ie same algorithm when dealing with HDR10) or the settings in the Panasonic was developed to work with the JVC (I'm guessing the later) it is possible I guess that the Panasonic can use HDR10+ and maybe DV metadata to further improve the tone mapping)"

• Administrator
On 16/01/2019 at 2:55 PM, DoggieHowser said:

On the other end of the spectrum, the BenQ W2700 will arrive in February. Improvements over the W1700 include more glass/elements lens with 10% vertical lens shift, 96% DCI P3 (lumens rating drops to 2000 vs the W1700), better dynamic contrast (20/30k:1) and auto tone mapping! Pretty feature packed for a projector with an intended RRP of $2499! 

Just ignore all published specs on the W2700, online. They're all fake, and no official specs have been released yet, I'm told.

• Like 1

I am not sure anyone has google translated the jvc page on tone mapping .this is fascinating !!!

google translated it below,

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww3.jvckenwood.com%2Fprojector%2Fdla-v9r%2Ffeature02.html%23mapping

Developed HDR image optimized tone mapping setting for projectors in cooperation with Panasonic Corporation

In cooperation with Panasonic Corporation, we developed a setting to optimize the HDR image for the projector. 
The company's Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player DP-UB 9000 has "Projector-specific setting" as a display type for automatic HDR tone map, and optimizes the image to the brightness and color tailored to the projector. By selecting the projector's exclusive setting (high brightness projector or basic brightness projector) on the DP - UB 9000 side and combining it with the "auto tone mapping" function of JVC, the color tone of the rich bright part of the HDR image work You can enjoy the tone expression of the dark part more faithfully. ※ 3 
· By selecting a high brightness projector, you can reproduce images with excellent color tone and gradation expression while maintaining the peak feeling. 
· If you select a projector with basic brightness, you can reproduce images with more emphasis on color reproducibility. 

* 3: Depending on the video work, effects may not be obtained.

hdr_mapping.png

Cooperative Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player

dp_ub9000.png
DP-UB 9000

* For details, please check product information on Panasonic. 
https://panasonic.jp/bdplayer/products/ub9000/hdr.html#mapping

On 16/01/2019 at 2:55 PM, DoggieHowser said:

great news .........do you mean feb 1 or feb 28

On 17/01/2019 at 2:12 PM, Marc said:

Just ignore all published specs on the W2700, online. They're all fake, and no official specs have been released yet, I'm told.

I was shown an internal memo of the W2700 by the BenQ rep - hopefully that meant it was real.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, betty boop said:

I am not sure anyone has google translated the jvc page on tone mapping .this is fascinating !!!

google translated it below,

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww3.jvckenwood.com%2Fprojector%2Fdla-v9r%2Ffeature02.html%23mapping

They weren't kidding when they said the 9000 would have some more tidbits eh Al :) as Dave intimated it must be very hard to avoid a new JVC when the 9000 is already in place B)

By selecting a high brightness projector, you can reproduce images with excellent color tone and gradation expression while maintaining the peak feeling. 

I wonder if this option is more oriented towards the higher lumen n7 rather than the n5 ? Good the whole jvc range is compatible anyway ;)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cwt said:

They weren't kidding when they said the 9000 would have some more tidbits eh Al :) as Dave intimated it must be very hard to avoid a new JVC when the 9000 is already in place B)

I wonder if this option is more oriented towards the higher lumen n7 rather than the n5 ? Good the whole jvc range is compatible anyway ;)

In my opinion.  i think you will find the N5 just as bright as the N7  ( ignore spec sheets)  ..... they use the SAME bulb...

As per previously , i still have an X5000 and X9900......the X5000 is actually brighter than the X9900 :)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cwt said:

hi CWT the google translated note from panasonic on their tone mapping shows it is optimised to be combined with JVCs 9, 7 and 5 series  so looks like will work with all three in the range :) light output ofcourse is dependant just as much with screen size, gain, throw and lumens.

https://translate.google.com/transla...000%2Fhdr.html

"Developed exclusively for projector in cooperation with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd.
The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map. 
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 . 
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cwt said:

C'mon @betty boop . You know you want to. ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

I was shown an internal memo of the W2700 by the BenQ rep - hopefully that meant it was real.

Definitely set my eyes on this to replace my 1080P Benq. The spec does not look unrealistic so hopefully it is not too far off. And a well implemented auto iris that can do deeper fade to black is my number one most wanted feature for a DLP. Last concern is how well it can handle the gray border. No reason for me to say no if Benq is doing it all with a street price close to 2K. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

Yes absolutely. The specs and official release are just not in the public domain. As mentioned, there's a couple of websites listing info and specs, which are not correct. ?

On 19/01/2019 at 11:16 AM, PKK said:

The spec does not look unrealistic so hopefully it is not too far off.

Actually the "specs" are wildly optimistic just like ALL DPL based projectors from the likes of BenQ and others using the same Texas Instruments optical system. If you divide the contrast spec by 10 your will be closer to the mark, and actual peak lumens will almost certainly be well under "spec" when colour is calibrated to be accurate. The typical drop is about 30% and often more.

Do your self a favour and forget about "specs" they are just marketing, especially when comparing projectors from different maufacturers. Concentrate on actual real world test results with calibrated colour.

• Like 1

I understand manufacturers inflate their performance numbers to boost sale. I am rather concern about its functions such as the level of 3D support, all glass lens, DCI-P3, auto HDR, HLG, active iris, vertical lens shift, long lamp life and so on. It is simply packing all I want in a pj on paper and how well it is implementing them has to wait and see. 

These days many pj boast a contrast ratio of over a million to 1 while this Benq only 30K, even the similar DLP JVC is saying 100K, I think Benq is quite moderate in this regard. 

Although I have a X9900 and love it, I still enjoy watching movies and sport with my FHD Benq. Looking back in history I have paid over $800 for a replacement lamp of a 2002 Sony LCD pj which cost me $14K back then and I hate it since day one. That's why I am amazed to see how good a $1K Benq can do. Not even my decade old Sony SXRD can compete in brightness and black. So if this new Benq can do it all and well for $2K then I am sold. 

Benq eu has the spec of W2700 listed. Hopefully it is official this time.

https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/w2700/specifications1.html

I understand manufacturers inflate their performance numbers to boost sale. I am rather concern about its functions such as the level of 3D support, all glass lens, DCI-P3, auto HDR, HLG, active iris, vertical lens shift, long lamp life and so on. It is simply packing all I want in a pj on paper and how well it is implementing them has to wait and see. 

These days many pj boast a contrast ratio of over a million to 1 while this Benq only 30K, even the similar DLP JVC is saying 100K, I think Benq is quite moderate in this regard. 

Although I have a X9900 and love it, I still enjoy watching movies and sport with my FHD Benq. Looking back in history I have paid over $800 for a replacement lamp of a 2002 Sony LCD pj which cost me $14K back then and I hate it since day one. That's why I am amazed to see how good a $1K Benq can do. Not even my decade old Sony SXRD can compete in brightness and black. So if this new Benq can do it all and well for $2K then I am sold. 

Benq eu has the spec of W2700 listed. Hopefully it is official this time.

https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/w2700/specifications1.html

Just a query the Panasonic ub9000 has two HDMI outputs, would it be of any benefit to use one directly to projector and the other for audio?
Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, poppybob said:

Just a query the Panasonic ub9000 has two HDMI outputs, would it be of any benefit to use one directly to projector and the other for audio?
Thanks in advance.

dont... unless you want to create opportunity of lip synch ... as both the audio and video will no longer be linked and be processed separately. better to keep audio and video via same connection and this way it is the video that actually keeps audio in synch. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 3:08 PM, betty boop said:

now this is an interesting development !  note this is for the pana ub9000 to work with jvc, I understand the 820 doesnt have this,

from purpleX who is in japan... 

"JVC Japan has just updated the marketing blurb for the new projectors to include a new section on Auto-tone mapping in conjunction with the new Panasonic DP-UB 9000 UHD player. This player is basically a 820 in an oppo like case.

Essentially the Japanese text says that there are two new settings on the Panasonic player, High bright Projector (emphasizes highlights) and basic bright Projector (emphasizes color reproduction) that are designed to specifically work in conjunction with JVC auto tone mapping.

Decoding what this means I would guess than the Panasonic player sends meta data to the JVC when these modes are on which results in correct settings in the JVC so it doesn't screw things up..

Edit: 
The title implies this, but it is unclear in the blurb if it means that that the Auto tone mapping in the JVC was developed in conjunction with Panasonic (ie same algorithm when dealing with HDR10) or the settings in the Panasonic was developed to work with the JVC (I'm guessing the later) it is possible I guess that the Panasonic can use HDR10+ and maybe DV metadata to further improve the tone mapping)"

I think it's meant to make the JVC PJ's act similarly to the way LG TV's do with Active HDR 

I got the call from Clef yesterday ... N5 and N7s expected to be delivered mid/late Feb.

I put my order and deposit on an N5 this morning.

It’s going to be a long wait.

edit: limited numbers, pre-orders required with a second shipment due end March/April.

Edited by warroon
  • Like 2

Just now, warroon said:

I got the call from Cleff yesterday ... N5 and N7s expected to be delivered mid/late Feb.

I put my order and deposit on an N5 this morning.

It’s going to be a long wait.

I've been told a very limited number (like 4-5 units) of NX9 (1 unit), N7 (2 units), and N5 (1 unit) will arrive in country in the next week or two, with more to follow in February...  I placed an order for a DLA-N7 in September 2018 and I don't expect I'll get my N7 until mid to late February 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davo1972 said:

I've been told a very limited number (like 4-5 units) of NX9 (1 unit), N7 (2 units), and N5 (1 unit) will arrive in country in the next week or two, with more to follow in February...  I placed an order for a DLA-N7 in September 2018 and I don't expect I'll get my N7 until mid to late February 2019. 

I reckon they will be for select retailers (and possibly reviewers) to install prior to the first batch of orders.