2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

Just now, warroon said:

I reckon they will be for select retailers (and possibly reviewers) to install prior to the first batch of orders.

Totally agree. My dealer is (strongly) trying to advocate with JVC Aus on my behalf for me to get one of the N7s (given I ordered an N7 immediately after they were announced at IFA in late August 2018), but I don't like my chances of getting a unit in the first, very limited batch....

• Like 1

On 13/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, minireza said:

Problem for me, is that I knew I was going down a deep dark pathway meeting with Wavetrain. His expertise in acoustics and cinema design is second to none. So much so, I really am re-thinking my strategy moving forward; I need an AT screen in my life having seen how good the image looked with the screen (and all the associated benefits having an AT Screen will afford me in my space), but that means re-designing what LCR I would put up front. But in doing an AT Screen, it would allow me to really stretch the legs of the Benq size wize. I'm talking a 4.5 - 4.8 metre wide screen. Only issue, money.

Going down that path means buying Benq LK990, Lumagen, AT Screen, new LCR and i'm nigh on $40,000 in the hole (that ain't gonna happen for now). 

David from Wavetrain designed and installed my HT about 5 years ago and has kept in touch with opportunities to upgrade things. He got in touch early in the New Year with some options to upgrade to 4K. I took him up on the Benq LK990 and Lumagen Pro option, which he installed and calibrated Thursday/Friday this week, replacing a SIM2 Nero 3D projector, a CAVX MkIV lens/slide and an Oppo 105AU. I have just watched my first 4K disc and am blown away with the change in my system.

• Like 4

Oops, I just checked the email again ... second shipment is March/April ... so later than I first said.

Clef have said they will have an N5 on display when the first batch arrives.

Edited by warroon

20 minutes ago, warroon said:

Oops, I just checked the email again ... second shipment is March/April ... so later than I first said.

Clef have said they will have an N5 on display when the first batch arrives.

I just can’t fathom why they wouldn’t display the NX-7. Middle of the range, best of the bunch I reckon. 

• Like 2

Klapp have a sale currently on the JVCs and they are saying they have 2* NX7s instock.  I guess the first allotment has landed.

NX7- $9550

NX9- $21,439

With talk over on AVS with some owners experiencing clicking noise due to the DI on the projectors and some saying theirs are noise free, how are JVC Australia at swapping over units in the past that have issues (depending on stock availability)?   Don't want to end up with a clicking NX7 only to then have difficulty getting it replaced with a non clicking unit.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Klapp have a sale currently on the JVCs and they are saying they have 2* NX7s instock.  I guess the first allotment has landed.

NX7- $9550

NX9- $21,439

With talk over on AVS with some owners experiencing clicking noise due to the DI on the projectors and some saying theirs are noise free, how are JVC Australia at swapping over units in the past that have issues (depending on stock availability)?   Don't want to end up with a clicking NX7 only to then have difficulty getting it replaced with a non clicking unit.

hi spizz, DOA with projectors are always a possibility(why I never suggest buying grey). these things are very delicate and our shipping companies here too are not kind and these things not only travel a long ways to get here, but also have to traverse a BIG country to get to us. its always best to work with a retailer that is right on it, responsive and working to customers interests. I've had DOA projectors from two brands and have learnt this very soon !  as to response... depends on your dealer. With the JVC I have, the first one came in as DOA. I had a replacement organised on the next shipment and had it before they even picked up the DOA one !. thats how good service is/can be. but the retailer is crucial. there are some crooks out there and some retailers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Just check likes of product review as we dont name and shame here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

NX7- $9550

NX9- $21,439

Are you getting that from the website or have you spoken to them? They've listed 2 in stock for at least a month when I first came across the discount on their website. They don't have any in stock. Spoke to them last week. Probably March or April he reckons. No one has pre-ordered through them yet as everyone wants to see one in working first.

Here is someones little review of the N5........(german translation).

Dedicated TBV optimized home cinema with a 3.3m wide acoustically transparent screen by Elunevision. Seating distance to Leinand 3.5m. The feed is made via a madVR with the latest Algos by Anna and Flo. Previous projector is the X7900 (200 hours on the lamp) and later refer to my comparisons of visual impressions. And before some scream out that you have to compare the N5 so rather with a X5900 or the N7 with the X7900: I have now neither an X5900 here nor a N7 one. In addition, I consider purely price-class-related, the comparison between N5 and X7900 for justified. The missing Specs like DCI cover by the filter of the X7900 and the lower Scharzwert are well aware of 5.gif 

optics and processing
The N5 is a real ship and on the other hand, the 7900 looks almost dainty. The matte look of the N5 has something and the sheer dimensions are really big. I think the look of the new N series really sexy, but can also understand that this size bothers one or the other. He looks more like a cinema projector than a home theater projector. The processing of the device is impeccable and very valuable. 

Operation
The menu and the possibility to save 10 optical settings incl. Blanking is really nice. The whole operation is as you know it and follows the familiar JVC pattern. However, the operation is now a bit more fluid and there are a few settings options to do so. 
The sync times have improved considerably and finally finally arrived in 2019.

First impression 
Convergence and sharpness are really impressive on the N5. A correction by pixel adjustment is not necessary and perfect out of the box. The sharpness is also exemplary to the edges of the picture and does not fall off. I could not make out a pixel error. The volume is lower than in the already quiet X series. Both in low and high mode. It is rather a dull noise and a pleasant sound. In particular, the high lamp mode, I feel in comparison to the 7900 as much more pleasant, so I'll probably use this future for the HDR playback. 

image impression
The brightness is very good and is approximately at the level of the X7900 without filters. Native contrast is expected to be worse than the 7900. However, this is hardly noticeable in normal movie operation. The sharpness is similar to my impressions even on 3.27 m width almost with the Eshift 5 of the X7900. Almost only. With the native 4k panel there are slight advantages in favor of the N5. Out of the box, the N5 has a slight green cast. Thus, the picture impression is somehow different, but by ne calibration you get that certainly away. 

The FI. is much better for my taste than the 7900, but still to see, but also wins the N5 compared to the FI of the X7900, which I never use. Let us now turn to the Holy Grail 4.gif In direct comparison, the N5 visibly roars less and less less in my opinion, this has improved. Although I saw a lot of clean movies and still noticed the lower noise of the N5. I have to say, however, that the so-called noise has not disturbed even the previous generations as it seems to be the case with others. For me, the picture looks very vivid and the depth effect is really great. I can not derive a too low ANSI from my subjective impressions. Overall, the silence has increased for me and is now at Sony level.

To the colors in general. The N5 also makes top colors. From Holland red tomatoes. Bullshit ... The Marvel logo looks really good on both the N5 and the X7900. How high the DCI coverage actually is, I can not say because of missing measuring instruments. 

Conclusion
Whether an upgrade is worthwhile or not, everyone has to decide for themselves first. The devices are close to each other and at the same time there are differences. The N5 is less noisy and slightly sharper. The moving image display is better and the FI and the menu are already quite superior to the X7900. The annoying Synczeiten are finally history. The 7900 makes the better black level, but in the film itself as good as never noticed negatively. I expect to see from the pure without having measured the projectors from 1-2% ADL upwards relatively similar contrast values.

That the first N series the X series completely enters the bin, was not to be expected for me. Nevertheless, the product has evolved evolutionarily and the differences are certainly greater than between VW 520/550/570 or X7000 / 7500/7900. 

Therefore, the N5 may stay and now is just a 3 months old X7900 for sale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/01/2019 at 8:50 PM, warroon said:

I reckon they will be for select retailers (and possibly reviewers) to install prior to the first batch of orders.

They're not. They simply fill orders based on when they come in. I sold all 3 N7's (one is my demo unit).

I note oztheatres post in the other thread, means some folks got their N5's ? care to share how they are finding them ? 

looks like n7/9 still some ways away for us down this way :)

3 hours ago, oztheatre said:

N5's arrived the other day, all sold.

N7's coming in about 2 weeks, more delays.

couple of NX9's went to NZ (NZ is part of JVC Australia now)

not sure on aussies that have got their n5's but one of the kiwi's with NX9 has surfaced in Rapallo on avs who can hold back his excitement with the new projector vs the jvc x9900 replaced :)

Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
let me tell you this, the NX9 I have is one million times better than the X9900, its just blowing me away and I have the best and biggest smile on my face I have had in years!!!!My curved 145" ScopE screen looks absolutly amazing, its so good it takes my breath away!

Ive been going through so many of my 1500+ BDs and HDR films using madvr and watching bits here and there testing everything, its just out of this world this proj. Its so exciting and so good I havent even had time to come to the forum and report the good news, this projector excites me so much.... I have amazing blacks on it, even though most said they would be worse than the X9900, but I dont see that at all, my blacks are amazing and so is everything else....!!!

Its all soooo good I really dont care that much now about the sync times not being as fast as I hoped for... And Im not doing a hard sell as I dont sell projectors wink.gif All this is coming from an X cinema projectionist of some 35+ yearswink.gif
  • Like 1

Ok so a German review has the N5 pretty much on par with the x7900 and a kiwi review has the N9 light years ahead of the x9900. 

Maybe the N9 is just that much better than the N5 and at the price point it should be. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Scotttj said:

Ok so a German review has the N5 pretty much on par with the x7900 and a kiwi review has the N9 light years ahead of the x9900. 

Maybe the N9 is just that much better than the N5 and at the price point it should be. 

Agreed and even at the previously mentioned discounted price point of the NX9 it is still well over three times more expensive than the run out price of the X9900, so any comparison seams pointless as the NX9 is a whole different level of projector..

Whereas when a comparison of a NX7 to the X9900 comes up that will be of interest to me.

cheers Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scotttj said:

jvc's older 7 series are certainly no slouch ! and probably why nx7 will be the piggy in the middle everyone will want to know about,

more from rapallo sharing more on context of his comments,

"I think what some people need to realise is no two rooms will look the same, its dependant on so many things...
I have only used Nigels FOX test, full black and contrast/brightness 16/235 tests.
I have had every top of the range JVC since they first started.
I know what to look for but am not a calibrator.
After 35+ years in the top city projection rooms in Auckland and Sydney, I know what a good image looks like....
What my room will do to help any proj, other rooms may hinder good results...

To start, my room is a bat cave, the screen is large 145" scope Stewart microperf curved ST130, it makes my picture SING!
(All my other past woven screens used in this room made my pictures dull and lifeless)
I use a cineslide with an IscoIIIL lens, madvr with some magic sauce "high" settings and a 1080ti video card.
I can even play DVD through profiles created which improve the image using NGU-AA, the 1080ti card allows NGU SHARP VERY HIGH for upscaling BDs (this too helps and isn’t available on players)
Madvr does a lot to the image upscaling to 4K, I don’t use any enhancements on the NX9, no need to with madvr.

So coming from a X9900 to a NX9, these are the positive improvements I see.
Sharper
Better shadow detail
Better motion
Finally a great DI, without pumping
Better easy to use HDR
Brighter
Better blacks

I really haven’t had any negatives so far, except I wish they could still improve sync times. I haven’t seen the NX7 or 5, I don’t even wish to, Im over the moon with the NX9!
I don’t sell projectors, I’m not in the industry.

I had a friend come in from one of NZs top AV automation companies, they do very high end work in NZ, super yachts all over the world etc etc…, his comment was wow, it’s just like a giant oled.
I have two 65" LG oleds in the house and I prefer the NX9 any day!

The NX9 is the very best projector I have ever owned, it kills all the rest Ive had. I only ever had one Sony, that was the 1100, I will not venture back…."

15 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

well getting very excited.....paid for my N5 today (thanks Rich).

Now to just wait very patiently......? 

ah excellent ! look forward to hearing how find it :)

• Like 1

some feedback from ronald epstein on avs, a n7 owner, now having done some initial adjustments from out of box,

"I want to apologize again to everyone for posting initial impressions of the JVC-2000/NX7 out of the box without knowing what additional settings needed to be made.

Though I have owned a 1080p (Sony HW55ES) for several years, I have relied on a professional calibration to get me optimal picture quality. I don't know anything about properly setting up a projector on my own, and I had hoped that out of the box, this JVC would be somewhat optimized for immediate jaw-dropping clarity.

Obviously, it was not.

Thanks to the suggestions I received here, I did a little tinkering with the picture mode. Right now I am using NATURAL as my picture mode but I do know that the projector automatically goes into HDR10 mode when a 4k is playing. So, I concentrated on making adjustments within both those modes.

I went into Picture Settings and could not find the Iris control. I finally found it in ADVANCED settings. As all of you suggested, I set it to AUTO 2. Did this for both NATURAL and HDR10 modes.

Next, I went into MPC and leveled both ENHANCE and SMOOTHNESS down to "0"

I didn't fool with any color settings. Just chose to play with those functions.  

I watched two titles tonight. The first, Mission Impossible: Fallout

For most of the feature, I did see an uptick from Blu-ray. The best way I can describe the improvement is that everything is "tighter." By that, I mean the focus, the color stability, and details --- especially in close-ups of faces where skin traits really come to the surface.  

The closing act of the film takes place in Kashmir, India. The film opens up to IMAX aspect and I find myself looking at a helicopter chase high above the snow-peaked Himalayan Mountains. This is where my jaw dropped wide open. Looking down upon the mountain terrain with its valleys of pristine blue water, my eyes just widened with delight. It actually looked OLED quality -- something I did not expect to see.  

So, absolutely opening up the IRIS and making the necessary adjustments was exactly what needed to be done to appreciate what projected 4k is all about.

I then popped in A Beautiful Planet, which is an IMAX 4k release from Mill Creek.

This was an exceptional title to show off black levels as well as some stunning imagery of our planet from space. The black levels were excellent, though still a bit short of what I would expect from OLED. I really don't know if you can get OLED blacks from a projection. However, they were absolutely better than they were out-of-the-box before I made the additional adjustments.  

The images of inside the Russian spacecraft and of the Earth below are remarkable. Razor sharp would be the best way to describe it. I came to that conclusion after I swapped out the 4k for the Blu-ray version and started watching again at the 8-minute mark. What was pinpoint sharp on the 4k, now looked softer and a bit blurred on the Blu-ray version. There was no doubt that I was seeing an additional level of precise detail when looking at the 4k picture over the Blu-ray.

I will say I am absolutely impressed with the picture that the JVC-2000/NX7 puts out. Once this is calibrated by Gregg Loewen, I am certain I am going to be even more impressed.

For those sitting on the fence...

Back in December, as I was waiting for my RS2000, I did a 2-week marathon of GAME OF THRONES on my Sony 1080p projector. I was very happy with the images I was watching and didn't think it could get any better. I was really worrying that I had spent a lot of money for an upgrade I may not see a benefit from. I mean, Blu-ray does look spectacular when projected. For most people, it's a highly satisfying visual experience.

Now that I have seen 4k projected, there is a new appreciation in what I am watching. There is a noticeable uptick in detail which sometimes does provide a jaw-dropping effect. I mean, that IMAX sequence at the end of Mission Impossible is just incredible! It's during those moments when you see what your home theater setup is cable of producing and you realize your hard-earned money was well spent."

Whilst my dealer and installer were drop off my new sub yesterday morning (JL Audio Fathom f113v2 replacing an old Martin Logan Depth) they told me they had received a white DLA-N5 for a customer, and the customer had let them check it over/try it out in their store demo theatre. Although the store doesn't have a projector at the moment (they sold their demo Sony VPL-VW550ES and are currently waiting for a DLA-N7) to A/B it against, and they were mostly using OOTB settings (with some tweaking) they told me that to their eyes the N5 compares very, very favourably to an X9900 they have had installed in their in store demo theatre in the past. 

Now up until this point my dealer and installer have been loathe to make any comments about the new native 4K JVC projectors, until they could actually see them in action, but both were very positive about the DLA-N5, and to be honest somewhat relieved that from now on when they're selling projectors (they are dealers for both Sony and JVC), their discussions with customers can now concentrate on overall picture quality performance rather than their customers focusing purely on getting a projector with native 4K resolution.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

Whilst my dealer and installer were drop off my new sub yesterday morning (JL Audio Fathom f113v2 replacing an old Martin Logan Depth) they told me they had received a white DLA-N5 for a customer, and the customer had let them check it over/try it out in their store demo theatre. Although the store doesn't have a projector at the moment (they sold their demo Sony VPL-VW550ES and are currently waiting for a DLA-N7) to A/B it against, and they were mostly using OOTB settings (with some tweaking) they told me that to their eyes the N5 compares very, very favourably to an X9900 they have had installed in their in store demo theatre in the past. 

Now up until this point my dealer and installer have been loathe to make any comments about the new native 4K JVC projectors, until they could actually see them in action, but both were very positive about the DLA-N5, and to be honest somewhat relieved that from now on when they're selling projectors (they are dealers for both Sony and JVC), their discussions with customers can now concentrate on overall picture quality performance rather than their customers focusing purely on getting a projector with native 4K resolution.

Further to my last post, this morning I went down to my dealer to pay for my sub, and they just happened to still have the DLA-N5 in their demo theatre, and I managed to wangle a quick viewing. 

The set up was DLA-N5, Stewart ST 130 2.35:1 130" diag. I don't know the throw distance (at a guess about 5 to 6m). I watched the start of the Baby Driver 4K Blu-ray (the chase scene at the start, so no high contrast or deeply black scenes, for about 10mins or so) and the projector was set up to project 2.35:1 using the zoom method, and was not using an anamorphic lens.

I'll put the caveat here that I am mainly comparing it to my 12 year old Sharpvision XV-Z21000 single chip DLP Full HD projector I'm using at the moment, which is specced by Sharp as having 1000 lumens and 12000:1 native contrast. The globe in my Sharp projector has about 1000 hours on it too, so it's probably a bit dim. I have very briefly seen a X7900 or X9900 (I didn't pay attention at the time when I saw it, and it was a while ago), and I have seen a bit more of a Sony VPL-VW550ES last year. When I saw the DLA-N5 this morning I didn't do any pixel peeping, other tests, or watch any other content, and I certainly don't profess to be an expert on video projectors or AV equipment in general. This is just my impression based on a short period of viewing.

First impressions, it's a big beast, certainly quite a chunky projector (although I think it being white didn't help). It was quiet in operation when showing HDR content, but I was sitting around 2m to 3m from the projector. I certainly didn't notice any fan noise or dynamic iris noise (although I don't know if the DI was turned on or not).

The image it threw was amply bright enough to do justice to HDR content in my opinion (and bright enough to be comfortable to view without washing out the picture too much with the lights on and door to the room open when we tried that). The colours were nicely saturated and looked quite natural to my eye. The picture was calm, and motion control was great and looked natural without any SOE (CMD was on low). The detail was excellent with a nice and sharp picture, and contrast was just awesome with good dark blacks, with maintained detail, and without any crushing (but keep in mind I'm comparing it to the "grey" blacks my DLP projector!). Overall the picture had pop, depth, great colour saturation, and a certain three dimensionality to it. Like many people have commented on the AVS threads it was almost like watching a big OLED (not quite imo, its hard to beat my Panasonic OLED, but it was pretty close when you consider it's a projector). Compared to what I remember of the VPL-VW550ES (which I saw in the same room), my memory is that the Sony had greyer blacks than the DLA-N5 does (but there may be some bias creeping in there). Plus no RBE, thank god!!!

Overall my impression was/is very, very positive, and I feel if I'm that impressed with the DLA-N5, then I think I'll be blown away by the DLA-N7, given that on paper it's meant to have twice the native and dynamic contrast than the DLA-N5 and slightly more lumens.   

Edit: spelling, additional info     

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Is this first impressions of n5 in oz :) good on you davo for sharing what thought of it :)

No worries at all Al, happy to share!

Getting to see a DLA-N5 in action reinforced to me that I made the right decision to wait (patiently) for my DLA-N7. JVC, if you're reading this please hurry up!!!!

I'll be even happier when I can give some thoughts about my DLA-N7 when it arrives!?

• Like 4